Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Buy once, cry once. that pretty much sums it up for me. I kinda messed up with my bolt gun and I'm not gonna do that again.
    If it means not getting a new "TOY" evey couple of years, then so be it. It will give me the opprtunity to
    get more familiar with the ones I have first.I did my homework and
    the Noveske offered everything I wanted: high quality.

Noveske N4 lower with stag LPK
    Magpul MIAD
    Magpul UBR
    EOTech 557
    Noveske N4 light 14.5" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, 1 in 7" twist, 5.56mm
    --Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining
    --Extended Feed Ramps
    --Mil Spec Phosphate finish
    --MP HP tested barrel
    --Carbine length gas system
    --Forged charging handle
    --Shot peened and MP tested bolt
    --Auto carrier group with properly staked carrier key
    --Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard
    --9" SWS railed handguard
    --Low-profile gas block pinned to barrel
    --Flip-up front and rear sights

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll play... Duty rifle
    I like high quality, good value, and cheap (although I don't mind paying for quality). I also like having my stuff be aesthetically pleasing.

Base Rifle: Colt 6920
    Great rifle with all the "right" things out of the box. Also required to be Colt or RRA by policy. I use Magpul windowed PMags with Ranger plates.

Suppressor: Surefire FA556AR
    I wanted a reflex style can and I found the SF model to be the best combo of aesthetics, length, weigh, and of course sound suppression. Not used on duty though. I needed to use a H2 buffer for the bolt to lock back on the last round when firing suppressed. I'm going to try a 9mm buffer in the future.

Rail and sights: Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite FSP + PRI Front Sight/Gas Block combo + PRI rear sight
    I wanted a long rail for maximum space. Having lots of placement options for support hand and accessories. The main reason for the FSP rail + PRI sight combo is because I bought the rail at a smashing deal and I already had the PRI sight laying around. I like the full circle hood of the front sight. I bought a PRI rear sight so the front and rear would "match".

Rail accessories: Surefire M600C + XT07, LaRue FUG
    Excellent weapon light. I put it in a Surefire M76 offset mount so that it is close to the rail and more "over" the barrel to minimize shadow. Tapeswitch on top rail allows for ambi activation as well as preventing accidental activations. I ziptied the cable to the rail covers to minimize the possibility of snagging. I'm thinking of adding a X300 to the 12 o'clock position as a backup light since I am using a tapeswitch. I like the way the FUG feels and even though I use the "reference point" hold, I changed the end plate to the medium plate to hold 2 spare batteries for the weaponlight.

Optic: Aimpoint T-1 in a LaRue LT660HK
    Featherweight optic. I leave it on setting "10" all the time. I found that this setting is bright enough to see during the day. In low-light, it blooms like crazy, but when I turn on my weaponlight, it goes back to normal. At any lower setting, the weaponlight would wash out the dot. I chose the HK height mount because it was the closest to an absolute co-witness that LT offered.

Sling and mounts: Gear Sector GS-2P + Daniel Defense Rear QD + Gear Sector GS-3040
    Jason gives LE discounts. The rear QD mount allows for transitioning shoulders easily. The Gear Sector front mount is extremely low-profile and does not interfere with my support hand. The sling mounts are at the front and rear of the receiver for a good combo of freedom of weapon manipulation and stability while slung.

Other stuff: Magpul CTR, Magpul MIAD, Magpul BAD, Blue Force Gear Redi-Mod, PRI M84 GasBuster
    I use the no hump frontstrap and smallest backstrap on my MIADs. I store a small bottle of Machinegunners Lube, a pair of foam earplugs, and a spare Aimpoint battery in the grip. Once again, I got a smashing deal for the Redi-Mod. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I have a spare mag available when I deploy the rifle. Since I use ranger plates, I can rip a magazine out of the rifle with the second mag in place. The BAD is a natural extension when using a Redi-Mod and it makes weapon manipulation much easier in general. Both the BAD and Redi-Mod needed some filing to work reliably (both were fighting for the same space in the trigger guard area. The GasBuster busts gas. The larger handle also makes weapon manipulation easier.

Last edited by beavo451; 18 November 2009 at 13:54.

Downloads
    Uploads

I try to keep my rifle basic for the most part. I am still experimenting on what my ideal setup is. I notice I always go back to a "clean" hand guard. I've put lights, lasers and VFGs on this rifle before but I always end up taking them off. I do enjoy my Redi-Mag a lot but I may DIY it to a Redi-Mod down the road.

