Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCG Question

Downloads
    Uploads
    I knew some people would weigh in with better knowledge than I about the nitride treatment.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I know they nitride barrels. I assume it's the same treatment? If so I wouldn't really classify that as a "coating" per se. I don't know but there could be virtue in that. I don't know what the end result is by doing that to a BCG.

If the surface of the metal is physically harder though that's a difference that I need to think over.
    The black nitride treatment is actually a two "layer" treatment process. The black you see on the outside is a Iron Oxide coating. That coating provides some lubricity, hardness, and sex appeal. When that wears, the nitrogen diffusion layer is exposed underneath. This layer is actually the important part. It changes the metals molecular structure and penetrates the metal around .0005" deep. It provides increased hardness (70 rockwell, off the top of my head), lower friction coefficient, and lubricity (mainly due to the extremely low friction coefficient).

You would be correct. Its a treatment. The Iron Oxide layer could be considered a coating but it is considerable thinner than phosphate or plating (NiB). One of the biggest advantages about nitride is that you do not need to worry about tolerance stacking. You can machine true to spec and not worry about any dimensional changes once the treatment is performed.
    Premium AR-15 parts for the customer who demands reliability and quality.
    www.FathomArms.com
    Facebook
    Instagram
    sales@fathomarms.com (817) 374-2596
    Fathom Arms URG Review
    Fathom Arms Mil-Spec BCG Review

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fathom_Arms View Post
    The black nitride treatment is actually a two "layer" treatment process. The black you see on the outside is a Iron Oxide coating. That coating provides some lubricity, hardness, and sex appeal. When that wears, the nitrogen diffusion layer is exposed underneath. This layer is actually the important part. It changes the metals molecular structure and penetrates the metal around .0005" deep. It provides increased hardness (70 rockwell, off the top of my head), lower friction coefficient, and lubricity (mainly due to the extremely low friction coefficient).

You would be correct. Its a treatment. The Iron Oxide layer could be considered a coating but it is considerable thinner than phosphate or plating (NiB). One of the biggest advantages about nitride is that you do not need to worry about tolerance stacking. You can machine true to spec and not worry about any dimensional changes once the treatment is performed.
    Fort Worth? You're right up the road from me :) (about 2 hours) LOL

I have studied a bit about how they treat barrels so I have a pretty good idea what you are saying. Now that said how is phosphate done? (I don't have any idea) Do you know how hard phosphate is?

Also what is the underlying rockwell hardness of the metal being used in a standard BCG? I am able to relate somewhat to rockwell numbers because thats what they use to test (good) knives...

I am trying to think it through so that I can understand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Phosphate is a coating usually applied by dipping. Phosphoric acid and salt is the agent used. It's actually a form of pickling. Hard to compare Rockwell from one type of treatment to another. Too high of a RW# can indicate embrittlement with phosphates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Phosphate is a coating usually applied by dipping. Phosphoric acid and salt is the agent used. It's actually a form of pickling. Hard to compare Rockwell from one type of treatment to another. Too high of a RW# can indicate embrittlement with phosphates.
    Do you know what the hardness is of the basic metal used in BCGs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use to be a dyed in the wool Phosphate BCG user until I tried the Fathom. Now almost every rifle I own runs one. Excellent products, can't recommend them highly enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I use to be a dyed in the wool Phosphate BCG user until I tried the Fathom. Now almost every rifle I own runs one. Excellent products, can't recommend them highly enough.

Now that's a collection of Fathom BCG's!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What, no subdued logo Fathom BCG?
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks awesome! As ya'll know I am still relatively new to the AR game so I only have one rifle (as of right now) but based on a few things: 1) wevo has yet to recommend anything 'crap' to me yet. When you have 5, 6, or 7 people on wevo saying 'get this'... odds are it's gonna be awesome. 2) the nitride thing sounds pretty interesting. 3) it looks pretty bad ass.

In the short term I want to have a 'uh oh' kit just in case something goes out I won't be left up a creek until I can fix it. A spare BCG is high on that list because at least based on my logic moving parts, especially ones that are getting hot and getting slammed around might be the first to wear out or break, specifically I mean gas rings and kotter pins and so forth. I might be totally wrong but that's my thinking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I think we need Fathom Arms T-Shirts. A big ace of spades logo right in the center like a big superman logo... that would be awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of an 'uh oh' kit, what do all ya'll think I should get? Where should I get them from? I have no idea where to get spare gas rings, kotter pins, or whatever else I might need.

Based on your (collective) knowledge what parts are most prone to wearing out?

I am still probably going to get a spare BCG... I don't want to be out in the field shooting and have a gas ring go out and then just blow the whole day, but I still want to get a little kit of stuff that is prone to wear out or break.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would get spare bolt instead of a whole BCG.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of an 'uh oh' kit, what do all ya'll think I should get? Where should I get them from? I have no idea where to get spare gas rings, kotter pins, or whatever else I might need.

Based on your (collective) knowledge what parts are most prone to wearing out?

I am still probably going to get a spare BCG... I don't want to be out in the field shooting and have a gas ring go out and then just blow the whole day, but I still want to get a little kit of stuff that is prone to wear out or break.
    Spare Bolts <---plural. Shoot enough, you will break bolts. Gas rings, and cotter pins (since I lose one from time to time)

Downloads
    Uploads

BCG Question

I think we need Fathom Arms T-Shirts. A big ace of spades logo right in the center like a big superman logo... that would be awesome.
    For a logo I really dig the Fathom Spade. It's neck and neck with the Ol iron cross from Noveske. In fact the Fathom Spade is the only "tactical" sticker on my truck. Kinda sad they went with the new logo.. It's still looks good but that Spade peaking out the ejection port looks killer IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I really wanted one, but you couldn't order then directly from Fathom. Not sure if Blacksheep are still offering them now
    Last edited by DutyUse; 12 July 2015 at 17:48.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Spare Bolts <---plural. Shoot enough, you will break bolts. Gas rings, and cotter pins (since I lose one from time to time)
    Rainier Arms doesn't have them on their website. Ideally I would like to get a a couple cotter pins, a couple of sets of spare gas rings, and a couple of spare bolts. Ideally it will be the bolt that matches my carrier (hence why I would prefer to get it from Rainier) but I don't know if that matters or not.

Where can I round up those spare parts (something good and reliable) considering that I might not be able to get them from RA?