Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR Engraving

Downloads
    Uploads

SBR Engraving

I keep on being tempted to build an SBR. My first question is kind of basic. Engraving. I know it has to be so big and so deep but where and how do you get it done and does it require you to re-finish your lower?

I am a HUGE fan of CMT Tactical and they will engrave for a small fee, but assume that I wanted to engrave something else, maybe a lower that I already have or something from a different manufacturer...

Generally what's the deal on getting it done?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a plethora of places you can send your lower to have the engraving done. I'd bet to say there are some local places you could probably carry it and have it done while you're there. My class 3 dealer does engraving for $30 on anything you want. Don't over think it just find a reputable place and have it done..

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I decide to just engrave the one I have already I can just build another upper which would save me some money...but I would like to build a dedicated SBR so that I have more than one AR...but I keep on going back and forth about swapping uppers or just building a whole new rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It still leaves the question though, if I engrave an existing lower are they going to have to re anodize it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No need to refinish. Just rub a little oil in it after you get it back.

I have used CADD Graphics in western NC for two lowers. Very pleased. Didn't have to disassemble them, fast turnaround, etc.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lowers are usually cheaper unless you go crazy. No they won't have to reanodize it, They should "colorfill" it and it'll be GTG... I'll post a pic in a min of the one I had done at my dealer that was filled after engraving.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm learning something new every day. Thanks guys!!! That really opens up more possibilities for me.

Yes, I would like to see pics if you have some. That would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the place isn't local though I didn't think they can ship a lower directly (back) to me without going back through my FFL... but maybe I am wrong...

Downloads
    Uploads
    It can go right back to you. Colorfill isn't necessary but I wouldn't complain if they did (as long as it's black).
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    It can go right back to you. Colorfill isn't necessary but I wouldn't complain if they did (as long as it's black).
    I'm a black on black on black kinda guy

That said I have seen some sharp looking ARs that have colors in them. (JerryR just built one that looks really good... that red on black is awesome).

I just have to decide if I want to go with another CMT built (I am leaning this way) or if I want to try out something different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads

SBR Engraving

Cell phone close up of the engraving under the trigger area

Here is a farther away shot. You have to be looking for it to notice it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I do the SBR the same way I did my other AR I will be in it for almost $2000 bucks (all inclusive of the tax stamp) plus an optic. I have to decide if I want to go that route or do something else. If I SBR my current lower I can get what I like (on both levels) and be in it for the cost of a good upper (plus optic) and a tax stamp. I am figuring 7 to 800 bucks for the upper...plus the stamp and optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    It still leaves the question though, if I engrave an existing lower are they going to have to re anodize it?
    Alumna Black works well. A lot of people use Ident Marking, they are in Rockwall, TX. They do very high quality work. Also some trophy shops have laser engravers.

http://identmarking.com
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had CMT engrave my lowers. Excellent work.