Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I could not leave well enough alone. I posted my carbine earlier in this thread, but I now have a totally new build on the same Bushy lower

Upper: BCM 16" light weight middy with DD lite rail 12.0, BCM bolt carrier group and AAC Brakeout muzzle brake.

Optic: Aimpoint Comp M4 on Larue mount

Light: Surefire mini scout M300

Other stuff: Magpul ACS, AFG (recently got rid of this for the new RVG as the AFG did not really do it for me), ASAP plate with MS2 sling, Tango Down battle grip and MBUS sights. Blue Force Gear Redi Mod.

I chose this setup in order to have a capable grab and go carbine for home defense while still maintaining some sort of weight management. In retrospect a T1 or H1 in a DD or Larue mount might have been a little better but I do love my comp M4

Downloads
    Uploads
    My "go-to" rifle:
    Spikes upper and lower receiver: I try to branch out and get a variety of receivers, especially from those who go above and beyond on customer support, so when I saw Spikes was planning on a brown anodized receiver set I grabbed my phone and got on the list. While the fit and finish is not as nice as Mega (a little play and some minor machining marks), everything is in spec and I love it. It looked like the upper had a little dry moly in it, but I went ahead and gave it a good coat anyways since I start my builds now with some in the upper and on the charging handle.
    DD Mk18 RIS II rail: not going to lie, I got this because I wanted a 10" rail and something to match up with the receivers, the fact I found it new for the same price as a Lite made it easier. I have Lite rails on 3 of my other builds and love them, I do plan on getting an Omega X for my next because I hate that the Lite has no QD sockets. I went with 10" because I discovered how cramped a carbine length gets on my last build.
    Noveske CQB Barrel: I originally was going to go with a 11.5" in either the Sabre or BCM flavor, but I found this on the EE new with a pinned GB for cheap, so I jumped on it. It had some issues and ended up getting sent back for an out-of-spec gas port, but with awesome customer service and a fast return it hasn't skipped a beat since.
    A2 Flash Hider: I think I have every fancy FH around and have gotten to the point that the A2 does everything I need and like without the extra cash. If I wanted a brake that would be different.
    Troy Sights: I have always liked Troy BUIS, this was my first front sight from them, I wish they took AR sight posts since the AK post is so fat in mine, but for a CQB setup it cant go wrong.
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group: not much to say about this, good for the money and I know I have their support should an issue ever arise.
    Bravo Mod3 Charging Handle: Love this thing, I have always put larger CHs on my SHTF guns, but the gunfighter knocks the socks off any Badger.
    Aimpoint T-1 w/ Larue mount: I like simple and reliable things, the T-1 is everything. I would put them on all my rifles if they had a 2MOA version, but for this use I can't complain. I also prefer lower 1/3 for CQB.
    Magpul BAD lever: I got this for the same reason it was made, makes reloads a snap and combined with GunFighter it makes clearing a double feed stupidly easy.
    Magpul ASAP mount and MS2 Sling: I normally have been a 2 point sling, but I wanted a decent 1 pointer for this rifle, glad I went with the Magpul. I still have a Gear sector QD for when I use my padded VTAC or Gear Sector GS-2P, but I am pretty much 1-pointer now for this rifle. I can say that in a t-shirt and a long day, the magpul will ride up my shoulder to my neck and rub, which makes me hope for a wider or padded version.
    SureFire Scout w/ SR07 switch: I got this new ridiculously cheap, but soon found that I could not have it at the 9'Oclock with my AFG where I want/need it, and couldn't operate it at 3'Oclock. So I got the SR07 switch which allows me to maintain my grip and use it, and the light is in a location where I can still shoot non-dominant and have a place for my hand. Ultimately I would like a offset mount on the left.
    Magpul AFG: I have always used shorty foregrips with just my pinky and ring finger, so the AFG seemed right up my alley. First impressions were low until I stippled it and gave it some texture. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but after a class this weekend I couldn't be happier.
    Magpul XTM panels: I wanted to mess around with dye and always liked the camo look.
    Magpul MIAD: simply the best fitting grip I have tried. This was dyed along with the stock and some XTM panels.
    Magpul CTR: My favorite carbine stock, easy and rugged.
    Armalite Lower Parts Kit: decided to try a "higher end" lower parts kit, everything is tops, trigger has 0 creep which takes some getting used to. Still waiting on a Troy ambi selector.

think that covers it all. The gun has a Spikes ST-T2 buffer and runs like a champ, lubed with Spectro Platinum 10w-50 simply because I always have extra after changing the oil on my bike.

Last edited by eternal24k; 26 April 2010 at 09:43. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    My "go-to" rifle:
    Nice! Love it. Really dig the Spikes Brown, wish it was still available.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the parts used are pretty apparent, but if you have any questions, just ask.

Recently updated CQBR.

She has Bushmaster roll-marks on her, but all that is left of the original BM rifle is the upper and lower housings.
    Everything else has been replaced little-by-little over time.

Next step is to replace the 16" barrel with a 12" and make her a SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    A question was posed on another board asking what you considered to be an ultimate carbine if you could only have one AR15, while I could have gone a few different directions, here was my reply.

If I could only have one, and it would have to serve as a jack of all trades, for LE, MIL, SHTF, or any other uses, this is what it would be.

Noveske upper- An upper is an upper as long as its in spec, the only reason to change would be for a reinforced upper like a MUR if needed.
    Noveske N4 barrel- HIgh quality, more accurate than needed, stellarlongevity, etc etc... the 12.5" provides a combination of handling and lethality for a reasonable distance.
    Noveske BCG- High quality M16 BCG.
    Noveske lower- FA isn't a requirement for very many things, but its a nice option to have, and I like both their people, and products.

KAC rear sight- High quality durable sight that can be adjusted as needed.
    KAC front folding sight- Pinned folding sight that isn't going to come loose.
    KAC Aimpoint Mount- Rock solid heavy duty mount.

Insight AN/PEQ 15- Actual needs for this are debatable for many scenarios, but in the world of " haves" and "have nots", its better to "have".

AAC SPR/M4 FS- Since the can that goes along with it is in another picture, it makes sense to have the mount. No can needed for some scenarios, very needed for others. This mount also does a great job in killing flash when the can isn't being used.

Geiselle SSF trigger- Fantastic trigger that has proven itself with some of the most elite of units. In the world of ultimate combat triggers, this is it in my book. I run mine with a slightly heavier disco spring.

Midwest Industries QD Sling Mount- This sling mount works great, locks up tight and is low profile.

Surefire Scout Light- Very bright, very durable, very simple.

Magpul PMAG- Reliable magazine that takes a lot of abuse, windowed or standard, I have no preference, they work and thats what matters.
    Magpul MIAD- This configuration fits my hand perfectly, and yes I like the front strap with the finger nub.
    Magpul ACS Stock- I have an entire review with a loads of pictures that explain why I consider this the ultimate stock ACS Stock Review

LMT 40mm Grenade launcher- There is more to life than 40mm HEDP, but while they are useful, flares aren't as fun. Besides, the 203 on this takes me back to my days of being a M203 gunner complete with cadence.....

What no redi-mod?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    What no redi-mod?

The weight and bulk of any weapon with a 203 is increased enough as it is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ya, very true. but its not that bad, then again being a 19 year old 12B, nothing is 2 heavy to carry

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my first AR in roughly 20 years. My last was a late 80's Colt A2 HBAR rifle. For my new AR I wanted a more flexible platform, not for any critical use but rather as a means to familiarize myself with the current AR carbine and various accessories intended to improve function and/or ergonomics. This carbines primarily intended for range use and as a high powered plinker from 10 yards out to as far as 300 yards with most shooting within 100 yards. With that in mind most of the ammunition this carbine will send downrange will be commonly available .55gr .223 bulk factory loads. This platform will allow me to figure out what works best for me for different applications and then apply this knowledge when making future decisions on AR purchases or builds (building is a definite interest for the future).

