Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    I think the AR platform should get a redesign if they are trying to fix the shortcomings... oh wait.. they are.
    Which, I suppose, leads us right back to the ever-elusive Masada/ACR -- or the SCAR, if you're so inclined. Here's hoping that we actually get a chance to see them (in quantity) in civil trim.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you both. Thats why im in the process of building 2 more AR's. One for me as a back up and one for my father. Any machine made by men that explodes and has moving parts will NEVER be flawless. Heres hoping the Masada/ACR makes it before the commies...oops I mean Democrats try to take our 2nd Amend. rights away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt,

Not a bad idea by any means; especially where long-term parts availability is likely to be concerned for the piston gun -- though I think you did quite well on the LWRC, too.

All-too-often we build guns according to some obscure TEOTWAWKI standard that we know (or at least, pray) that the gun will never see, and I see no reason to criticize a piston selection, given the kinds of applications you're likely to need it for. I'm happy with DI guns, but if money and availability were no object, I would probably be out there experimenting with the concept myself. OK well, maybe that's untrue: I would probably be reclaiming some lost ground in the Class III world, first ... but you get the idea. LOL

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chief,
    I hear you on the Class III thing. I wish I had some funds to throw that direction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wish I had laws that would let me throw funds in that direction. Well guess the laws are saving me money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great thread guys, it is an insight to see how people thought through their AR layouts.

I wanted three carbines for my last builds that would handle and feel similar but be used for different roles. Effectively my interpretation of a Recon Rifle, a Close Quarters Battle Carbine and a high volume General Purpose Carbine that can do both, and survive high volume use as a trainer.

DANIEL DEFENSE RECON RIFLE

For the Recon Rifle I wanted a 16" mid-length that I could use as a 3 gun carbine, and as a precision rifle. For this I decided to go with a Daniel Defense SPR Complete Upper that has a 16" tapered 1in7 twist LW50 Lothar Walther stainless barrel with a Wylde chamber, with the excellent Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite rail that would not only free float the barrel but would give a generous sight radius for the BUIS and allow for attaching a QD bipod farther out as I prefer. The DD SPR upper comes with a hand matched Bolt Carrier Group from DD. I preferred the DD upper to the LaRue equivalent simply because I prefer the DD Lite rail and the reduced weight of the tapered LW50 barrel, which in my hands makes the carbine move and balance better. A Leupold MK4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm illuminated SPR reticle scope I love the optics clarity but really like the SPR reticle and the M2 Bullet Drop Compensating turret, I ordered two extra turrets from Leupold so I have data and zeros for 5.56 55gr, 62gr and 77gr loads. I mounted this in the LaRue SPR QD mount simply because has a rep for being the best, less to worry about. For a lower receiver I picked a LMT Defender 2000 with the 2 stage match trigger which allows me to make the most out of the Lothar Walther barrel. I covered the exposed rail with Magpul XTM panels. Troy BUIS simply because they are of excellent quality and once loctited in place I can forget about them.

Lastly I added a Magpul UBR stock,
    Magpul MIAD grip and the Vicker's Padded Combat Applications sling. I am glad I removed the LMT SOPMOD and went for the UBR it is the best collapsing stock I have tried and it really balances the rifle out.

I am really happy with the way it turned out and the way it performs, it balances well offhand, even with the bipod, and is amazingly accurate, producing sub 0.5 MOA all day with quality ammo.

LMT CLOSE QUARTERS BATTLE CARBINE

The second AR is intended to be my take on a MK18 CQBR, so I purchased the LMT CQBR 10.5" 1in7 twist 5.56NATO upper, departing from the actual MK18 design I immediately had the front sight post milled off and installed the Daniel Defense 10.0 Lite rail, I used an LMT Bolt Carrier Group and an H2 buffer to slow the bolt down in this beast, and a Noveske KX3. A single stage mil spec trigger is in this SBR registered LMT Defender 2000 lower receiver, I added the Magpul Battery Assist Device. Since this is for close range carbine I find the EOTech to be my fastest CQB optic and went with the EOTech XPS mounted on the LaRue QD EOTech riser with the Troy front and rear BUIS for a lower 1/3 co-witness. Magpul UBR feels great on this shortie, I thought it might not balance a really short barrel like this but is lively and feels great, especially with the Magpul MIAD and Magpul Angled Fore Grip and a Surefire X300 make this SBR a great home defense carbine!

