Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    I'd listen to this guy. They do sell Colts "sans" furniture if you want to pick your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For this one though you have to remove the A2 sight if you want a free float handguard. That does require a sight block to do it right.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    For this one though you have to remove the A2 sight if you want a free float handguard. That does require a sight block to do it right.
    Not true, several drop in FF rails are available without having to remove the FSB, such as the Daniel Defense Omega.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I think these Colt "OEM" series rifles are some of the best values out at the moment... Regardless if you go with OEM1 and the A2 you come out a winner... Either use a guard like UW suggested or cut it down yourself on the cheap similar as the factory would on an OEM2. If these come in under 700$ they'd be tough to beat for the value...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I think these Colt "OEM" series rifles are some of the best values out at the moment... Regardless if you go with OEM1 and the A2 you come out a winner... Either use a guard like UW suggested or cut it down yourself on the cheap similar as the factory would on an OEM2. If these come in under 700$ they'd be tough to beat for the value...
    Exactly.

Plus the Colt will hold its value better than some PSA/Anderson home build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Surely someone at Colt is bright enough to start pushing for versions OEM3 & 4 you'd think? A 6720 stripped down at this price, yes please.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Surely someone at Colt is bright enough to start pushing for versions OEM3 & 4 you'd think? A 6720 stripped down at this price, yes please.
    I've been watching for that as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm disappointed that a 3 year infantry grunt comes to WEVO for build advice and get's told to buy a factory gun, a case of ammo and go practice. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that after 3 years in the Infantry the OP knows how to clear a double feed. I'm also going to assume the OP wants to learn how to put these things together, not buy them off the rack, until he states otherwise.

I hate to invoke Tom Cruise, but this is like "Days of Thunder" which makes the case that driving a car and building car are very different, but understanding how it's built can help make for a better driver. Regardless of Robert Duvall's sage advice in the movie, building an AR is really just a different/separate hobby/skill from shooting ARs; being a decent Armorer and a decent Operator have very little to do with each other. The beauty of the AR is it requires an 6th grade education and a hammer to "build" (and yes, I understand that even with that low threshold some people will still fall short). I mean, hell, ARs are cheaper than AK's these days. You have know how to weld and have a press to put an AK together and those were designed to be built by soviet slaves.

OP, here you go: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...m-upper-71-993

For an even simpler build, check out the Aero Precision M4E1. I just posted a T&E review here on WEVO and here it is for a killer price: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...ized-black-993

So, Cgerchy, go get started, make some mistakes and come back here when you have questions. I'm going to go against the grain here: Forget the Colt because I don't know too many AR "pros" that would ever spend their own money on a carbine gas M4 profile barrel anyway and it's the barrel that defines the gun. Personally, I won't even buy chrome line barrels anymore. For the new OEM series, Colt stripped $10 worth of shitty furniture off their Wal-Mart rifles and suddenly people think it's awesome (OK, the price point is pretty good). If you want an investment, buy gold or shares of Apple. If you want to learn how to build ARs, go buy some parts and have fun like the rest of us. Keep in mind one of the upsides to building is that only ~$80 worth of the rifle (the lower receiver) has to go through an FFL and be subject to local sales tax. You can mail order everything else. It's kind of like lay-away or that Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" song. And save your pennies for Labor Day and Black Friday sales; don't pay MSRP for anything unless you be rolling (or something on the news tomorrow sparks another panic....which is another reason why it's good to have a few stripped lowers in the safe).

But, above all, remember that advice is worth what you paid for it. Especially from people who take pleasure from being contrarian.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Molon pulled 1.69 MOA out of a LW colt barrel after extensive testing. His 14.5 Colt did under an inch. Add your favorite rail and for under 900$ you have an incredible COLT rifle at prices we may never see again..

OP said he didn't have a ton of coin to spend, so that rules out a scratch build unless he found someone local with tools that could be borrowed... And no disrespect but he himself said he wasn't sure which brands to lean towards... However I can almost guarantee he knows and trusts Colt!

I'm an avid builder. I understand where your coming from, but I'm not sure in his case investing in expensive tools for a single build is wise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I'm disappointed that a 3 year infantry grunt comes to WEVO for build advice and get's told to buy a factory gun, a case of ammo and go practice. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that after 3 years in the Infantry the OP knows how to clear a double feed. I'm also going to assume the OP wants to learn how to put these things together, not buy them off the rack, until he states otherwise.

