Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my first AR build and several things will be changed when more money is in the wallet. lol But for now it will consist of,

Seekins ambi lower,
    PSA LPK, with KNS anti-rotation kit, (will be getting better trigger)
    PSA upper(will be gettin Seekins) with Wilson .223 SS 16" mid barrel,
    Billet charging handle,
    Magpul MOE grip and MOE stock, OD green,
    Troy drop in 9" rail,
    Ergo ladder covers, OD green.
    Magpul MBUS rear sight,
    Tactical link Z360 sling mount and single point sling,(also have Magpul MS2 sling),
    NCStar 2.5-7x42 mil-dot illuminated(red/green) scope(for now but its was free and holds zero with clear glass)

and Im sure theres a couple things Im forgetting but you get the idea. The rest of the parts(upper) will be here tuesday so Ill post some pics then. Let me know what yall think.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's my work horse. BCM 16'' middy. This bbl length is great for medium distance shooting but does not require NFA. I prefer the 14.5'' but wanted a KAC triple tap on this rifle...not pinning and welding that. SSA-E trigger, super crisp, almost too light though and have stuck with SSA on my Recce type rifles. 12'' LaRue handguard. Scout light, very reliable without adding too much weight on LaRue mount. Aimpoint co-witness on LaRue base, probably moving over to a 1/3 on this soon though. Troy flip-ups. Magpul furntiure and LaRue clips.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick pic before putting the SWFA 1-4 on. Noveske N4 18'' SPR. Geissele DMR trigger. FSC556. LaRue 13.2'' rail. Harris bipod with LaRue mount. Troy flips. Magpul furniture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im new to this site and just wanted to say that im doing my first build ever of an AR15.

looking for comments, suggestions, tips and hints.

so far I have ordered all the parts and pieces and they are in the mail.
    they are:

-BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense LITE 12" Handguard
    -Vltor AR-15 Lower Receiver 5.56mm Complete .223
    -CAA UPG16 Pistol Grip black and tan.
    -Magpul GEN2 MBUS Rear and front
    -4 Magpul PMAG 30rd with window
    -Magpul UBR Collapsible stock
    -LMT Tactical Charging Handle Assembly
    -Magpul MOE Trigger Guard Polymer
    -Vltor Scout Mount
    -Surefire E2L Outdoorsman Flashlight
    -Streamlight Tactical Light Remote Switch
    -Magpul MS2 Multi-Mission Sling System
    -Magpul RSA Rail Sling Attachment
    -Magpul ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point
    -Magpul BAD Lever Battery Assist Device
    -Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip
    -Magpul XT Rail Panel
    -Magpul XTM Rail Panels
    -Sightmark red dot scope

That is everything I ordered to complete the gun that i want. ill have pictures as soon as i get the parts from the mail.
    It should turn out to be a pretty sweet gun. (I hope)
    Please comment; dos and donts, good rounds to buy, lube, cleaning kits, etc...
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    grgelliott,
    Nice build list. What role will this be used in?

A few thoughts: the Sightmark RDS isn't exactly a recommended optic, especially given the good parts in you build. The MAD seems to work for some folks, but creates negative issues for others. Do you have experience with the standard setup that caused you to need one? The Surefire E2L isn't really the best choice for a weapon-mounted light, given the low output and two stage switch. The light's barrel is narrower than most and I'm not sure what light mounts will work. Also, will the Streamlight pressure switch fit a SF? I have not tried that combo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks!

yea i realized that after i purchased the light and the switch. too much clicking around on the sight i guess. most likely will return and get a good pair. any recommendations?

the sightmark red dot is what was on my old shotgun that i didnt use... more than likely will purchase a eotech and flip magnifier for this AR.

Im generally building this gun for recreation, coyote hunting, wild bore hunting, home protection, and obstical courses for AR for time.