It's a constant give and take. I have a few accessories to experiment with when I get back home. Expect an updated post soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a great thread.

I hope my photos did not ruin it...

My AA 6.5G upper was purchased earlier this year for $595 complete. No shots fired thru it by the previous owner. I also put a Badger Tac Latch on the CH. It attached to my Essential Arms "Dragon" Lower with zero fuss. I wanted it on my Essential because I did some trigger polishing on it. Not a 3lb JP or Timney or CMC, but a little better than factory. It will likely never be deployed as a HD weapon as I enjoy it on a bench.

The upper is a 19.5" Hunter with a rifle length gas system. In the future it may be replaced with a lo-profile gas block as I will never put a sight on a gas block.

The SOPMOD stock is supremely comfortable to shoot from. As Stick mentioned at the beginning, great cheek welds and battery storage. I can fall asleep on this stock :) I have no batteries in this one, but in one of the tubes I have a printout of ballistic information for the Grendel 19.5---so, I can make adjustments in the field if necessary. Right now, this gun is for game, not 2 leggeds.

My girlfriend surprised me about a month ago with the Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 scope. I found a 1pc mount at a store for what I feel is a reasonable $25. I know it's not a Larue or ADM, and I will have a one, but right now it serves purpose well. I forward mounted it to allow for proper eye relief, only because I have the additional rail space provided by the Troy MRF-R. Some people think I need a riser on it. In my experience the height is just fine for me. Benched or prone I have a great time shooting this expensively fed animal...

The pistol grip is an Ergo. I think most of you can tell this is fashioned nearly identically to an LMT SOPMOD lower. Well, since my first AR is my LMT SOPMOD Standard 5.56 I found it to perform extremely well, and fell in love with the stock and pistol grip. Unfortunately the gun as we know it is no longer---
    It has been stripped down and the 5.56 barrel, bolt, gas tube, block, FH and pins were sold recently. The upper, lower and CH are down in Alabama getting cerakoted. I have yet to find the 6.8 barrel that will be going on this weapon, but I am ready to get that build started.......
    "Ever notice the sound of a gun being charged is the universal language of dominance?"

Why I own a Grendel: "You don't shoot 6.5 bullets. You toss them in the air, they go downrange on their own."

There are no such things as problems. There are only opportunities for solutions. And I've arrived at a solution for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    LMT
    Bought as complete rifle direct from LMT back in 2005.

CQB - MRP 16" chrome lined barrel
    Standard collapsible stock, TD grip
    Larue/POF Iron sight combo. (Dept. only allows irons)
    Vickers sling
    Custom scout type light.

Great shooting little gun. Best AR investment I have made. Someday I hope to go SBR with her. Here are a couple pics.

There is a world of compliance, then there is my world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I tried taking a picture but all I had was my phone. So until my gf gets back in town to take a picture, you'll just have to settle for text.

Colt LE6920
    Magpul CTR
    Magpul MIAD (F4 front and B2 back)
    Magpul B.A.D.
    Magpul MOE Handguard
    Magpul MBUS Rear
    Magpul ASAP - Sling attachment plate
    Magpul MS2 - Sling
    Magpul Enhanced Butt-pad
    Magpul PMAGs (MagLevels)

Yup, this is basically a shrine to Magpul, I realize and accept that. This is my first AR, in fact, it's my first rifle and my 2nd firearm. I wanted to get a quality AR-15 and wasn't sure I could build one myself. After a bit of research I decided on the Colt LE6920 and 10 PMags.

My primary goal with this AR has been to keep it light and simple. The only other things I plan on getting are an Eotech, an AFG and maybe a flashlight. No quad-rails, no laser, no bi-pod, etc. I'm just a Linux admin, so I don't depend on this gun everyday. That's why I like the MS2, normally I keep it set as a two-point sling so if need be I can grab my AR, put it on my back and go. If the need ever arose (riots, zombie apocalypse, British collecting back taxes, etc), I could switch it over to single-point.

I'm tempted to remove the front sight and put on a railed gas block so I can use the MBUS front sight that I bought with the rear. I also need to stake the castle nut, but I'm not confident that I can stake it properly or that I've even put the plate in right. So for now it's in what I consider an unacceptable state because I'm a perfectionist.
    Don't mess with my network. Or Texas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by beavo451 View Post
    I'll play... Duty rifle
    I like high quality, good value, and cheap (although I don't mind paying for quality). I also like having my stuff be aesthetically pleasing.
    Nice pics Beavo......I like the addition of the "slippage marks" on your accessory hardware. I’ve done the same in the past with a black paint pen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since originally posting in this thread I just added a Magpul AFG and BAD

I am very impressed that Magpul keeps produces such well thought out and effective quality products.

