Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cross Machine & Tool - HDM-A2 ARCA RAIL

I totally missed that CMT came out with an ARCA rail last year that's about half the price of the G Mk18 and actually available.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMT is sending me a couple, I didn't know I needed them, but since we can't get them in a week, why not LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    CMT is sending me a couple, I didn't know I needed them, but since we can't get them in a week, why not LOL.
    I'm not trying to highjack the thread - those are super-nice handguards - So you won't even be able to buy parts? It's not just receivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any assault weapon, except as authorized in this section.
    And the law includes the following as one of the definitions of an assault weapon:

A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled or from which a firearm can be converted into an assault weapon if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;
    One of the defining features of an AW is a "shroud", so a common interpretation of this includes a restriction on buying handguards.

Knowing the above in advance, I bought the CMT 15" ARCA rail as one of my pre-ban panic buys and have it mounted up on my 20" RA Ultra Match so I'll post up some photos / thoughts in a few weeks after i get some time behind it. Initial impressions are very positive. Machining is great, anodizing is very dark black. The mounting system is fantastic - it's similar to BCM or SLR where two cross bolts capture the barrel nut with no need to time the barrel nut and nothing is threaded into the barrel nut. This is what I expect from handguard design these days and just won't buy anything that requires timing or threaded screws in the barrel nut. The ARCA feels a bit odd in the hand (e.g., unsupported), but obviously it's for a rifle that is primarily shot supported and off a bipod or tripod. The only minor complaint so far is the dog ears that wrap around the upper receiver to prevent rotation are a little too tight and I should have file one down a tiny bit to ensure the top rail is in perfect alignment. I didn't so I have a tiny ridge on the rail that might prevent a railed accessory from sliding over the transition without binding. I couldn't think of a time where that would actually be a problem so I left it as is. It's very tiny so you don't see it unless you are really looking for it. I have a Harris bipod on an ARCA adapter for my precision bolt gun I'll use on this. More to come.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by apmcdaniel View Post
    I'm not trying to highjack the thread - those are super-nice handguards - So you won't even be able to buy parts? It's not just receivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are a whole lot of uninformed people in the state who don't even realize that this is a thing. Retailers stopped all parts sales for the most part. Going to be a bad wakeup call when they think all they needed to do is stuff some lowers in the safe.

Hopefully this ridiculous law gets struck down soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a whole lot of uninformed people in the state who don't even realize that this is a thing. Retailers stopped all parts sales for the most part. Going to be a bad wakeup call when they think all they needed to do is stuff some lowers in the safe.

Hopefully this ridiculous law gets struck down soon.
    What about private sales from out of state?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a whole lot of uninformed people in the state who don't even realize that this is a thing.
    This reminds me of when I went out to do some contracting work in CA a couple of years ago now. I knew ammo was a pain in the ass out there, and I didn't know how long I was going to work out there, so I loaded up 6K of various flavors of ammo. When I quit and was looking to drive back, I was thinking about selling some 7n6 I still had and researched the actual law to see how much I could legally sell (to save space). That's when I discovered that you aren't even supposed to drive ammo into the state.

Oops.

At that point, I just drove it all back home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    What about private sales from out of state?
    Banned.

What most people don't seem to realize here is that this isn't some law LE is going to address at all. The dems got smart about this. As soon as they catch or find people violating the sales portion, the Attorney General will go after them civilly and sue the piss out of them. Since the law is so vaguely written, it'll be up the retailer to defend themselves in court, which will cost prohibitive and they know this... resulting in a settlement and a promise never do this again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How are places like Rainier staying in business, other than having a base in KS? It has to be hurting business. I looked for a minute before ordering from a place in a state that doesn't have an evil dictatorship in power.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back on topic, the CMT ARCA rail is serving my purposes well. Works on both tripod and with my RRS ARCA QD adapter for the Harris.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it me or do the newer CMT rails look lighter and less pronounced? How's the weight? I have an FCD RHF 13.5 made for FCD by CMT and she's definitely a fatty. Bomb proof though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    How are places like Rainier staying in business, other than having a base in KS? It has to be hurting business. I looked for a minute before ordering from a place in a state that doesn't have an evil dictatorship in power.
    I think the ultimate plan to put out of business all FFL's or most of the FFL's in the state so it's harder to buy a gun. Rainier has moved most of their online fulfillment operations out of Auburn to Wichita. They're also opening a new location in OKC next year.... maybe sooner depending on how fast they can build it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    Is it me or do the newer CMT rails look lighter and less pronounced? How's the weight? I have an FCD RHF 13.5 made for FCD by CMT and she's definitely a fatty. Bomb proof though.
    I wish I had numbers in front of me, but I feel like the first gen CMT rails were lighter, the extrusion was thinner. They got beefier with the release of the HDX line, and then they discontinued the Gen 1, and based their extrusions on the HDX line. I should ask Jeff for confirmation. I do know why I handle any of the old CMT rails I have, they're definitely thinner

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMT's website says the 15" is 17.7 oz with the mounting hardware. It replaced a 15" KMR-A which only weighs 11 oz total, so it's heavier than that, but a touch lighter than a Geissele. So, not lightweight but not terribly bulky either so I think it's a good middle ground. Note that's a 20" Rainier Ultra-Match barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Back on topic, the CMT ARCA rail is serving my purposes well. Works on both tripod and with my RRS ARCA QD adapter for the Harris.

How do you like that vortex tripod

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    How do you like that vortex tripod
    Honestly I haven't used it enough to have an opinion that should really influence anyway. I primarily use it for my "spotters station" where I mount my 15x binos, LRF, and Kestrel when shooting long range. Works fine for that but that doesn't mean much. I've done a little bit of shooting using to brace my shooting position and even less shooting directly from the tripod. It seems the guys that use them a lot, like for PRS, are pretty quick to spend more for nicer tripods (e.g., RRS), but for my fairly light and amateur requirements I have no complaints so far. CF legs seem to dampen vibration faster that aluminum. Twist lock legs are pretty fast but a matter of personal preference. Same for ball vs pan head.