Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

First build and -what would you do about this?

Hey WeaponEvolution, i'm new here and after dressing up a lot of off the shelf rifles and looking at Stickmans FB page a few months i decided to try and do my first build... every things good so far except i gouged the shit out of the upper when the vice padding failed a little. any advice on cover up? i don't mind dings, my rifles get used just wondered if i should do something to protect for rust- cause this is a crater... thanks

update- heres how it turned out
    Last edited by Farmhouse812; 1 August 2015 at 14:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sharpie or Birchwood Casey super black, a gouge like that though isn't going to just touch up, I would probably just blast/cerakote it. Not really sure why you would chuck that part of the upper in the vice though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First welcome to WEVO! Nice choice of parts in your first build.

As far as the whoops goes as mentioned Cerakote is the only way to properly cover it up but the super black/ sharpie will cover it up to a degree.

I'm not sure what tools you may already have but make sure you have the right tools for the job. Spend a little now and save yourself some headache and money. Vise blocks are pretty cheap if you don't already have one and will save you from ohh $h.. Moments like this. Again welcome and feel to ask if you have any more questions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually just roll with idiot marks. I don't baby virtually any of my guns, so most of them have some scratches, dents, dings, whatever on them. On my last duty gun before we had to go to department guns, there is a huge gouge on a Centurion C4 Rail I got from training, during some barricade drills. I went prone, and the front of my gun slipped and hit the pavement. Oh well, it still shoots.

Sometimes I use the touch up pen:

http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Case...aluminum+black

But like someone already mentioned, looks like it's too big for a touch up. What I would do in your situation if it really bothered me? Cause I know it hurts when you to it to expensive parts like Lantac. I'd just decide what lower and and handguard I'm going to use and cerakote it. Can't go wrong with Titanium or Tungsten IMHO. Or send it off to Blown Deadline Custom for some real cerakote.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have decreed by executive order that aluminum shall not rust.

Now, corrosion on the other hand; do what those guys said. :D
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the advice/ replies...... and vice block is in the mail- lesson learned

Downloads
    Uploads
    This reminds of the other thread recently where someone wanted to build their first new gun. Make sure you have the proper tools. Make sure whomever is providing the instructions, where it be a forum or youtube knows what they're doing and talking about.

Don't feel too bad though. From time to time, everyone, even those of us with experience has a tool slip. Lots of painters tape and proper tools like I said, will minimize these incidents.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ and painters tape just made the shopping list- thanks UWone

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea we've all added "idiot marks" at one point or another.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it isn't real deep, then go ahead and use a black sharpie. Althernately, you could go with some black nail polish or even flat black testors paint. That's a lot cheaper than sending the upper off for a cerakote job. If you want to remove the dust cover assembly, you could get a duracoat spray kit. They cost around $40 and you can spray the upper receiver yourself.

Be advised that if you send it off to Blown Deadline it will be probably 5 weeks before you get it back. He has generally a 4 week lead time. There may be companies near you that can do it faster since you're only doing one color.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How deep is that gouge? Media blasting and Cerakote will hide very little surface imperfections.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ya, its deep..... I'm thinking about pulling it out of this project and sending it for a quality coat job on the next build i try, after considering all the feedback i got from you guys

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it's that deep a good Cerakoter could media blast the receiver then fill the gouged areas with some JB Weld or some other type of filler. Then sand those areas down flush. After that go over those areas with a low pressure media blast to get the same texture of the aluminum before Cerakoting. I've done this before and it turned out well.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmhouse812 View Post
    ya, its deep..... I'm thinking about pulling it out of this project and sending it for a quality coat job on the next build i try, after considering all the feedback i got from you guys
    If you are building something that appearance is a concern I think that's your best bet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd just use the Sharpie and match it up with my first lower with the bolt catch gouge.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode