Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure are a lot of nice rifles here.

I don't have much special to share... YHM 8810. Tossed on an Aimpoint Micro, Wilson Combat TTU 4lb trigger, Lantac brake and a Syrac adj block.

For practice I shoot offhand mostly at steel out to 200yds. Rifle works well. With the brake and adj block it's very soft shooting and remains on target for follow up shots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Sure are a lot of nice rifles here.

I don't have much special to share... YHM 8810. Tossed on an Aimpoint Micro, Wilson Combat TTU 4lb trigger, Lantac brake and a Syrac adj block.

For practice I shoot offhand mostly at steel out to 200yds. Rifle works well. With the brake and adj block it's very soft shooting and remains on target for follow up shots.

Wicked nice stick.
    Sic Semper Evello Mortem Tyrannis

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Send bacon!

I wish we could use shouldered cartridges here, but the deer are so thick here, I can take them with a pocket knife. Not really sporting, using an MSR, but something's gotta happen. At least in the country we can get land owner/ population thinning permits. We pile 'em high the years those are offered!
    Look into 450 Bushmaster, it'd be the ticket for those regulations! Sometimes I regret trading my 20" upper when the rumor mill was ammo was going to be produced less back in 2013-2014.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Welcome to WEVO. Nice first post, and very nice build !
    Thank you Sir!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome aboard, nice rifles!
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Look into 450 Bushmaster, it'd be the ticket for those regulations! Sometimes I regret trading my 20" upper when the rumor mill was ammo was going to be produced less back in 2013-2014.
    If I remember right, deer are pistol and shotgun only, in addition to bow and black powder. Makes no sense! The only place rifles are not restricted is hog and coyotes, along with no time and always open season, except for deer seasons.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    If I remember right, deer are pistol and shotgun only, in addition to bow and black powder. Makes no sense! The only place rifles are not restricted is hog and coyotes, along with no time and always open season, except for deer seasons.
    That is some pretty screwy regs! Lol 450 Bushy AR pistol!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anatomy of a rifle for the wife.
    Low volume recreational plinking steel out to 100yds.

Main criteria
    Light weight
    Soft shooting
    Simple to operate
    Not too hard on the wallet

Palmetto had an upper I thought well fit the project. Pencil barrel mid-length gas system with 13in light weight handguard. $219 delivered. They also had a blem lower for $129 delivered. Already had a BCG so I'm only into this thing for $350. So far so good.

To soften recoil and keep the muzzle down I went with a Lantac brake only because I already had one and am satisfied with it-- Joe Bob Oufitters $105 delivered.

Sending quarters down range with a GI trigger? Nah.... but the wife doesn't need a Wilson TTU either. Settled on a Timney 668-S 4lb single stage from Primary Arms-- $180 (price matched with an obscure Net dealer). I like doing business with Primary Arms.

The good folks at Weapon Evolution offered a heads up that Cabela's was selling a Trjicon RMR 3.25moa for $261 delivered. Always on and auto adjust, that well fit the criteria for simplicity. And at 2.8oz with included AR riser mount that well fit the criteria for light weight. Thank you Weapon Evolution.

Ammo... I had some PMC Bronze .223 that I've found exceptionally soft shooting. The velocity tests I've seen from a 16in barrel show it to have a muzzle velocity of 2700-2800fps... so that explains that. In this rifle it reliably operates with an ejection pattern at 3:30. All good.

The wife's rifle... Light weight, simple and soft shooting. At under $1k it wasn't too hard on the wallet. Mission accomplished.

ps. The wife thinks the 'shiny barrel is pretty'. Perfect.

Took a while to get that RMR shadow... haha
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 9 September 2017 at 16:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Anatomy of a rifle for the wife.
    Low volume recreational plinking steel out to 100yds.
    <snip>
    Sounds like you did well.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Zeroed to 55 grain Speer Gold Dot .223 using the 50/200 yard zero.

