Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve thoroughly convinced myself that I’m going to hunt with my 6.8SPC this coming 2010 Deer Season

68spc.FAQ

my Olympic Arms™ 6.8SPC®

Upper: Olympic Arms® A3
    Charging Handel: Olympic Arms®
    BCG: Olympic Arms®
    Barrel: Olympic Arms™ 16in. M4 contour.
    Front sight: YHM® Model 9394™
    Chambering: 6.8SPC
    Bore: SS Button cut, long-life non-chromed.
    Twist rate: 1:10
    Muzzle: A2 flash suppressor.
    Handguard: Hogue® Free Float w/ OverMold™
    BUIS: Rear YHM® Model 9680™
    Scope Mount: Model 1 Sales®
    Optics: 6.5-20x50mm Simmons® Whitetail Classic™

Lower: Mega Machine Shop™ Gator®
    LPK: DPMS®
    Trigger Guard: Magpul® Winter™
    Stock: Magpul® CTR™
    Buffer: Olympic Arms®.
    Buffer Spring: David Tubb’s® CS Flat Wire™
    Grip: CAA® G27™
    Magazine: C/Products® 6.8SPC™ (20 round).

Sling: Homemade® by GM™

I recently changed out the CTR™ for an ACS™ because of the longer L.O.P.

The Nonsense Stops! … when the Hammer Drops!

Downloads
    Uploads
    my Olympic Arms™ 5.56 Pistol

Upper: used DPMS® A3
    Charging Handel: used DPMS®
    BCG: used RRA®
    Barrel: Olympic Arms™ 11.5in
    Front sight: Elevation adjustable post, w/ bayonet lug
    Chambering: 5.56 NATO
    Bore: Button cut w/ Durachrome® lining.
    Twist rate: 1:7
    Muzzle: Noveske® KX3™
    Handguard: Magpul® M.O.E. ™
    BUIS: Rear Magpul® MBUS™
    Optics: Barska® 50mm Red-Dot Scope

Lower: blemished Olympic Arms™
    LPK: Oly-Arms™
    Stock: used RRA® buffer tube
    Buffer: used Enidine® Hydraulic Buffer
    Grip: Stark® SE-1™
    End Plate: CQD® ambidextrous sling mount.
    Sling: single-point / Homemade® by GM™

I recently picked up a ‘lightly used’ AR15 pistol grip the other day; "the Stark® SE-1™" and IMO, the grip is an ascetically attractive (pretty cool looking) ergonomically designed, and quite a comfortable grip at that, and unlike the other aftermarket grips that I have used; i.e. Hogue® OM™, Magpul® MAID™, CAA® G27™ and as you can see from the images below, when this Stark® SE-1™ grip mounts, it fully covers the aft trigger guard ears of the lower receiver when installed.

The grip originally comes fitted with a slotted screw fastener for locking down the incorporated trigger guard; so beings that I dislike slotted screws, I quickly headed over to the local hardware store, ‘Tacoma Screw Products, Inc’ and picked up an allen-wrench replacement fastener; as this is a much cleaner, and much more secure mounting fastener.

The Nonsense Stops! … when the Hammer Drops!

Downloads
    Uploads

My One and Only - LMT 16" Piston MRP

This is my one and only AR. This rifle came about for couple of reason. One, is for range practice and two, training courses. The origin was consists of 14.5" LMT upper with 7" Larue hand-guard. Lower is LMT Defender 2000 with LEO marking. This was an AR project build so the lower came stripped, but upper came complete.

Upper - Recently I have acquired a new LMT 16" piston upper. The reason I chose this piston upper b/c of its new technology for AR. Also, because of the MRP, this allows me to mount more than one optics. This piston upper will allow me to shoot more rounds with less cleaning time. This piston system has only one gas setting, this means I don't have to mess with more or less gas regulations. Whereas other systems have more settings to mess with. Finally, not only the MRP looks great, but also will match up with my lower perfectly.

Lower - Lower is LMT Defender2000 with LMT 2-stage trigger group. I picked with this lower since it was only one available at the time of purchase. Also, LMT is a reputable brand among ARs.

Flash Hider - On the front, the Vortex Smith is the flash hider. This is my choice b/c it reduces flash almost 100%, and the looks match up great to the rifle overall.

Front/Rear Sights - Troy is what I picked. Both front and rear sights low profile allow the sights sit nicely on the rail when folded. Also, I love the adjustment knobs integrated within the sight. No knob hanging out.

