Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    $50 plus shipping each way right? So maybe $75 bucks total?
    It's just 55$ per pin. Material of the GB doesn't affect price, as I've sent in just about every kind that you can think of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK that makes sense. Now I'm curious that if I want to remove the gas block after its pinned, how hard is it to take off? Is about like putting in or removing a gas tube pin or is it more involved than that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You just hammer it out. If they used a taper pin it's directional, hit the small end. Some pins are really tight and by no means easy to remove, but they're still removable

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks I just bite the bullet and buy another 87 industries pin block. They need to go on sale again damn it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had gas block pinned by some well-known gunsmiths. The guy that did the best job for me...pinned the block without outrageously scarfing up the barrel like the other places typically do was Dave Timm at Patrol Tactical. He did an excellent job pinning an 87 Industries block on a Voodoo nitrided barrel for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the last block Rainier did for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the pictures guys. Those pics are extremely helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just buy a noveske barrel with the gas block already drilled...it'll be fun they said...

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW, I recall that Dave told me that the 87 Industries gas block works fine with the same jig that he uses for the BCM gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Just buy a noveske barrel with the gas block already drilled...it'll be fun they said...
    Haha I've played that game before several times ... Their straight dowel pins are pretty dang tight aren't they? I found a little oil goes a long way ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Haha I've played that game before several times ... Their straight dowel pins are pretty dang tight aren't they? I found a little oil goes a long way ...
    You said it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have zero experience with set screw gas blocks, but are people not drilling the dimples deep enough?

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    I have zero experience with set screw gas blocks, but are people not drilling the dimples deep enough?

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy
    The pressure is just too much, especially if you run the rifle hard. Suppressed is another issue.

Most of them hold fine but after a few hundred rounds the screws loosen up... If you loctite the set screw in place it helps to keep it from rattling loose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    The pressure is just too much, especially if you run the rifle hard. Suppressed is another issue.

Most of them hold fine but after a few hundred rounds the screws loosen up... If you loctite the set screw in place it helps to keep it from rattling loose.
    I have not had that experience. I completely get why people want to pin their gas blocks, but if it's a range gun, not pinning the gas block doesn't mean it's going to fall off. I have several rifles with over 2K rounds (many suppressed) and they've been fine. Also, as was mentioned earlier, Loctite is susceptible to heat, so Loctiting a high-heat source doesn't really guarantee anything. That's why Rockset will often be used on muzzle devices.

But again, if I had to rely on my weapon for more than recreational shooting, then I definitely understand the desire to pin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BCM doesn't pin their gas blocks. Never had an issue with any of mine, and I run a suppressor 100% of the time. Dimples, high temp permanent loctite, knurled-tip set screws and you'll be fine.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com