The weapon: Smith & Wesson M&P15T
    After a good bit of research, handling a wide variety of AR configurations (within Washington state law limitations), ands hooting a few at local ranges I decided that the current (manufactured in-house) Smith & Wesson M&P15T would be an ideal weapon to start with:
    * 16" 1:9 barrel is appropriate for my intended use.
    * 10" free-floating quad rail forend and uninterrupted top rail will allow for the use of just about any rail-mounted accessory and optics.
    * Mil-spec receiver extension allows for a wide range of options for collapsible stock.
    * Stock Troy BUIS may be removed and replaced if desired.
    * Following the early quirks before S&W tooled up for in-house production the M&P15's seem to enjoy a reputation as a reliable and accurate AR (mine has proven itself worthy of this reputation with 2,000+ rounds downrange and not a single malfunction to date + accuracy beyond my current skill level).

** The trigger on my M&P15 is a fantastic example of how good a standard GI trigger can be. I haven't measured pull weight but it feels like 6-7 lbs. There's no creep and the break is crisp and consistent. It's very smooth as well - no grittiness.

Ergonomic modifications:

Collapsible stock: Magpul CTR w/ enhanced buttpad
    I looked at most of the available aftermarket stocks and the Magpul CTR seemed to me to be the best candidate: lightweight (I found the M&P fairly well balanced with the standard M4 stock), friction lock provides a tight fit to the receiver extension, multiple options for attaching a sling. Since I found the AR-15 rifle stock to provide a sufficient cheek weld for me I had no need to look at wider stocks. The CTR was inexpensive enough to order sight unseen. It turned out to be a great decision as I find it to be very comfortable. I found the length of the CTR (and the M$ stock) shorter in length than I'd want fully extended. This was easily remedied by adding a Magpul enhanced buttpad to the CTR.

Pistol grip: Magpul MIAD
    I initially switched out the stock A2 grip for a Hogue ergonomic grip. The palm swell made for a more comfortable grip but I found over time that my natural grip didn't fit the molded finger grooves. After picking up an AR equipped with a Magpul MIAD I decided to order one. The small backstrap w/o beavertail and no finger notch up front turned out to be the most comfortable for me. I have a 2-AA battery core in the grip (spares for the optic).

Forend covers / front grip: Ladder style rail covers
    I have experimented with VFG's and the Magpul AFG and, so far, I appear to be most comfortable with a forend grip parallel to the bore. I also tried a few molded rail covers (the Magpul XTM's being my favorite of the bunch) but they increased the diameter of the forend enough that I wasn't getting as positive a grip up front as I'd like. I now have ladder style rail covers in place and I find they make for a positive and comfortable grip.

Functional modifications:

Trigger guard: Magpul enhanced aluminum trigger guard
    Winter showed up not too long after I bought this weapon and I decided after one cold day at the range that a trigger guard that allows for shooting with gloved hands was an excellent idea. I picked up a Magpul aluminum trigger guard locally and installed it in minutes. The next trip to the range was more comfortable. This should be standard equipment on any AR in my opinion.

Charging handle: BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter Mod 4
    This is just one of those things where, after reading the basic product copy, seemed like another one of those functional improvements that should be standard equipment on an AR. I ordered one up and installed it when it arrived and it has proven to be a significant functional improvement over a standard AR charging handle.

Bolt catch / release: Magpul B.A.D. lever
    This also seemed to me to be a simple and very useful functional improvement to the AR platform. I ordered one and installed it and, just like the Gunfighter CH, this proved to provide a significant functional improvement over the standard catch/release paddle. It's also more solid than it looks.

Sling: Blackhawk V-TAC adjustable 2-point sling with QD swivels
    I haven't used a sling much in the past and so this is my first real attemt to find a sling arrangement that works well for me. I'm down to two options: a 2-point configuration between a QD socket at the back of the receiver and a QD socket on the left side of the quad rail close to the receiver, and a quasi single-point arrangement where the sling attaches to QD sockets on both sides just behind the receiver. I seem to be favoring this second configuration but haven't completely decided yet. Fortunately the same length is required for both configurations so I can switch between them easily.

