Downloads
    Uploads

Accuracy Evaluation of a Noveske 14.5” Afghan Upper

Accuracy Evaluation of a Noveske 14.5” Afghan Upper

This is a Noveske assembled upper group based on the 14.5” stainless steel Noveske Afghan barrel. This barrel has a medium contour and a 0.750” diameter gas block journal. The gas block journal for this barrel is designed for Noveske’s low profile gas block and the journal is only one inch in length; standard length gas blocks will not work with this barrel.

The chamber found in this barrel is Noveske’s proprietary Noveske Match mod 0 chamber that “was developed to fire MK262 Mod 1 on AUTO in hot environments." The barrel has a 1:7” twist and polygonal rifling. The barrel extension has “M4” feed-ramps.

This upper comes with a Vltor MUR upper receiver with a forward assist. The barrel is free-floated in Noveske’s version of the SWS railed free-float hand-guard. Since the unwashed masses in my state are not allowed to own an SBR, this unit has an S.E. Vortex flash-hider pinned and welded to the muzzle.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Noveske 14.5” Afghan barreled upper from my bench-rest set-up following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The free-float hand-guard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ˝ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

Three 10-shot groups fired from the Afghan upper at a distance of 100 yards using the match grade hand-loads had extreme spreads of:

0.993”
    0.941”
    1.004”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 0.98”. I over-layed the three 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.33”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

The 30-shot composite group . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice work up, but what is that solo cup gauge? A wind gauge?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure it doesn't hurt that you're a great shooter Molon.

Thanks for posting this. I have this exact Noveske Afghan Upper with the SWS rail and the pinned Smith FH. I don't have many rounds down range with it because I end up shooting the Recon more. By the looks of the results, I need to shoot it more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As said before, thanks for the time you put in to post up these results, i enjoy reading such..

Another thing " I need/want" is to try out a noveske barrel someday..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wonder how it does accuracy-wise with MK262.

Is the gap between the rail and the upper normal?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for sharing, as always Molon.

It looks like this Noveske barely out shoots the chrome-lined Colt 14.5" SOCOM you tested in 2010.