Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone have an 11.5" or 12.5" build?

If you have an 11.5" or 12.5" build will you please put up pics? I am thinking through a possible SBR build and if you can put a tape measure up on it. It would help me a bunch. I would like to see exactly how long it is from the face of your upper receiver to the crush washer. (sorry I don't know all the right terminology)

I would also like to know the length of your chosen hand guard.

I'm trying to think through exactly how I will do this thing before I haul off and buy some parts.

It doesn't have to be an SBR, pistols will work too... but those are the two lengths I am interested in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one of each. Found an older pic with both guns. It's a little deceiving as the 11.5" gun (on the right) was running the UCIW stock. I've since pulled it and switched over to an VLTOR A5/B5 Bravo combination. Rail length on the 12.5" gun is 10.75" (URX4 rail) and the 11.5" gun has a 10" KMR (measures a little over 10", though.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an older pic of my 12.5 (sorry, no tape measure in it). It has a URX 3.1 (10.75") rail. The URX 3.1 has some short-comings, but I've appreciated the extra .75" over a 10".

My 11.5" probably isn't much help since it's a piston gun with a monolithic upper receiver, but in case it helps (another old picture).

Downloads
    Uploads
    This isn't my pic but it's Hodge Defense's 12.5" with their 11.5" Wedge Lock. Pic is from www.americas1stfreedom.org.

DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    This isn't my pic but it's Hodge Defense's 12.5" with their 11.5" Wedge Lock. Pic is from www.americas1stfreedom.org.

http://www.americas1stfreedom.org/me...8/img_1204.jpg
    Wow, that looks great. Just needs a real can on the end. :)

This is my 11.5" with 10" KMR. The KMR measures 10.5" from the end of the receiver to the tip of the side rails.

Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Wow, that looks great. Just needs a real can on the end. :)

This is my 11.5" with 10" KMR. The KMR measures 10.5" from the end of the receiver to the tip of the side rails.

I like that

I am trying to locate a good rail (I really like SLR but I am willing to try other stuff)... They put the exact lengths of their rails on their website...

I like SLR because they are awesome, look good, and because their barrel nuts don't require timing or any special tools. Overall just quite simply good stuff. That said I am obviously keeping my options open--so if you have any other possibles I am all ears.

Their 11" rails are 10.93"... and their 12" rails are 12.25"... the suppressor I am getting is the Griffin Armament Recce 5, so if I do this SBR I will definitely want the option to run it suppressed.

I am pretty much leaning towards a 12.5" barrel in 5.56 but I don't really want a huge gap between the rail and the suppressor. I still might go 11.5 though. It just depends what the end package will deliver, but I am leaning 12.5 but I am not sure if 1" down will make a massive difference, especially for what I am thinking of building.

The Griffin Armament suppressors, when they mount they screw onto the taper mount but they do not 'overlap' the barrel, maybe some but it's like a couple of milimeters...basically where the muzzle device ends is where the suppresor also ends when it is mounted.

(I don't know the technical terms for barrel anatomy but feel free to correct me or tell me the answer)

If there is a little gap I guess that's fine, but if I can pick what I want then why the hell not get what I want eh?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also have to add that even though I don't normally run rifles with a lot of crap hanging on the rails that I sort of lean M Lok. It's not a perfect system but at least the stuff I have already (or may get) will be able to be used across different rifles.

My concept is to either have a good 1x red dot or maybe an SRS and possibly run a flashlight. Whether or not I run a VFG or an AFG is still to be determined. I am just fine holding bare rail too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The picture I posted in the NFA thread is my 12.5" SBR. It uses an ARP 12.5" barrel which is made a little longer so you can use a 12" rail. I've posted other pics on here showing just how close it puts my suppresser to the rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    The picture I posted in the NFA thread is my 12.5" SBR. It uses an ARP 12.5" barrel which is made a little longer so you can use a 12" rail. I've posted other pics on here showing just how close it puts my suppresser to the rail.
    You don't say!!! Can you link to the pic here?

Also which barrel is it? Can you show me a link?

That would solve a whole bunch of probs... Can you measure the the actual length of your rail... you definitely have my attention.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the barrel and is actually in stock.. They don't stay in stock long... I figured this our when UW couldn't use his RA 12.5" and 12" rail setup and I could. I called Harrison @ ARP and he confirmed he makes them to the point the shoulder is almost flush with the majority of !2" rails.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/14399

I used a Fortis Rev rail which is 12.429" per website...

Pics:

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the barrel and is actually in stock.. They don't stay in stock long... I figured this our when UW couldn't use his RA 12.5" and 12" rail setup and I could. I called Harrison @ ARP and he confirmed he makes them to the point the shoulder is almost flush with the majority of !2" rails.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/14399

I used a Fortis Rev rail which is 12.429" per website...
    Holy smokes man. That would be perfect. The rail I want to use is listed as 12.25" so that would give me a little wiggle room.

Leave it to WEVO to make me spend all my frickin' money

Seriously though, it's very helpful that other people have figured this stuff out... especially with $$$ on the line.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Next question... when you e-file for an SBR... what format does the tax stamp and all that arrive in? Do they mail it to you? Do they email it to you? How does all that work?

I ask because I might be going out of the country for a while...

I have heard it takes about 6 weeks to efile an SBR...but aside from that I have never e-filed so I am not entirely up to speed on that portion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Holy smokes man. That would be perfect. The rail I want to use is listed as 12.25" so that would give me a little wiggle room.

Leave it to WEVO to make me spend all my frickin' money

Seriously though, it's very helpful that other people have figured this stuff out... especially with $$$ on the line.
    Glad to help...LOL! But seriously if you want that barrel I wouldn't hesitate long. They tend to go almost as fast as a geissele blem rail...Others here that use his barrels can confirm...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Next question... when you e-file for an SBR... what format does the tax stamp and all that arrive in? Do they mail it to you? Do they email it to you? How does all that work?

I ask because I might be going out of the country for a while...

I have heard it takes about 6 weeks to efile an SBR...but aside from that I have never e-filed so I am not entirely up to speed on that portion.
    When you efile you'll get an electronic copy of the form. You may get an email notifying you, you may not. Just check the dates being approved and you'll know when to start checking more frequently.. Last i've seen is around 90-100 days.. YMMV...

It's really easy to efile. I'll be glad to help if needed man..

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you efile you'll get an electronic copy of the form. You may get an email notifying you, you may not. Just check the dates being approved and you'll know when to start checking more frequently.. Last i've seen is around 90-100 days.. YMMV...

It's really easy to efile. I'll be glad to help if needed man..
    The question is, if I go ahead and buy a lower, engrave it, and file... if I am off in some other country for a while is it going to be some big pain in the ass or what?

If I get a couple of key components (at the very least) I could possibly finish out the build later on.