Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Third World State of MI
    Posts
    1,739
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I ran Rand head-to-head on my suppressed .22 pistol with FIREClean, and neither allowed carbon to "stick", really, but the FIREClean lubed pistol felt slick and smooth after I was done shooting while the Rand felt like I was racking it through sand. I am a big fan of Jon Miodonka (*sp), and have to say, I was frustrated by these results, but I used what worked. I now use FIRECLEAN.

    That said, I have corresponded with George Fennel for years, ever since he invented Weaponshield, in fact. I have not yet really done a suppressed-fire test with his WS, though, as FC was working so well. That changes this morning. My DDM4 is spotless and lubed with WS, and ready to go here in a bit. We will see!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Not surprised. I think people make too big a deal out of certain things when it comes to firearms. Lube is one of them, especially when the majority of people shoot so little each year that it doesn't really matter what kind they use. :)
    I have been using Rand CLP and just this past year I broke the 2500 round count on my NTD build and around the same round count on my M&P9 I have notice the same results as JGifford, the sandy gritty feel when I would go extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. And like Slippers mention before my round count wasn't high enough for me to really say what is good and what isn't. With the lower round count the Rand worked fine even going extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. I am still using Rand but just make it a point to clean it after every other range session. But currently I am dealing with time crunches as things are picking up for me and my family. I am in the position now to start looking for something different. I had thought about using frog lube but after reading some of the comments about it here on wevo I dropped that thought completely. I have heard nothing but positive things about FC and with videos above on WS I am split on my decision now. Maybe I will run FC in the rifle and WS in the pistol. Still undecided.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,583
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I have yet to find anything that is clearly superior to Mobil 1. Considering that I purchase it by the drum I would imagine I spend about 50 cents a year on lube.
    I use some royal purple from time-to-time, basically the same thing. Gotta love the cost/volume ratio on motor oil. :)
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,593
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    RP is certainly some good lubricants. I run their ATF in my race transmissions.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    RP is certainly some good lubricants. I run their ATF in my race transmissions.
    I blame RP on trashing my Trans Am's rear-end. All was fine except a bad wheel bearing at 75K miles, and we replaced it with another, as well as filling the diff with Royal Purple. A few thousand miles later, the pinion bearing actually spun in its housing, and the bearings were purple from heat. The diff was full of lube when drained. It wasn't leaking/running dry. Replaced with whatever the shop had on hand, and drove it another 65K miles no problem. Also, every UOA I have seen of Royal Purple shows massive amounts of shearing.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I have been using Rand CLP and just this past year I broke the 2500 round count on my NTD build and around the same round count on my M&P9 I have notice the same results as JGifford, the sandy gritty feel when I would go extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. And like Slippers mention before my round count wasn't high enough for me to really say what is good and what isn't. With the lower round count the Rand worked fine even going extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. I am still using Rand but just make it a point to clean it after every other range session. But currently I am dealing with time crunches as things are picking up for me and my family. I am in the position now to start looking for something different. I had thought about using frog lube but after reading some of the comments about it here on wevo I dropped that thought completely. I have heard nothing but positive things about FC and with videos above on WS I am split on my decision now. Maybe I will run FC in the rifle and WS in the pistol. Still undecided.
    I have used FC with great results for 2 years now almost. HOWEVER...I have also talked to people who say FC is nothing but Crisco (per spectroanalysis, which is a bit hard to argue with...), and others who say it has gummed up on them like Rand and Froglube have done for me. However, I have had BCG's set aside lubed with FireClean for the better part of a year that are just fine.

    I shot some WS in my M4 today, and it DID feel a bit gritty to me after 1-150 rounds suppressed. That said, it did wipe up just the same as FC has done for me. I wonder if maybe using a bit less WS would work better. The thing about FC, is that it seems to evaporate off to JUST the right amount, while other products kindof require you to be smart and only use what you actually need.

    Of note, the front half of the bolt was still wet with WS, after my range day this morning.

    Also, un-related, I noted a 4 MOA shift zeroing my irons looking through my T2 vs. removing the T2.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,583
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I blame RP on trashing my Trans Am's rear-end. All was fine except a bad wheel bearing at 75K miles, and we replaced it with another, as well as filling the diff with Royal Purple. A few thousand miles later, the pinion bearing actually spun in its housing, and the bearings were purple from heat. The diff was full of lube when drained. It wasn't leaking/running dry. Replaced with whatever the shop had on hand, and drove it another 65K miles no problem. Also, every UOA I have seen of Royal Purple shows massive amounts of shearing.
    From what I've seen, RP does have a love/hate relationship among car owners. I wouldn't know though, I don't use it in any of our vehicles. My friend moved out of state and left a few bottles behind, so I use it as gun lube.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    From what I've seen, RP does have a love/hate relationship among car owners. I wouldn't know though, I don't use it in any of our vehicles. My friend moved out of state and left a few bottles behind, so I use it as gun lube.
    I've observed the same love/hate with it.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    FireClean is just Crisco at an insane mark-up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •