Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Explain your AR15 layout...

What are the parts on your AR15, what options did you consider, and why did you go with your decision? This should become a good resource for people who are interested in building a weapon, and might be facing similar decisions.

Army Chief started a question in another thread asking why I went with certain specific components on a weapon. Taking the Chiefs idea, I figured why not take it a step farther, and explain the layout of your weapon, or weapons.

The below carbine is a recent configuration. I wanted something suppressed that was somewhat short, and usable as a jack of all trades.

I'll start from front to back, and top to bottom.

The first thing on the front is obviously the suppressor. I kicked around a few different ideas for this project. I am an AAC fan, so I didn't look any farther than the AAC SPR/M4, Ranger II, and M4-1000/ SCAR Light can. AAC cans have fully welded cores and since a can means ATF paperwork and a taxstamp, I don't plan on buying anything that isn't going to yield max durability. I think that at this time, AAC is the only one fully welding cans, the rest are spot welded. That doesn't make them bad, but I'm a fan of good welds.

Each can offers different pros and cons. The SPR/M4 installs over the barrel, and decreases blowback. The Ranger II screws onto a threaded barrel, and is the most affordable. The AAC SCAR Light is a can which I've obviously used and abused. Its similar to the M4-1000, which is a rapid attach can, and middle of the road in cost, but high on the quality scale.

The can I choose was the AAC SPR/M4. One reason for this was that it is a top of the line can, and doesn't extend out super far. The lack of blowback means that I don't need to run a gasbuster charging handle. For people who haven't run a can on FA, or done rapid fire, the heavy ammonia smell is enough to make your eyes close involuntarily and water heavily if you have the right wind or are creating a heavy volume of fire.

Last edited by Stickman; 28 January 2009 at 17:44.