COLT GENERAL PURPOSE CARBINE
    The third carbine was to be a "beater" high round count, general purpose rifle that I wouldn't mind using for "hard use" shooting with a more flexible twist rate to take advantage of the cheapest ammo that may be available, so I went with a complete upper from a Colt AR6721 with the chrome lined HBAR 16" 1in9 twist 5.56NATO chambered barrel and again used the excellent Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite rail, I added an Bravo Company Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group for reliability with a carbine buffer. Lower receiver is an LMT Defender 2000 with a 2 stage match trigger and Magpul UBR stock, with the welcome addition of the Magpul Battery Assist Device. With the optic I can mount an EOTech 552 in the LaRue QD riser as it is so damn fast for close range shooting, the Troy BUIS gives me a lower 1/3 co-witness. I am also able to switch out to the Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 if necessary, and with the trigger and stock it feels just like the DD Recce above. Magpul MOE Grip and Magpul Angled Fore Grip out front to get a good handle on the 16" HBAR and long rail.

Even with the HBAR this carbine balances much like the DD upper above... the funny thing is this Colt barrel has been very accurate, and may give the LW50 a run for it's money...

This layout feels great and moves and points very naturally for me.

The end result is three carbines that have a common look and feel, but more importantly perform really well for their niche. My wife used to like the DD Recce, because she could shoot sub MOA groups all day at the 100yard line, until she tried the CQBR....

Now I am on the hunt for a Class III full auto lower that will work with these 3

Cameron

Last edited by Cameron; 6 May 2010 at 22:05. Reason: Updating picture links

Downloads
    Uploads
    Outstanding post, and lots of good info. I like those setups!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my latest AR build that is still in progress

I will admit, i am not a true ar nut. For the past few years i have and still love bolt rifles, particlarly precision long range rifles.

the build above started over a year ago, i wisely bought a lower, lpk and started ordering mags. it sat in the safe until i went to shot show this year and got the ar bug.

I have kept things pretty simple. I went with the moe stock, it is solid, and didnt see a need for the ctr lock up, i do wish it had the flush cups though.
    for the grip i bought the miad kit and tried them all, i found out that i prefer no front finger groove, so i then ordered a enhanched trigger guard.

i bought the upper from bravocompany usa, and its a rock river bcg, i did swap out the bolt for a jp bolt.

i wanted a solid rail that did not weigh a ton so i went with the daniel defense 10in lite rail, my paperwork has been submitted and i will be ordering a white oak 11in ss lightweight barrel for it, i will top it off with kx3.

opitcs: i plan on getting the mbus once i can find a set, i am also currently looking at red dot sights. currently favoring the aimpoint micro t-1.

overall when this is done i will have a soild ar, i will keep this under the back seat of my truck and also carry it around in the woods to shoot a few hogs.

i wanted a handy rifle

my second ar

nothing fancy just a bushy varminter with a nikon 6.5-20 scope. i bought this for and use it for prarie dog hunting. i recently had the fore end dura coated as i banged it up pretty good when it rode in the roof racks of my polaris ranger.
    i plan on adding a fde prs stock in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started here

and then the brown gun became this

Then I spent an entire year shooting this

I am finally learning that for my purposes I have no need for rails, vertical foregrips, SBRs, silencers, magnified optics, expensive stocks, gas pistons, etc., etc. Taking that year off from all the gadgets and gizmos, and shooting a more "back to basics" setup in the AK, I got a much better feel for what I need and what I don't.

I still enjoy "playing" with all those other things, but after literally $10k+ sunk in doing so, the below carbine is the essence of the elusive "general purpose" rifle that I see discussed so much on various forums. "Form follows function", "everything you need and nothing you don't", "keep it simple, stupid", all apply.

complete list of specs & rationale
    Last edited by rob_s; 14 March 2009 at 03:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I started here

and then the brown gun became this

Then I spent an entire year shooting this

I am finally learning that for my purposes I have no need for rails, vertical foregrips, SBRs, silencers, magnified optics, expensive stocks, gas pistons, etc., etc. Taking that year off from all the gadgets and gizmos, and shooting a more "back to basics" setup in the AK, I got a much better feel for what I need and what I don't.

I still enjoy "playing" with all those other things, but after literally $10k+ sunk in doing so, the below carbine is the essence of the elusive "general purpose" rifle that I see discussed so much on various forums. "Form follows function", "everything you need and nothing you don't", "keep it simple, stupid", all apply.

Keep it simple? What? Is this the same Rob_s from M4Carbine? Just kidding bro. I can't tell you how much money I spent on stupid crap, just to come back to the basic things. Nice to see you post here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're entirely on-the-mark, Rob. One of the more interesting ironies I've noticed in my career is that some of the most competent operators I've encountered (think LAV's buddies) run some of the simplest M4 configurations I've seen.

Optimization for the mission is still the operative principle here, but many of us -- particularly in civil applications -- really tend to over-estimate our needs. Often, a simple carbine with a basic light is the best possible tool for the job. By the way, it's nice to have the TYV in the house. :)

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in the process of building out a new patrol rifle. Sadly my camera is down so I can't join in.

Right now I'm running a BCM midlength upper. Plain handguards. Fixed rear sight, (LaRue for now - its what I had.) Older Aimpoint CompM in a straight up LaRue mount. I am very interested in either the DD or the Troy fixed rear but haven't tried one yet.

