Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great writeup, its a shame you are a Nikon shooter,

Welcome to the board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfireisnt View Post

Sling Choice was between the VTAC and the Mag-Pul MS2, with the real choice being 2-point, or 1-point. I decided on the VTAC, as felt that a 2-point would be more suitable for a GP carbine. I am actually reconsidering this, and may end up with a different sling at a later point. I like this sling for a few things so far; it allows me to tighten up for a bit more support, but I don't like transitions to my opposite shoulder, although I may just need more practice.
    The padded VTAC is,so far, the best multi-purpose sling I have used. The difficulties you mention with transitions to your support shoulder can be alleviated by mounting the sling at the rear of the receiver rather than at the end of the stock. There are a variety of options on how to do that, including receiver plates, but I use the Tango Down PR-4 sling mount that mounts directly to the buffer tube. That way it is not a permanent attachment and allows me to move the set up to another rifle if necessary. This is particularly useful for people who have issued weapons that cannot be modified.

I also mount the front of the sling near the rear of the rail, closer to the receiver. This helps prevent the sling from interfering with my support hand when driving the gun.
    "Of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there; Eighty are nothing but targets; Nine are real fighters….We are lucky to have them….They make the battle. Ah; but One; One of them is a Warrior….And he will bring the others back." * Source: Heraclitus (Circa 500 B.C.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Michael,

I can see why mounting at the receiver end plate would make transitions easier, and that's definitely in the plans, once I free up a bit more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Great writeup, its a shame you are a Nikon shooter,

Welcome to the board.
    Make that a former-Canon shooter, current Nikon shooter.

Seems to work for me. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/...bcce163d_o.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I'm a new member here, so I should probably add mine to the mix. I'm not brand new to AR-15's, but I tend to buy one, decide it not what I want, and when I realize that I can't afford what I want, I sell it off, only to return at a later point. To that point, I spent significant amount of time thinking over each individual component, so that I wouldn't have any regrets.

Purpose: Dead nuts reliable, general purpose carbine, with a focus on mid-range capability.

Budget: $1,500 (spent $1,325)

Upper: The only component that I knew 100% from the start I would get, was a BCM 16" mid-length upper. I've had these before, and regretted not having it anymore. Time to correct that.

Lower: The specific make wasn't that critical, as long as it was in spec. I was debating between LMT & BCM, and ended up with a GTS (Denny's). I just wanted everything in spec, and a single-stage trigger.

Bolt Carrier Grouip I had decided on getting the BCM, with the LMT being my second choice. Ended up with the LMT.

Stock I was debating between several ones out there: CTR, E-MOD, ACS, and the standard M4 stock. Ended up with the E-Mod, which seems to balance well on this rifle.

Handguard: Once again, I was debating due to budgetary restrictions on getting a railed forend, or just keeping standard plastic handguards. I ended up with the Omega 9" rail, which so far I am liking very much.

Sights: Initial plan was to get either the Troy flip ups, or the MBUS. Ended up with the MBUS.

As you can see, I only had a few decisions made, and was flip-flopping on others, mainly due to budgetary reasons. Fortunately, that issue was solved when I found on TOS's EE a unfired carbine that not only met my specs, but also forced a few of the decisions for me.

The really good news is that it saved me a bit of cash, so I was able to start considering adding some optics. I already had a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with M1 turrets, so I just needed to figure out my mounting choices.

Here's how it started at that point, with the scope I was considering having mounted on top:

I quickly decided that the VXII was a poor fit for this carbine, so I sold it (and the hunting rifle it was normally mounted on) to help fund my optics.

Optics, Magazines, Sling, Accessories & Ammo

Budget: $1,200

Since I abandoned the earlier idea I had for optics, this was the major decision. I went back and forth between aimpoints and eotechs, but wasn't really happy with either one. I decided on an ACOG in the end, for a few reasons:

1. I have additional tools for home defense, so if the ACOG didn't allow me good close quarter capability, I could instead keep my shotgun as my primary (it's role for the last 13+ years).

2. Almost a decade as a sports photographer, I've got significant experience with keeping one eye in a magnified optic, and the other eye open, so the BAC works very well for me, and so far, I am finding that the ACOG is actually faster close in for me than the iron, er, plastic sights.

3. I wanted to have magnified optics, and some sort of BDC capability.

I decided on the TA-33 with the green horseshoe reticle. I'm liking this reticle much better than the red chevron I had tried previously.

Sling Choice was between the VTAC and the Mag-Pul MS2, with the real choice being 2-point, or 1-point. I decided on the VTAC, as felt that a 2-point would be more suitable for a GP carbine. I am actually reconsidering this, and may end up with a different sling at a later point. I like this sling for a few things so far; it allows me to tighten up for a bit more support, but I don't like transitions to my opposite shoulder, although I may just need more practice.

Grip Choice was between the Ergo & the MOE, although I considered the MIAD. Previous carbine had an Ergo grip on it, and every time I picked it up, I noticed how great it felt. Decided to try the MOE, and I am glad I did. I don't notice how well it feels, I actually don't notice it anymore. It's just there.

Magazines Carbine came with two Lancers and one USGI, but I really prefer the PMAGs, so I picked up 8 30-rounders, and 2 20-rounders.

So the current configuration, which I am pretty happy with looks like this (excuse the clean, unscratched finish, this is before the first range trip):

I think I recognize that floor from another forum...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjonscranium View Post
    I think I recognize that floor from another forum...
    Only if there was either this rifle, or the one I sold off to fund the ACOG sitting on the floor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Michael,

I can see why mounting at the receiver end plate would make transitions easier, and that's definitely in the plans, once I free up a bit more cash.

