Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The ideal scope would be the Swarovski 1x6 with a better reticle and/or better turrets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Here's what I think we need...

under 1lb with mount
    1 OR 4
    under 12" long
    Daylight-visible illuminated with at least a 500 hour battery life (or fiber optic/tritium)
    Eotech-style reticule with crosshairs added (or a Circle dot BDC)
    Large FOV
    under $1K
    100% agreed with the minor (personal) additions above
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    My issue with the FO/tritium is that it's never delivered on it's promises. I've owned and shot with several trijicon optics and the reticule turns to a black when in subdued light. It *may* be visible in total blackness, but what good does that do me?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed. They do wash out, but I still like to "no battery" idea. Maybe a fiber optic primary/battery backup or vise versa. Even a tri-power type setup would be nice. I'm sure there are engineering hurtles when putting something like that in a 1-4x, but I'm trying to think outside the box a little. We put a man on the moon, I'm sure it can be done. Regardless, I think we can agree that any route taken must have a reliable and long duration illuminated reticle. I like where you're headed Rob
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Leupold CQT isn't too far off the mark of what Rob listed:

1-3X
    Illuminated (although not sure if daylight visible in bright sun, but definitely in subdued lighting/shade)
    17oz
    Circle /Dot, but no cross hairs
    Several hundred hours battery life

Downloads
    Uploads
    That 500 hours is super-anemic, FWIW. I was just trying to be realistic. :D

What it really needs is 10,000 hours so that you can turn it on and leave it on all year long, and change the batteries on your birthday.

The CQT illumination also has daylight issues.

NO battery would be ideal, but companies like Aimpoint are making so much headway in terms of battery life that it's almost like having no battery at all.

FWIW, I think Aimpoint will be the one to make the breakthrough for us here. Add the Aimpoint micro to the Aimpoint 3x magnifier and you're getting damn close.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do ya'll think about bdc when it comes to 1-4x optics?
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That 500 hours is super-anemic, FWIW. I was just trying to be realistic. :D

What it really needs is 10,000 hours so that you can turn it on and leave it on all year long, and change the batteries on your birthday.

The CQT illumination also has daylight issues.

NO battery would be ideal, but companies like Aimpoint are making so much headway in terms of battery life that it's almost like having no battery at all.

FWIW, I think Aimpoint will be the one to make the breakthrough for us here. Add the Aimpoint micro to the Aimpoint 3x magnifier and you're getting damn close.
    I know it's just a 1X scope, but do you like the Leupold prismatic's reticle? It has the circle/dot/cross hair combo that you mentioned earlier......

Links courtesy of CSGunworks.....

Here it is illuminated against a wall
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/CSGUNWORKS308/S...JPG?imgmax=512

Non-illuminated against wall
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/CSGUNWORKS308/S...JPG?imgmax=512

Illuminated inside
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/CSGUNWORKS308/S...JPG?imgmax=512

Downloads
    Uploads
    That reticule is interesting. I'd have to see it at magnification over a a target at distance, say 200+ yards, to get an idea if it was workable or not. I think I'd still rather not have the crosshairs illuminated, but without trying it I couldn't say for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcoastie View Post
    What do ya'll think about bdc when it comes to 1-4x optics?

It is very nice to have, especially when shooting out to 400-500 yards man-sized targets. If you are shooting under 300 yards, it is not necessary to have. Either way, caliber specific BDC Reticles suck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of reticles.............I know it's the least expensive of most all scopes mentioned here, but I really like the reticle on the DMR-1. It is like the German three post with the circle dot. The dot is also only 1 MOA so it really doesn't clutter any target. I just wish they had better glass......and of course weighed less. 18oz is heavy in my book. I would love to see them bring out a 2-7 that would weigh around 14oz or less!!! That would be perfect in my book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Review of the IOR Pitbull

Tactical Gun Fan
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads

IOR Pitbull Reticle Photos

Last edited by Uglyduck; 7 August 2009 at 23:26.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good, expensive, but what good glass isn't? I had hoped to see a price under 1K with that optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The price certainly doesn't make it available to the masses, but it is still a cheaper alternative to the Elcan. I hope to get some better reticle shots from the owner soon.
    -Mitch-