Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaj View Post
    Nice build and great writeup!
    Thanks bud. It has served me very well as an all around carbine for general LE duties.

Downloads
    Uploads

12.5" Mk18, AAC SPR/M4

Here is my recently completed SBR. It was directly influenced by the MK18 based on sexy factor, also based on there not being a Geissele SMR in 9" available. The goal of this gun is a "bump in the night" rifle for now. If I use it outdoors, the optic would switch to a SWFA 1-4 to help squeeze some more distance performance, plus my eyes have gone crap so the magnification would be useful to identify targets and what's beyond.

Video! Be gentle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7i2VyWTEo

The Build

Upper

Innovative W.A.R.: I chose this upper receiver as I had read about the benefits of the Noveske Switchblock, but I didnt want to have to deal with either cutting my forearm or having to use a shorter one to fit their gasblock. The W.A.R. seemed to have some good reviews and impressions, and allowed me to use whatever rail. One hiccup was that a tiny bit (less than 1/4") of where the gas tube enters the upper is not flush with the receiver, so I actually had to drill the bolt-up collar on the DD rail. All in all, I'd say it works as advertised. There is a noticable reduction in signature/recoil impulse with the can on in suppressed setting. The weapon cycled 55gr 5.56 193 Ball (Federal and Prvi Partisan) without hiccup.

DD 12.5" CHF Bbl, Gov profile: DD CHF barrels have very high praise, and I needed at least a 12.5 for my suppressor. Chose it over the BCM SS and standard barrels mainly due to weight and CHF. 100% satisfied.

BCM BCG: Due to the craze, I stole the BCG from my BCM 16" M4. Since the 12.5 is now my bedside gun, I'm fine with that. I will either get a Youngs chromed from Rainier, or just get a DD/BCM BCG once things settle down.

DD Mk18 rail: Chosen due to MK18 sexy factor, as well as the length being just at the max I could use with the suppressor. Light, strong, fairly thin. Love it.

BCM .750 Gas Block: It's BCM, was pretty much the pattern of the MK12/DD/Badger gas block, so I went with it. Works great, Robb Jensen at VA Arms dimpled the barrel for me. Rock solid.

BCM Gunfighter C/H (new version): I love my old model C/H, and hoped the new model would provide some "gasbuster" like properties. Didn't exactly do that, so either I will try the RTV mod or maybe even try drilling a port similar to the gasbuster.

AAC Miter Brake: I went with a brake due to the "sacrificial baffle" logic. If a Battlecomp version had been made I'd probably have chosen that. If Battlecomp is still offering their machining service, I might nab a Miter flash hider version and have them do the modification.

AAC SPR/M4 suppressor: Originally purchased for my Mk12 M0d. 0, I read some stuff by Stickman on the SPR/M4 on the 12.5" Switchblock Noveske rifles, which is what shoved me into finally getting an SBR and Suppressor. The can was also picked because the Mk12 uses the Ops Inc. 12th model, a reflex can, and I wanted to at least emulate that on my SPR. To me it seemed better to do the AAC can because the 12th Model requires specific profiling on the barrel, and I wanted to use the can on a few different 5.56 rifles.

Lower

Precision Firearms Billet lower: PF frequents the Nation's Gun Show in Virginia, so I took a look at their lower. I liked the design, and it ended up fitting super-snug with every upper I owned. I can't say the same about my POF lower (a $2K rifle)... Either way, I'm pleased with the lower. Good anodizing, very snug, built in big trigger guard and slight magwell flare. Would def buy another for non-milspec clone type rifles like a Recce.

PSA LPK w/ ALG ACT: I went with the PSA LPK due to availability, and the package with the ALG trigger. Heard good things about the ACT, and I'd say they were warranted. The trigger is crisp, nice reset. As far as the rest of the LPK, I'm not sure that they use "top shelf" parts, since while trying to push out a snug takedown pin, I easily scratched off the finish of the pin with a soft metal punch... Didn't seem like it was anodized or finished like my LMT lower's parts, or the M16/M4's I used in the Marines. Everything fit though, and it works. The selector has broken in nicely at least.

BCM Gunfighter grip, mod 1: I wanted to try the new grip, and I like it. One issue was that it was super snug, and did not fit correctly in the rear of the grip. I had to dremel along the backstrap to relieve it a bit. It still is not 100% flush to the receiver, but I'm not super worried about that. I like the grip, a bit different but I'm getting used to it.

BCM Buffer tube, H2 Buffer: Innovative Arms recommended an H2 buffer with their receiver. Thus far it works as advertised. This was substituted from my first choice, the Vltor A5 system, but they are unobtanium right now. Still another 2-3 months from when they told me they might get them back in stock. I wanted to shoot my rifle for the first time on my Bday, so I just got the BCM parts. (2nd choice, but still works and is great quality!)

B5 Sopmod stock: I liked the LMT Sopmod on my Defender 2000 lower, so I figured a Sopmod for way less was a great option. It is just about the same, with the rotation-limited QD sling point. Also chosen for MK18 clone sexiness.

iKickHippies SLAP Plate: I originally wanted to use Mash Hooks front and back, hence the SLAP plate. The only problem is that in that config, the rear sling always ended up in my cheekweld area on the stock... The part is well made, I like it, but until I can figure out the sling setup it's unused unless I use a 1 point for some reason.