Light - I had Surefire 900A/Larue mounted on the weapon. Although this might be bright and easy to handle, but the weight is not ideal for holding in the shooting position for along time. I recently swapped this light out with M951X07.

Optics - Both optics are Aimpoint. Front is the red dot model Comp4Ms 2MOA, and rear is magnifier 3X. Both sit on Larue mounts. Reason for Aimpoint is that not only the battery life is amazing, but also the idea of match up with magnifier as a combo nicely.

Mounts - Larue is the mount of choice because these mounts works great. They secure tight and easy to make adjustment. No to mention they are 100% customer service oriented.

Grip - Magpul is the choice. I have used number of different brands, but the style and size of Magpul seem to fit better on my hand.

Stock - I picked Magpul ACS. I opt-out LMT SOPMOD and pick ACS because this allows me to store more batteries and other accessories. Also, my chick sits on ACS higher.

Trigger - Originally it has a LMT 2-stage trigger which works great. Recently switch out to Geissele SSA. This trigger is amazing. Solid trigger set, no play and trigger pull is smooth.

Sling - VTAC sling is my choice. This allows me to make adjustment much quicker than other system. The padded is easy on the shoulder. I had made adjustment to my liking with jumper cord borrowed from other slings.

QD Single Sling - Daniel Defense is my pick because it sits close to the lower and replace the original end plate. Also, allows me to use push quick release button. This let me attach/detach as quickly as possible.

Before:

After:

VTAC Padded Sling on DD single mount:

Surefire M951 with Bugout Gear LED Cree R2 Drop-In Module:

DD single QD sling swivel mount with homemade staking:

Enhanced Magpul Butt Stock:

Aimpoint:

Magpul Grip with homemade wrap around:
    Last edited by knguye11; 26 February 2010 at 15:43.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine's nothing too fancy. I mated a Stag M4 upper with a Rock River lower. The stock and grip are Magpul MOE. I really like the Magpul Moe stock, and my only gripe is that there is no place to attach a side swivel.

I just upgraded the rail to an MI 2 piece free float. I love it. Rock solid and economical. It is a bit chunky, but I don't mind it at all. The gas block was replaced with a Yankee Hill hooded folding sight by the great folks at Del-Ton.

The BUIS is Troy and the current optic is a Millett DSM-1 with a LaRue mount. The Millett has a decent 1x -4x magnification and a battery illuminated reticle. Jury's still out with me about this set up. It's nice and solid, but the battery life is poor. Plus the optic is heavy, the scope and mount add neary 2 lbs to the rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The subject of this post is my personally owned carbine. I also have a Dept. issued carbine which is a Colt M-4 with quite a few more additions than I would prefer. My personal gun is set up to be a bit more simple.

I originally bought this during the ban, with a letter from the chief of the depatment I was working for at the time with the intent of using it as my patrol rifle. I bought a Bushmaster long before resources such as this and other sites were really available. That being said, the bushy in it's original configuration served me well. I then attended several carbine courses, includng an instructors course and found several good educational sites on the net and learned my bushy had some less than desirable features. I decided to upgrade my carbine. The department I work for now will not give letters, so under California law I am stuck with the Bushmaster lower (not that it's really a big deal. So after some research I set about upgrading this carbine to be used in the home protection role.

Lower: Bushmaster with mil spec receiver tube and H buffer.

Upper: Colt M-4 with 14.5" Colt M-4 1/7 twist barrel pinned to 16" with a YHM break wich is verry loud, but does a great job of eliminating what little recoil is there. The upper also houses a BCM bolt carrier group.

Optic: Aimpoint Comp M4 on Aimpoint QRP mount. I love this optic for it's durability, battery life and use of the AA battery. BUIS is a GG&G MAD which is the same as on my Dept. issue gun and I like it's same plane design.

Light: Sure Fire X200 (which will be changed out for an X300 at some point) mounted to a Midwest Industries front sight base mount.

Furniture: Magpul ACS stock, mainly for the cheek weld and secondly for the battery storage. Tango Down battle grip because I like the storage compartment better than the Magpul MAID or MOE. MOE hand gaurd, as it is tough, light and looks good. I don't need a rail on my HD gun (don't really need one on my work gun either for that matter but it's there). And a Magpul ASAP plate with MS2 sling. The only other things I plan to add are a front attachment point of some kind for the MS2 sling and I might change out the QRP mount for a Larue.

Mags: Pmag's for home deffense and I have a mix of USGI and US made thermold that I beat on at the range.

How do you guys think I did in "upgrading" my Bushmaster to a reliable hard use carbine?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a LWRC M6A3 with a few minor changes, and some additions yet to be determined. Removed the MIAD grip, and replaced it with a HK416 grip- by far the best feeling grip I have wrapped my right hand around. Removed the LWRC OEM rail panels (I think they were ProMag), and replaced them with the Troy panels- damn comfortable. The EMOD is now gone, and believe it of not, the Choate M4 stock is more solid IMO. The Choate looks a little like a SOPMOD, but is heavier, and has metal in it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Daniel Defense Recon Rifle
    Daniel Defense complete upper 7" twist LW50 16" barrel 5.56 Wylde chamber
    LMT 2 stage lower
    Leupold MK4 1.5-5x20mm illuminated SPR
    Magpul UBR / MIAD / AFG / BAD / XTM

Colt General Purpose Carbine
    Colt HBAR 16" barrel 5.56NATO chamber
    LMT 2 stage lower
    EOTech 552
    Magpul UBR / MOE / AFG / BAD / XTM

LMT Close Quarter Carbine
    LMT complete upper 10.5" barrel 5.56NATO chamber
    LMT lower
    EOTech XPS
    Magpul UBR / MIAD / AFG / BAD / XTM
    Last edited by Cameron; 1 February 2010 at 15:35.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice as always Cameron. Nicely thought out pair of rifles. Nice work on the stipling on the AFG's. I need to do mine, but have never stipled before...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had never stippled anything before either. I just bought a $17 soldering iron at Lowes and gave it a go. I tested it on the unused pieces of a MIAD grip and then started on one. Small light marks close together gave the best feel IMHO.

Cameron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I had never stippled anything before either. I just bought a $17 soldering iron at Lowes and gave it a go. I tested it on the unused pieces of a MIAD grip and then started on one. Small light marks close together gave the best feel IMHO.

Cameron
    Thanks for the tip... It sounds like less, is more...

Downloads
    Uploads
    My training carbine:
    LMT MRP
    Troy rear
    SOPMOD
    BAD
    T1 in a LT660
    Vickers padded sling
    AFG
    XT rail covers

I tried to keep it pretty simple on this rifle for training purposes. The BAD is as "hi tech" as I get personally. That said I have found it to be a great piece of kit. The rifle has yet to let me down. I keep it wet and run it hard... The only thing I need to do is replace the screw that holds the front sight on. I also really like the feel, extension and control that the AFG adds...

My KISS rifle:

Colt 6940
    Matech
    Vltor EMOD
    MOE grip
    TD rail covers
    Vickers padded sling
    LT Stubby VFG

I use this rifle these days for staying sharp with irons and basic weapon manipulations... The accuracy of this rifle surprises me every time I pull the trigger. I have found it to be a good bit more accurate than my 6920 FWIW.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice rifles Cameron. I like how you set them up. Seems like each one is consistent in feel (stock, grip, AFG, panels).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll play.

I'm in the middle of a new build.

My old was a late A1, 20" HBAR - PWA/Oly. I put an A1 stock on it, Troy rail, Stark SE-1, and cut the barrel down to 17.5". After shooting it a bit and realizing that I could build a better rifle for less than I could sell that one for, I'm selling it in parts to fund a new one (preban).

Lower: Stag

Upper: SI billet upper (given as a replacement for an out of spec forged, I don't believe in billet)

Barrel: ADCO custom Cruiser barrel as soon as they come back in stock, Middy, rifle length sights, 4150 chromoly vandium, 1/8 twist.

Stock: MOE. I don't spend enough time behind it to justify an expensive UBR, but the MOE seems to be of better quality and a cleaner design than the M4 mil stock.

Grip: keeping the Stark. I freaking love this grip. Everything about it is great. The low angle makes it easier to contract the stock and pull the gun in close without twisting your wrist.

Optic: PA Micro. I just wanted a budget optic that was durable enough for home and range use.

Old:

New.... Forgot about it
    Since the pictures were taken, I've removed the side rail on the upper. I don't have a use for it.

Last edited by iamjonscranium; 7 February 2010 at 12:48.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This rifle is waiting on a AFG and I am putting one of my T1's on it to keep it as light as possible. I initially was going to use it as a variable steel gun, but I have decided to build one using my Colt A2 HBAR as a base instead.... I have decided to use it as a training rifle instead and my goal is to keep it as light as possible.

