Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    So far its working out well. The sling mount is the Colt mount and I got it from PK firearms. The cheapest price I found around $29 and they were in stock.... The MI mount I got from Bravo Company.

I do not like the ring the light is in. Its a cheap scope ring I got from Wally World. It works fine, but its bulky. I'm thinking of trying one of the Vltor rings or something similar.

The swivel clears the light and ring as it sits. The ring is in like the second slot back on the rail. If you pushed it back any further, with the sling the way it is, the two will bump into each other. A lower profile ring would probably fix that. I have tried an M3, and similar lights like the TLR1 on the rail. They work fine. They don't work fine on the side with the sling.

I shoot with either my thumb up, or my forefinger pointing along the hand guards pointing forward. As such I can reach the switch on the light. If I put a light like the M3 on the other side, I can reach it with my index finger as it wraps around and under the handguards.

Now, it does add some weight to the muzzle. Its not much and I don't notice it much. I have had people tell me that they needed a generous amount of loctite to hold the MI mount in place. On one forum it was suggested that you should use red loctite if you shoot the gun a lot, or run it until its hot. I haven't shot it that hard yet. But I do have a little blue loctite on it.

Another option is to ditch the Colt style swivel and use the UWL sling mount from Blue Force Gear. Get the short length for this application. And be prepared to do some fidgiting to get the UWL on . Once its on its works well and under the FSB won't interfere with anything.

So I like it. Again the standard handguards are a necessity for my work car / gun rack. As a result all of this is a series of compromises. They are inexpensive changes, and can be made to issue guns without getting in trouble with your armorer. If Magpul made the MOE handguards for a midlength it would solve a lot of my issues.

Updated pic with sling removed for clarity.

Well I can't post pictures, but I've made some changes.

1) The round hand guards are gone and the Magpul Mid-length hand guards are in place.
    2) The Surefire G2 in the ring is gone, and a Surefire M600C Scout Light is in place. (Same place on the rail.)

The guys at Mont-N-Slot tell me that they have a better mounting solution for the Scout on the MOE, we'll soon see.

I'm still optics poor, but the light change.... what a difference! And the gun has held up very well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    MGM GTR 001. Build by Wallace

Mega GTR lower
    Mega Tactical trigger
    Gold selector
    A2 Stock
    ASA side charger
    Young BCG
    Saber D, 24" SS 1/8
    Leopold L

A pure bench rest tack driver for varmint and range fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I LOVE IT

except the stock

Downloads
    Uploads
    MY Rifle: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

I hadn’t fired an AR style rifle since 1968 in Vietnam but with the results of the 2008 election felt it was time to get back in the loop and buy one. A friend was in the same boat and bought whatever he could find off the rack which happened to be a Carbon-15 for $1000. As little as I knew I wouldn’t have done any better at the time. Instead, the scarcity of ARs and high prices diverted me to months of research and sorting it all out - not a bad thing. WEVO and other websites really helped me out - thanks!!!

By the summer of 2009 after months of empty shelves at local gun shops and hearing of 9-month backorders I feared that I might not be able to buy an AR so bought a stripped S&W M&P-15 lower that I stumbled across so I’d at least have the controlled part. I also found a Del-Ton LPK and BCM receiver extension/M4 Gen 2 stock kit with H-buffer.

A few months later I bought an ArmaLite 16” midlength upper because of its midlength gas system and 1:9 twist barrel since I knew 99% of the ammo I’d be shooting would be around 55gr. Also a local shop was clearing out this upper at a good price and threw in the $45 gas block sight. (Later I did replace its bolt carrier group with a Daniel Defense M16 BCG to correct deficiencies of the ArmaLite BCG and to have a spare.) No upgrades to the standard handguards as they work well for my application. I just want a basic AR that is reliable.

I bought a used milspec carry handle and replaced the front sight post with a Bushmaster 0.04” taller post to clear up a zeroing problem then got another milspec carry handle and cut it down to expose 4” of top rail for an optic. I dabbled with cheap RDS optics until I found the Bushnell TRS-25 which provides a 1/3 cowitness using YHM risers. This RDS is cheap but I haven’t experienced any problems and could tell immediately if it drifted off zero due to the cowitness. The carry handles are reindexed for IBZ, RIBZ and standard BZ zeros.

Earlier this month I bought an ArmaLite stripped lower and built it up with an ArmaLite single stage LPK and another BCM RE/M4 Gen 2 stock kit. I moved the ArmaLite upper to this lower and plan to buy a BCM 16” LW midlength upper for the M&P-15 lower. I picked up another used milspec carry handle and have cut it down for the rear sight.

The rifle functions very well and I am confident with it. I’m looking forward to finishing the second one during the holidays if possible. Very curious to compare the BCM’s 1:7 twist with 55gr and heavier ammo. This has been a very rewarding experience and I’m much happier with a custom built AR instead of a Bushmaster bought off the rack.

Lower Receiver:
    ArmaLite M15 Stripped Lower
    ArmaLite Single Stage Lower Parts Kit
    BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit/H-buffer

Upper Receiver:
    ArmaLite U15A4CB Midlength Upper Receiver
    Wilson Arms 16” HBAR Barrel (included above)
    Daniel Defense M16 Bolt Carrier Group

Sights/Optics/Mounts:
    ArmaLite E20151 Railed Gas Block Sight
    Colt A4 Cut Carry Handle (Anchor Harvey)
    Colt A4 Carry Handle (Cardinal Forge)
    Bushmaster 0.04” taller front sight post
    Yankee Hill Machine Co. 4”x½” Rail Riser (YHM-9595)
    Yankee Hill Machine Co. 1.3”x½” Mini Riser (YHM-226) x2 (to mount a scope)
    Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1x25mm Red Dot Sight

Miscellaneous:
    CQB Solutions 3-Point Tactical Sling
    Colt and other USGI 20/30rd Magazines
    MagPul PMAG 20/30rd Magazines

Lower Receiver #2:
    Smith&Wesson Model M&P-15 Stripped Lower
    Del-Ton Lower Parts Kit
    BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit/H-buffer
    Planned Upper: BCM LW 16” midlength

Here's the complete ArmaLite lower:

Last edited by Quentin; 29 October 2010 at 15:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 16" BCM mid-length working gun. Updated with MOE handguards, and a Surefire Scout Light on the MI rail.

Same gun showing how the Scout Light and side sling adapter work together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose it is appropriate that on Weapon Evolution, my weapons have evolved. Here again, are my updated take on some of the US military small arms. I didn't want retro replicas of the MK12, Recce, M4 and MK18, instead I wanted a usable modern version for me and mine. It was really important to me to have a common feel, with stocks, grips, and rails and that they all must have an identical cheek weld. I have used and replaced inferior optics, stocks, grips, slings, and these are the items I have used and abused and have confidence in. The capability of an AR15 is determined by the optic and barrel, and these five are examples of the optic and barrel combinations to fulfill a role.

Bravo Company MK12

Bravo Company Manufacturing in house upper - BCM Mk 12 Mod 3X-Bravo (DD14)
    BCM 18” SS410 Ion Bond DLC Stainless Steel 1 in 8” twist barrel 5.56 USMC SAM-R chamber A2 Flash Hider
    Rifle Length gas system H3 buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4
    Daniel Defense 14.0 Lite rail
    Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm Tactical Milling Reticle Larue SPR QD mount
    BCM/Troy back up iron sights
    Harris Ultra Light Bipod

Bravo Company Manufacturing lower receiver
    LMT 2 stage match trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MOE grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul XTM rail panels
    Magpul BAD lever
    KNS anti rotation pins
    Vickers Combat Applications padded two point sling

This take on the SPR is excellent, the Bravo Company upper is extremely well made and the BCM SS410 Ion Bond barrel is a true sub MOA tack driver, I recently shot two back to back groups at 200 yards that measured less than an inch. It might have a Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40mm in the near future.

Daniel Defense Recce

Daniel Defense in house upper - DD SPR Mid Length Complete Upper Receiver Group
    Lothar Walther LW50 Stainless Steel 1 in 7” twist barrel 5.56 Wylde chamber A2 Flash Hider
    Mid Length gas system H2 buffer
    Daniel Defense hand matched bolt and bolt carrier group
    Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite rail
    Leupold MK4 1.5-5x20mm Special Purpose Reticle Larue SPR QD mount
    Troy back up iron sights

Daniel Defense lower receiver
    LMT 2 stage match trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul XTM rail panels
    Magpul BAD lever
    KNS anti rotation pins
    Vickers Combat Applications two point sling

Probably the most versatile AR I own, my modern take on the SEAL Recce rifle is capable of red dot optic speed at close range yet will make good hits out past 600 yards. Doubles as my 3 Gun rifle. The LW50 barrel is sub MOA capable. The SEALs knew what they were doing with the 16" Recce.

