Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

AR15 build newbie

Ok so I'm new to this and also I'm new to building an AR platform or any type of weapon of that matter. I was in the military for 3 years as an infantryman so I'm very familiar with the AR platfprm. . .

My question is though since I have no experience in building an AR does it really matter on what type of lower and upper I choose to get(as in money wise or name brand) as long as the internals are of good quality or higher end? I'm looking to build a weapon sytem that is reliable and accurate but not wanting to spend like $$$$. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgerchy View Post
    Ok so I'm new to this and also I'm new to building an AR platform or any type of weapon of that matter. I was in the military for 3 years as an infantryman so I'm very familiar with the AR platfprm. . .

My question is though since I have no experience in building an AR does it really matter on what type of lower and upper I choose to get(as in money wise or name brand) as long as the internals are of good quality or higher end? I'm looking to build a weapon sytem that is reliable and accurate but not wanting to spend like $$$$. Thanks
    Welcome, and thank you for your service.

Like everything... it depends on your budget. How much are you looking to spend?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, haven't really thought of budget. I mean if need be I'll spend the money I need to. But if I can save money on part like lower and upper receiver then I will. That's why I was wondering if the upper and lower really matter as long as I put great internal in them?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most people say a lower is a lower. Choose a roll mark you like and as long as magazines drop free and the fire control group functions as it should, you should be fine.

Uppers...I tend to shy away from unknowns because I've seen really bad picatinny rails or they mess up the feed ramps. A lot of cheap ones don't have the dry film lube that is part of the .mil specs.

Most people would agree that aero precision makes good quality, well priced uppers and lowers. If you don't mind cosmetic defects their blem units are a great value.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok awesome thanks I'll check them out. And I don't mind blems I'll most likely be painting my weapon anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I was a first time AR owner, but wanted some customization, I'd buy a Colt OEM1 or OEM2. Then drop the handguards and furniture I wanted on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I'll be checking them out to. Thanks for such quick responses everyone. Very much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    People say that "a lower is a lower. Personally, I think that's wrong. The difference between good rollmarks and bad ones is the quality assurance. QA costs money. Better brands will inspect and spec a higher number of units, and will have a higher threshold for spec tolerance before they let the thing go out for sale. Cheaper brands will let a higher number of "marginally spec'd" units go out the door for sale. You do get what you pay for, but you are largely paying for the diligence of the company in applying its QA process. Go ahead a buy a cheap one. You may get lucky and it will be completely in spec with a good finish. Or, maybe not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

AR15 build newbie

Welcome and thank you for your service as well!

I agree with both UW and Slippers. It just depends if you want to build one from ground up then go with Aero Precision for the receivers. The colt option is a great option that gives you a majority of a rifle from the get go and won't leave you with a bunch of parts you'll never use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok awesome and thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If I was a first time AR owner, but wanted some customization, I'd buy a Colt OEM1 or OEM2. Then drop the handguards and furniture I wanted on it.
    This.

People always ask about building their first AR but I believe that buying the first one is the best bet. Change some parts and get a feel for what you like or don't like. One way or another you will end up with parts that always seem to grow into another rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you want to build your own? To save money or to learn the platform? You probably won't save any money by building your own unless you can borrow/use someone's tools. Personally, I got in to building because I wanted to learn how and also not be dependent on someone else to do things like change barrels. I also like that I can select every single component that goes into the build so I don't end up having to replace parts that I don't really want. Now I can't imagine picking up an OEM/factory AR15.

So, assuming you still want to build instead of buy then I second Slipper's comment regarding Aero Precision (they're mostly who I've used for my builds), but there are a lot of quality forged receivers out there at very attractive price points. I'd personally avoid anything from Olympic Arms, the PTAC line from Palmetto State Armory and I'm not a fan of the RF85 finish on Anderson's but those are the only one's I can really think of that I personally don't like (and all based on internet rumor mills, not personal experience with any, so I acknowledge that may be a bit unfair). Mega / Rainier cost a bit more but are generally considered among the best forged receivers available.

I also like to have roll marks from my state, so I am fortunate to have Aero and Mega in WA. I also don't like to mix uppers and lowers but there is no rational basis for that.

On an upper, besides general quality the things that can make a difference are having a "true" receiver face (e.g., surface of the receiver that is perpendicular to the barrel and provides the mating surface to the barrel) and feed ramps and pic rail that are mil-spec. The first two are fairly easy to correct on your own anyway and tolerance stacking means you may to even on quality pieces.

The "buy a Colt" is tried and true advice but not particularly original or fun and personally I'd rather support businesses/manufacturers that have provided better support and innovation to the AR community. You've served, I'm sure that you well understand that "Mil-spec" means a minimum standard, not "state of the art".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks that was very helpful. And my reasoning to build my own is so I can customize it to how I exactly want it and for the same reason as you. I don't want to depend on others to build or repair my rifle. I want to learn how to do with with my own hands.