Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it necessary to pin the gas block?

How often if at all do low profile gas blocks loosen? On the first rifle I built I used a 87industries pin block. I am not sure if I want to pin the gas block on the .300 blackout rifle I am building. This isn't a "battle rifle" or training rifle. Do any of you have a suggestion for c was .750 gas block I should use. It going under the rail so it doesn't have to look like the Fortis gas block. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One or two times ago when I was shooting my gas block came completely loose. It blew forward about 3 or 4 inches which that is a huge case for pinning it. I have never pinned mine yet, but I am seriously considering it now.

As a temporary fix I put some loctite on the set screws and so far it's held up through more than 250 rounds so far. Fortunately my barrel came dimpled so (at least to me) that helps a whole lot. If it wasn't dimpled, that to me would cause a problem.

I don't think pinning is mandatory, but I am becoming more and more a believer in it. That said, so far loctite on the set screws has been doing well so far.

Please note though, I am a recreational shooter... many people here get to/need to shoot for work. If I was shooting for work as a LEO or anything... I wouldn't even bat an eye. EVERY gas block would be pinned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A properly dimpled barrel with vibratite or loctite is pretty damn secure, but pinning is IMO the most secure, however some feel that pinning the barrel can create stress on the bore and adversely affect performance.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Mk12 Mod 1 uses an exposed set screw low profile gas block that's not pinned. So I'd say, no it's not necessary. I pin all of mine anyway

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I don't care what my "needs" are. I'm not a professional gun-handler, nor a professional carpenter, but I want to have utterly reliable firearms, and utterly reliable power tools, both for the same reasons. I would rather spend the extra bucks than just accept "probably good enough".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes and No.

In my experience, it really depends on what you're using the gun for. If you're using the rifle as a tool for a living, then yes, I'd pin the gas block. All but 2 of my guns have pinned gas blocks. If this is just a range toy, and you don't want to put up with the expense or time to pin that gas block, you probably won't have any issues.

I've posted this picture before, but here's an example of dimpled barrel with loctite and set screws, shot suppressed:

Downloads
    Uploads
    All of mine are pinned due to a friends gas block coming loose, his still isn't pinned though.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Loctite and similar threadlockers will melt instantly with the high temperatures at the gas block.

A ceramic adhesive such as Rocksett is much better suited for such high temperatures. I've never had one come loose, but I prefer pinned for anything but range toys. It's cheap insurance for something that might save a life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the same topic, about how much does it cost to pin a gas block? My regular guy doesn't do it so I need to find someone else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    On the same topic, about how much does it cost to pin a gas block? My regular guy doesn't do it so I need to find someone else.
    I sent mine to ADCO....I think it was 50$ per.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I sent mine to ADCO....I think it was 50$ per.
    $50 plus shipping each way right? So maybe $75 bucks total?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it necessary to pin the gas block?

Rainier has 3 prices that I could find.

$29.95 for standard block, $44.95 for nitrited gas blocks and $74.95 for syrac Gen 2 gas block pinning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Rainier has 3 prices that I could find.

$29.95 for standard block, $44.95 for nitrited gas blocks and $74.95 for syrac Gen 2 gas block pinning.
    I wonder why the Syrac is more??? Maybe someone with gunsmith expertise can teach me something...

My current block is an SLR adjustable... I will try to find someone local that I can just take the upper to... I am thinking that will be easier than taking my rifle apart.

As for Rainier though, next time I buy a barrel I might get them to pin a block for me from the get go.

I didn't pin this one mainly because being my first rifle I didn't know about the ins and outs of it.

So yeah, when I first started vs right now I know a little more than when I started out...so the more I go the more I am thinking pinning might be a good idea...That said it adds cost and if I ever want to rebarrel my rifle it becomes a little less of an at home job, at least for that part. I also don't think a barrel nut will go over the gas blocks so you have to know what you are going to be using... (I could be wrong on the barrel nut thing so correct me if I am wrong).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder why the Syrac is more??? Maybe someone with gunsmith expertise can teach me something...

My current block is an SLR adjustable... I will try to find someone local that I can just take the upper to... I am thinking that will be easier than taking my rifle apart.

As for Rainier though, next time I buy a barrel I might get them to pin a block for me from the get go.

I didn't pin this one mainly because being my first rifle I didn't know about the ins and outs of it.

So yeah, when I first started vs right now I know a little more than when I started out...so the more I go the more I am thinking pinning might be a good idea...That said it adds cost and if I ever want to rebarrel my rifle it becomes a little less of an at home job, at least for that part. I also don't think a barrel nut will go over the gas blocks so you have to know what you are going to be using... (I could be wrong on the barrel nut thing so correct me if I am wrong).
    I believe because it's melonite coated and requires a more expensive bit to drill.

I always get them pre-pinned from Rainier as well when I buy a new barrel as well as throwing on the barrel nut before the pin (if I know what handguard I'm using before hand) Makes putting everything together later that much easier.

Downloads
    Uploads

The pinning on the gas block is not a pin and weld like on muzzle devices. It can be removed and put back in place fairly easy.