Colt General Purpose Carbine

Colt/LMT Upper
    Colt 6721 16” Heavy 1 in 9” twist barrel 5.56 NATO chamber A2 Flash Hider Carbine Length gas system with H2 buffer
    LMT bolt and bolt carrier group
    EOTech 552
    Troy back up iron sights
    Surefire G2 in Viking Tactics mount

Lewis Machine & Tool lower receiver
    LMT single stage mil spec trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MOE grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul AFG
    Magpul XTM rail panels
    Magpul BAD lever
    Blue Force Gear Vicker's Combat Applications sling

This carbine was to be a "beater" high round count, general purpose rifle that I wouldn't mind using for "hard use" shooting with a more flexible twist rate to take advantage of the cheapest ammo that may be available, so I went with a complete upper from a Colt AR6721. Great for a loaner or the new shooter.

Bravo Company M4

Bravo Company Manufacturing in house upper - BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length
    BCM standard 14.5” 1 in 7” twist barrel chrome lined 5.56 NATO chamber PWS FSC556 tactical compensator
    Mid Length gas system H2 buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    Aimpoint T1 Micro Larue QD mount
    BCM/Troy back up iron sights
    Magpul MOE vertical fore grip

Bravo Company Manufacturing lower receiver
    BCM single stage mil spec trigger
    Magpul CTR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul XTM rail panels
    Magpul BAD lever
    KNS anti rotation pins
    Vickers Combat Applications padded two point sling

I discussed this one with Paul Buffoni the owner of Bravo Company it was my desire to put together a light weight, very soft shooting carbine that was simple and rugged for my wife. He led me to the excellent 14.5" barrel mid length gas system upper, with the very effective PWS compensator. This is an amazing fighting carbine, that could replace the 16" barrel mid length as the "sweet spot" in the AR15.

Lewis Machine & Tool MK18

Lewis Machine & Tool custom upper - LMT 10.5" Upper Receiver Assembly
    LMT 10.5” 1 in 7” twist barrel chrome lined 5.56 NATO chamber Noveske KX3 flash hider
    Carbine Length gas system H buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    Daniel Defense 10.0 Lite rail
    EOTech XPS Larue QD mount
    Troy back up iron sights
    Surefire X300 weapon light
    Magpul Angled fore grip

Lewis Machine & Tool lower receiver
    LMT single stage mil spec trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul XTM rail panels
    Magpul BAD lever
    KNS anti rotation pins
    Blue Force Gear UDC padded single point sling

There is just something about a short assault rifle with a red dot and a white light. This is my home defense carbine, 100% reliable and MOA accurate it is extremely fast and easy to make hits from bad breath distances to 300 yards. I see a sound suppressor in it's future.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 30 November 2010 at 19:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great stuff Cameron.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cameron,
    Awesome gear there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post

My wife's rifle is a low budget clone of exactly this.
    H1 instead of the larger Aimpoint
    VTAC/Surefire V4 light on VLTOR mount instead of the X600
    And it wears an EMOD, but is otherwise orthodox church of Magpul.

This layout is really effective, very affordable, and I think epitomizes the post-GWOT capable KISS style rifle the best - A simple lightweight light, a rugged red dot sight, simple BUIS, adjustable 2pt sling, and some MagPul to round it out.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd hate to admit what I paid for that Scout light. It was a steal. And if I could, I'd drop the XD and put on a T1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I do, without a doubt, like that format.

This will very likely switch from the MI Light rail/VLTOR Scount mount to a MOE Handguard and the IWC Offset Scout mount (from top mount).
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bought my first AR platform this year, only put about 500 rounds through it so far.

Rock River Arms AR-15 Elite Comp

Here's the spec list from the stock setup

I added a badger charging handle and star ambi safety. I recently added the Magpul MS-2 sling with the ASAP sling attachment.

The optic is a cheapo NCstar, might need to update that sometime soon.

