Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    How do you like the TLR-1 mounted in that position?
    Thanks, Quib.

I like it a lot. When I first got the TLR I tried it in different locations but it was just too cramped for me directly on the handguard. I don't care for sight tower mounts (just a personal thing), and when I came across the 1:00 mount I figured I'd give it a try. I like how it "hovers" the light above the front of the rail, all I have to do is lift my thumb from where I keep it on top of the rail to hit either TLR paddle. It's out of the way for normal shooting.

I was worried I'd beat my thumb up under recoil but it hasn't been a problem. I am thinking about hitting the end of the TLR battery box latch with some Plasti-dip, it's a little sharp if I fumble the grip.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks, Quib.
    I am thinking about hitting the end of the TLR battery box latch with some Plasti-dip, it's a little sharp if I fumble the grip.

Sounds like a good idea.

Ever since I added the TLR-1 to my carbine, I've been entertaining the idea of making the switch paddles less prone to accidental activation. I should look back into that again......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    My "go-to" rifle:
    Spikes upper and lower receiver: I try to branch out and get a variety of receivers, especially from those who go above and beyond on customer support, so when I saw Spikes was planning on a brown anodized receiver set I grabbed my phone and got on the list. While the fit and finish is not as nice as Mega (a little play and some minor machining marks), everything is in spec and I love it. It looked like the upper had a little dry moly in it, but I went ahead and gave it a good coat anyways since I start my builds now with some in the upper and on the charging handle.
    DD Mk18 RIS II rail: not going to lie, I got this because I wanted a 10" rail and something to match up with the receivers, the fact I found it new for the same price as a Lite made it easier. I have Lite rails on 3 of my other builds and love them, I do plan on getting an Omega X for my next because I hate that the Lite has no QD sockets. I went with 10" because I discovered how cramped a carbine length gets on my last build.
    Noveske CQB Barrel: I originally was going to go with a 11.5" in either the Sabre or BCM flavor, but I found this on the EE new with a pinned GB for cheap, so I jumped on it. It had some issues and ended up getting sent back for an out-of-spec gas port, but with awesome customer service and a fast return it hasn't skipped a beat since.
    A2 Flash Hider: I think I have every fancy FH around and have gotten to the point that the A2 does everything I need and like without the extra cash. If I wanted a brake that would be different.
    Troy Sights: I have always liked Troy BUIS, this was my first front sight from them, I wish they took AR sight posts since the AK post is so fat in mine, but for a CQB setup it cant go wrong.
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group: not much to say about this, good for the money and I know I have their support should an issue ever arise.
    Bravo Mod3 Charging Handle: Love this thing, I have always put larger CHs on my SHTF guns, but the gunfighter knocks the socks off any Badger.
    Aimpoint T-1 w/ Larue mount: I like simple and reliable things, the T-1 is everything. I would put them on all my rifles if they had a 2MOA version, but for this use I can't complain. I also prefer lower 1/3 for CQB.
    Magpul BAD lever: I got this for the same reason it was made, makes reloads a snap and combined with GunFighter it makes clearing a double feed stupidly easy.
    Magpul ASAP mount and MS2 Sling: I normally have been a 2 point sling, but I wanted a decent 1 pointer for this rifle, glad I went with the Magpul. I still have a Gear sector QD for when I use my padded VTAC or Gear Sector GS-2P, but I am pretty much 1-pointer now for this rifle. I can say that in a t-shirt and a long day, the magpul will ride up my shoulder to my neck and rub, which makes me hope for a wider or padded version.
    SureFire Scout w/ SR07 switch: I got this new ridiculously cheap, but soon found that I could not have it at the 9'Oclock with my AFG where I want/need it, and couldn't operate it at 3'Oclock. So I got the SR07 switch which allows me to maintain my grip and use it, and the light is in a location where I can still shoot non-dominant and have a place for my hand. Ultimately I would like a offset mount on the left.
    Magpul AFG: I have always used shorty foregrips with just my pinky and ring finger, so the AFG seemed right up my alley. First impressions were low until I stippled it and gave it some texture. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but after a class this weekend I couldn't be happier.
    Magpul XTM panels: I wanted to mess around with dye and always liked the camo look.
    Magpul MIAD: simply the best fitting grip I have tried. This was dyed along with the stock and some XTM panels.
    Magpul CTR: My favorite carbine stock, easy and rugged.
    Armalite Lower Parts Kit: decided to try a "higher end" lower parts kit, everything is tops, trigger has 0 creep which takes some getting used to. Still waiting on a Troy ambi selector.

