Thread: slide fire

Downloads
    Uploads

slide fire

I have a slide fire buffer assembly the castel nut has no staking slots on it but it does have a hole drilled in the top thats not quite throu . Would that be the staking point? Thanks Ken

Downloads
    Uploads
    The online instructions that I find http://www.slidefire.com/install-ssar15 show the stock sliding over an existing buffer tube with a regular castle nut. I also checked their web site and it looks like the castle nut in their "conversion kit" has staking slots (hard to see in their image though). Their conversion kit is used to replace an A2 fixed stock with a Mil-Spec adjustable carbine buffer tube assembly - including a normal castle nut.

I would be VERY reluctant to stake through a hole in the castle nut. You will be staking into the buffer tube threads - not a good idea IMHO. Normal staking is the end plate into the castle nut slots.

Just a suggestion, but if you purchased a conversion kit, I would send them a question via the "contact us" button or give them a call. You may have gotten a bum part, and they can send you a new one. Barring that, I would purchase a "normal" castle nut and not use the one you have. $5 from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod59706.aspx Be careful though, when I searched Brownell's site it looks like the DPMS castle nut does not have staking slots. Apparently there are some with and some without.

If you don't want to go through all that, clean the buffer tube threads (degreaser) and use a drop or two of BLUE lock-tite on the outer threads for the castle nut.

Hope this helped.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Jerry, if the holes are like the ones in KAC's castle nut they're for a wrench and not for staking.

DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa