Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Explain your AR15 layout...

What are the parts on your AR15, what options did you consider, and why did you go with your decision? This should become a good resource for people who are interested in building a weapon, and might be facing similar decisions.

Army Chief started a question in another thread asking why I went with certain specific components on a weapon. Taking the Chiefs idea, I figured why not take it a step farther, and explain the layout of your weapon, or weapons.

The below carbine is a recent configuration. I wanted something suppressed that was somewhat short, and usable as a jack of all trades.

I'll start from front to back, and top to bottom.

The first thing on the front is obviously the suppressor. I kicked around a few different ideas for this project. I am an AAC fan, so I didn't look any farther than the AAC SPR/M4, Ranger II, and M4-1000/ SCAR Light can. AAC cans have fully welded cores and since a can means ATF paperwork and a taxstamp, I don't plan on buying anything that isn't going to yield max durability. I think that at this time, AAC is the only one fully welding cans, the rest are spot welded. That doesn't make them bad, but I'm a fan of good welds.

Each can offers different pros and cons. The SPR/M4 installs over the barrel, and decreases blowback. The Ranger II screws onto a threaded barrel, and is the most affordable. The AAC SCAR Light is a can which I've obviously used and abused. Its similar to the M4-1000, which is a rapid attach can, and middle of the road in cost, but high on the quality scale.

The can I choose was the AAC SPR/M4. One reason for this was that it is a top of the line can, and doesn't extend out super far. The lack of blowback means that I don't need to run a gasbuster charging handle. For people who haven't run a can on FA, or done rapid fire, the heavy ammonia smell is enough to make your eyes close involuntarily and water heavily if you have the right wind or are creating a heavy volume of fire.

Last edited by Stickman; 28 January 2009 at 17:44.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Moving up the weapon we run into the flash suppressor, and since that is part of the rapid attach for the can, there isn't much else to say about it. Its worth noting that the AAC open end FS reduces flash at least as well as anything else I've ever used when evaluated during night fire drills.

The next thing is the barrel. For this, I went with the Noveske 12.5" SS barrel. The SS barrel profile is a little heavier than its 4150 counterpart, but it wasn't a concern for this project. The Noveske barrels aren't the run of the mill SS blanks, and tend to last much longer than many of their SS competition. Noveske also hits the chamber to create a sweet spot that allows for solid accuracy, while maintaining reliability. Its an issue that I'll never need to worry about because this isn't going to be fired with hand rolled ammo, or given the tend love and care that a marksman/ sniper imparts on their steel child.

After the barrel, we hit the gasblock. For this, we are looking at the exposed block of the Noveske Rifleworks adjustable gasblock. I'm usually not a fan of exposed gasblocks, and in general feel that they are best left covered by a rail for protection. In this case, the Noveske is a pinned unit, as well as setscrewed and there is no concern about it coming loose or getting knocked out of alignment. The adjustable feature is still a pretty new creation, and its designed for compatibility with cans. Since this carbine is going to wear a can much of the time, the adjustable gas block seems like a good way to do things.

Last edited by Stickman; 29 January 2009 at 17:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Next we hit the rail and front sight. The rail is a choice that is governed by several things, and in this case I went with overall durability over cost considerations. Thats a theme that continues pretty much throughout this carbine. The Vltor VIS is a continuous rail that extends from its heavily reinforced upper. This upper is a complete Noveske build, and is one of the few uppers I have which I didn't build myself. While I'm a fan of other rail systems which tend to be a little lighter, the VIS is a highly durable piece that has little flex in just about any condition I can imagine.

The front sight is going to be a little disappointing. The front and rear sights are on there simply because that is what came with the upper from the factory. The Noveske BUIS are Troy Battlesight variants. I like the Troy well enough, but I've broken mine twice, so I'm not as in love with them as some people on the internet. Good sights none the less, but my personal experiences tend to form my opinions more than the comments of others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Next we reach the optic. Selection for the optic came down to the proverbial handful (shown below). I decided on the Aimpoint T-1 in the ADM mount. The reason for the T-1 is that I like its low print on the weapon. The optic is highly durable (I've killed Eotechs), and battery life is high. The small size reduces weight, though lets not kid anyone, this isn't a light weight carbine.

The American Defense Mfg mount was choosen for a few reasons. I like the ability to adjust a mount without needing tools. I tend to swap optics back and forth quite a bit, and will often pull optics off my weapon to let students use them in classes. The lack of tools means it can adjust in the middle of the range in seconds. Did you know that the US Military requires a tool free adjustment in their current solicitations for mounts? The next reason is that ADM uses a mount that increases surface area and tension without camming directly against the rail surface. This prevents rail damage. Discoloration and scuffs aren't an issue in my book, but anything more serious is. The military considers the rail and surfaces to be expendable, I don't. Most people will probably never even take their QD mounts on and off, and with that in mind, there are loads of good options for you to choose from with your mount search.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the back end we obviously have the stock. There are a LOT of great stocks to choose from, and if people can't find a stock to make themselves happy, they need to get off the internet and go shooting more. Shown below are a few of the options that I had for this project. I choose the new Magpul ACS stock. The stock is new, has loads of battery storage that I'll never completely fill, a QD socket, a locking cam that prevents wobble on the receiver extension (buffer tube), is light weight, and most importantly, a fantastic cheek weld.

If those reasons aren't enough, its brand new, its Magpul, and everyone wants one. I'm honest, any of these stocks would work well, but the ACS has really grown on me over the past few months of playing around with the prototype.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Working to the underside of the carbine we see a few things. First, most people will probably notice that the A2 pistol grip is removed, and a Magpul MIAD grip is used. I have no qualms about saying that I should have used the Magpul trigger guard as well on this lower. In the future, I'll be fixing that as my finger will thank me in the long run.

The next thing that may be of interest is that little extra pin. The lower used is a Noveske Full Auto (FA) lower, commonly referred to as a M16 lower. Why did I go with this lower for this build? I would be lying if I said it was for any noble purpose, its here because you don't see many Noveske M16 lowers. I think that will change as SRT/ SWAT and other agency teams start understanding the overall quality level that comes with the Noveske weapon systems.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    On the back end we obviously have the stock. There are a LOT of great stocks to choose from, and if people can't find a stock to make themselves happy, they need to get off the internet and go shooting more. Shown below are a few of the options that I had for this project. I choose the new Magpul ACS stock. The stock is new, has loads of battery storage that I'll never completely fill, a QD socket, a locking cam that prevents wobble on the receiver extension (buffer tube), is light weight, and most importantly, a fantastic cheek weld.

If those reasons aren't enough, its brand new, its Magpul, and everyone wants one. I'm honest, any of these stocks would work well, but the ACS has really grown on me over the past few months of playing around with the prototype.

Uhhmmmmm....oh really? And all those off-line inquiries, they just, just.......

In all seriousness, do you have an all-up weight on the final config?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was beautifully done... now I want your rifle. Too bad I can't get your lower since it's a contraband item for me.

Man.. I'm drooling..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quite simply, that is the best, most engaging, and most informative such post that I have ever seen anywhere, at any time, by anyone. Had it been in a hardcopy magazine format (i.e. Stick's Guide to Fighting AR Configurations), I would have bought a half-dozen copies on the spot.

Will surely have more to say about this later in the day, but for now, thanks very much, Stick -- beautiful work and exceptional reasoning, as always!

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay I'm out of drool.. now I'm just jealous.. Especially for the the one 2nd from the left. What a beauty!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick I love it! awesome set up.
    This is my AR. The only thing I still want to get for it is the MBUS in FDE and the Magpul sling in FDE.
    It is a Vltor MUR upper, Spikes 416 style lower, 10'' Troy rail, Sabre Defense barrel, ARMS 40L BUIS, Troy front BUIS, Pmags, UBR stock, AAC flash hider & can, T-1 micro/LaRue mount, Tango Down grip, MIAD & Xiphos NT light.

Last edited by OUTLAW-ONE; 29 January 2009 at 10:55. Reason: add pics

Downloads
    Uploads
    My "go-to" rifle:
    Spikes upper and lower receiver: I try to branch out and get a variety of receivers, especially from those who go above and beyond on customer support, so when I saw Spikes was planning on a brown anodized receiver set I grabbed my phone and got on the list. While the fit and finish is not as nice as Mega (a little play and some minor machining marks), everything is in spec and I love it. It looked like the upper had a little dry moly in it, but I went ahead and gave it a good coat anyways since I start my builds now with some in the upper and on the charging handle.
    DD Mk18 RIS II rail: not going to lie, I got this because I wanted a 10" rail and something to match up with the receivers, the fact I found it new for the same price as a Lite made it easier. I have Lite rails on 3 of my other builds and love them, I do plan on getting an Omega X for my next because I hate that the Lite has no QD sockets. I went with 10" because I discovered how cramped a carbine length gets on my last build.
    Noveske CQB Barrel: I originally was going to go with a 11.5" in either the Sabre or BCM flavor, but I found this on the EE new with a pinned GB for cheap, so I jumped on it. It had some issues and ended up getting sent back for an out-of-spec gas port, but with awesome customer service and a fast return it hasn't skipped a beat since.
    A2 Flash Hider: I think I have every fancy FH around and have gotten to the point that the A2 does everything I need and like without the extra cash. If I wanted a brake that would be different.
    Troy Sights: I have always liked Troy BUIS, this was my first front sight from them, I wish they took AR sight posts since the AK post is so fat in mine, but for a CQB setup it cant go wrong.
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group: not much to say about this, good for the money and I know I have their support should an issue ever arise.
    Bravo Mod3 Charging Handle: Love this thing, I have always put larger CHs on my SHTF guns, but the gunfighter knocks the socks off any Badger.
    Aimpoint T-1 w/ Larue mount: I like simple and reliable things, the T-1 is everything. I would put them on all my rifles if they had a 2MOA version, but for this use I can't complain. I also prefer lower 1/3 for CQB.
    Magpul BAD lever: I got this for the same reason it was made, makes reloads a snap and combined with GunFighter it makes clearing a double feed stupidly easy.
    Magpul ASAP mount and MS2 Sling: I normally have been a 2 point sling, but I wanted a decent 1 pointer for this rifle, glad I went with the Magpul. I still have a Gear sector QD for when I use my padded VTAC or Gear Sector GS-2P, but I am pretty much 1-pointer now for this rifle. I can say that in a t-shirt and a long day, the magpul will ride up my shoulder to my neck and rub, which makes me hope for a wider or padded version.
    SureFire Scout w/ SR07 switch: I got this new ridiculously cheap, but soon found that I could not have it at the 9'Oclock with my AFG where I want/need it, and couldn't operate it at 3'Oclock. So I got the SR07 switch which allows me to maintain my grip and use it, and the light is in a location where I can still shoot non-dominant and have a place for my hand. Ultimately I would like a offset mount on the left.
    Magpul AFG: I have always used shorty foregrips with just my pinky and ring finger, so the AFG seemed right up my alley. First impressions were low until I stippled it and gave it some texture. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but after a class this weekend I couldn't be happier.
    Magpul XTM panels: I wanted to mess around with dye and always liked the camo look.
    Magpul MIAD: simply the best fitting grip I have tried. This was dyed along with the stock and some XTM panels.
    Magpul CTR: My favorite carbine stock, easy and rugged.
    Armalite Lower Parts Kit: decided to try a "higher end" lower parts kit, everything is tops, trigger has 0 creep which takes some getting used to. Still waiting on a Troy ambi selector.

think that covers it all. The gun has a Spikes ST-T2 buffer and runs like a champ, lubed with Spectro Platinum 10w-50 simply because I always have extra after changing the oil on my bike.