I am relegated to the plain handguards and straight up mount due to restrictions in how the gun mounts in the car. Our cars are small, and our antique electric gun locks - in the trunk - do not afford us the space needed for rails. I have to use the straight up mount to keep the optic aft of the leading edge of the upper receiver. Its a clearance thing. A T1 would solve my problems but money and wanting to keep my marriage intact prohibt that add on.

If Magpul ever made the MOE handguards in midlength it would solve some of my issues.

For now I'm running my souped up Surefire G2 in a one inch scope ring. Its hanging off a MI FSB rail mount. That gets it forward off the handguards and out of the way.

My sling is mounted at the muzzle end in a Colt M4 style side sling swivel. Yes the MI mount and light clear the swivel. Its a two point. At the aft end the sling is in a QD swivel. The stock is a MagPul CTR, the grip is a MIAD and the trigger guard is a Magpul.

Its very plain, but ver functional. I'm an old guy. My eyes suck. On another board there was a thread about being able to hit a grapefruit offhand at 50 yards. I can do that consistently with the irons, and with my glasses off, so it will probably do what I need it to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie Here

Hi everyone! I am new to AR's and shooting in general. Just been reading lots of the threads here that have been very helpful! Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this site.

I do not yet have a completed AR. Still in the process of building it. My goal with this first AR is to have a simple dependable rifle to take to 1-2 training classes a year. I eventually would like to be able to learn to be a long range precision shooter.

So far I have put together a CMMG lower with CMMG lpk. Last week I was very lucky my gf notified me that the BCM mid length I wanted was in stock. I was able to purchase one which I will be receiving next Wednesday!!! Also, just picked up a LMT standard m14 bcg. I have the main important parts now just need a few more items. Trying to decide still either to get the CTR Mil Spec stock or ACE Skelton stock. After that the only other thing I will need for the rifle is hand guard, charging handle, BUIS, a few mags, and lots of ammo.

I am still learning so if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations please feel free to let me know. Again, my goal is to keep this really simple as possible. Thanks everyone and I will post a pic once I have it completed!

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Managed to dig a picture out of my camera.

Last edited by Lancelot; 14 March 2009 at 20:11.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trunk Gun Build

I built this rifle for home defense and as a "trunk gun" to carry broken down in a Cavalry Arms Discreet Rifle Bag, along with a Mini-Sneaky rifle bag for spare mags.

A Territorial Gunsmiths SLR15 Lower provides the foundation. I added KNS Anti-Rotational FCG Pins to keep everything secure. A Norgon Ambi-Catch allows for weak-handed mag changes (I'm a lefty but shoot righty and am ambidextrous). I had Mike LaRocca tune the trigger to crisp glass rod breaking goodness at 4.5 pounds. I prefer the feel of the Ergo Grip along with a Sully Trigger Guard to make extra room for a gloved trigger finger. The Ace ARFX-E Entry Stock keeps it MA AWB compliant and I like the short length. YHM EZ-Pull Take-down Pins are used for quick assembly/disassembly in and out of the CavArms bag.

For the upper, I wanted it to be relatively light weight to give the rifle a neutral balance. I used an A3 upper from a previous build, which works perfectly with the Sabre Defense 16" CVM 1/7 Midlength gas barrel. Mike LaRocca dimpled the barrel under the MI Low Profile gas block. The light weight of the PRI Rifle Length Forearm makes it a perfect candidate. It has enough rail for a MI Front Folding Sight and a Streamlight TLR-1 C4 on top in front (not shown), and I wanted a round forearm profile for this build. The rifle length also covers and protects the low profile gas block.

The pinned and welded PWS DNTC Aggressive Compensator keeps it MA AWB compliant while offering excellent compensation, with an added bonus of looking bad ass. Moving back, inside there's a G&R Tactical Bolt Carrier Group which is HPT/MP tested, extractor with black insert, Crane O-Ring, properly staked chrome lined and heat treated gas key, chrome line bolt carrier, and fully shrouded firing pin.

For optics, I went with an Aimpoint C3 2MOA with See-through covers and Tenebraex Kill Flash mounted in an ADM AD-68H Mount. The C3 is perhaps the best value of the Aimpoint line. A MI SPLP Folding Rear Sight provides back-up. 50,000 hour battery life allows me to leave it on all of the time, and the see-though covers provide instant deployment.

I went with a single-point bungee sling due to the rifle being assembled from inside the CavArms Bag. Anything more than one mounting point would create a tangled mess and slow down assembly and deployment.

The thermal properties of the foam cheekpiece on the ACE stock and the carbon fiber PRI forearm will be appreciated on hot and cold days.

Unloaded weight (without TLR-1) is 7lbs 10oz, OAL 34 1/8".
    Last edited by ballistic; 24 March 2009 at 19:49.