think that covers it all. The gun has a Spikes ST-T2 buffer and runs like a champ, lubed with Spectro Platinum 10w-50 simply because I always have extra after changing the oil on my bike.

That is super nice!
    By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy otherwise known as "THE BEAST."

Downloads
    Uploads
    LWRC M6A2 12.7" Carbine Length 5.56 - Good length compromise for size / velocity

Aimpoint T-1 in Larue Tall Mount - High Quality no paralax optic with long battery life and little weight
    Insight PEQ-15 ATPIAL - IR laser and illuminator for Active night shooting
    Surefire M620V - White and IR light - Active night shooting, better than PEQ-15 Illuminator
    TNVC PVS-14 Quick Mount - For Passive Night Shooting, Best QD Mounting Solution around
    TROY BUIS - Excellent quality Backup irons
    Magpul CTR - Light and Small
    Magpul MOE - Good geometry for me
    Ambi Safety - For Support Side Safety manipulation
    Magpul BAD - Malfunction Clearance and Quicker Mag changes
    VLTOR / BCM Gunfighter - Ultra Strong charging Handle with large latch for easier manipulation
    Surefire Dual Pressure Switch - Easy Manipulation of Light and PEQ-15
    Magpul AFG - Works well for the over the top Hold and very comfortable
    Magpul ASAP - For use with MS2 (Will probably change this)
    CQD Forward Mount - FOr use with MS2 (Will probably change this too)
    Spikes T-2 Buffer - Smoother recoil impulse and perfect for use with Suppressor
    AAC SPR/M4 Suppressor - Reflex design, great sound suppression, minimal added length
    Custom SPR/M4 Brake - Integrated BattleComp and SPR/M4 Mount - Best of both worlds, recoil mitigation when not using the suppressor, and can mount the can.
    Aimpoint 3x Mag in Larue Mount - When Needed
    Magpul XTM Panels - For color coordination
    Geisselle SSA Trigger - I prefer two stage, and this is the best game in town.

And now to the good stuff, sorry for the poor quality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first AR pistol. 7.62x39. It's 28.25" long and the 30mm ring is missing the Aimpoint Comp M2. TLR-1. Hopefully soon a TLR-1s will be taking it's place. Can't wait to get this thing to the range. Still need charging handle and badger tac latch and bolt carrier group. That'll come in the following weeks. OD Green rail ladders by Tony's Custom Ladders. They're nice to put on and hold very well. Not pictured is an OD sling by Northwest Tactical. Single point.

This lower is for function testing. When it gives me two thumbs up I'll be sending the $200 to the ATF for SBRing my LMT lower. This setup resides on an LMT upper and TNW lower that is virgin.
    "Ever notice the sound of a gun being charged is the universal language of dominance?"

Why I own a Grendel: "You don't shoot 6.5 bullets. You toss them in the air, they go downrange on their own."

There are no such things as problems. There are only opportunities for solutions. And I've arrived at a solution for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First purchased 1 year ago it has gone through a few different layouts. Im thinking this is the last. Its a M6A1 after a little Drimel work. This rifle is very comfortable to shoot and accurate.

Starting with the stock. The ACS was chosen for looks at first and has proven to be perfect for balancing after adding the longer rail. I chose the Mod 3 CH for quicker/left handed manipulation. Eotech XPS dot & donut for quick target acqusition with the ability to take aimed shots w/ the dot. MBus for the price to be honest. Miad grip for its adjustability and comfort. The AFG positions my non firing hand in a nice sturdy way that makes follow-up shots quicker for me. THe Troy rail was chasen for its light weight, slim profile and looks.THe sling is from Larue and was originally thrown in on an order "just because" but has turned out to be a great sling. All in all it has become a great handling weapon that one day I hope to really put through the pases.