Sling mounts: Tango Down PR-4 and Troy low-profile rail QD swivel mount.
    The Troy QD mount is pretty simple - low profile (just a little wider than one rail slot) and no sharp corners.
    The PR-4 is a slick piece of kit: clamps around the buffer tube and the lower half of the castle nut, holds fast, no sharp edges, weighs less than 3 ounces, and provides three QD sockets one one each side and on at the back.

Buffer: Spikes ST-T2
    I did some shooting swapping the stock H buffer and the ST-T2 every 10 rounds or so and the ST-T2 makes for smoother cycling and a slightly reduced recoil impulse. It's a minor difference but I found it noticeable enough to warrant keeping the Spikes buffer installed.

Muzzle device BCE Battle Comp (Update 7/2/2010)
    I've been reading about compensators for a while now trying to decide which to go with. There seems to be some measure of compromise when choosing a muzzle device for a specific function (i.e. KAC 3T reportedly produce more noise and flash than, say, an A2 flash hider). After reading the overwhelmingly positive feedback from BCE Battle Comp users regarding its performance as a dedicated compensator while producing about the same flash and noise as an A2 I decided to give it a go. I'm very pleased with the Battle Comp! As many report it seems to eliminate muzzle rise altogether. Iit's easy to keep the reticle or sights on target so follow-up shot speed is more dependent upon how quickly I can pull the trigger and not how fast I can get the muzzle back on target. I can't comment on flash as I have not had opportunity to shoot in low light / night conditions. Shooters on either side of me had no issue with concussive noise, no more than with the A2 anyway.

Optics: Eotech 512 for short range (and... still experimenting with long range scopes - no decision here yet)
    Both LED and laser based RDS/HWS tend to bloom just a bit with my eyes - not so much as to make them unusable, just less sharp than others see them by description and by photograph. Of the sights I've tried to date the Eotech is my favorite and works best with my eyes. I definitely see the Eotech reticle clearly enough for it to function as intended for me. I also prefer the absolute cowitness provided by the Eotech integral mount with flip up BUIS. I'm proficient with iron sights and I'm fast becoming proficient with RDS/HWS sights as well.
    I have a Primary Arms 4.5-14x scope and mount as my first long range scope ever. I am enjoying shooting 200-300 yard distances with it and I may look into other options for long range optics in the future.

Sights: Troy flip-up BUIS (stock) with KNS .034 bead top front sight post
    While reading though posts and articles online I found reference to KNS front sight posts (a round crosshair post I believe) which led to a visit to the KNS site. The bead-top front sight posts they offer caught my interest (the thought being that a round bead would naturally center in a round aperture). I ordered the smallest diameter bead top post they make (.034) and, as I suspected, it does indeed center naturally in the round rear sight aperture. This post is more fragile than the stock post and might not be an ideal choice for combat use for that reason. This is not a service weapon so it works out just fine for me. I would almost certainly order a larger diameter version of this front sight post for any use where the current post might be considered too fragile.

Light / mount: Streamlight PolyTac LED & VLTOR Scout Offset light mount
    There's not much to this decision. The Streamlight PolyTac LED is lightweight, rugged, and provides 130 lumens for 3 hours continuous use. The VLTOR Scout offset mount is lightweight and it keeps the light tight to the corner of the rail placing the end cap switch within comfortable reach of my thumb.

Other accessories: Harris 6-9" swivel bipod / GG&G rail mount
    Not much to say about this one. I use it with the PA 14x scope for long range shooting. Works as intended.

The final configuration turned out to be fairly simple, lightweight, and easy to change configuration for long range shooting. This carbine is definitely serving its intended purpose perfectly. I'm planning to start my first build later this year, once I've decided fully what the focus of my next AR will be.

