Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Olympic GI

Well this is my first AR. I was originally going to get the Smith M&P MOE edition but I decided to go with the Oly and put my own MOE accessories on it. Saved me 3 to 4 hundred bucks. I like the flat dark earth color and the MOE products fit the budget for my first AR. The optic, laser and light are cheap, but, then again I'm not using them in extreme situations. They work well for plinking. I got the dot sighted in today next I have to work on the laser. Plenty of mags too. I need a few P-Mags with the windows now.

Other side view.

Now I have to decide what to do next. Build one from the ground up, maybe with the 5.7 upper and some nicer aftermarket parts. Or maybe purchase the Stag 8L because I'm a lefty. I like the idea of a piston driven AR. I don't know if it's worth all the hype though. Let me know what you guys think!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot to mention I'm trying to get that Phantom flash hider on it and am waiting on my tac sling and sling mount. Once I get those this will be complete.

Downloads
    Uploads
    New on the site, actually just registered to post in this thread.

Its a 12.7" A2 Carbine Length on a LWRC lower (Registered).

I chose the 12.7" as a good compromise in length and velocity. So far I have been very happy with it.

Its got the 1 piece carrier and ACB.

Here are the other specs.

Geiselle SSA - I prefer a 2 Stage, and in a fighting weapon, I dont think there is another choice.
    Magpul ASAP - I use the MS-2, so its a natural choice. I dont like the pelican hook on the MS-2, but that will change.
    Magpul BAD - Makes weapon manipulation easier, especially with the redi-mag.
    Magpul CTR With Decel Pad - Light and short. Decel pad helps for shooting alot.
    Magpul AFG - Works perfectly with my light setup. Comfortable and effective.
    CQD Forward Mount - Best Mount I have found for the forward mount on the MS-2
    Modified Redi-Mag - I like having another mag on the weapon. Only adds a few ounces by itself and stays out of the way.
    BCM Gunfighter - Easier to use than a standard or combat latch. Stronger and more effective.
    Ambi Safety - I did'nt like putting it on safey without it while shooting from support side.
    Troy BUIS - Came with the A2, will probably switch to MBUS when the lower profile version is available.
    Aimpoint T-1 on Larue 660HK - I like a lower cheek weld, and the T-1 is light and almost as fast as the M4
    VLTOR Offset Light Mount - Holds the light closer to the rail on both axis. I swapped a Larue for this.
    JetBeam RRT-2 Light - $100 bucks, several modes, built well. Beats surefire anyday in my book.
    AAC SPR/M4 Flash Hider / Mount - Required for my suppressor. - Switching this for either the Brakeout or a custom soon.
    AAC SPR/M4 Suppressor - Reflex design, mates well with the 12.7.
    Tub Flatwire Spring - Longer life, was trying to increase dwell time. Not sure if it made a difference.
    Spikes T-2 Buffer - Same as above, was trying to decrease blowback when using the can. Not sure if it helped either.

I have a few thousand rounds through it, and so far am very happy. I run nothing but Silver Bear 62g. Im not HSLD, just built it as a SHTF / Home defense / training gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    goteron,

Good pictures and good writeup.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Explain your AR15 Layout

When planning this AR on Paper I had the following purpose(s) in mind:

Home Defense
    Post Disaster SHTF Rifle
    Training

The Upper I went for is a Noveske Light Reece Basic 16” mid-length with an AAC Blackout 51T flash hider attached. The Barrel is CHF and chrome lined to M249 specs, which should make for a very long lifetime. I chose the 51T for its excellent flash hiding qualities and for the ability to attach an AAC M4-2000. Next I added the BCM Gunfighter Mod4 charging handle for added reliability of the setup.

The rear sight is the standard Noveske supplied Troy BUIS & I decided to get an Aimpoint H1 mounted on a tall Larue mount. I bought the H1 over the T1 because I don’t plan on having Night Vision equipment nor do I plan on diving with my rifle. The decision on which mount to go with was easy; the robust construction and locking lever of the Larue mounts are tough to beat.

Next up is the Lower Receiver; I started with a (free) Noveske factory 2nd stripped lower and installed a Bill Springfield LPK with his 4 lbs trigger, a Colt bolt catch, a LMT fire selector and a Magpul MOE trigger guard.