I figured i can buy cheap parts now and replace them all when i realize i should of bought good parts from the start. so i want to do it right the first time.

your advice was great, im lookin into new light and optics now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I took your advice and since I want to do this build right, I went ahead and ordered the Surefire M951 flashlight with rail mount and pressure switch. another piece to wait for in the mail. ill post pics when i get everything in and assembled

Downloads
    Uploads

My Recce build
    -Rainier Arms Upper
    -Black Hole Weaponry 16" 1x8 twist
    -Spikes Tactical lower
    -Geissele SSA trigger
    -Magpul MOE Grip
    -Magpul MOE Stock
    -Daniel Defense Low Profile gas block
    -BCM Bolt assembly
    -BCM Gunfighter Charging handle
    -Magpul BAD Lever
    -MI 12" FF Handguard
    -Magpul AFG2
    -Knights Armament rail covers
    -YHM Compensator
    -EOTech 557 with Aimpoint 3x Magnifier in Larue Tactical flip mount
    -Magpul front BUIS
    -Matech rear BUIS
    -VTAC sling

Downloads
    Uploads

14.5''' Noveske Afghan with p&w BattleComp 1.5, 12'' LaRue handguard, Noveske N4 lower, MUR upper, DD LPK, SSA trigger, Noeveske Troys and charging handle, etc. Still deciding on an optic though. Going to toss a Troy ambi on too once I make another parts order.

Wanted a Recce type rifle that could drive nails, so I went with the Noveske SS barrel. Wanted the 14.5'' to help maneuver during tight situations w/o dealing with a stamp. Kept my standards high on the rest of build, currently $2,500 deep on this one.

Thinking 1-6x optic, but I MIGHT go with an Aimpoint with magnifier. Not generally a fan of the magnifier on a red dot, but it might work on this rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rifle Configuration as of 03/23/2012

My rifle is basically an M16A4 clone. I have no training on the M16A4, have never held a real one, I just happen to really like the configuration. The longer gas system and the added weight that comes with this configuration really makes it a mild shooter. The longer sight radius is a huge benefit to me since I am not using optics. I tried an TA31F-G ACOG from Trijicon for a while, but find I tend to shoot more quickly and more accurately using iron sights. Especially considering I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards with this rifle, the ACOG was a nuisance more than anything else. I might try out an Aimpoint Micro T-1, but am having a hard time justifying it considering I don't feel handicapped by the iron sights. The Daniel Defense A1.5 is a great rear sight.

The really mild recoil on this rifle also makes it great for teaching new shooters who are ready to move beyond .22LR.

The rail system is in place primarily because it provides a very secure way of attaching a QD socket for a sling. Besides, I got the rail system for really cheap, and couldn't pass it up. The extra weight is a little annoying, but not really that big of a deal.

I prefer the A2 stock since it doesn't wobble, and I usually keep the stocks of carbines at full extension anyway. I also like the ability to have a cleaning rod on the rifle just in case I need to clear a stuck case. I also like fixed stocks because, while I am currently clean shaven, I was rocking the lumberjack look for a while and collapsible stocks always ended up pinching and ripping out my beard hairs. It hurt, and if not kept in check would eventually cause an unsightly bald patch... hey, don't laugh, it's a legitimate issue.

(Edit to add: One thing I do not like about the A2 stock is that it doesn't work well with my TAG Marine Gladiator chest rig. The padded shoulder straps in combination with a stock that is already full length is not ideal. I make due, since most of my shooting is not done with a chest rig on, and it isn't really a problem, just annoying.)

I really like the VTAC sling. Sometimes I get annoyed at the tail, but having the ability to secure the rifle across my back and use my hands without having to find a good place to lean it or lay it on the floor is convenient.

Parts List:
    Lower:
    Interarms ISA-15 Lower Half
    Colt's Mfg A2 Stock
    Upper:
    Palmetto State Armory Upper Half with FN Barrel
    Knight's Armament Company M5 Rail Adapter System
    Accoutrements:
    Daniel Defense A1.5 Rear Sight
    Daniel Defense QD Sling Swivel
    Blue Force Gear A2 Stock adapter
    Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling (Coyote)
    Brownell's AR15 Buttstock Cleaning Kit

Intended Role:
    I try to be realistic about what my needs are. Chances are, this rifle will never be fired in anger. It will mostly just give me enjoyment on the weekends, hopefully holding tight groups from a bench or prone while being smooth to shoot. The most noble thing it will likely ever do is give some new shooters an introduction to the AR15 in a mild recoiling, accurate package. However, I did try to go with parts of sufficient quality that I feel comfortable trusting my life to it if that need arises- I feel like I have found a balance that gives me the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 27 March 2012 at 21:55.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    7.62x39mm
    Magpul MOE + Grip
    Magpul flip up rear sight
    Magpul CTRl stock
    Magpul B.A.D lever
    Magpul aluminum trigger guard
    Laure LT-110 EOTech riser
    EOTech XPS-2
    DD LITE 12.0 FSP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please forgive the crappy pic...

This is my TEOTWAWKI go-to gun. BCM upper and lower, Centurion Arms C4 rail, SureFire M600C. She's rock solid and runs like a champ. I went with parts from companies with solid reputations for quality. I'm not 100% sold on the tape switch for the SureFire and I would like to upgrade the ML2 to a T1 eventually. I'm running BAD-ASS Hybrid safety selector levers on both sides. IMO the Hybrid lever is perfection incarnate. I also really like the MOE+ grip. It provides a good grip even with wet or sweaty hands.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some minor updates to three of my carbines. I ditched the BCM 18" SPR as it was just too close in performance to the Daniel Defense 16".

"The Recce"

Daniel Defense in house custom upper
    Lothar Walther 16” LW50 Stainless Steel 1 in 7” twist barrel 5.56 Wylde chamber A2 Flash Hider Mid Length gas system with H2 buffer
    Daniel Defense bolt carrier group with a bolt that is hand matched to the barrel

BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4
    Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite rail
    Magpul XTM rail panels with custom texturing
    IWC Hand Stop
    VTAC Light Mount
    Streamlight 130 Lumen light
    Leupold MK4 1.5-5x20mm Special Purpose Reticle 3rd Gen Illumination Larue SPR-1.5 QD mount
    Troy back up iron sights

Daniel Defense lower receiver
    LMT 2 stage match trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul BAD lever
    Vickers Combat Applications padded two point sling

My attempt at the "do-it-all" carbine, a build inspired by the SEAL Recce rifle. This is a fantastic AR, I bought the upper from Daniel Defense before they were manufacturing their own barrels and they used the excellent Lothar Walther LW50 machined to a specially tapered contour they requested. This rifle makes me look like a better shooter than I am. With the tapered barrel it balances perfectly for me and is very fast at close range, it will rival the times I am able to get with my red dot equipped ARs up close and then settles down to put sub MOA groups out at longer ranges. I recently shot this on a known distance range and made first round hits on all 20" targets at 200, 400, 500, 800 yards.

"The M4"

Bravo Company Manufacturing upper
    BCM 14.5” 1 in 7” twist chrome lined barrel 5.56 NATO chamber PWS FSC556 tactical compensator Mid Length gas system with H2 buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    Magpul XTM rail panels custom texturing

Gear Sector Hand Stop

VTAC Light Mount
    Aimpoint T1 Micro Larue QD mount
    BCM/Troy back up iron sights

Bravo Company Manufacturing lower receiver
    BCM single stage mil spec trigger with light work done my local gsmith to clean it up.
    Magpul CTR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul BAD lever
    Vickers Combat Applications two point sling

This is a light weight, very soft shooting carbine for my wife. she likes it, I love it and shoot it a lot more than she does. It is incredibly soft shooting with the 14.5" with the mid length gas system and the very effective (and very loud) PWS compensator.

"The Mk18"

Lewis Machine & Tool upper
    LMT 10.5” 1 in 7” twist chrome lined barrel 5.56 NATO chamber A2 flash hider Carbine Length gas system with H buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    Daniel Defense 10.0 Lite rail
    Surefire X300 weapon light
    Gear Sector Hand Stop

EOTech XPS Larue QD mount
    Troy back up iron sights

Lewis Machine & Tool lower receiver
    LMT single stage mil spec trigger with light work done my local gsmith to clean it up.
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul BAD lever
    Blue Force Gear UDC padded single point sling

This is my home defense and work carbine. It is 100% reliable and MOA accurate it is extremely fast and easy to make hits from bad breath distances to 300 yards. I don't make a trip to the range when this doesn't come a long. It has performed flawlessly for thousands of rounds even going more than 2,000 rounds without being cleaned.