-LMT SOPMOD, gives me the best balance, best cheek weld, and even when collapsed it's still in a pinch ready to go LOP for close quarter emergencies.
    -V7 castle nut, to shed some weight as every little bit matters.
    -Radian endplate, for weight reduction.
    -Magpul buffer tube, it's as if the SOPMOD and that tube were made for each other. Super smooth but not noisy at all.
    -Magpul K2, it allows me to get closer to the gun with a shorter LOP than the traditional A1 and A2 grips, and allows for a more comfortable and less fatiguing thumb over bore grip.
    -FCD trigger guard, not a sharp as milspec OEM.
    -FCD ASF-90 short and long offset levers. As a southpaw it's so much more efficient to thumb to fire and trigger finger flick back to safe on and off. This becomes apparent after even just one whole day on the line at a course. The levers are kept in place by roll pins, not screws or spring loaded detents.
    -Odinworks extended mag button, much more efficient to thumb it with the non firing support hand leading to faster more positive magazine changes.
    -CMMG pivot and takedown pins, easier to use a punch should an out of TDP spec upper be placed on top.
    -FCD ABC rear biased and serrated as it should be, I have tried a lot of bolt releases and again saying this as a southopaw, is one super rugged yet super fast to either rest the bolt or to put back into action with.
    -Geisselle SSA, one of the best IMO 2 stage triggers and definitely good for duty use. Not too light, 1st stage allows for self correction if a bad pull is to be initiated or not before that stiffer wall on the 2nd starts.
    -JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring, smooths the cycling for an improved shot recovery.
    -FCD 9 pound mag release spring, I've had mags drop unintentionally while slung, that stopped after the heavier weight spring was introduced.
    -Colt mag release, TDP spec snag and problem free.
    -V7 lightweight FA, dropping weight wherever it can be done.
    -Radian Raptor-SL, I love the Raptor but the SL is less pronounced and less prone to snagging if there was such a thing with ambidextrous CH's. And Ambidextrous because I'm a southpaw and it's faster, YMMV.
    -Microbest phosphate BCG, TDP spec.
    -V7 ejection port door, because weight savings where I can without impacting critical areas.
    -DSA Dogbone M4 upper, TDP spec that many SOPMOD M4's were rebuilt with.
    -Magpul MBUS Pro and MBUS Pro LR, durable, holds zero even when banged or dropped.
    -SOLGW M76 Wedgelock, super strong anti torque mounting system and a perfectly shaped circumference to thumb over bore with even with heat shield panels.
    -Ballistic Advantage Hanson 13.9, wanted a lightweight barrel that was both durable and in a length that I could P&W to a legal 16 to get as short as possible without doing another Form 1.
    -Reptilia QD sling swivel, durable yet doesn't use up more than one Mlok slot. Brings the sling a tiny bit further out so there's less of a chance of brass bouncing back in the port causing a malfunction.
    -Magpul MVG, this is used as a hand stop when thumb over bore and is the perfect stabling solution for barricades, stumps, boulders, trees, structure sides, etc. Hand stop that I can have my thumb rested on and pull against while or rest against the support hand wrist.
    -Magpul Type 2 heat shield panels, a very grippy texture that I have never lost gripping with or have been burned.
    -Railscales heat shield, I had a fitment issue underneath because of the proximity to the gas block with the M76 FF with the Type 2's and the Railscale shield solved that and without being a fatty.
    -Cloud Defensive Rein 2.0 short tube, I've owned Rein 1.0, seen the Owl in use, have Surefire 300's and a 600, and Modlite OKW & PLHv2. The 2.0 is a cooler light, has a pressure pad that I am a fan of, and has a thumb activate pressure pad. And it's very durable that gives great throw and lots of spill.
    -Magpul offset mount, strong, lightweight, and durable mount for scout lights. I prefer offset mounted lights because I want a reduced area as much as possible to reduce it's silhouette.
    -FCD 6315 KM-L, I wanted a great MD in the correct length to P&W and be awesome at flash suppression with a Keymo mount to mount a Dead Air Sandman to at some point.
    -Scalarworks LEAP/01 1.57 that I may or maybe not change to a 1.93, durable yet lightweight micro mount.
    -Aimpoint M5, both the T-2 and H-2 that I own have very stiff brightness knobs that I have to use a zen or look at to make sure it's where I want it to be. With the M5, I can visually see it and know instantly where to place it with it's white dot on the knob, and without being distracted like I would with the 2's.