Last edited by Cameron; 21 January 2010 at 21:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey all first post here at WE.com, I won't pollute the board with my bio. You guys can check my profile for that, anyways here's two builds from my post-deployment Christmas leave. I made a few changes after taking this photo, but nothing too drastic.

1st rifle: SBR. I built this as my first truly custom project built from the ground up. I'd never installed an LPK in an AR lower before and wasn't even sure if I could do it. 7 pages of internet instructions later and the biggest hurdle conquered the rest was all down hill. My inspiration for this project was a full tactical rifle with practical application and the ability to actively modify (Eotech x3 magnifier), relatively light weight, and be aesthetically pleasing to the eye and ear (at least to the shooters on my left and right.)

TM15 lower
    DPMS LPK
    MIAD
    CTR
    BAD Lever
    CMT bolt group
    Badger Ord. charging handle
    VLTOR MUR
    Noveske 12.5" Crusader bbl w/ VLTOR LPGB
    Noveske pig
    Troy flip ups
    Troy MRF-MX
    Magpul ASAP
    VTAC Lula
    Bobro VFG
    VTAC light mount
    Surefire G2
    Eotech 551

2nd rifle:

This was a bit of a revamp of a previous rifle I'd customized. It was originally a stock HSA-15 Carbine. I retained the lower/upper and barrel, everything else was basically added from there. The idea for this one is an intermediate length rifle I can use for medium range targets, and varmint hunting. It's surprisingly light considering barrel length and the rail platform I mounted on it.

HSA-15 carbine w/ 16" bbl
    Troy midieval flash hider
    MIAD
    VLTOR clubfoot modstock
    Troy flip ups
    Brownell's bipod adapter
    Harris bipod
    Troy 13.8" MRF-RX
    Surefire 6 volt weapon light (this actually came from my rifle in Iraq)

Further mods were made after I went to the gun show at the KS Coliseum the weekend of the 2nd-3rd of January. Osprey 2.5-10x40 scope, Larue SPR mount, and I have a Magpul PRS sitting in my parts box waiting to be installed. Eventually I'd like to fit a Noveske SPR barrel to it but that's another paycheck.

Again it's good to be here, hopefully I'll be able to share more projects here in the future.

~Rob
    Sunshine and lollipops make Rob's world go round and round like a yellow submarine.

~ Eddie

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice setups, is there a reason you went with those parts, or built up that configuration?

Welcome to the board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as the SBR goes, I went with a 12.5" bbl because it was a good intermediate length between 10.5" (which is too short imo) and 14.5".

I used an Aimpoint throughout my deployment and realized I couldn't keep both eyes open when shooting. It might just be my eyes but reflexive shooting feels more comfortable with an Eotech.

I've fed Hornady 77gr TAP ammo through it before with good results. It was kind of a crap shoot whether or not it'd be able to perform at longer ranges, considering I'd never worked with anything below 14.5", but I was able to wring out a 3/4" group at a hundred yards from a bench rest.

In the end if need be, I think I've built a decent self defense rifle.
    Sunshine and lollipops make Rob's world go round and round like a yellow submarine.

~ Eddie

Downloads
    Uploads

My Rifle

Hey guys, here are the specs and picture of my rifle.

Noveske 16.1" Recce low profile upper
    Noveske Lower with geissele ssa trigger
    Troy Flip up sights
    Aimpoint Comp M4S Optic
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Troy VFG
    Magpul AFG (testing it out atm)
    Viking Tactics L4 Light with mount
    Magpul MS2 Sling
    Magpul ACS stock (love it)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pic is not showing.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Pic is not showing.......
    Hopefully it's working now. I chose this setup because I wanted an excellent all around rifle. I went with the ACS stock because of cheek placement and performance. The MIAD grips in my mind are a must simply because you can customize it to suite you. The Troy VFG is awesome simply because I'm not a fan of plastic and i like the water proof chamber it has. I went with the COMP M4S due to its battery life, durability and performance. The Magpul MS2 Sling is an awesome sling in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to go now...pic is up!

Welcome to WEVO.