A BCM mil-spec stock hardware mounting kit with H Buffer and a Magpul ASAP end plate enabled me to install a Magpul ACS stock, which nicely balances this mid-length Rifle, a plus is the trapdoor in which I store a few spare CR2032 batteries for the H1 & a sight adjustment tool. The Magpul MS2 Sling makes for quick transitions if used with the Magpul ASAP.

The Grip is a Magpul Miad because I like the way it feels in my Hand and I like the Interchangeable Grip Inserts. I also installed a Magpul B.A.D. for faster reloads & malfunction clearing.

For now this Rifle is completely done…at least until the release of the MOE Hand Guard for mid-length gas systems this summer. I have a Streamlight TLR1 waiting for one of those. I also might try out the AAC Breakout once released.

This is a durable, accurate & soft shooting AR and I am very satisfied with it. It’s nice to be done with a build but there is a Noveske Recon with 14” rail waiting in the safe for some goods…Geiselle SSA, Bobro Bipod, Nightforce NXS 1-4 on Larue Mount…don’t get me started…

Downloads
    Uploads

Early Noveske/VTAC Infidel

This started as a Colt 6721/AR-15A3 because that's what we issued where I used to work. But as is common, I was bitten by the Noveske bug and in early 2007 ordered a Noveske Infidel with the 13.7 inch barrel and the permanently attached KX-3. However I asked John for a modification. I had recently attended my first training course with Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics and was very impressed with the VTAC tube. As someone who needs, at most, a light and a foregrip, I like the simplicity of the tubular forend. In addition, the modularity of it, and the ability to put rails only where you need them was another factor that drew me to the VTAC tube. So I ordered the tube from VTAC and sent to John who was more than happy to put it on. (Note: This was before Noveske and VTAC teamed up and started making the VTAC rifles.)

Upper: Noveske Infidel 13.7 inch with KX-3 with a VTAC full length tube.

Sights: Noveske-marked Troy BUS

Optic: EOTech 552

Light: Surefire G3 in a VTAC light mount, mounted at 9 o'clock (I'm not sure why, but I forgot to mount the light before I took the pictures...)

Lower: Colt 6721/AR-15A3

Stock: Magul CTR

Sling: VTAC wide padded sling. I use a TangoDown PR-4 mounted at the rear of the receiver and attach the other end to the rear of the rail using the QD sling stud and swivel.

Grip: TangoDown.

Fore Grip: TangoDown full size. (I got that before they came out with the stubby....)

Overall, the Noveske has been amazing. However in retrospect, perhaps I should have gotten one of the Noveske N4 chrome lined barrels instead. The KX-3 adds a fair amout of weight to the front. Though I must admit that shooting through a windshield from inside a car with the Krink is....interesting...to say the least.

One change I want to make is to try the Magpul AFG because that seems to be my usual hand position anyways. If I don't like that, I may go with a TD stubby. I have also been thinking about getting one of the BCM Gunfighter charging handles.

I tried to get a little creative with the pictures, but I don't think they compare to Stick's pictures. Maybe someday I will actually learn how to use my camera...
    Last edited by Michael; 6 March 2010 at 22:32.
    "Of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there; Eighty are nothing but targets; Nine are real fighters….We are lucky to have them….They make the battle. Ah; but One; One of them is a Warrior….And he will bring the others back." * Source: Heraclitus (Circa 500 B.C.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Sabre Defense XR 15 M5

modified it "externally" a bit, due to ergonomics and function ( and style of course)

MAGPUL CTR - very lightweigt + friction lock
    MAGPUL ASAP - great designed ambi slingmount
    MAGPUL MIAD Grip - fits my hands the best
    TROY BUIS - lightweight rocksolid
    DPMS Ambi safety - just feels right
    MAGPUL BAD - ergonomics and speed while manipulating the bolt
    DD 9' Omega Rail - drop in, easy install, rocksolid and very ligthweight
    MAGPUL AFG - fits my shooting style
    Surefire muzzle brake - curious how it performs, haven't shot it yet

Intended modifications:
    swap CTR for ACS , swap 9' for 12 ' omega rail ( using a VLTOR lopro gasblock) with TROY front BUIS

The gun generally handles like a dream; it chews every ammo I throw at it and the built in trigger is nice!

(excuse the crappy pic, had bad lighting and tried to make the best out of it)

Downloads
    Uploads

Colt Build

First off, this is a great discussion and forum. I've learned a lot, both from the discussions around rationale for builds and from admiring Stick's amazing images. I'll share my build that I getting close to finishing:

Purpose - General rifle, primarily as go-to gun for home defense.

