Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG Question

Downloads
    Uploads

BCG Question

I am currently running a BCG from Rainier Arms.

The one I run is here:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-bcg-phosphate

I was recently looking around and I saw that Rainier also offers this one:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-a...-phosphate-bcg

Realistically what is the difference between the two? Would I see any performance upgrade by going with the latter?

What's the deal between these two? Why is one "Match" and the other not?

I am very pleased with what I am using now... but if there is something to be gained by upgrading I would like to know what it would be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hummm just noticed these also not too long ago

Appears at a quick glance and not truly knowing, the radius/angle cut better design, stamped vs (asuming billet stock) extractor and maybe gas key also?

im not totally sure, assuming someone will correct me or whatnot

Downloads
    Uploads
    The difference between the two is the profile and additional mass of the latter is supposed to allow a more consistent bolt lock up. Some newer BCG's also have a slightly flared tail on the carrier that also supposed to increase this. I have no experience in how much this helps though and have had great luck with regular FA profiled carriers. If you're not currently having issues I wouldn't change out the BCG.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    If you're not currently having issues I wouldn't change out the BCG.
    If it ain't broke... LOL

I am more than pleased with what I have now. For sure. That said I think I am going to start buying parts starting with things that are 'wear out' or 'break down' parts... those parts will eventually turn into another rifle but I am ok with that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Realistically what is the difference between the two? Would I see any performance upgrade by going with the latter?

What's the deal between these two? Why is one "Match" and the other not?

I am very pleased with what I am using now... but if there is something to be gained by upgrading I would like to know what it would be.
    Realistically, the difference you'll sell between the two is one will remove a few more dollars from your account. Actual range use? I doubt you'd see any difference or a quantifiable difference. Both run, if you like the looks of the other vs the next, go for it as your wallet allows.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Realistically, the difference you'll sell between the two is one will remove a few more dollars from your account. Actual range use? I doubt you'd see any difference or a quantifiable difference. Both run, if you like the looks of the other vs the next, go for it as your wallet allows.
    I was thinking the same thing but I didn't know for sure so I didn't want to say it LOL!

As I said before, I'm very pleased with what I have now. I am not big on coatings and low mass or any of that other jive. I think what I have is good enough so I don't know how it would "fix" anything or do anything really that much better.

All that said I see BCGs priced all over the place. Other than the basics of using good material, proper staking, etc I'm not really sure how to separate out the so so ones from the top tier or at least the better ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Fathom enhanced BCG is getting great reviews. I'm not sure if they are made by the same company, but the BCG in the new Hodge AU-MOD 2 and the one in Erathr3's rifle look like rebranded Fathom enhanced BCG's.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the same money, I think the standard Fathom carrier is where it's at. Obviously, I'm a big fan of Rainier, but the nitride coating is really winning me over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    For the same money, I think the standard Fathom carrier is where it's at. Obviously, I'm a big fan of Rainier, but the nitride coating is really winning me over.
    What's the deal with the nitride coating? What is better about that than say phosphate?

I'm really just picking ya'lls brains some because I don't know what's special about coatings of almost any kind when it boils right down to performance.

That said I pretty much don't consider many things until they pass the WEVO test. I guess I just go straight for the top shelf LOL. That's mainly because I don't want the hassle of sub par stuff (maybe I'm spoiled in a way...I don't know), but buy good once, cry once...buy crap and cry a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nitride coating is actually a surface treatment that is actually bonded into the surface of the carrier rather than just a coating, it is harder and slicker than both NiB and phosphate coatings.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nitride coating is actually a surface treatment that is actually bonded into the surface of the carrier rather than just a coating, it is harder and slicker than both NiB and phosphate coatings.
    I know they nitride barrels. I assume it's the same treatment? If so I wouldn't really classify that as a "coating" per se. I don't know but there could be virtue in that. I don't know what the end result is by doing that to a BCG.

If the surface of the metal is physically harder though that's a difference that I need to think over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a thread where DutyUse did a torture test on the Fathom Arms Enhanced BCG without lube. In his review he showed pics where the black nitride treatment had rubbed off. Fathom responded and said that the nitride treatment was still in place because it wasn't a coating, that it actually bonded into the metal. Fathom stated how deep the treatment actually goes but I don't remember the actual depth. You can take a 1911 slide that has had a nitride treatment and polish the surface away to it appears to be black chrome.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    If nothing else the nitride treatment has minimal growth unlike coatings which allows more control of tolerances.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Black Nitride is a brand name for Ferritic Nitrocarburizing. It's also known as Melonite, tennifer, or QPQ. Basically it's a process where you dip the parts into a salt bath at 800-1100* F. Carbon and nitrogen are absorbed at a molecular level hardening the steel in the process. The black color is actually from post process oxidation and is a side effect that has no bearing on the hardness or durability of the part. It is heavily used in the motorsports industry and is surprisingly cheap. IIRC 6 pistons cost around $300 to process about 2 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Fathom enhanced BCG is getting great reviews. I'm not sure if they are made by the same company, but the BCG in the new Hodge AU-MOD 2 and the one in Erathr3's rifle look like rebranded Fathom enhanced BCG's.
    Re-branded Fathom BCG's? Fathom does not make a BCG.

QPQ has several advantages.

#1, it is easy to clean
    #2, THEORETICALLY it offers improved durability. Why?
    a) A QPQ cam-pin wears much less. This creates less "slop" and subsequently shock-loading during operation.
    b) QPQ treated steel on non-QPQ treated steel, sans any lubricant, has a lower coefficient of friction than does steel on steel, both un-treated. This means that the axial loading on the rear of the locking lugs is THEORETICALLY lessened. Which THEORETICALLY will lend to longer bolt-lug life.

The BCG's that FATHOM Arms sells are some of, if not the nicest/best machined BCG's out there, barring a hand-polished JP.
    Last edited by JGifford; 12 July 2015 at 04:14.