Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice rifle, looks well thought out and from the components we know it will perform.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 1 August 2009 at 14:24.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Nice rifle, looks will thought out and from the components we know it will perform.

Cameron
    Thank you, it gave me a headache trying to figure out what I wanted. I doubt I'm done with it, its nicely balanced but I think its on the heavy side.

The second AR.

Purpose: A beater/loaner/theme/test rifle

Bushmaster Lower: Approved for work if I ever wanted to use it for work.

Changes to lower: Magpul MIAD; this configuration fits my hand better, but I find it a little harder to move the selector back to safe. Magpul Trigger Guard to eliminate the gap. KNS Anti-rotation pins just because.

CMMG 2 stage trigger: I wanted to see what the hype was about 2 stage triggers, I can say I'm not too impressed. It'll stay in the carbine til I break it.

LMT SOPMOD: The CTR was too light for this particular carbine and made it front heavy. The SOPMOD balanced it out.

Noveske QD Endplate: If I wanted to run a single point sling. QD mount.

CMMG 14.7" M4A1: I wanted an M4 profile barrel. I like the A2 compensator so a 14.7" barrel was necessary to get to 16.1". The heavy barrel was the only option available at the time, I was trying to build this one on a time restraint. I'm not sure if I'm regretting that choice or not. The weapon is still lighter then my other rifle. I wanted to resemble an M4 I carried in Iraq so a fixed FSB was needed. Installed BCM's extractor spring, black extractor insert, and O ring.

Troy Drop in rail: QD sling mounts. I liked how the top and bottom halfs were tighten together by screws unlike the KAC's lower half that wobbled. I've gone to reach for my M4 out of its rack and only have the lower half of the KAC/Surefire in hand... Nothing wrong with KAC products just wanted something different. Inexpensive.

KAC VFG: Thin and lightweight.

KAC Rail covers: Thin and lightweight.

Streamlight TLR-1: Another Deputy sold it to me for cheap. Its enough light and another lightweight option.

Matech BUIS: I like the small peep hole and range elevation. Sticking with the USGI theme.

EOTech 551 w/LaRue riser: Small, lightweight. I like the EOTech Reticle. The battery life however needs improvement. This may be replaced with a Comp ML2. LaRue riser: QD, LaRue quality.

LMT enhanced CH: More to grab.

Vikings Tactic's VTAC: Adjustable Two point.

NHMTG Mags: Magpul Ranger Plates and followers. It works.
    Last edited by Juicebox; 27 July 2009 at 12:51.

Downloads
    Uploads

Civilian shooting enthusiast. I like running rifles at weekly rifle league nights, and have just been introduced to the beauty of a monthly practical rifle match in the Portland area.

The top rifle is my primary fun gun, and I built it with reliability, light weight, and budget in mind. This is probably the 5th or 6th AR i've put together, and I learned that it is true what they say: buy quality once, cry once. I've definitely had my fair share of non-premium parts, and i've noticed i've always just ended up replacing them and losing even more money in the long run.

Upper/Barrel/Bolt Carrier Group: Noveske N4. Taken from a Magpul MOE edition rifle, this upper has had about 6-7K flawless rounds through it, most of it being my 55 gr FMJ reloads. The AAC M4-2K flash hider is welded on, and I appreciate the extra durability this affords. The accuracy and weight of the barrel profile is quite nice. I've never put on a dedicated magnified optic to see its accuracy potential though, nor have I put many precision hand loads through it. I get around 2 MOA with the ammo i feed the rifle, and optic i use with it when sand bagged. Longest distance i've fire it has been 250 yards at the June Practical Rifle match in the Portland area.

Lower: Standard CMMG. A lower is a lower is a lower in my book

FCG: Geiselle SSA. Durability and quality of trigger pull makes this trigger a real winner. It's even better I scored it for the original asking price of $145 before the price was increased to account for materials and QC costs.

Grip: Magpul MIAD. Feels great man

Stock: CTR. Very light and solid feeling.

Optic: Aimpoint T-1 with Larue mount. Great optic and mount straight from the Aimpoint factory. Bought this combo to replace a Aimpoint M4 which I found to be over built and too heavy for my tastes.

Sling: I alternate between the padded VTAC and Vickers sling. My slender body build makes it so 2 point slings don't really hinder me when switching shoulders ala Magpul Dynamics

Light: Surefire G2 with TNVC drop in high intensity bulb, mounted on VTAC mount. Added a surefire red lens filter to bring down light intensity. A very light weight combo that throws light well with decent battery life. I strongly prefer push button activation to handgun light rocker switches. The red lens filters lets me use the light as a "normal" light. The lens is easy to flip away to access the full 265 lumens though.

Rail: Omega Rail with standard TD shorty VFG, and magpul XT rails. XT rails are light and easy to customize with razor blades and dremels. The Omega rail is free floating, and was chosen so I didn't have to cut away the pinned AAC flash hider... but I would have strongly preferred a LITE rail if I didn't want to burn $200. The standard VFG is chosen over the QD version because its lighter, and I don't really see a need for QD. Installation was easy personally... just set the rifle down and use both hands to hold down locking tabs when sliding the VFG in place.

The only problems i've had so far with this rifle is 3 short strokes. I run a Sprinco "super duty" buffer spring as recommended by Mike Pannone, and used a H2 buffer because I thought more is better. My reloads are 24.5 gr of AA2230 behind a 55 gr FMJ-BT, and are closer to the lower end of the power spectrum for increased life of brass and overall safety.

I've suffered only 3 short strokes out of nearly 6K rounds, 4K of which were reloads, but decided to go with a H buffer instead, and found that there was no perceptible change in felt recoil. Hopefully, reliability will increase as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the starting point of my current project.

This is going to be my first midlength. Here's what's in it now:
    LRB Rainier group buy lower
    BCM 16" barreled upper
    BCM bolt carrier group
    M68 in Railgrabber
    CCH rear sight
    CTR
    TD Battlegrip
    Standard handguards

Here's what I'm looking at:
    MIAD
    ACS
    Trigger upgrade
    DD Lite or M4
    DD low pro gas block
    Burris XTR 1-4x30
    ADM mount
    Magpul MBUS

Here it is currently:
    A few more changes-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nrthwstrn, Did you ever finish your build with the Adams Arms kit? I finished my build using there mid lenght system a few months back and kind of forgot to post it on here. I'll get some photos and put something together tonight. The parts you decided on sound alot like mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is my first but definitely not my last AR build. I wanted to go with high end parts and didn't cut any corners for cost sake. I started with a SLR15 lower and a Stag lower parts kit. I used a Daniel Defense Lite Rail and a Vltor MUR upper (thanks to Noveske for hooking me up with that). From there I was able to get a MagPul UBR after a little wait time. I talked to the guys at Adams Arms at the SHOT show and decided to use there mid length piston kit for this build. I already have a LWRC M6A2 and wanted to continue the piston theme into this build. Besides, Adams Arms is homebased only 15 minutes from me and they appeared to have a great product and offered to assist me with the build (update-they do have a great product and they were great in helping me with the build.) I was able to pick up a Melonite'd 18" barrel (I cant' tell you what kind cause I don't know. I was promised that it was top shelf by the people I got it from but they said it was kinda hush hush) and put a PWS FSC556 on it. And I matched the Adams Arms one piece Melonite carrier with a LMT Enhanced bolt. It all went together smooth and I am pleased to say that it went bang the first time and every time since. I recently completed a Acton Rifle match and 50% of the guns in my group malfunctioned at least once. But my frankengun functioned flawlessly. And I had little problem ringing steel plates at 200m using a Aimpoint M4s. Not bad for zeroing on a 50 yard range a few weeks before. I will hopefully get some better pictures up soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my DPMS AR-15.

I started with a no frills DPMS AP4. I then added: CAA G27 pistol grip (I had a CETME and I was used to the feel), YHM Phantom flash suppressor and flip up rear BUIS (heard they were good products).

Later I added: Magpul CTR stock (heard it was solid and I liked the look), YHM scope riser ( I was pleased with the other YHM stuff), Barska 3-9x42mm Illuminated Reticle scope (didn't have much money to spend), UTG RIS and Ergo foregrip( again, money issue), MI Quick detach front and rear sling swivel ( heard MI made heavy duty stuff), and a Badger Tactical Latch ( I didn't like the original, seemed awkward).

Since the new pic I've gotten a PMag and I just ordered a MOE pistol grip.
    I'd like to make it a rifle length in the future and add a flip up front sight either on the rail on on a gas block; still undecided.
    Last edited by Prophet911; 11 September 2009 at 01:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet911 View Post
    This is my DPMS AR-15.

Explanation on your layout choice?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This my 1st build .I finished it this week after a few months of building.Told everyone i spend my graduation money on college,guess not. Let me know what you think. Any future parts ideas? Upgrades?

Barrel: Noveske 16.1 in Stainless- Best barrel made, Long life, Stainless

Flash Hider: AAC SPR Black Out Miter Mount- Liked that it gave the illusion of a shorter barrel because it overlaps a couple inches.

Railed Forearm: Daniel Defense 12" LITE Rail- Love the bolt up system, and light weight, trying to make up for that heavy barrel

Upper Reciever: Black Rain Ordnance Stripped Upper- new company, but has really nice sharp edges, comparable to a MUR

Bolt Carrier Group: Spikes tactical

Sights: Magpul MBUS- mostly price, but also look good, and magpul polymer is ausome

Charging Handle: VLTOR/BCM Gunfighter- looks great, and very functional, saves on broken pins

Lower Reciever: POF Gen 1 Billet- billet, not integral trigger gaurd, flared magwell

LPK: Armalite- loved the trigger,high quality

Stock: Magpul UBR- weights a ton but, seems like a good combo of the emod and the ctr, good storage

Pistol Grip: Magpul MIAD- felt good, liked storage

Trigger Gaurd: Magpul MOE

Sling: Magpul MS2 FDE

Mags: All PMAGS
    Last edited by magpul_556; 10 September 2009 at 15:41.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Globemaster View Post
    [COLOR="White"]
    I built this Retro’ish carbine last year utilizing mostly 'used' parts along with a newly released Olympic Arms barrel and bolt in the .221R / 5.54x39mm chambering … the build pretty much came together in one afternoon; other than the final process of pinning and welding of the 5.5in flashhider
    That thing is just plain slick!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for the extra stuff in Pic but i'm at work and this is all i got ..lol..but here is a brief rundown

Purpose: it was my first build (range weapon , home defense) working on # 2 now

EA Shaw 16inch Stainless Bull barrel 1-9 twist ( Got it from a Friend for Cheap planning on switching entire upper for something lighter and use this barrel for a SPR sniper build )

A.R.M.S S.I.R Rail #50 system ( Mil Version) - ( Came with upper and barrel but its rock solid )

Primary ArmsM4 red dot ( It was affordable and I have read nothing but good things about their products, on a personal note I have grown to love this red dot super rugged and has NEVER lost zero )

Magpul M.I.A.D grip and trigger guard ( it offers adaptability for future configurations )

Tapco vertical fore grip ( I really only use this as a reference point and storage but it is rock solid no problems thus far )

Voltor Mod Stock & FDE Butt pad

Redi-Mag

Phase5Tactical EBRv2 (extended Bolt release) I have this and the Magpul B.A.D....I just like this unit better

Magpul ASAP sling plate & MS2 sling

(Internals)

RRA LPK

A "Bill Springfield" 3lb trigger job ( single stage)

Failzero BCG w/ Bravo Co Firing Pin

Spikes ST-T2 Buffer ( this thing is nice )

Sidearm is a Ruger p89 w/20 round clip

Chest rig : Voodoo Tactical

Magpul P Mags

Last edited by HERRON223; 1 October 2009 at 11:55.

Downloads
    Uploads

I call this carbine my “HD-Carbine”.

I’ve owned weapons with quad-rails, Aimpoints, EOTechs, various BUIS’s, ect, ect. Being old school…having served in the military before those types of accessories were even standard issue, I have to fall back on what I was originally trained on, and quite simply feel more comfortable operating. And that would be a basic carbine.

I feel for HD.... my needs, this weapon is perfect.

Weapon consists of:

- DPMS 16” Chrome-lined barrel with A1 FH.
    - Bushmaster A1/C7 upper receiver.
    - Rock River Arms lower receiver.
    - CAR hand guards with attached Weaver rail section.
    - Streamlight TLR-1 with Red Filter.
    - Midwest Ind. Side Sling Swivel
    - GI two-point sling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Colt 6933s seem to be cropping up more and more. These are hands-down the best of the best in my opinion. .625" diameter, 11.5" barrel, flattop upper with the correct front sight base. They ship with double-shield M4 handguards and a detachable carry handle, M4 stock, and A2 grip. I was lucky enough to find two back when they cost no more than a 6920 plus tax stamp. Some of you may recall my suppressed 6933 that people were so outraged had no sling or iron sights.

The first thing that has to go is the A2 grip. Yes you can install a gapper or a foam plug but that does nothing to address the obnoxious finger groove, which is the real problem with the stock grip. The stock is more than serviceable, but I like having a low-profile rubber pad. The double-shield handguards are good, but they are fat and if you want to attach anything to them it can be problematic or require drilling, and the handguard cap gets damn hot.

I elected to go with Magpul MOE furniture all around. Good guy pricing through Brownells is $17 for the grip, $48 for the stock (which comes integral with a rubber buttpad for slippage), and $25 for the handguard (which feels more like a FALK and covers the handguard cap in front). They sell a triggerguard for $7 too but I am using one of their metal triggerguards that I had left over from something else. If you're wondering about the colors, I use them to differntiate my rifles from each other at a glance in the safe. Black also gets hot in the sun. I have a green handguard to put on as soon as I'm done prototyping my sling and mount (more on that below). If I were doing it again I might do tan instead due to the heat issue.

Primary sighting is through an Aimpoint T-1 that currently sits in a Larue tall mount, but since I have little to no need to quick detach it I'll be swapping that for a Daniel Defense which is lighter and matches the rear sight which recently replaced a Larue as well for the same reasons. I prefer to use a higher optic mount and run fixed iron sights that I can see through the bottom of the optic if I need to for whatever reason. Commonly referred to at "lower 1/3 cowitness".

The sling is a Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling that I modified with a few parts to act like a much better version of the Magpul MS-2 to remedy most of the shortcomings of that product. It is easily capable of switching between a single- or a two-point sling depending on the need simply by moving the snap hook from the ring at the rear of the webbing to the ring on the forend. The rear attachment point is a Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point that replaces the receiver endplate and accepts the QD sling swivel. The front attachment is a dremeled-down Mesa Tactical Adapter Mount Hook Loop. I cut a slot in the handguard and drilled a hole further to the rear, and attached it through the back of the handguard, which also required cutting down the heat shield inside. None of which was anywhere near as difficult as it sounds.

The light is a Surefire X300 which mounts to a Midwest Industries MCTAR-04 on the front sight base. No, the mount does not come loose and with the way the screw is captured by the light itself if it ever were to back out with the light on it it can't be lost. Yes, the light "only" puts out 110 lumens and is designed as a pistol light, but this is an SBR not a long-range precision gun (even though it can easily hit out to 200 yards with a red dot sight).

The charging handle is a BCM Mod4 that Paul was nice enough to send me to try out. I absolutely love this CH and the only thing I'll be changing about it is to add some RTV for those rare times this gun takes a can (that's an Ops, Inc' 15th mount on the barrel).

Finally is the Magpul BAD Lever, which allows the shooter to operate the bolt catch with the trigger finger. Is it necessary? No. So right there it fails the test for a lot of shooters self-imposed restrictions. However it is very nice to have for administrative purposes and it does certainly shave time off of an emergency reload if you like that sort of thing or have the need. No, it does not require your finger to extend into the triggerguard to operate it.

The gun, without sling or light, is 6.5 lbs. Even with the light it is still under 7, and with the sling it is just over 7. This gives you a carbine that is every bit as capable as any full-railed, latest and greatest, billy badass gun. I have used this in matches and classes in one guise or another for several years, and used it in Randy Cain's Carbine class with an older Aimpoint to ring the 8" steel at 200 yards with XM193 (a feat the internet tells me is impossible, but there you go). I used it in Bill Jeans' carbine a few weeks ago almost exactly as it sits in these pictures and the complete setup ran fantastically, even with Wolf ammo.

This is what works for me as a non-LEO civilian hobby shooter that attends 2-4 training classes a year and runs and shoots in local monthly carbine matches and drills nights. I typically go through approximately 4k rounds a year +/- depending on number of classes attended. While I hate the term "general purpose rifle" because it usually means people don't know what they really want, this carbine really has achieved that through no set intention. I just find that when it comes time to reach in the safe and take a carbine out, the green one is the one that I grab most often. Yes, I lose some ballistic effectiveness using the short barrel, but with good ammo (I like Black Hills 75 grain) it is more than capable of having the desired effect at any range I'm likely to be able to defend in court.

This is the AR I didn't know I was looking for when I assembled my first one from a Bushmaster complete upper and lower in the midst of the ban 10+ years ago.

Parts list:

Aimpoint T-1
    Larue LT660 Mount
    Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight

Magpul MOE handguard
    Magpul MOE pistol grip
    Magpul MOE stock

Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling
    Mesa Tactical Adapter Mount Hook Loop
    Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point

Surefire X300
    Midwest Industries MCTAR-04

Magpul B.A.D.
    BCM MOD4 Charging Handle

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob, that is an interesting fwd sling attach point you have there. It's giving me ideas..........

Downloads
    Uploads

AR set up

Colt 6920 16" bbl. DD 12" inch rail, Bobro Aimpoint mount and VFG, Magpul backplate, sling & MBUS, crane stock, & Surefire X300 light. (Worked related block cover to going inside.) The Colt BCG has been enhanced for reliability with BCM parts. This Colt rocks and shoots well.