Last edited by eternal24k; 26 April 2010 at 09:43. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    My "go-to" rifle:
    Nice! Love it. Really dig the Spikes Brown, wish it was still available.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    My "go-to" rifle:
    Spikes upper and lower receiver: I try to branch out and get a variety of receivers, especially from those who go above and beyond on customer support, so when I saw Spikes was planning on a brown anodized receiver set I grabbed my phone and got on the list. While the fit and finish is not as nice as Mega (a little play and some minor machining marks), everything is in spec and I love it. It looked like the upper had a little dry moly in it, but I went ahead and gave it a good coat anyways since I start my builds now with some in the upper and on the charging handle.
    DD Mk18 RIS II rail: not going to lie, I got this because I wanted a 10" rail and something to match up with the receivers, the fact I found it new for the same price as a Lite made it easier. I have Lite rails on 3 of my other builds and love them, I do plan on getting an Omega X for my next because I hate that the Lite has no QD sockets. I went with 10" because I discovered how cramped a carbine length gets on my last build.
    Noveske CQB Barrel: I originally was going to go with a 11.5" in either the Sabre or BCM flavor, but I found this on the EE new with a pinned GB for cheap, so I jumped on it. It had some issues and ended up getting sent back for an out-of-spec gas port, but with awesome customer service and a fast return it hasn't skipped a beat since.
    A2 Flash Hider: I think I have every fancy FH around and have gotten to the point that the A2 does everything I need and like without the extra cash. If I wanted a brake that would be different.
    Troy Sights: I have always liked Troy BUIS, this was my first front sight from them, I wish they took AR sight posts since the AK post is so fat in mine, but for a CQB setup it cant go wrong.
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group: not much to say about this, good for the money and I know I have their support should an issue ever arise.
    Bravo Mod3 Charging Handle: Love this thing, I have always put larger CHs on my SHTF guns, but the gunfighter knocks the socks off any Badger.
    Aimpoint T-1 w/ Larue mount: I like simple and reliable things, the T-1 is everything. I would put them on all my rifles if they had a 2MOA version, but for this use I can't complain. I also prefer lower 1/3 for CQB.
    Magpul BAD lever: I got this for the same reason it was made, makes reloads a snap and combined with GunFighter it makes clearing a double feed stupidly easy.
    Magpul ASAP mount and MS2 Sling: I normally have been a 2 point sling, but I wanted a decent 1 pointer for this rifle, glad I went with the Magpul. I still have a Gear sector QD for when I use my padded VTAC or Gear Sector GS-2P, but I am pretty much 1-pointer now for this rifle. I can say that in a t-shirt and a long day, the magpul will ride up my shoulder to my neck and rub, which makes me hope for a wider or padded version.
    SureFire Scout w/ SR07 switch: I got this new ridiculously cheap, but soon found that I could not have it at the 9'Oclock with my AFG where I want/need it, and couldn't operate it at 3'Oclock. So I got the SR07 switch which allows me to maintain my grip and use it, and the light is in a location where I can still shoot non-dominant and have a place for my hand. Ultimately I would like a offset mount on the left.
    Magpul AFG: I have always used shorty foregrips with just my pinky and ring finger, so the AFG seemed right up my alley. First impressions were low until I stippled it and gave it some texture. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but after a class this weekend I couldn't be happier.
    Magpul XTM panels: I wanted to mess around with dye and always liked the camo look.
    Magpul MIAD: simply the best fitting grip I have tried. This was dyed along with the stock and some XTM panels.
    Magpul CTR: My favorite carbine stock, easy and rugged.
    Armalite Lower Parts Kit: decided to try a "higher end" lower parts kit, everything is tops, trigger has 0 creep which takes some getting used to. Still waiting on a Troy ambi selector.

think that covers it all. The gun has a Spikes ST-T2 buffer and runs like a champ, lubed with Spectro Platinum 10w-50 simply because I always have extra after changing the oil on my bike.

That is super nice!
    By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy otherwise known as "THE BEAST."

Downloads
    Uploads
    LWRC M6A2 12.7" Carbine Length 5.56 - Good length compromise for size / velocity

Aimpoint T-1 in Larue Tall Mount - High Quality no paralax optic with long battery life and little weight
    Insight PEQ-15 ATPIAL - IR laser and illuminator for Active night shooting
    Surefire M620V - White and IR light - Active night shooting, better than PEQ-15 Illuminator
    TNVC PVS-14 Quick Mount - For Passive Night Shooting, Best QD Mounting Solution around
    TROY BUIS - Excellent quality Backup irons
    Magpul CTR - Light and Small
    Magpul MOE - Good geometry for me
    Ambi Safety - For Support Side Safety manipulation
    Magpul BAD - Malfunction Clearance and Quicker Mag changes
    VLTOR / BCM Gunfighter - Ultra Strong charging Handle with large latch for easier manipulation
    Surefire Dual Pressure Switch - Easy Manipulation of Light and PEQ-15
    Magpul AFG - Works well for the over the top Hold and very comfortable
    Magpul ASAP - For use with MS2 (Will probably change this)
    CQD Forward Mount - FOr use with MS2 (Will probably change this too)
    Spikes T-2 Buffer - Smoother recoil impulse and perfect for use with Suppressor
    AAC SPR/M4 Suppressor - Reflex design, great sound suppression, minimal added length
    Custom SPR/M4 Brake - Integrated BattleComp and SPR/M4 Mount - Best of both worlds, recoil mitigation when not using the suppressor, and can mount the can.
    Aimpoint 3x Mag in Larue Mount - When Needed
    Magpul XTM Panels - For color coordination
    Geisselle SSA Trigger - I prefer two stage, and this is the best game in town.

And now to the good stuff, sorry for the poor quality.