Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Slippers has once again proven that he knows his stuff. Thanks guys for all the answers.

When I get a chance to shoot some with the adjustable gas block on there I think I will tinker around with it and see if the manufacturer's suggested settings do anything.

But like I said it ran like a charm with a standard gas block so worst case scenario I will open it up all the way and run like normal until my suppressor gets here... then I will mess with it again.

And duly noted about the chart :)

Oh, I do have a question though... one more... do you ever have to clean the port on the adjustable gas block? I mean if there is a bunch of dirty gas blasting through there it only makes sense that it needs to be cleaned every now and again. Yes? No?
    I have SLR adj blocks on all my guns now... I love them. I have not cleaned the port itself, but you will want to adjust the screw that changes the settings every so often. I do it when I clean the gun. Otherwise, with all the crap from the suppressor can potentially lock up the adjustment screw. On the Sentry, it's not as big of an issue since there is the inspection cover or whatever it is. You can remove that and put some CLP on the parts and they will break free (speaking from experience). I had an older model SLR block that the adj screw locked up so tight I stripped out the head trying to break it loose. I never adjusted that one once I got it set for my loads. Todd was nice enough to send me a replacement, and the upgrade to the Sentry model to boot. Andsince then, I make a point to adjust them on occasion.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    I have SLR adj blocks on all my guns now... I love them. I have not cleaned the port itself, but you will want to adjust the screw that changes the settings every so often. I do it when I clean the gun. Otherwise, with all the crap from the suppressor can potentially lock up the adjustment screw. On the Sentry, it's not as big of an issue since there is the inspection cover or whatever it is. You can remove that and put some CLP on the parts and they will break free (speaking from experience). I had an older model SLR block that the adj screw locked up so tight I stripped out the head trying to break it loose. I never adjusted that one once I got it set for my loads. Todd was nice enough to send me a replacement, and the upgrade to the Sentry model to boot. Andsince then, I make a point to adjust them on occasion.
    This is good information to know. So every now and again just click it around a bit... maybe close it off and open it to keep it from locking up.... About how often are we talking I do that?

Again extremely valuable information. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    This is good information to know. So every now and again just click it around a bit... maybe close it off and open it to keep it from locking up.... About how often are we talking I do that?

Again extremely valuable information. Thank you.
    I think I do it when I clean the gun... when I think of it. The one I had that locked up (older style) probably had 500-1000 rounds thru it, 90% suppressed. I probably adjust the current one (Sentry) every 200 rounds or so? And all I do is adjust fully one direction then the other -and make sure you count clicks so you can put it back to the same setting! If you forget, or it does freeze up, all you have to do is remove the small screw and plate on the side and add some CLP to the parts. Then carefully try to adjust the setting screw. You'll find that it will break up the crap and start moving again pretty easily.

And unless you are shooting suppressed, it's probably not needed. But trust me.. .once you get your can, there is no reason NOT to shoot suppressed all the time!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    But trust me.. .once you get your can, there is no reason NOT to shoot suppressed all the time!
    I trust you and the ATF already has my money

I can only hope that they will not take forever....but I am trying not to think about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    So many things can affect the ejection path. The above chart has lead far too many people to chase down non-existent problems.

Different strength ejection springs, extractor springs/o-rings, buffer springs, buffer weights, BCG weight, and ammo. Not to mention upper receiver design, like a Vltor MUR vs a forged ejects different due to the shape of the deflector.

I wish that chart had never circulated all over the internet.

With regards to your original question: if the rifle cycled fine without the adjustable gas block, then the gas port on your barrel is probably correct, as is your combination of buffer spring and buffer weight. You can run it wide open without any issues.

Once you have your suppressor just try it out first, and see if the recoil increases, and whether you get excessive gas in your face. You can then try turning the gas block down until you get it where you want it.

Ejection path doesn't really mean anything unless you're having malfunctions. A lot of people will argue against this, of course. It's the internet, afterall.
    +1....I agree totally with you but at the same I do have mixed opinion on the chart.

You are totally spot on that so many things can affect the ejection pattern and I like to point out that I definitely do not trust it with 300 BLK since the case is shorter and impacts the upper differently than 556 does.

However, I think that if all the variables are known then why ignore the ejection pattern?

Having a 1 o'clock ejection pattern is a SYMPTOM of overgassing but again is not 100% accurate.

If someone is coughing that doesn't mean that person has the flu does it? Of course not, however if someone is PROVEN to be having the flu then coughing is to be expected.

Likewise, 100% of the time when I encounter a 556/223 AR/M16 that IS overgassed, it WILL eject at the 1 o'clock area while a properly gassed AR will eject more around the 3:30 - 4:30 area....but this is with a milspec upper, BCG etc...