The Noveske QD endplate and Magpul ASAP are both worth looking at for 360 degree mobility.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, to begin with this is my "all-around" AR....or what I intended it to be. Of course we all know that the longer you are into this sort of thing, each rifle eventually morphs into something that fills a specific niche.

ACS- love the cheek-weld, storage, handnotch in case I need more accuracy in the prone or sitting position.

10" Rail- needed more real estate and so this was how I went. Ended up taking down an old A2 FSP instead of buying a gas block. PERFECT length for the use this rifle sees.

Troy F/R back ups- pretty self explanatory...solid as can be

X300- In conjunction with the handstop I use and grip I utilize, thumb activation is perfect. On top the rifle stays streamlined. When the rifle is slung in the front or rear there's not as much "stuff" to get caught on things. And nope, doesn't even show up through the acog.

TA33R-H- I've been very familiar with TA31's for quite sometime, but really didn't know what I was missing until I tried the TA33 series. Eye-relief is much more forgiving than other series. Lightweight. Horseshoe reticle is easier for me to rapidly acquire than the chevron and I feel just as accurate with it.

TD QD Stubby- I use a hybrid grip, so in conjunction with a handstop a vertical grip is nice and in a pinch if you need a makeshift bipod, it works. Storage may come in handy at some point.

My idea for this weapon was to be something that would be somewhat of a jack-of-all-trades. So far its worked just as I intended it. Only thing it could possibly use at some point is a small RDS on an angle mount.

Here's a parts list in case anyone is interested in specifics:
    -ACS Stock
    -LaRue milspec buffer tube (ACS locks up nice and tight, it didn't on previous tubes)
    -Gunfighter Mod4 Charging handle
    -BCM bolt carrier group
    -TA33R-H acog with LaRue mount
    -LaRue 10" rail
    -Homemade gas block from A2 FSP
    -AAC 18-tooth QD mount FH
    -16" chromoly Shaw barrel
    -Noveske lower receiver
    -Cerro forge upper (not sure of actual manufacturer....but its in specs and works)
    -Troy front and rear flip-up sights
    -Moe Grip
    -Magpul trigger guard
    -TD QD Stubby vfg
    -KNS Pins
    -DPMS lower parts kit

I'll post up my SBR at some point and go through it as well.
    Last edited by devilpig; 14 February 2010 at 02:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Close In Carbine

This carbine is configured in a way that I've been using for awhile now. The concept behind this carbine is for a weapon that fills the general purpose role, but could do specialty work for close in support, building clearing, or vehicle work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Up top we see the newest of the KAC Micro Sights. This BUIS is solid, and highly functional in that it allows for elevation adjustments. Its KAC quality, but priced pretty good. IIRC, its only a bit more than Troy BUISs.

Next we can see the BCM "Gunfighter" Charging Handle. The more I use this CH, the more I like it. You can check out the review that I wrote up for Military Times for more information.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...arging-handle/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Up on the flattop we can see the Aimpoint T-1 in a KAC mount. The optic battery life is good enough that its left on all the time, and I'll replace the battery every 3 or 4 years whether it needs it or not. The KAC mount is rock solid, and gives multiple heights for your own particular variant of co-witness or rail height.

Check out the Military Times KAC Mount writeup below for more info on that topic.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...17/kac-mounts/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its a M16, so I dropped in the Geiselle SSF trigger. The special best of special teams in both military and law enforcement are using the trigger in their M16 * 416 variants. Its simply fantastic, and while not a light trigger, its very clean and high on the durability side.

The pistol grip is a MIAD, mainly because it fits my hands better than anything else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) is from Fail Zero. Once upon a time, I thought the product was a gimmick, but I was shown to be wrong on that guess. I've been using one of these in a training mule since the Fail Zero BCGs first came out, and its been nothing less than impressive.

The FA version shown here is getting used for some upcoming testing, and I'll update more on that once it gets to a point where I can do a full writeup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shown below is the Magpul CTR with its extended stock pad, I've used everything else out there, and the CTR continues to be a favorite. The light weight and feel are just about perfect for me.

Also shown is the rear sling mount, which is the Noveske QD end plate, which not only seems proper on the Noveske lower, but also is one of the easiest and useful sling mounts I've used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The front end is setup with a KAC Triple Tap brake on the front. While some will argue that use of a brake as opposed to a Flash Suppressor (FS), no one who has used a TTB is going to think it doesn't do its job. Its louder than an A2 FS, but keeps rounds on target like no ones business.

The rail is a KAC URX, which is tight, sleek, and light weight. The integrated front sight lowers to be flush with the top of the rail. The QD points towards the rear of the rail make for great mounting points, and I think almost everyone is running their sling towards the rear of the rail currently.

There are loads of great lights out on the market, but the Gear Sector light mount is a mount that stands out on its own. Allowing for more mounting positions than I could ever need, this one is shown off the top rail. Yes, the image is show upside down, but I shot it that way and am happy with the way it looks.

You may also notice the Gear Sector hand stop. This low profile stop works well for my style of shooting. I use it as an index point, but it functions fully as a standard hand stop for those who need a bit to pull or push on.

KAC rail panels round it out, I used those mainly because they are simple and work well. I like a panel that actually protects the rail, not just small portions. If the rail is protected from impact, my hands are protected from a hot rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My carbine with the newly installed Aimpoint, ADM mount and Magpul MBUS.