Last edited by Deaj; 23 November 2010 at 03:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started shopping for an AR during the dark time of early 2009. I initially put down a deposit on a LMT MRP and settled in for the 6+ month wait. Around month 5 I walked into my shop, handled a DDM4, was very impressed, and used my MRP deposit on it. I went for it because it is relatively lightweight, required very few modifications to get it where I wanted it, and is made by a reputable company who puts out quality products that they stand behind. It is my HD rifle and has also been on an ill fated coyote hunting trip. Hopefully more coyote/hog hunting is in its future. It might also serve as a duty rifle depending on the policies of the department I get hired by. (hopefully by October)

Paint: I occasionally use this rifle for hunting, and I just think it looks good. Added bonus of not heating up as bad under the Texas sun as flat black.

X300: durable, lightweight, has a good beam, and is perfect for mounting at 12:00. I have since moved it to the furthest forward slot on the rail and wrap my thumb over the top rail, activating the light with my knuckle.

AFG: more comfy for me (long arms). Stippled for better purchase.

H1 in DD tall mount: durable, always on, lightweight, simple. Not much more needs to be said. Never had a problem with head position keeping me from seeing the dot.

MOE grip: more comfy than the A2, stores spare light and optic batteries.

BAD:Makes reloading slightly faster, really helps with malfunction clearance and admin unloading.

Sling (not pictured): Not left on when in HD role. I have a VTAC and VCAS, can't decide which I like better. Leaning towards the VCAS at the moment.

Planned upgrades

3x mag in Larue FTS mount: will make distance shooting slightly easier without affecting close range shooting.

Folding rear BUIS: Necessary for 3x mag use.

New trigger: Will most likely get a LWRCI or Spikes enhanced trigger, but have not heard detailed reviews of either.

Battlecomp: Greatly reduced recoil with no noise penalty seems to be the report so far. I am intrigued as the FSC556 seems like it would still be unkind to other shooters on the line.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful rifle Texag. That's one of the finest snakeskin style camo jobs I've ever seen.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally have an AR15 layout to explain. This is my first AR and I built it piece by piece over the course of about a year. It's pretty simple, nothing really special in it.

Once it's complete and I've trained with it and it has been demonstrated to be accurate and reliable (and I have an intimate familarity with it) it will replace my shotgun for bump in the night investigation. With that end in mind I decided to keep it pretty simple.
    CTR stock - lightweight, stable, straightforward. At this point I don't really need to store anything. This one feels good.
    MIAD grip - I played with a lot of grips and this one felt the best in my hand. I find the A2 grips to be way too small. I have a couple of foam ear plugs in the storage area.
    LRB lower - this is the part that started the whole thing. I bought it from Ranier on the group buy.
    Stag LPK - There wasn't much available when I was shopping for LPKs. I got this one from a dealer at a gun show: "$65 for that Stag thing or for only $15 more you can get the DPMS." "Guess I'll just go ahead and get the Stag."
    BCM upper receiver - not much to say about an upper. Great fit and finish.
    MOE Handguards - Budget was also a large concern on this rifle. I'm not ready to spend the money on a rail but wanted more flexibility than standard handguards. In all honesty I also just like the way these look. A rail may be in the distant future but I honestly don't know if one is necessary for my use.
    Daniel Defense 16" barrel - I went back and forth on whether I wanted a 16" or a 14.5". I'm not ready to take the NFA plunge. I finally decided on the 16" basically because I didn't want to hassle with the permanently attached FH. BCM put these DD barrels on closeout (I assume because they switched to CHF). It was too good a deal to pass up. I don't believe my skill or experience is enough to be able to tell the difference.
    A2 Flash Hider - Something cheap to stick on the end of the barrel.
    The rear sight is a carry handle with the handle removed. This rifle will very likely someday have an optic on it but I plan on using irons for the time being until I can afford a good quality optic. I didn't see the need for sights that flip.

Currently the BCG that is in it is a M261 that a friend gave me. I'm hoping to have the money for the centerfire BCG later this summer. In the meantime I'll be using .22LR to get familiar with the platform.

I haven't fixed on a sling yet but I'm leaning toward a Gear Sector single point. Before this rifle takes over for the shotgun a TLR-1 will be mounted on it.

I think that's it.
    Last edited by sjohnny; 20 July 2010 at 18:12.

Downloads
    Uploads

CMMG Upper and Barrel - Picked this combo up from Bryan at AIM. It came off one of his weapons. CMMG is known for it's quality and i got it for a steal. Couldn't pass it up.
    Midwest Industries T-12 12" Rail - Another Used part. I wanted a 12" rail and well... I think I should have kept looking. Not impressed with the way it installed or the final alignment.
    Spike's $84 special lower - Man, I'll tell you what. If this is their "seconds" i'd love to see their "firsts". The Bolt catch retainer pin needed to be filed out by one or two strokes with a jeweler's file, but other than that it looks great!
    A2 stock - Well I thought that's what I wanted. Problem is i've changed my shooting stance since I last shot a fixed stock (circa 2004). Now that I shoot more squared up I've found the A2 to be to long. Oh well. Adapt and over come right?
    Magpul Miad Grip - Hands down the most comfortable grip i've held to date. I like the fact that I was able to customize it to my hand.
    Magpul MBUS Rear - Came with the upper. will be replaced by the new A.R.M.S. 71L series sights
    ADM AD-Scout Mount - I refuse to give money to "the other guy", the GG&G mount was spec'd to low, and borbo was to $$. I got this like new mount for $90 shipped. Couldn't pass it up.
    Leatherwood 1-4x24mm glass - New Glass on the market. I really wanted a 1x variable scope. That way i'm not having to piggy back or offset a red dot. The green horseshoe reticle and mil-dots sealed the deal. Just got it in today, so i'll have a range report later.
    Rainer Arms XTC Compensator - Haven't had a chance to put the second one through it's paces yet. i'll be hitting the range with it later this month.

Adding soon:
    Magpul AFG - I don't really grip a traditional VFG like they are designed to. this looks to be more my style.
    Arms 71l series sights - New sights by a kick ass manufacturer. Going to give them a wirl and report back.
    Magpul UBR - Fixed stock look with adjustability. can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Urban Tactical Gear; 10 June 2010 at 17:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is your front MBUS on backwards on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    I think the parts used are pretty apparent, but if you have any questions, just ask.

Recently updated CQBR.

She has Bushmaster roll-marks on her, but all that is left of the original BM rifle is the upper and lower housings.
    Everything else has been replaced little-by-little over time.

Next step is to replace the 16" barrel with a 12" and make her a SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This started out as a simple rebarreling project, then it was a new upper; by the time I was done every single component was replaced - almost like the 200 year old axe joke. This is meant to be a general purpose carbine covering everything from home defense through carbine classes up to SHTF.

The whats and whys:

• Lower receiver - AGP Arms. I wanted a great quality forged receiver without FA markings (IL is a squirrelly state) and marked 5.56 instead of "multi". I first used one of AGP's lowers on my dedicated .22LR build and was so impressed with the quality that I decided to use them for future builds. I used a RRA LPK and a RRA star selector - their LPKs are decent quality to my experience and I like the star because I find it easier to manipulate.

• Upper receiver, BCG and Gunfighter Mod 5 charging handle - Bravo Company. Good, solid, quality upper and BCG, and I like the wider latch on the Mod 5 CH. I've played with a few non-BCM oversized latches and don't care for them - they dig in and snag my gear when slung, probably due to my body shape.

• Barrel - Daniel Defense CHF chrome-lined 1:7 pencil 14.5" with a pinned Saylors Machine Phoenix flash suppressor. I'm not a fan of heavier barrels and when these became available through G&R I abandoned all plans of using another Bushmaster Superlight. This isn't meant to be a minimum weight build, but IMO lighter is better for balance.

• Magazines - my actively used magazines are all Magpul Maglevel PMAGs. I do have a pile of USGI 20 and 30 rounders, but the Magpuls have always functioned 100% for me.

• Iron Sights - a "F" FSB with a Hahn Precision rear BUIS. I prefer a pinned front sight base for durability and simplicity on "serious" rifles and carbines. I've owned several different rear BUIS over the years and handled a whole lot more, and most of them are IMO too complex for a BUIS. I wanted a simple folding rear that was low profile, low parts count and durable. The Hahn met my needs perfectly - it mounts up solid, has a sturdy aperture stalk and is almost impossible to inadvertently change zero because it uses an A1 windage drum.

• RDS - EOTech XPS2-0 in a GG&G Accucam QD mount. I've used an EOTech for about five years now after first using an early Aimpoint and prefer the ring-and-dot sight picture to a simple red dot. My old 511 eats batteries, but the XPS series seems to be a mature product. I'm not a huge fan of lower 1/3 cowitness which is why I went with the GG&G - I wanted QD capability without a riser, GG&G is the only solution I know.

• Buttstock - ACS buttstock with enhanced buttpad. ACS is pretty much my default stock - I like the cheekweld, it balances well for me since I prefer slightly butt-heavy balance and (with the enhanced buttpad) is just about the perfect length for me two clicks out in shirtsleeves or one click out in a chore coat. There's a broken cartridge removal tool, an A1 rear sight tool and a A2 front sight tool stashed in the hinged compartment plus extra foam earplugs in the tubes. I went with Foliage Green for the furniture because the color works well most of the year around here.

• Pistol grip - Magpul MOE pistol grip with a 123 battery insert. Magpul's PG shape works well for me after years of using Hogue PGs; I have tried TD and Ergo PGs, but prefer the MOE/MIAD shape. MIAD has features I don't need, so MOE it is.

• Handguard - Daniel Defense Omega with Gear Sector handstop and Magpul XT rail covers. The rail was the last big decision I made; I originally tried a MOE handguard on this carbine but was getting frustrated with both the lack of space and poor position for white light mounting and the need to kludge together a HK sling loop. I tried a few other rail covers (Troy, TD, ladders) before settling on the XTs - XTMs were my second choice but I preferred the texture and thin profile of the XTs. I also played around with several different offhand accessories - a few different VFGs, an AFG, two different handstops - before I tried a Gear Sector handstop which proved to be what I was looking for.

• Slinging - Boonie Packer 2-TQA converted to a 1/2 point using HK clips, a Magpul ASAP and a Gear Sector HK loop on the Omega. I'm still relatively new to tactical slinging and was turned on to Boonie Packer by kwranglin's suggestions. Their 2-TQA sling when converted to 1/2 point configuration using HK snap hooks does everything I need. The ASAP works well for me - I prefer a rear of receiver mount (again due to body type) and a rear of handguard sling point. The Gear Sector mount is a quality piece of kit that doesn't stick out as much as some other mounts, a consideration on the short carbine handguard.

• White light - Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on a Daniel Defense 1:00 rail mount. IMO a carbine length handguard doesn't have enough room to mount a white light directly to a side rail, but cantilevering it off the top works well for my hold. I went with the TLR due to budget - I couldn't justify an X-300. It's really the only cost compromise I've made on this carbine; in retrospect I'd do it again.

• The future - I hesitate to ever call a project "complete", but this one is awfully damn close. The only thing I'm still considering adding is a Wilson Combat TTU, but that's unlikely. I'm trying to get involved in carbine classes, and I wouldn't be surprised that my configuration gets tweaked a bit as I find what really works when things go bang.

I've put a lot of thought and effort into this carbine and am very pleased with how it has turned out. I wasn't afraid to experiment while working this one up (different sling points, a cheaper oval drop-in HG to see whether I wanted a rail or not, an AFG, a VFG) which helped a lot. I've very interested to see how my configuration works out in carbine classes and practical drills; if something has to change based on what I learn, it will.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Looks good HD.

How do you like the TLR-1 mounted in that position?