I hate to invoke Tom Cruise, but this is like "Days of Thunder" which makes the case that driving a car and building car are very different, but understanding how it's built can help make for a better driver. Regardless of Robert Duvall's sage advice in the movie, building an AR is really just a different/separate hobby/skill from shooting ARs; being a decent Armorer and a decent Operator have very little to do with each other. The beauty of the AR is it requires an 6th grade education and a hammer to "build" (and yes, I understand that even with that low threshold some people will still fall short). I mean, hell, ARs are cheaper than AK's these days. You have know how to weld and have a press to put an AK together and those were designed to be built by soviet slaves.

OP, here you go: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...m-upper-71-993

For an even simpler build, check out the Aero Precision M4E1. I just posted a T&E review here on WEVO and here it is for a killer price: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...ized-black-993

So, Cgerchy, go get started, make some mistakes and come back here when you have questions. I'm going to go against the grain here: Forget the Colt because I don't know too many AR "pros" that would ever spend their own money on a carbine gas M4 profile barrel anyway and it's the barrel that defines the gun. Personally, I won't even buy chrome line barrels anymore. For the new OEM series, Colt stripped $10 worth of shitty furniture off their Wal-Mart rifles and suddenly people think it's awesome (OK, the price point is pretty good). If you want an investment, buy gold or shares of Apple. If you want to learn how to build ARs, go buy some parts and have fun like the rest of us. Keep in mind one of the upsides to building is that only ~$80 worth of the rifle (the lower receiver) has to go through an FFL and be subject to local sales tax. You can mail order everything else. It's kind of like lay-away or that Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" song. And save your pennies for Labor Day and Black Friday sales; don't pay MSRP for anything unless you be rolling (or something on the news tomorrow sparks another panic....which is another reason why it's good to have a few stripped lowers in the safe).

But, above all, remember that advice is worth what you paid for it. Especially from people who take pleasure from being contrarian.
    I hear what you're saying, but just because he was prior military doesn't mean he was throwing lead down range constantly. Depending on his MOS, maybe he didn't get a lot of time behind a gun, which is why he's asking about what AR he should get/buy.

Honestly, how much do you really learn about your gun after slapping a few parts together? I know I've learned much more about the platform after actually shooting the gun. OP said he was on a budget. To properly put together a gun, he's going to have to invest some money into tools. If he only builds 1 or 2 guns, this may not be cost effective.

There's nothing wrong with a Colt. It's still the standard. You may believe you can build a better one, but for a first time AR owner, I like the warranty aspect.

There's nothing wrong with a carbine gas system. Yeah middies MAY be softer on your gun, but I doubt few of us can quantify this, and demonstrate how much longer your parts will last because it's not as hard on your components. I know plenty of SME's and Industry Professionals would and do recommend Colt's.

I agree, just because you're a trigger puller doesn't mean you know shit about guns and vice versa.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Not true, several drop in FF rails are available without having to remove the FSB, such as the Daniel Defense Omega.
    Midwest Industries also makes FF rails that do not require FSB removal - some are available that extend past the FSB

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but just because he was prior military doesn't mean he was throwing lead down range constantly. Depending on his MOS, maybe he didn't get a lot of time behind a gun, which is why he's asking about what AR he should get/buy.

Honestly, how much do you really learn about your gun after slapping a few parts together? I know I've learned much more about the platform after actually shooting the gun. OP said he was on a budget. To properly put together a gun, he's going to have to invest some money into tools. If he only builds 1 or 2 guns, this may not be cost effective.

There's nothing wrong with a Colt. It's still the standard. You may believe you can build a better one, but for a first time AR owner, I like the warranty aspect.

There's nothing wrong with a carbine gas system. Yeah middies MAY be softer on your gun, but I doubt few of us can quantify this, and demonstrate how much longer your parts will last because it's not as hard on your components. I know plenty of SME's and Industry Professionals would and do recommend Colt's.

I agree, just because you're a trigger puller doesn't mean you know shit about guns and vice versa.
    I couldn't agree more.

Middy's do have some merit which is why they've taken off in popularity but I agree with UW, if you hand a new shooter a 16" carbine and then a 16" middy they wouldn't feel any difference. In fact of all the "fancy" ARs I've built and own, our "goto" rifle is a bone stock 6920.

I truly believe Colt rifles will retain their value long after some new trendy company has come and gone