The Griffin XM Linear comp was a neat project. It really was a hobby project for me. I was going to make 2 NFA moderators and then decided to make a small run of these so other people could obtain one.

One of the first customers to buy one was unhappy with his product. He didn't understand why his std wrench was too wide to fit. These are exact dimensional replicas externally - they require a thin wrench or the M16A1 armorers wrench to be installed. MACVSOG Operators stuck their SOG knives into the cuts in the flash suppressor and used that as a means of torquing them on and off. That does leave a mark.

These are also assembled, welded, OD turned, and melonite QPQ'd. This leaves them a little better looking than the original units which were welded by hand using tig with filler rod (no two were exactly alike). The QPQ looks pretty similar to the oxide or phosphate finish of the originals, but those originals would turn brown when fired and heated as some rust would occur- I kind of see QPQ as a major improvement myself - I didn't want a rust/patina brown colored muzzle device, but one of the nuances of the device with QPQ is it gets hot incredibly fast, burns off any protective oil, and then looks slightly irregular in finish until re-oiled. If a person is really a finish quality nut, they should probably look somewhere else, or realize that the XM moderators were low volume, wartime production muzzle devices.