Things I am thinking about changing:

Muzzle devices may all be changed to accept a sound suppressor.
    Better triggers for the two single stage carbines, perhaps the ALG Defense ACT, or the Geissele.
    When they are shot out a Light Weight 14.5" barrel for the "M4" and an 11.5" for the "Mk18"

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 9 May 2012 at 06:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Some minor updates to three of my carbines. I ditched the BCM 18" SPR as it was just too close in performance to the Daniel Defense 16".

"The Recce"

Daniel Defense in house custom upper
    Lothar Walther 16” LW50 Stainless Steel 1 in 7” twist barrel 5.56 Wylde chamber A2 Flash Hider Mid Length gas system with H2 buffer
    Daniel Defense bolt carrier group with a bolt that is hand matched to the barrel

IWC Hand Stop
    VTAC Light Mount
    Leupold MK4 1.5-5x20mm Special Purpose Reticle 3rd Gen Illumination Larue SPR-1.5 QD mount
    Troy back up iron sights

Daniel Defense lower receiver
    LMT 2 stage match trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul BAD lever
    Vickers Combat Applications padded two point sling

My attempt at the "do-it-all" carbine, a build inspired by the SEAL Recce rifle. This is a fantastic AR, I bought the upper from Daniel Defense before they were manufacturing their own barrels and they used the excellent Lothar Walther LW50 machined to a specially tapered contour they requested. This rifle makes me look like a better shooter than I am. With the tapered barrel it balances perfectly for me and is very fast at close range, it will rival the times I am able to get with my red dot equipped ARs up close and then settles down to put sub MOA groups out at longer ranges. I recently shot this on a known distance range and made first round hits on all 20" targets at 200, 400, 500, 800 yards.

"The M4"

Bravo Company Manufacturing upper
    BCM 14.5” 1 in 7” twist chrome lined barrel 5.56 NATO chamber PWS FSC556 tactical compensator Mid Length gas system with H2 buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    Magpul XTM rail panels custom texturing

Gear Sector Hand Stop

VTAC Light Mount
    Aimpoint T1 Micro Larue QD mount
    BCM/Troy back up iron sights

Bravo Company Manufacturing lower receiver
    BCM single stage mil spec trigger with light work done my local gsmith to clean it up.
    Magpul CTR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul BAD lever
    Vickers Combat Applications two point sling
    This is a light weight, very soft shooting carbine for my wife. she likes it, I love it and shoot it a lot more than she does. It is incredibly soft shooting with the 14.5" with the mid length gas system and the very effective (and very loud) PWS compensator.

"The Mk18"

Lewis Machine & Tool upper
    LMT 10.5” 1 in 7” twist chrome lined barrel 5.56 NATO chamber A2 flash hider Carbine Length gas system with H buffer
    BCM bolt carrier group
    Daniel Defense 10.0 Lite rail
    Surefire X300 weapon light
    Gear Sector Hand Stop

EOTech XPS Larue QD mount
    Troy back up iron sights

Lewis Machine & Tool lower receiver
    LMT single stage mil spec trigger with light work done my local gsmith to clean it up.
    Magpul UBR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Magpul BAD lever
    Blue Force Gear UDC padded single point sling

This is my home defense and work carbine. It is 100% reliable and MOA accurate it is extremely fast and easy to make hits from bad breath distances to 300 yards. I don't make a trip to the range when this doesn't come a long. It has performed flawlessly for thousands of rounds even going more than 2,000 rounds without being cleaned.

Things I am thinking about changing:

Muzzle devices may all be changed to accept a sound suppressor.
    Better triggers for the two single stage carbines, perhaps the ALG Defense ACT, or the Geissele.
    When they are shot out a Light Weight 14.5" barrel for the "M4" and an 11.5" for the "Mk18"

Cameron

VERY nice.