Downloads
    Uploads

Aero Precision Limited Run BCG issues

A good friend of mine gave his rifle a make over. He removed the 18" govt profile dpms barrel and dropped in a 16" faxon firearms lw barrel. Added BAD-ASS selector, CMC trigger, Odin Works XMR, Phase 5 EBRv2 and replaced the BCG with the limited run NiB carriers. At the same time he picked me up the same BCG.

Went out Saturday to test the weapon about the second round the BCG would no longer fully seat into the chamber. Checked head space with a go/no-go gauge. Inspected the gas tube and verified it was no sitting off to one side or the other. Put my Ares Armor NiB BCG in his rifle and it ran fine. Put his old BCG back into his rifle and it runs fine. Put the Aero Precision in my rifle and it ran fine. But the AP back in his rifle and it did the same thing. Tried the second Aero Precision BCG that he got for me and it does the same thing. When riding the BCG forward you could feel the flare of the gas key meet up with the gas tube then stick. He purchased the gas tube from Midway USA. He is going to pick up a new gas tube from either Faxon or RA and try that before contacting Aero Precision about the BCG's. Inspected the inside of the keys and they appear to be free of anything that would be blocking the gas tube, no marks or marring of the finish on the edges of the entrance of the gas key.

Just seems weird. Thought I would share and ask if anyone else picked up the limited run NiB BCGs from Aero Precision and had any issues with them.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would tell him to pick up a cheap set of calipers from harbor freight and measure the gas tubes and ID of the gas key on his old and new carriers. If he kept the gas tube from the 18" barrel he'd have another reference point.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had that issue with multiple coated BCG's. Ares and Rubber City were by far the worst. The Rubber City ones actually got stuck when in battery. The gas key is the issue. The coating builds up and makes the bore for the gas tube undersized. I used a reamer that was slightly oversized to clean out the gas key bore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I would tell him to pick up a cheap set of calipers from harbor freight and measure the gas tubes and ID of the gas key on his old and new carriers. If he kept the gas tube from the 18" barrel he'd have another reference point.
    Oh he has calipers and we can definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I have had that issue with multiple coated BCG's. Ares and Rubber City were by far the worst. The Rubber City ones actually got stuck when in battery. The gas key is the issue. The coating builds up and makes the bore for the gas tube undersized. I used a reamer that was slightly oversized to clean out the gas key bore.
    I have 2 Ares NiB BCGs that have been flawless. And both Aero Precision BCGs ran fine in my rifle. But then again everything else ran fine in his rifle except the Aero BCGs. The Aero BCGs would get stuck on the gas tube for him. I actually had to use the pry end of an armorer's tool to free the BCG from the gas tube. Granted I have well over 5000 rounds on my current gas tube and there is probably just enough wear on it to make it a non-issue with the Aero BCGs
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mic'ed about 15 different gas tubes when I was troubleshooting my issues. I was surprised at how consistent they were and how little loss of material due to wear. Tubes with 10k rounds were right there with brand new tubes. With the Rubber City crap they would never even go into battery and got jammed like you described. The Ares would go into battery if you let it slam home then suffer from FTE's and never cycled. A good friend of mine with the same batch of RCA carriers used a chainsaw blade file in a hand drill to clean his up with good success also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copy he is going to measure the ID of the two Aero gas keys and compare them to his old one.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool aero BCG

replaced the BCG with the limited run NiB carriers. At the same time he picked me up the same BCG.

He purchased the gas tube from Midway USA. He is going to pick up a new gas tube from either Faxon or RA and try that before contacting Aero Precision about the BCG's.

So did you get the entire BCG for Aero Precision??? I was looking at this one, and was about to order it. Its on sale now for $149. If you did not get the gas key from Aero, are we talking a gas key issue, a BC issue or an issue from Aero Precision.

Please let me know, as I really would like to know the quality of the Entire Aero Percision BCG. Is it quality or not? Its supposed to be up there with WMD and FailZero, and other Quality ones as for as Ive heard

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think their quality is comparable with other equally priced ones.

Bur right now I would buy one of these and not think twice.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Fail_Zer...ar15-01-nh.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I had already ordered one of the FailZeros this week, but I wanted to also order the Aeroto compare the two

Downloads
    Uploads
    Entire bcg from aero. Swapped the gas tube gonna take it out today and see how it does.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Swapped the gas tube out the Aero BCG worked flawlessly on the new tube. The older gas tube from midwest had a slightly larger outside diameter than the new tube from faxon.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Swapped the gas tube out the Aero BCG worked flawlessly on the new tube. The older gas tube from midwest had a slightly larger outside diameter than the new tube from faxon.
    Good deal, glad it was such an easy fix