Just like seen in the video below.
    Crane spec's out .070 for the 10.3" MK18, M855 and H2 buffer and it runs at 830 RPM and clearly ejects around the 4 o'clock area.
    While running a suppressor at the same .070" port it is overgassed and clearly ejects around the 1 o'clock area.
    How do we know we know it is overgassed? You can clearly see an increase of almost 200 RPM faster in the cyclic rate and all the gas blowing out of the ejection area and in your face. You can also feel the increase in recoil when overgassed.
    Running a .049" port brings the full auto ROF back down to where it should be, lack of gas being thrown out of the ejection port, ejection back in the 4 o'clock area and a much smoother recoil impulse.
    So it obviously PROVEN to be overgassed since the same exact firearm and ammo is now functioning fine with a .049 gas port.

Again, I definitely see your point about ignoring the ejection pattern and I think the issue here is that too many people don't have a baseline to compare it to. If you just look at an AR firing and see the it ejects at 1 O'clock then you don't go through the steps of quantitatively making the gas port smaller then you really don't know if it is overgassed or not.

However, ignoring the ejection pattern in what is clearly overgassed in an AR/M16 that IS actually PROVEN to be so wouldn't be very observant for troubleshooting POSSIBLE issues.

Robert - President of MicroMOA http://micromoa.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did my first shooting with my new gas block today... man... that thing makes a difference. The instructions say 'most AR's will run on position 5-7'... on position 5 my bolt will not lock back. On position 6 it will. I shot the gun on several positions and my shots were all over the board. Adjusting the gas seemed to effect accuracy but I will take my sled out and confirm. On the different settings I was getting vastly different impact points and spreads. That said I JUST reinstalled my scope back on my rifle so there is a possibility of that having an effect but it appears that altering the gas alters the accuracy (at least at first glance).

The most I went up to was setting 8 (out of 15). I tailored my rounds to run on a standard block and was getting sub MOA with that so I am guessing if I open it all the way up I would replicate that. At first look that gas block is adding a whole new element to my attempts to be 'very accurate' (sub moa) and maybe to load development.

I will break out the sled tomorrow and do more testing and try to document what happens.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 5 June 2015 at 19:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look forward to hearing about your results with the sled.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Look forward to hearing about your results with the sled.
    One thing I already found... I was suspicious at first but I just sat the rifle down until I had a fresh mind where I could check it over. Just now I found the front screw on my scope mount was loose.... really loose. I think I found the culprit right there but there is no telling.

My little bit of shooting this evening was rather hastily arranged so I think there was also a fair amount of shooter error. (Basically I left work kind of irritated but the weather was nice so I figured I would try to do something to get my mind clear)... long story short I was shooting but not paying attention to details like I normally do. I was just trying to have some fun.

I think the scope mount coming lose explains a lot... but I am still going to do my tests just because I want to and because it's America . I'm going to sleep on it and see if I can come up with a good way to test. I do know now though that scope problem or not, position 6 is the minimum to lock my bolt back. This much I know.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 5 June 2015 at 21:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A quick report... I didn't have all day to mess with things so I will have to have an ongoing test as I see this is going to be a long process.

First off somehow or another my scope was off. So after I tightened everything down I didn't touch anything adjustment wise, but I did fix the loose mount problem.

I did several small test batches starting with setting 6. I started there because that is the minimum before my bolt will not lock back.

On setting 6 3 shots were all 3" high and 1" to the left of my aim point.**

Without changing a thing I put it on setting 7.

3 shots were 1 1/2" high 1" left.

Without changing a thing I put it on setting 8 still using the same exact aim point.

3 shots were 2 1/2" high and 1" left

----

With setting 6 and setting 8 my groups were about an inch or so in a clear cut triangle pattern. With setting 7 I stacked 2 shots that were literally a same hole impact and one shot was about 1/2" left of the other two.

Maybe it was the luck of the draw but I chose setting 7 and re-zeroed my rifle. Before I was all done I was able to get 7 shots on a 3/4 inch sticker that I was using for my aim point. I had a couple of flyers. I just counted and I had 7 on and 3 flyers, which could have been shooter error, mixed brass or any number of things.

Now that I know I am zeroed at setting 7 I am going to revisit this over time. I got it set to where it works so that's all good.

So now going forward I can use that as a baseline to test impact shifts. To me though even though my batches were kind of small samples I at least think I was seeing a difference in impact. It's still a hypothesis and a theory not a proven fact, but over time I will try different gas settings and see if there is noticeable shift.

**I hadn't noticed but I had changed the horizontal knob two clicks to the left when I was using the old upper and never put it back until after this test when I was re zeroing.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 6 June 2015 at 16:15.