Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Red Dots

Downloads
    Uploads

Pistol Red Dots

I've been wanting to run a red dot on a pistol for a while but I'm not completely sold on the long term durability of slide-mounted optics.

I don't really feel comfortable buying an RMR now, with a good possibility of having to replace it in a few years. Hopefully in a few years there will be a pistol that's specifically designed to run an optic, and an optic that will be durable enough to mount on a handgun slide. But until that time, I figured I would get used to a pistol/red dot combo with the ALG six second mount.

I finished stippling and modifying a new G17 frame today, and the mount came in a few hours ago. Just waiting on a new trigger set up to come in, and everything will be installed and tested!

ps. I was just really excited about getting the mount in and thought I would share/rant

pps. I have no idea where the dings in the second image came from. The mount is new and I'm kinda bummed that it arrived that way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have read good things about that mount. I like that it does not reciprocate with the slide, but I have yet to run one yet. Looks like it may have been dropped or dinged on something before coating/anodizing, bummer but should function fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My problem with running a red dot on a pistol is simple. Not only would I need practice using it, but I'd have to design a special holster to carry it. Perhaps someday I'll try it just for the heck of it, but, I certainly don't envision putting one on my 1911 .45 which is my preferred pistol.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've thought a lot about building race guns of sorts, bot AR and Pistol. It would be totally awesome to have but I also think even if you have the best of the best stuff practice is what makes all the difference. That said the idea to have a pistol with a slide mounted red dot where I can dream of double tapping 3 separate targets in just a couple of seconds ala Jerry Miculek...

Then I kind of realized there is a whole lot more to it than just having the stuff.

As for the dings on the mount is there any way to return it and get one that isn't nicked up like that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    practice is what makes all the difference.
    So true. That's another reason I went with the ALG v. a slide mounted RMR. Its not a permanent modification so if it turns out I REALLY don't like using a handgun with a dot, or if it starts to effect my ability to use pistol sights, I can just take it off and use the T-1 on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    As for the dings on the mount is there any way to return it and get one that isn't nicked up like that?
    I can probably get it exchanged but the mount is going to get dinged up anyways, so stuff like that isn't a big deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going with an RMR (my first) on my M&P CORE

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have tried just about every brand and multiple reticles and none seem to work well on a pistol. The long eye relief leaves me hunting for the dot much longer than it takes to aim and fire with standard sights. The reflections off the glass on sunny days is no fun either. They look neat on a pistol but function poorly IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    schambers and Uwone.... once you guys get your pistols set up with these RMR's or whatever you intend to use will you write up a short review of your experiences? It doesn't have to be anything huge...

I am just curious as to more opinions of people with real world ownership...what are the pros, what are the cons....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tried the 7 MOA amber dot and the 12.9 MOA green triangle RMR's and just never felt like it was any improvement over the fantastic Trijicon irons that come on the FN. I ran the 2 MOA Docter a good bit but ultimately took that off too. Of those 3 the Docter was my favorite.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pistol Red Dots

People are quick to ditch the red dot. Of course it will be slower at first. It takes practice like anything else. Additionally one needs to make small adjustments to presentation in the draw stroke. The more you use the dot the more you see some of the little quirks already present in your stroke and trigger press as the dot gives instant feedback. Amber dots wash out, and I don't really see the justification for anything above 6 MOA dot. Using a T1 and that god awful mount just seems ridiculous. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I only run RMRs and have used the adjustable 6.5 for a G20, but my g19 carry is a 3.5 MOA that is always on. Sure it isn't for everyone, but it takes patience and some work......one can't expect it to be instant.

Downloads
    Uploads

Installed the six second mount and put in a zev trigger group and other small fiddly bits.

You can see a video of the install and some initial impressions here:

Downloads
    Uploads
    The video wont play for me.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    The video wont play for me.
    try it now

Downloads
    Uploads
    sort of want alg rail but...mehhhhhh

Downloads
    Uploads
    nice vid
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)