This is my lessons learned from a 40 hour Carbine 223 course at Gunsite, rifle. Lightweight within reason, a simple dot with a BUIS set to back it up in case of force on force washout or a dead sight. I like my SBR a lot and it's what I ran at Gunsite that I know it works and works all the dang time. The 11.5 while a great short barrel length, I wanted to get as much velocity as I could with the shortest yet non NFA equipped rifle that I could bring across most state lines without doing asking for permission to take my SBR with me. In fact if I ever do another SBR it's going to be in 12.5 because my mind was blown at just how close in velocity a 12.5 is next to a 14.5.

Last edited by TheRifleman; 8 April 2023 at 18:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great post TR. Your choices are all well thought out and defensible regardless of what another might prefer. Druthers doesn’t necessarily mean better.

Love the classic “restricted” LMT lower. I have one on my first “build.” Quotes because I bought a complete LMT upper from Grant of G&R Tactical for it when I was just still mostly ignorant and had few tools. Totally agree on the 12.5” the perfect if-only-one length bug-out carbine.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks!

I got the LMT along with a KAC non ambidextrous lower back when Tombstone Tactical was blowing them both out at a great price. I showed up for the LMT, saw the KAC that was a tiny bit more and said let's do a twofer on the 4473.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    Zeroed to 55 grain Speer Gold Dot .223 using the 50/200 yard zero.

Nice build and my preferences are similar. I've been resisting spending that kind of money of the FCD safety, but I've got a mushy selector on a build and am eying the FCD offset short throw. I'm afraid I'll like it too much and feel compelled to upgrade all my rifles.

One thing I do find a little odd about your choices is the combination of lightweight components with a handguard that is a bit heavier than other options on the market. For slim line builds, my favorite handguards are BCM, so you might consider checking out an MCMR if you want to take a few more ounces off and, IMO, not loose out any strength or functionality. I do have an old school Mega receiver set that I've been wanting to put a Wedgelok on just for brand consistency and to try one out, but it currently sports a KMR-A that I'm very happy with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    snip

Ballistic Advantage Hanson 13.9, wanted a lightweight barrel that was both durable and in a length that I could P&W to a legal 16 to get as short as possible without doing another Form 1.
    Edit haha left the wrong quote in.

Pretty much my rationale for the 13.9” also.

That and the velocity is substantial enough for decent distance shooting, probably 4-500yds and in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Nice build and my preferences are similar. I've been resisting spending that kind of money of the FCD safety, but I've got a mushy selector on a build and am eying the FCD offset short throw. I'm afraid I'll like it too much and feel compelled to upgrade all my rifles.

One thing I do find a little odd about your choices is the combination of lightweight components with a handguard that is a bit heavier than other options on the market. For slim line builds, my favorite handguards are BCM, so you might consider checking out an MCMR if you want to take a few more ounces off and, IMO, not loose out any strength or functionality. I do have an old school Mega receiver set that I've been wanting to put a Wedgelok on just for brand consistency and to try one out, but it currently sports a KMR-A that I'm very happy with.
    I've got an MCMR actually but it's on another upper, heh. I wanted something that was strong also, that would be resistant to bumps for zero loss with the front sight.

That's the long and short FCD ASF-90 and for a lefthanded shooter like me, it makes going from safe to semi with my left thumb and then back again to safe with my trigger finger, and then back to indexing the trigger finger in it's position and out of the trigger area to maintain safety until another threat has been properly ID'ed very fast, safe, and easy to do than other safeties. Repeat as necessary. Super fast and super positive clicks, no mush whatsoever, and is held in place with a roll pin on each side's lever, no indents or screws, simply bomb proof IMO.

And you're right, you'll be ending up putting them on all of your rifles because that is exactly what I had done too after getting my first one.

That rifle has seen a few changes since that picture was last taken. The LMT carbine extension has been replaced by an A5 FCD RE5F using the Vltor A5H1 and Sprinco green rifle spring, that LMT stock has been replaced with a BCM SOPMOD, The Odinworks XMR exchenged for the RailScales CSMR, and that Magpul MVG was swapped out for the Daniel Defense VFG.
    Last edited by TheRifleman; 17 June 2023 at 18:49.