I forgot to add the BAD lever. It makes reloads a breeze and I imagine would allow a person to stay focused on the likely and known.
    Last edited by mjkeat; 6 July 2010 at 10:25.

Downloads
    Uploads

Basic Build - My build looks at budget and functionality. Overall my platform is under 8lbs and all the parts function very well. r

1. Upper and Lower S&W Receivers. Wanted to try something different but a a budget price.
    2. Magpul MOE Handguard, Pistol Grip, Buttstock, and AFG
    3. Spikes Tactical Buffer - heavier buffer to reduce recoil
    4. BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle, Medium - gives me ability to charge with left hand
    5. Midwest Industries Sling Adapter and MI Single Point Sling - bungee type sling
    6. Primary Arms M3 Red Dot and x3 Magnifier - budget optics and even though not an Aimpoint; works very well.

Inbound:
    a. Magpul B.A.D Lever - right hand operation for bolt lock
    b. Rainier Arms XTC Compensator - one of the better budget compensator on market.
    Last edited by sangria7; 5 July 2010 at 18:39.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Guys, please remember to post WHY you selected the parts you are using. While listing the parts is nice, it doesn't help other readers understand why you decided on the parts you are using, and what the pros and cons are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lmtrocks View Post
    My first AR pistol. 7.62x39. It's 28.25" long and the 30mm ring is missing the Aimpoint Comp M2. TLR-1. Hopefully soon a TLR-1s will be taking it's place. Can't wait to get this thing to the range. Still need charging handle and badger tac latch and bolt carrier group. That'll come in the following weeks. OD Green rail ladders by Tony's Custom Ladders. They're nice to put on and hold very well. Not pictured is an OD sling by Northwest Tactical. Single point.

This lower is for function testing. When it gives me two thumbs up I'll be sending the $200 to the ATF for SBRing my LMT lower. This setup resides on an LMT upper and TNW lower that is virgin.

Thanks for the reminder Stick---it's easy to get lost in the awesome pictures everyone posts here

The TNW lower was available locally for good $$$. $85 OTD. I had my stripped LMT upper with me to look at the fit and finish of the two when sitting on each other. Golf Tango Golf.

I also chose the Wilson Arms 7.62x39 barrel from Delton because it was extremely cost effective. $165. It came with the FSB that I cut down to make a low profile gas block out of. I much prefer pinned because they're the most secure method of keeping a gas block in place. I could've chosen the ER Shaw 11.5" barrel from M1S but I knew with the 10" YHM Specter LW handguard I only wanted the flash hider showing from the end of the handguard and keeping the gas block covered. I like the look and it makes for a much smaller footprint. I had a friend locally with a CNC lathe cut the barrel down to where the flash hider/crush washer showed and put a 1/2x36 thread on it. The flash hider is a 9mm from Brownells. $60 each. "Pain compliance" tip if used in CQB. Doesn't stop muzzle flash like a Vortex would but does a good job nonetheless. If my house was ever broken into there would be 135 lumens for target identification.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...ASH_SUPPRESSOR

The 30mm mount didn't have my Vortex Strikefire in it during that picture but it is in there for the mean time for function testing. I am picking up my Aimpoint Comp M2 next week. With Sportsman's Whse reopening in Lexington I layawayed it for $319+tax. $340 NIB. That was a good day.

The YHM Specter length handguard installs very easily. I read somewhere that those with armorers wrenches can install the barrel nut without purchasing the YHM barrel nut wrench. Plus the fact that I got the rail system from Jsesurplus.com for $99 + s/h. The Tony's Custom Ladders are also available from there for $3 each. I figured since I always wanted green ladders they were worth a shot. They grip nicely, and imho they look good.

The TLR-1 is mounted at 6 o'clock because even though the Vortex is in the high mount I can still see the TLR-1 in the sight picture. I am one of those persons that can't stand to have anything in my sight picture. My handguns mount lights below the barrel so I do the same on my long guns.

CProduct magazines for the 7.62x39 are readily available and decently priced. Aimsurplus has the "30 round" mags which actually hold 28 for about $13 ea plus shipping. I load mine to 25. Just got the 10rd mags yesterday. Will be function testing them soon as well.

Lastly the Northeast Tactical SP sling is also in OD green. I have plans to put a magpul asap on my LMT lower but only after the SBR process is complete. In the mean time an ambi sling plate resides where the normal egg plate would go.

Last edited by lmtrocks; 7 July 2010 at 08:53.
    "Ever notice the sound of a gun being charged is the universal language of dominance?"

Why I own a Grendel: "You don't shoot 6.5 bullets. You toss them in the air, they go downrange on their own."

There are no such things as problems. There are only opportunities for solutions. And I've arrived at a solution for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

More on my AR.

Added the following:

1. BAD Lever: Made sense to add this because I had the Gunfighter charging handle. Now I can fully manipulate the rifle without leaving fire control.

2. XTC Compensator: Rainier Arms Comp is a great comp for its price. Muzzle rise was minimized and the recoil controlled rearward. I did not notice any significant difference in blast sound. Reminds me of the old AK style comps.

3. Magpul Enhance Butt-pad: I added to see if I can get more felt-recoil reduction and better comfort with this. It is a little hard to get used to since it is significantly thicker, but I have yet to range test this.

4. Magpul Advanced Trigger Guard: Better suited shooting with gloves.

5. Tango Down VGF: After switching over two dozens time between the Magpul AFG and a UTG VFG, I finally broke down and bought a Tango Down VFG. I must say I prefer it now better than the AFG. The UTG VFG was just too bulky and did not feel right. The AFG felt fine, but the Tango Down VFG was my favorite. It allowed me to control the weapon the best either with a standard grip or the thumb break method.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my first post. Nice stuff guys.

Glad to be here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    New to the site and i figured the best way to say hi is to show my rifle. I use it for home protection as long as target shooting, I love the magpul gear ive tried other makes and i felt the most comortable with their products and never failed me. I also went with KAC rail covers they are rock solid and i think they give you the most for your money. I also went with a YHM comp and i couldnt be happier with it. And now as for the optic its a Aimpoint Clone that i bought after trying some one elses at the range and loved it, so far it works pretty good holds zero and is very clear what more could you ask for. Of course i would like the real one but i would rather spend the money on ammo and if it breaks it breaks i wont loose any sleep over it.
    When i first bought her

And after

Last edited by devildogljb; 31 July 2010 at 02:01.

Downloads
    Uploads

Olympic Arms K3B-A3

Magpul MOE Stock
    Magpul MIAD pistol grip
    Magpul AFG
    Magpul BIUS
    Magpul Handguards
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
    EOTech 516.A65
    UTG Carbine Length Free Float Rail System (Suprisingly pleased with this)

This rifle started out as a simple K3B that I picked up from J&S Guns in Lacey, WA right after receiving the 1st Time Home Buyers Stimulus. It has since changed many times until it reached this configuration. I absolutely love the way this rifle performs. I have sent over 2,000 rounds down range and have had zero malfunctions.
    "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

Downloads
    Uploads

FrankenRifle

SNS "Skull" Lower
    DPMS Lower Parts Kit
    Rainier Arms flat top upper

This rifle will eventually be chambered in 5.45 x 39 and have a piston driven system. This is my first build from scratch and has been a great learning experience.
    "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty 0ne View Post

Olympic Arms K3B-A3

Magpul MOE Stock
    Magpul MIAD pistol grip
    Magpul AFG
    Magpul BIUS
    Magpul Handguards
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
    EOTech 516.A65
    UTG Carbine Length Free Float Rail System (Suprisingly pleased with this)

This rifle started out as a simple K3B that I picked up from J&S Guns in Lacey, WA right after receiving the 1st Time Home Buyers Stimulus. It has since changed many times until it reached this configuration. I absolutely love the way this rifle performs. I have sent over 2,000 rounds down range and have had zero malfunctions.

Thats nice man. The rifle has a great overall look to it.