The AFG helps mitigate the slight front heavy feel of a piston rifle very nicely. With the angle it really allows a very locked in shooting position IMHO.

I really like the one piece BCG on this rifle.

Here is the temp setup:

LWRCI M6 A3 MRE

SOPMOD
    CQT in a LT mount
    Harris 6-9 in a LT mount
    XTM rail panels
    MIAD

BCG:

Piston: You can see the gas adjustment knob at the front.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I'm a new member here, so I should probably add mine to the mix. I'm not brand new to AR-15's, but I tend to buy one, decide it not what I want, and when I realize that I can't afford what I want, I sell it off, only to return at a later point. To that point, I spent significant amount of time thinking over each individual component, so that I wouldn't have any regrets.

Purpose: Dead nuts reliable, general purpose carbine, with a focus on mid-range capability.

Budget: $1,500 (spent $1,325)

Upper: The only component that I knew 100% from the start I would get, was a BCM 16" mid-length upper. I've had these before, and regretted not having it anymore. Time to correct that.

Lower: The specific make wasn't that critical, as long as it was in spec. I was debating between LMT & BCM, and ended up with a GTS (Denny's). I just wanted everything in spec, and a single-stage trigger.

Bolt Carrier Grouip I had decided on getting the BCM, with the LMT being my second choice. Ended up with the LMT.

Stock I was debating between several ones out there: CTR, E-MOD, ACS, and the standard M4 stock. Ended up with the E-Mod, which seems to balance well on this rifle.

Handguard: Once again, I was debating due to budgetary restrictions on getting a railed forend, or just keeping standard plastic handguards. I ended up with the Omega 9" rail, which so far I am liking very much.

Sights: Initial plan was to get either the Troy flip ups, or the MBUS. Ended up with the MBUS.

As you can see, I only had a few decisions made, and was flip-flopping on others, mainly due to budgetary reasons. Fortunately, that issue was solved when I found on TOS's EE a unfired carbine that not only met my specs, but also forced a few of the decisions for me.

The really good news is that it saved me a bit of cash, so I was able to start considering adding some optics. I already had a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with M1 turrets, so I just needed to figure out my mounting choices.

Here's how it started at that point, with the scope I was considering having mounted on top:

I quickly decided that the VXII was a poor fit for this carbine, so I sold it (and the hunting rifle it was normally mounted on) to help fund my optics.

Optics, Magazines, Sling, Accessories & Ammo

Budget: $1,200

Since I abandoned the earlier idea I had for optics, this was the major decision. I went back and forth between aimpoints and eotechs, but wasn't really happy with either one. I decided on an ACOG in the end, for a few reasons:

1. I have additional tools for home defense, so if the ACOG didn't allow me good close quarter capability, I could instead keep my shotgun as my primary (it's role for the last 13+ years).

2. Almost a decade as a sports photographer, I've got significant experience with keeping one eye in a magnified optic, and the other eye open, so the BAC works very well for me, and so far, I am finding that the ACOG is actually faster close in for me than the iron, er, plastic sights.

3. I wanted to have magnified optics, and some sort of BDC capability.

I decided on the TA-33 with the green horseshoe reticle. I'm liking this reticle much better than the red chevron I had tried previously.

Sling Choice was between the VTAC and the Mag-Pul MS2, with the real choice being 2-point, or 1-point. I decided on the VTAC, as felt that a 2-point would be more suitable for a GP carbine. I am actually reconsidering this, and may end up with a different sling at a later point. I like this sling for a few things so far; it allows me to tighten up for a bit more support, but I don't like transitions to my opposite shoulder, although I may just need more practice.

Grip Choice was between the Ergo & the MOE, although I considered the MIAD. Previous carbine had an Ergo grip on it, and every time I picked it up, I noticed how great it felt. Decided to try the MOE, and I am glad I did. I don't notice how well it feels, I actually don't notice it anymore. It's just there.

Magazines Carbine came with two Lancers and one USGI, but I really prefer the PMAGs, so I picked up 8 30-rounders, and 2 20-rounders.

So the current configuration, which I am pretty happy with looks like this (excuse the clean, unscratched finish, this is before the first range trip):

Last edited by friendlyfireisnt; 7 February 2010 at 16:04.