Approach - There are so many good builds out there, but I am partial to Colt since I have never had a problem with my other Colt rifles and I have seen a multitude of other manufacturer's rifles break-down during high round classes.

Upper - Colt M4 A3 upper. I wanted a barrel that could handle heaver bullets and I have had experience with 1:9 barrels that was less than optimal with heavier bullets (YMMV). This barrel has a 1:7 twist which holds a nice tight group with my 75gr TAP FPD out to 100 yd (probably longer but that is how far I have grouped it).

Lower - Colt AR-15A3. I got a good deal on the upper and mated it with this lower. Colt on Colt, nuf said

BCG: BCM MPI Auto. Have shot several thousand rounds without a hiccup.

Rail - Daniel Defense Omega 7. I was looking for a lightweight, free-float, no fuss rail. This has had some great reviews and I give it one also. Great construction fit and function. No muss no fuss install.

Railcovers - Magpul XTM on bottom and sides. I like the feel, comfort and relatively low profile of these. On the top of the rail is the DD low profile cover. Plus you can mix and match colors - what's not to like

Vert Grip - I am a fan of the stubby VGs and the Tango Down fits my needs/price point. The longer grips didn't add anything for me, I used only the top portion and they would get in the way when I was prone, so I have switched to stubbies. I position the VG closer to me since this lets me rest my barrel on a support when prone/zeroing and doesn't make my support arm feel over extended (can support rifle for longer with less stress).

Light/Mount - The Surefire G2LED is mounted in a Vltor offset light mount. The light has a Z59 tailcap that lets me use momentary or clip-on continuous light. I looked at many of the light systems out there and for the price, this one serves me best.

Optic/Mount - Aimpoint CompM3. 50,000 hours battery, NV compatible, etc etc. Works great for me in the house and outside. On a Larue cantilever. Has been rock solid and gives me the option to add a magnifier before the optic if I want in the future.

BUIS - GG&G MAD. I have used a number of others and really like the simplicity of the MAD.

Stock - Magpul ACS with enhanced buttpad. I tried the Emod and the ACS and this stock felt/fit better. It seems to balance the 16" very nicely. The extended pad gave perfect distance for me (eye to optic) with stock extended. I added the QD attachment point for my 2 point sling as well.

Handgrip - Magpul MOE. Fits my hand great and I don't like finger ridges on some of the other grips. Nice texture, not too tacky but not slippery when out in the rain.

Still going to add the Magpul enhanced trigger guard. It takes away the annoying gap and I like it on my other rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads

Slings

I have the rifle set up to use about any configuration sling. I really like the single point Gear Sector ASP. I connect it with a Daniel Defense QD adapter on the buffer tube. This has worked well for me in carbine classes and I don't have any issues transitioning to my secondary or running with it dropped by my side. I do see how climbing over obstacles would be a pain with a single point. I use a GS-2P sometime, but prefer the ASP for my needs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome write-up Iso!

Downloads
    Uploads

From Left to right, I have the CTR stock. Nice sturdy stock when the friction lock is locked. MIAD grip just fits my hand real well. MBUS rear sight, sturdy cheap sight that holds it zero. Vortex Strikefire for my optic. Great sight but just replaced it with an EOTECH. Will post pics when I get them up. Redi Mag for that quick reload when needed. BAD lever, one of my favorite purchases thus far. Ergo free float handguard. Magpul XTM and ladder rail protectors. AFG, at the time of the pic it was fresh out of the box. Since then I have fallen in love with it and put two on my other builds. Troy flip up front sight. Last but not least my favorite purchase is my Adams Arms piston kit. This thing is amazing. Prior to purchasing it I was all about DI but now piston has shown me the light. All of this is sitting on a Roggio Arsenal carbine. This rifle is my go to gun and the one I train with the most.
    Boom! That just happened.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Old School!!
    "Of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there; Eighty are nothing but targets; Nine are real fighters….We are lucky to have them….They make the battle. Ah; but One; One of them is a Warrior….And he will bring the others back." * Source: Heraclitus (Circa 500 B.C.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    What made you go with that layout?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What made you go with that layout?
    This is the result of an upper receiver swap, so that I could utilize the new Aimpoint/ADM Mount with my carbine.

The rifle previously wore a detachable carry handle anyway, so not much difference there from a functionality standpoint.

ETA: I think of it as the “Canadaization Of A Rifle”. (Colt Canada C7)