Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBR Engraving

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used Ident 2x now and could not be happier.

And, something I learned the HARD way? Get the engraving done BEFORE you submit paperwork for an SBR. Why? If it gets screwed up BEFORE the paperwork is in, you can use another lower and have it done right. AFTER the paperwork is in, you are locked to that lower. Can it get screwed up?

YES. YES YES YES it can. Case in point... me. I talked to our local 'NFA' gunshop, Wild West Guns. Yes, the idiots with the reality show. (I no longer use them for *ANYTHING*, partly due to the following, and more) I asked who they used, they had a local guy do it. ok, I figured since WWG sold stuff, had the NFA Class III (or whatever it's called) and dealt with AAC and Surefire, they must know what needed to be done and had someone do it right. So, I went to the local guy. BIG MISTAKE. They would do firearm stuff while you wait, so I hung out for a bit and the dude comes back and hands it to me. now, I already had the stamp and was good to go for my SBR. And when I looked at it. I think my dog could have done better. Seriously, it looked like a grade school kids project plaque that said 'Wolrds greatest Dadd' (misspellings intended). the font was wrong, it was HUGE, it was not deep enough, it was in the wrong spot, and it was done with a vibrating type etcher, not a laser.

Needless to say, I was PISSED. They guy noticed my mood right off, and was kinda like 'what? what's wrong?' And I pointed out everything, and he claimed that was all they did for everyone. I went round and round with him, and finally just left as there was no way they could fix what he had done. And if I stayed any longer, the cops would probably be called to investigate a murder.

I was able to fill it with JB weld (I researched it online for DAYS), sanded it smooth and did this for many layers. I got it so you could close your eyes and run your hand on it and not feel it. then I got it Cerakoted. Unfortunately, the texture of the JB Weld coverage and the actual forged metal were different enough that even with the Cerakoting you could see the botched job.

I finally got someone to make some permanent stickers that covered everything, and look kinda cool to boot (muted flag with punisher skull). Sorry for the long winded post, but 1) I'm in the rum and cokes and 2) if I can keep someone from having my typical horrible luck, I'll post pages worth.

Go with a recognized, reputable place, and do it before you submit any forms. Hell, I'm sending in 2 more to get engraved with no plans to SBR them... yet.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sent mine to Orion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had mine done at ident at it turned out well

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I have had CMT engrave my lowers. Excellent work.
    I'm thinking about using them also.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orion Arms or Ident Marking do a great job. Turnaround is 2 weeks, but you're waiting for the stamp anyway. I've never worried about engraving before the stamp comes back. They will blacken the engraving after they're done. I wouldn't recommend trying to cut corners on the engraving...send it to someone who does it hundreds of times per day. I've always used Ident Marking even though Orion is only about 2 hours from here...Ident was a little cheaper for the engraving and the shipping. Both are FFL/SOT so you can ship to them and they can ship to you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow. Thanks guys for all the replies. All that really helps. Thanks SwissyJim for sharing. That is definitely something to think about. I am thinking of just buying a CMT lower and having them do it from the get go, then I would be assured that it looks nice. I could do a different lower, but by the time I get it from wherever, send it off, pay shipping, pay the fee and all that jive it would be a PITA and there would be some kind of wait time... whereas I could just have CMT do it for $30 bucks and be done with it and get the lower that I like anyway... it seems like that's the best option for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Cell phone close up of the engraving under the trigger area

Here is a farther away shot. You have to be looking for it to notice it.

Is that the full title of the trust? Mine has "Revocable" and "Living" in the title along with my full name. Is a shortened version permitted?
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lot's of variability as to correct wording of the engraving. Initially, years ago, it was fine to have your first initial and last name, with abbreviated state. Then one of the later "new" directors of either NFA Branch or of BATFE issued an "opinion" that abbreviations aren't permitted. The requirements are spelled out in the NFA, but there's enough vagueness to allow for varying opinions.

From a practical standpoint, the likelihood that an SBR owner would ever be approached by an ATF agent to inspect their rifle is extraordinarily low, and even if they did, the likelihood that they would either know about, or care about such a detail as engraving wording is equally low. That's the only way NFA Branch would ever know whether or not your rifle complies with the engraving requirement, and it's extraordinarily unlikely to ever happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Is that the full title of the trust? Mine has "Revocable" and "Living" in the title along with my full name. Is a shortened version permitted?
    That's the whole thing. And no abbreviated versions are not accepted by ATF standards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your trust is named "Donald Duck Revocable Living Trust" then that's what you have to do for the engraving. However, there's no need to make the trust name that long. The trust document can clarify what type of trust it is, and it doesn't have to be your actual name. Something like "DD Trust" would work, although there's not even a reason to use your initials if you don't want to. Occasionally you see people name their trust "In God We Trust" etc.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Guys - but the trust is done with several items already stamped. I was just considering SBR-ing the new AR Pistol. I make inquire with Ident Marking to see if the trust name fits under the trigger guard in the appropriate font and size.

Edit: New Trust Completed. Thirteen character name --- time to talk with Ident !!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"