Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

American Defense UIC Upper

In my quest to find an upper receiver that matches with my AXTS AX556 lower I went ahead and purchased an American Defense UIC upper to see what it looked like. I think that it matches well with the AX556 but the finish on it leaves a lot to be desired compared to the finish on the AX556 lower, anything CMT Tactical or pretty much any other billet upper receiver. I contacted ADM customer service about the poor finishing/anodizing and was told that this lack of finishing (in my opinion) is representative of all UIC upper receivers that are anodized. They even stated that cerakote would do a better job of hiding the machine marks. I might be a bit crazy but having to cerakote a brand new $200 receiver out of the box is unacceptable. I haven't decided if I'm going to return it or ask for a replacement but the finishing sucks and isn't what it should be for a billet upper. Anyway, here are the pictures:

UPDATE 7/14:

After a couple less than satisfying emails from ADM customer service I got one today that was very professional and informative from Sam C. They have been going thru a bit of growing pains in expanding into the AR market right now and the upper I received is not acceptable in their eyes. It was produced several months ago and slipped thru QC and they want it back. They are going to send out a replacement from a recent run and are positive it will meet current expectations as compared to others in the industry. Updated pictures to come once new UIC upper is received. I suspect it will be what I expected it to be when I placed my initial order a couple weeks ago.

UPDATE 10/14:

Sent another email to Sam C. on 10/5 to inquire the status of the new upper. I have not received a response yet. Not sure what to think at this point. 3 months and nothing.

UPDATE 10/23:

Replacement upper arrived out of the blue today. The finishing is much better and more inline with what a billet upper should be.

Last edited by titanse05; 27 October 2015 at 07:46.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The machining looks like crap and no anodizing will make that look correct. I'd return that thing in a heartbeat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    The machining looks like crap and no anodizing will make that look correct. I'd return that thing in a heartbeat.
    +1 Wouldn't be happy with that if I'd gave $80 for it.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it's not stripped, but have you considered buying an AXTS upper? They're taking pre-orders.

http://axtsweapons.com/rifles/MI-T556-Upper-Receiver
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    +2 on returning it. No way I'd spend $200 on an upper and it look like that. Color I can fix machine marks, not so much...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I know it's not stripped, but have you considered buying an AXTS upper? They're taking pre-orders.

http://axtsweapons.com/rifles/MI-T556-Upper-Receiver
    Not for a second would I pay their asking price. Slap in the face to the current owners of the AX556.

I already asked them on a couple occasions to sell the stripped upper and handguard but was told no.

Not to mention that I've heard some not so flattering things about the owner of AXTS and his business practices so this AX556 and three Rainier Arms Raptors will be my last AXTS products.
    Last edited by titanse05; 13 July 2015 at 07:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For $200 it'd be going back if it were mine!
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    Not for a second would I pay their asking price. Slap in the face to the current owners of the AX556.

I already asked them on a couple occasions to sell the stripped upper and handguard but was told no.

Not to mention that I've heard some not so flattering things about the owner of AXTS and his business practices so this AX556 and three Rainier Arms Raptors will be my last AXTS products.
    Hate to hear that. Another upper that is missing that piece that may match up well is the San Tan.

flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    $1850 for an AXTS Complete Upper?

I think I'd rather have a SCAR-L or a KAC SR-15

Not sure what planet they're on with that pricing.

As far as the upper goes, if you don't like the finish, I'd certainly return it. With that said, personally, I'd just shoot it and not think twice. My OCD prevents me from owning too many lowers without matching uppers, so I would have sold the AXTS lower and bought something else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Hate to hear that. Another upper that is missing that piece that may match up well is the San Tan.

x2 That would look good, I think.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    As the guy who handles the final prep and QC for a manufacturer I say that is horseshit. That should've never gone out the door to get anodized much less deemed acceptable for sales and shipping.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely return it and require a full refund. I wouldn't by a complete upper either from them. That looks worse than a $40 blem upper receiver from Aero Precision and with the one I had, I couldn't even find what made it a blem. Looks like they need to reprogram their CNC machine.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This bothers me with something else too. I find it extremely unacceptable for you to be told that you should cerakote a $200 upper receiver. That's simply bullshit. I'm 100% with Viper on this. That should have been scrapped and re-melted. My daughter is a CNC machinist. Tolerances are in thousandths of inches. That has to be one of the worst machined receivers I have ever seen get sent to anybody.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OP is updated. ADM is going to attempt to rectify the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear brother, look forward to seeing what the new upper looks like.
    flickr
    facebook