I really like the ergo hand grip and the RRA stock has a nice cheek well to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

LMT CQB Piston

This is my 16" LMT piston AR. Pretty much stock just a few upgrades:

- My old Aimpoint ML2/ QRP mount with a new FDE rubber cover and lens covers
    - Tango Full VFG( hands are too big for stubby eve with a high grip)
    - Magpul back up sights
    -Magpul ASAP (Not in pic)

The MRP/ piston combo is somewhat heavier than some of the M4/AR's ive shot but i spent 7 months lugging around a M14 so i dont mind it much. Im trying to keep the accessories to a minimum and go all polymer as much as possible.
    So far everything about piston guns is true with this one. I put 600 A/E 5.56 55gr. through it in PMAGs with no hicups. Cleand it with a canopy wipe and some CLP in 2 min. At 100yds i couldnt notice any accuracy difference but a Army buddy who is a much better shot than me said there is some minor drop off in grouping from DI guns 200yds+( outside of my scope of responsibility)

One thing i would like to mention is that i bought a Magpul B.A.D leaver a few weeks ago and it caused the BCG to drag severely.
    The MRP dosent have a cutout for the charging paddle and the B.A.D was a too thick- Tried it file off a mm off the B.A.D lever but it would still drag 2 out of 3 cycles so i gave it to a buddy. Guess this is a common hit or miss thing for the lever and different uppers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Noveske rifles

The purpose of this rifle is for 3-gun. I just built it 3 weeks ago for Area 6 multigun championship.

Noveske 18" 5.56 Rogue Hunter - Upper
    Noveske 18 inch stainless barrel with intermediate gas - to meet power factor, balance the softness of shooting and maneuverability, and get the accuracy of noveske SS barrel.
    SJC Titan brake - The best brake in the industry for pure recoil control
    Troy 13" extreme Battle rail - small tubular, easy to hold and point, very light
    Noveske Bolt - I don't find anything wrong with this automatic well staked bolt by Noveske.
    BCM Mod 3 charging handle - very easy to rack with one hand.

Noveske N4 - lower
    Geisselle S3G trigger - designed for 3-gun. Very smooth 1 stage trigger. quick reset for faster follow-up shots.
    Vltor Emod A5 Stock - A5 is designed for intermediate gas system. It has longer receiver extension, rifle action spring and A5 buffer. This is softer shooting than Carbine stock receiver kits. Emod because I already have it and it is a decent stock that balances the 18" barrel well.

Optics
    Tijicon Accupoint TR-24R. Good value, simple reticle, decent glass. No battery to worry. Always on. With Cat Tail to easily adjust the magnification.
    Larue SPR-E mount - Larue makes the best optics mount in the industry. Solid 1 piece QD mount. Secure and can return back to zero if you remove it and put it back on.
    No BUIS on this rifle because this is a game and hunting gun not my tactical/defense weapon.

I do not have multi-purpose rifles anymore. I sold all of my 'multipurpose" rifles and now only have 2, my game rifle and defense rifle.

Here's my service/tactical rifle.

Noveske N4 14.5" Lo-Pro - upper
    14.5" N4 barrel with carbine gas - short, very light, easy to point and shoot. Also designed for heavy use with it's special layered chrome lining.
    SWS quadrail - thin, light, built in QD ports for sling attachment, non-rotational design and solid construction.
    Troy BUIS - These are amongs the simplest, more reliable foldable iron sights.
    FCS556 Brake - decent balance of recoil reduction and flash suppression. Pinned so that ATF compliant. Also barely affects my fellow shooters when practicing. Loud but not so loud.
    PRI gas busting charging handle - I shoot this rifle alot in trainings so i do not like so much gas coming back at me.

Optics.
    Trijicon accupoin TR24 - shared. - My scope is always mounted in this defense gun unless i go to 3-gun matches then this scope moves to my 18" rogue hunter. true 1X and like red dot. Good for defense.

Noveske n4 -lower
    Geissele SSA trigger - No adjustment to mess with. Smooth trigger but not dangerously light. Just crisp.
    Vltor Modstock - Carbine stock system, H2 buffer - Designed for 14.5". Very light stock to balance the light 14.5" barrel.
    Noveske QD end plate - for easy sling attachment.
    Magpul MS2 Sling - easily adjustable 1 point and 2 point sling.

Light - Surefire 6P LED in Larue QD mount. - Throws decent 60 lumens, LED so not affected much by the recoil. Good deal on surefire 6P. Simple operation just push button located on the weak side.

Magazines - Magpul 30 rds. Reliable.
    Ammunition - 55gr FMJ Atlanta Arms and Ammo. - Good for practice and competition. Loaded properly. Will meet power factor.
    M855 - tactical load. Cheap. Can penetrate thin steel if needed.
    M262 - for home defense and target shooting.

Sorry for the delay. Holidays plus workload....

Here's my 2 Noveske side by side

-Smoothdraw
    Last edited by smoothdraw; 2 December 2010 at 17:16. Reason: input pictures