Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Quarter" Minute of Angle

“Quarter” Minute of Angle

Here’s a simple exercise that you can conduct to assess the consistency of the overall performance of your AR-15, ammunition, scope and zero. You will need to down-load the 100-yard target (in .pdf format) that is pictured below, from the link at the end of this article.

As you can see in the pic above, the target consists of the images of ten U.S. quarters in a row, on an 8.5” x 11” piece of paper. The nominal diameter of a U.S. quarter is 0.955”; in other words, it is a sub-minute of angle target at a distance of 100 yards.

Post the target at a distance of 100 yards from your shooting point. Shooting from any position that you choose, with or without any support that you want, fire one shot and one shot only, at each of the ten “quarters” on the target. In order to score a “hit” on an individual quarter, the center of your bullet-impact must break the outline of the quarter.

The quarters should be shot at in consecutive order (left to right or right to left) in order to more easily keep track of any “collateral damage” (hitting one quarter when you were actually aiming at another.) Take as much time as you like in-between each shot, but at the end of the exercise you can only have ten bullet holes on the target.

As an example, the target pictured below was shot from the bench using one of my Krieger barreled AR-15s with match-grade hand-loads.

Is the performance of your AR-15, ammunition, scope and zero consistent enough to make a single shot on a sub-minute of angle target 100% of the time; ten out of ten attempts? 90% of the time; 9 out of 10 attempts? 50% of the time; 5 out of 10 attempts? Down-load the target and find out!

Link to target, in .pdf format:

https://app.box.com/shared/static/twlxs1twkc.pdf

….
    Last edited by Molon; 5 August 2015 at 17:45.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to try it

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    No sweat :)

It will fun to give it a go though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll have to print this and take it to my friends ranch where he has a range set up with bench rest and try this. Was just up there a couple weeks ago and got my red dot optic sighted in perfectly too including using the 3x magnifier. Once we had it all zeroed we did a 5 shot group and he wanted me to have all the shots fit inside a nickel. Well, they didn't. They did fit inside something between a quarter and half dollar though. The Vortex Strikefire II is a 3 MOA red dot so that's about as good as it will get I suspect at 100 yards. What I should do is do this exercise with the iron sights. I know I can do it with my .303 Lee Enfield.
    Last edited by WHSmithIV; 7 July 2015 at 18:20.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good stuff, excellent post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have saved the target. I will call Richard tomorrow and set up a day when he has some free time. I'm going to do this. I'll print a few of them and then, I'll post the results.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. Will do later on..

Too busy to try it anytime soon, but got some newer cooked up loads i want to try out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would be fun to make it a timed drill. 5-10 seconds per shot or something...shoot under stress to determine results in less than ideal circumstances

I really like the idea behind this. I'm going to share it with some folks...thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would be fun as a challenge for WEVO.

Gonna give 'er a shot.

Post pics of your results!
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I have saved the target. I will call Richard tomorrow and set up a day when he has some free time. I'm going to do this. I'll print a few of them and then, I'll post the results.
    Any results to report?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really cool idea ! I've downloaded and will also forward to friends as a challenge.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does this count as results?
    Shot with a Rainier Arms Ultramatch .223 Wylde at 100yd. It groups around 0.4 in at that range with match ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    Does this count as results?
    Shot with a Rainier Arms Ultramatch .223 Wylde at 100yd. It groups around 0.4 in at that range with match ammo.

NICE. What optic and ammo/reload combo do you use to get .4" groups?

Downloads
    Uploads
    BC,

Was this the upper you were dropping a bunch of coin on? If so, I remember the quality components!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    NICE. What optic and ammo/reload combo do you use to get .4" groups?
    I have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 fine crosshair with dot in a ADM QD mount on top and I'm able to achieve those groups consistently with the only match ammo I've been able to get my hands on locally, Winchester .223 69gr Matchking HPBT.
    I haven't dabbled in reloading yet but I have a feeling that when I do, I'll be stacking hits at the same distance.