Downloads
    Uploads

Astigmatism, red dots, magnifiers.

So this is a well known and discussed phenomenon that many of you might have had experience with. Essentially astigmatism in your vision can cause the red dot to appear distorted and the distortion increases with magnification. I am sure certain products may have differing levels of distortions but I am pretty sure its going to be there regardless. Some have said the etched reticle of prism optics helps. I have never knew the problem existed previously and never saw a problem with my traditional scopes.

Well I don't have a prism optic but I do have a PA Micro Dot and a PA 6x Magnifier. And the red dot alone is Ok to use and the dot only looks slightly glaring, it covered about 2 inches at 75yds. Looking through the magnifier though, this thing looks like a smiley face. Which for what it is one could get away with using it for what it is. But I sure wonder where my real POA is.

Well I did just now find "a" "solution". Initially when I was educated on this phenomenon after voicing my dissatisfaction with a certain magnifier... :D, I looked into it and made some cool discoveries that I should have known since I worked for 13 years in optics. The main one was that a peep sight increases your depth of focus. It limits the angle of the light that can get into your eye. And so this lead me to these interesting tools called the Eyepal. Just a piece of vinyl with a pinhole you put on your glasses. Getting it lined up is a pain.

Well goofing around I put the Eyepal on the magnifier. Its not ideal, but its marvelous. The dot is pristine to my eye. BUT the problem is it cuts out a lot of light. Some would not consider it acceptable, I like toying around.

What I would like to do is get a vinyl sticker that matches this magnifiers last lens and with a much larger center aperture. Possibly in different steps. I might look into getting an iris to test. If I can find one that will fit. I am certain the light can be increased substantially.

Now how much longer can I avoid this yard work by pondering this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have this issue with 4moa dots and up.

If you can cowitness, throw your rear sight up and youll see a crystal clear dot, or get a small dot.

2moa aimpoint micros are pretty much the best in this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I have messed around with the rear sight, It works great without the magnifier. That's what lead me down looking at the whole thing. With the magnifier and the rear sight cuts out a lot of the view. I am effectively moving the rear sight out of the focal point to get a better view. I guess I just trade brightness for FOV. Ideally I would have a much larger aperture I think and get far more light. Trade maybe 10-20% of the light for better focus?

This mount flips around, so that eyepal aperture is not on the eye side of the magnifier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool and simple mine bothered me so bad I decided to go 1-4 and never look back

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its why I went with the 1-6x also. But you know I got a new pistol build and spare parts. The optics are bigger than it is. I am not a fan of the 6x magnifier with a small red dot. Most of the red dots frame ends up obscuring the magnifier anyways. But they are parts lol.

At least this way I can get a better zero for the red dot and use it for within 100yds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    2moa aimpoint micros are pretty much the best in this.
    1 MOA Eotechs are even better.

Most astigmatism can be corrected by a competent optometrist and lens-grinding lab (the 1-hour lenses-while-you-wait labs you find in the local mall are not the place to go). Alternatively, LASIK or PRK can correct astigmatism.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the EOTech's are horrible when it comes to my astigmatism. Certain Trijicon's are by far the best for my eyes with the 2 MOA Aimpoint's a very close second.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eotechs are good at one thing.

Exploding.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exploding.
    LOL. Right

Downloads
    Uploads

Exploding.
    Hahaha I for one have not had good luck with EOTech.