Downloads
    Uploads

T&E Review: Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver and 12" M-LOK Enhanced Handguard

Products

M4E1 Upper Receiver: MSRP $149 Product Number: APAR600201A

Handguard: MSRP $175 Product Number: APRA100017

Picture 1: Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver and Enhanced 12” M-LOK Handguard

Not reviewed, but note that an additional $20 at time of order from Aero Precision covers the optional BAR barrel nut to use the enhanced handguard with a standard upper receiver (or $40 MSRP if purchased separately) Product Number: APRH100268

Background and Product Overview

Aero Precision released these products in the spring of 2014 so there are already quite a few reviews and write-ups available, especially on the M4E1 receiver. Instead of restating what others (including the manufacturer; see links above) have already covered, I’ll simply list a few good reviews for your reference:

WEVO “How-To” Guide – Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Upper & Handguard Installation by UWone77

WEVO Member Submitted Review by Naytwan

Recoil Web has a few nice videos on the M4E1 here.

Disclaimer: Both the receiver and the handguard (Picture 1) were provided to me free of charge via Weapon Evolution for Testing and Evaluation purposes. All other components / parts used and shown here were purchased by me. This thread will focus on the T&E of the Aero Precision (“Aero” or “AP”, from here on) M4E1 and enhanced handguard. I’ll likely cover the full build in a separate thread here on WEVO.

The Upper Build
    To T&E the Aero M4E1 receiver and enhanced handguard I am using the combo to complete a 16” 6.8 SPC build intended as my whitetail deer hunting rifle. Before the combo became available via the WEVO T&E program I was still debating which handguard to use on a standard Aero Precision upper I had already purchased. I had narrowed my choices down to the ALG Ergonomic Modular Rail v2, the Midwest Industries Lightweight Free Float, or the Aero Precision enhanced handguard. I was focused on 15” M-LOK options and was leaning heavily towards the Aero option when the T&E combo was made available to me, thus clinching the decision. The only compromise was the shorter 12” length versus the 15” I was planning on, but my last build used the Midwest Lightweight FF in 12” on a 16” barrel and I am quite happy with the setup so it wasn’t much of a compromise. Also, one of the advantages of the Aero enhanced handguards is that it is easy to swap one for another, so it will be a simple exercise if I decide to switch to a 15” Aero enhanced handguard at a later date.

To complete my build, I’m using an AR Performance 16” scout profile, mid-length gas barrel chambered in 6.8, a Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) Triad flash suppressor, a Radical Firearms .750 gas block, and a Seekins Precision mid-length gas tube. The barrel, gas block, and gas tube are all melonite treated. The 6.8 bolt pictured is Daniel Defense.

Picture 2: Upper Receiver Build Components

Assembly
    The Aero M4E1 comes as an “assembled” upper, meaning that the forward assist and ejection port door cover assemblies are already installed; that just leaves barrel, gas system, muzzle device and handguard installation to complete the upper. One of the best attributes of the Aero M4E1 is that you don’t have to time (align) the barrel nut to properly fit the gas tube (Picture 3). This makes installing a barrel almost trivial. I say almost because of two minor items: 1) you are unable to visually inspect alignment of index pin on the barrel extension with the cut-out in the receiver, and 2) the fit of the receiver extension into the receiver is very tight. This was my second build with an M4E1 upper and both times I was able to easily solve both of these issues with the use of a heat gun and a liberal application of AeroShell 33MS grease. After pointing my heat gun at the inside of the receiver for about 90-120 seconds, the resulting thermal expansion of the aluminum upper receiver allowed me to easily slide my barrel extension into the receiver with confidence that the locking pin had found its home (visual inspection of alignment of the M4 feedramps confirms alignment). Note that on both occasions I was working in my garage on relatively cold days so the heat-gun trick won’t always be required. Once the barrel had been inserted, I hand tightened the barrel nut and then used a torque wrench with the supplied barrel nut wrench until I got to just around 45 ft-lbs of torque which left the lugs of the barrel nut just short of being flush with the face of the receiver. After installing the gas block, my mid-length gas tube slid easily into the M4E1’s ventilated gas tube channel. That’s it - installation complete, at least as far as the upper receiver is concerned.

Picture 3: Gas Tube Installation

Picture 4: Barrel Nut Installation

Installing the Aero enhanced handguard on the M4E1 upper receiver is another exercise is triviality. It involves sliding the handguard over the barrel onto the receiver and then installing eight T20 Torx screws. Before securing the handguard, make sure the screw that blocks the ejector port rod is flush or slightly sunk as it may otherwise bind on the handguard. That’s it. It’s so easy, my 3 year old did most of the work.

Pic 5: Child’s play

Post Assembly – Changing Port Door Cover
    I did choose to swap out the pre-installed ejection port cover in favor of one marked with “6.8 SPC”. This requires removal of the handguard in order to access the port cover rod retention screw, removal of the retention screw, and then sliding the rod out through the hole towards the front of the receiver. Note that “C-clip” is not used on the M4E1 as the aft end of the rod guide is enclosed. Installation is simply the reverse.

Pic 6: Dust cover replacement and modified vise block

Observations – M4E1
    I really like the Aero Precision M4E1. The M4E1 simplifies barrel installation while providing a solid interface to mount the free float handguard. It’s a great option for first-time builders since you don’t have to time the barrel nut. While I fully recommend using a torque range to ensure you stay within the allowable range, I also wouldn’t lose any sleep over installing a barrel on an M4E1 without the use of a torque wrench. It’s pretty obvious once the barrel nut is secure and there was very little rotation of the barrel nut from about 20 ft-lbs of torque to over 40 ft-lbs. You’ll know when it’s on.

Most people won’t notice it’s an “M4E1” receiver but there are a few giveaways that make them easy to pick out of a crowd. For one, these must be made from unique and proprietary forgings: the forward assist and brass deflector are slightly different and the slick-side has an angular look to it instead of the standard curved surface. Based on those differences alone, an observer unfamiliar with the M4E1 might assume that you have a billet upper.

One potential drawback on the M4E1 receiver for some builders is that you may not be able to lap the receiver face. My PTG lapping tool would not fit inside of the female threads of the extension to reach the receiver face. I suspect you’d hit the same issue with the Wheeler tool. This might be of concern for 6.8 and some wildcat builds where lapping seems to be a bit more common due to concerns regarding uneven stress on the bolt.

This is probably a good time to mention that certain upper receiver vise blocks may not work or require modification to accommodate the Aero M4E1. I use a Delrin block from Squirrel Daddy and had to trim away some material on one of the ends to accommodate the barrel nut forging, as you can see in Picture 6. As you might expect, “clamshell” type upper vise blocks can be problematic with the M4E1 as well. Of course, there is no problem if you use a Geissele Reaction or equivalent.

The only negative comment I can make about my upper build is regarding the M4 style feed ramps. The transition from the receiver feed ramps to the barrel extension feed ramps is not as smooth as it should be. Compared to the feed ramps in the other three upper receivers in my safe, one of which is also an Aero Precision M4E1, this is easily the worst (Picture 7). However, I can’t say if this is the barrel extension’s “fault” or just an unlucky combination of tolerance stacking (it happens). Initially this didn’t seem to be an issue for my build as the 6.8 rounds sit high enough in the magazine that the bullets make first contact with the receiver extension’s feed ramps. They never touch the receiver’s feed ramps and therefor never have to glide over the transition. This was true for S&B 110 gr FMJ, however I learned this was not the case for SSA 100gr Accubonds. The polymer tips are catching on the transition and damaging the polymer tip (the spec of bright white on the feed ramp in Picture 7 is polymer from the accubond round). I’ll likely polish the feed ramps to take care of this issue.

Picture 7: Feed Ramp

Picture 8: Polymer Tip Damage on 100gr SSA Accubond

Observations – Enhanced Handguard
    The wide selection of available handguards is one of the benefits of the AR-15 platform. The myriad choices can also be a bit overwhelming to the consumer when trying to make a selection from the many fine choices available on the market. A buyer/builder has a few key criteria that help narrow the field, particularly length and interface (i.e., Picatinny quad rail, KeyMod, M-LOK or other/none). This won’t narrow the choice for the Aero Enhanced handguards, though, as Aero pretty much covers the spectrum of popular lengths and interfaces. So a buyer will have to consider some more narrow criteria (weight, price, diameter, strength, etc.) to determine if the Enhanced handguard is appropriate.

Besides the easy installation onto an M4E1 upper, the main differentiator from many, not all, competitors of the Aero enhanced handguards is the wide diameter: the internal diameter is 1.8 inches. This is particularly handy if you have a requirement to shroud a suppressor but, in general, I personally really like the feel of the wide handguard. It is easy to grip and provides a stable base when shooting supported (e.g., off of a barricade). The width is similar to a quad rail with panel covers, so if you like that feel then you should be at home with the Aero Enhanced M-Lok or KeyMod handguard.

By way of comparison, below are some pictures of the Aero Precision handguard side-by-side with a Midwest Industries Lightweight Free Float M-LOK handguard. This MI handguard is one of the skinniest and lightest on the market.

Picture 9: Overall comparison

Picture 10: Large Inner Diameter

The large inner diameter also means you won’t run into to any clearance issues for the M-LOK mounting hardware (same for KeyMod). By way of example, I am unable to mount any M-LOK accessories directly under the gas block on my Midwest Industries Lightweight Free Float M-LOK handguard because there is very little clearance. I won’t include a discussion of the M-LOK interface in this review except to say that I think it is illustrative that Magpul provides a 5-page “Installation Tips” document (available here: https://www.magpul.com/mlok ) and that I do feel that the interface can be a bit “finicky” and is easier to work with when you can see the backside of the accessory to confirm the locking pieces are in the correct position. This is easy to do with the Aero Enhanced handguard. I’ve mounted a Magpul bipod adapter and Sling QD mount to the rail with minimal fuss.

Picture 11: Easy mounting of M-LOK accessories

Note that the 12” version of the handguard gives you about 12.5” of top rail, which is consistent with my MI 12” handguard. I have an Aero 9” Enhanced KeyMod which measure exactly 9” across the top rail. Anti-rotation is provided by the aft of the handguard extending about a half inch past the rail on either side of the receiver. This could potentially create a problem if using the BAR barrel nut to mount the handguard to a receiver that is not mil-spec.

Picture 12: Top Rail measures just over 12.5 inches

Picture 13: Anti-rotation tabs

Could the handguard be better? I’m not really sure how it could be; however, I would love to see Aero come out with an ultra-light version of this handguard that drops most or all of the top rail and adds a few built-in QD points for a sling (the Magpul M-LOK QD attachment adds less than an ounce and $19 to the build). For my hunting platform, I just don’t need the rail, even for a front sight.

Observations – Combination of M4E1 Enhanced Receiver and Handguard
    While you could use the Aero Precision M4E1 upper receiver with another BAR style handguard, or use the Enhanced Handguard on a Mil-Spec upper, the combo clearly shines when used together. Aero Precision wasn’t the first to market with this concept, but they’ve brought it to the market at a very compelling price point. While MSRP of the M4E1 is $149 I’ve seen them on sale for as low as $95.

The combination also makes for a pretty light setup. A typical Mil-Spec upper (assembled with FA and port cover) weights about 8.5 ounces without a barrel nut. The M4E1 weighs about 11 ounces with barrel nut, so a 2.5 ounce increase for the extra forging for the barrel nut. The 12” Handguard weighs 8.7 ounces. On a comparable basis, then, that makes the Enhanced Handguard about 11.2 ounces, which is very reasonable. It won’t satisfy someone on a quest for an ultra-light rifle but is lighter than the typical quad rail setup.

Fit and finish is very good and the anodizing on the M4E1 is a near identical match for my LMT Defender. The only negative comment I can come up with, and it is very minor, is that the finish is not a perfect match between the M4E1 receiver and Enhanced handguard. Given that both boast the same anodizing I suspect the difference is a result of different underlying types of aluminum (7075-T6 for the receiver and 6061-T6 for the handguard). Take a look at Picture 14 and see if you can even tell where the rail on the receiver ends and the handguard begins.

Picture 14: Subtle difference in finish

Conclusion

I’m thrilled with the results of my build and look forward to taking this out to the field come deer season. I’m getting very good accuracy and didn’t have to apply a lot of correction to get my scope zeroed, so I’m not concerned about not being able to lap the receiver face. I do need to polish the feed ramps and I may pull the barrel to install in another upper to see if I can isolate the problem to the barrel extension, but probably won’t as it has not created any malfunctions. I mentioned earlier that I have another M4E1 build in my collection, a .300 BLK pistol build using a 9” Enhanced KeyMod handguard (Picture 16). Part of the reason I selected the Aero Enhanced handguard for my .300 pistol is that I intent to take advantage of the wide internal diameter to (eventually) partially shroud a suppressor. I’ve put several hundred rounds through them and find myself growing increasingly fond of the wide grip. Now, I’m a big guy with large hands, so that could be expected, but it also has the added benefit of putting some distance between your hands and a hot barrel.

Picture 15: My “M6E1” Hunting Rifle

Picture 16: Two M4E1 Builds, a 12” M-LOK 6.8SPC and 9” KeyMod .300 BLK

I think Aero Precision knocked it out of the park with their Enhanced series and have no problem recommending them. In fact, my brother just built his first AR using an Aero M4E1 and 15” M-LOK Enhanced handguard with an 18” barrel after I pointed him to Aero Precision. I don’t know what more of a complement I could pay to a product than to recommend it to my brother.

About the Author: I’m a recreational shooter with just a few AR builds under my belt. While I spent 4 years in the Army and was honorably discharged as a Captain, I was a “loggie” and never had to kick in a door or fire a shot in anger. Being a small-town Midwest boy, I have been shooting since I was single digits in age and owned my first AR when I was 15. However, after having lived in some pretty gun unfriendly locations (Chicago and New York among them) I have shot more since I moved to Washington State about 4 years ago than I have the prior 15 years. I’m still learning and making mistakes but really enjoy and appreciate the flexibility and accessibility of the AR platform.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 30 July 2015 at 06:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow....Good job..

That is quite a review..I kinda just scrolled thru, but will read up in more detail when i get some time..Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great looking build and I would say great wright up.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome write up
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesom review and build

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's probably one of the best write ups yet.

Awesome job.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good, IMO Aero hit a home run with these uppers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very well written. Enjoyed the entire review!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the kind words, everyone. Let me know if there are questions about the products.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great review. I agree with you that these uppers a a true bargain for what you get. Love all of mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And as the final test, I used the rifle to harvest a white tail deer. I found the width and shape of the handguard to be very functional in the field, to include seating very firmly in the shooting rest of my BOG-POD monopod.

The shot was at about 70 yards using Federal XM68GD (6.8mm 90 gr Gold Dot). Clean lung shot through-and-through. And I love the Swaro Z3. I should do a write up on it sometime.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent review. Great info in the details. Nicely done.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"