Magpul BAD lever: I like being able to lock the bolt with my firing hand in position. Personal preference. Ability to drop bolt is also nice.

Accessories

KAC Micro Sights: I wanted to try and follow the MK18/SOPMOD Block II theme, but the KAC Taupe front sights were unobtanium, so I just went with Micro front an 300 rear. It fills the function of a BUIS, and is super low profile. I can actually fit my SWFA 1-4 over the rear with lots of room to spare.

Burris XTR-135 red dot, ADM mount: I got the dot a few years ago for $100 at a gun show used. It does the job, I've had no issues with the battery dying, but I don't leave it on. Will probably replace with a T1 if I can ever get the cash saved up, unless by some magic an Elcan grows on the tree in my back yard. I feel a 1-4 would be good for the rifle, but my SWFA bumps the weight above where I'd feel the benefit of an SBR is negated (though the suppressor adds much of the weight).

Surefire light, VTAC mount: I honestly can't remember what model it is... 600? Either way, it came with a pressure switch and was good and bright. Still haven't changed the batteries, but I barely use it. I tried the TLR-1 in the 12 o'clock, still wasn't 100% in love with it since it meant I had to move other accessories back. Might try again someday, like if Tango Down makes one of those FSB adapters.

Magpul XTM handstop/Ergo front grip: I originally tried the handstop alone, but it seemed to put a lot of pressure on my wrist and was uncomfortable. I think the handstop would be better server on a 12"+ rail. I am planning on chopping down the VG to more of a stubby, since I use the modified thumb-break grip and dont need the entire VG there. I have the Troy modular VG, but since it is metal the rails transfer the heat, and it gets very hot. I'd like to be able to use this without gloves, but usually shoot with them anyways unless something is going bump in the night.

TI Kwikguard rail covers: I have Knight's and these that I grabbed off of Amazon. They are good and stiff, not awfully heavy, and seem good and thick to buffer the heat. They are grippy, and cheap enough I'd have no problems cutting them down to fit wherever I want them.

BFG Vicker's padded sling: I have two VTAC slings, and like the quick adjust 2pt sling setup. Tried this one due to good reviews, and overall I like it. The only thing is I am a small guy, and it seems like I can't quite get it as small as I'd like.

Lancer L5 magazine, Remington Gold Medal Match 77gr ammo: I like the L5 magazines for some reason, the clear is kind of nice for in the house if I had to quickly look at capacity. It somehow "feels" lighter than a PMAG, but it might just be a mind trick. I have yet to have any feed issues with this magazine. 2 Pmags with SS109 sit in my chest rig next to the rifle at the foot of the bed, so if for some ungodly reason I actually have some serious worst-case-scenario body armored folks in the house, hopefully the 109 might come in handy. The 77 GMM is the heaviest stuff I have right now. I am not sure whether the Hornady TAP stuff will cause a problem in my suppressor, as they seemed to warn against hollowpoint bullets and such to make sure they don't come apart in the can. If TAP is consider kosher with my suppressor, I might switch to that as my primary mag in the rifle.
    Last edited by LanceCriminal; 11 May 2013 at 09:41. Reason: I remembered I have a video!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Subbing to this exactly what I was looking for!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe this is my first post here. I figure I can start with my recent build I just completed last week. What and why I went with what I did. First off, I am in the Army, and I am an enthusiast of tac rifle/multi gun. I also really enjoy taking classes when I available and when I can afford it. This build started as my no holds barred dream rifle. This rifle was intended to be a general purpose rifle that I would use for training classes, HD, as well as kind of a test bed for things I might like to use on my issued M4. Here's the parts list:

Lower Receiver

AXTS AX556 Lower Receiver - I wanted a fully ambi lower without any gizmos hanging off of it to achieve this. I also really like the looks of the AX556.
    White Oaks Armament Small Parts - Price was right, I could order individual pieces, and from what I could gather, they make quality parts.
    Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger - I wanted a fast trigger for shooting matches.
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 Grip - Never tried a reduced angle grip, and wanted to try one.
    PWS 416 Enhanced Buffer Tube - I got "hooked up" with one a couple of years ago, and I really like it. So I decided to go with it on this build. I like its mounting solution. No castle nut. Don't have to worry about staking etc. Easy to remove if need be. Comes with QD sockets, and it looks good.
    BAD-CASS-ST - Do I need to explain why I went with a Battle Arms Development selector? I really like the short throw. It's so much easier to take on and off of safe.
    Standard H Buffer - So far works fine with M855, MK262 and PRVI 55 grain 5.56. It ejects all 3 loads at around the 4 o'clock. I do plan to shoot some weaker PMC .223 to make sure it'll eat everything I use. If it still eats up the PMC, I may try going with a H2 buffer.
    Sprinco Enhanced (blue) buffer spring - Basically from doing research, it seemed like the enhanced spring was the way to go. So far it's proving to be very reliable.
    Magpul ACS Stock - I like having stocks with a wider cheek weld. I really like Vltor stocks, but I thought I'd try out the Magpul. I also like having storage compartments. For me, it's a good place to store a spare battery, small bottle of lube, and ear plugs.

Upper Receiver
    Vltor MUR 1A - It seems others who have been running the AX556 had good fitment with the Vltor upper. I also like having the forward assist. Again, the Vltor receiver just looks good too.
    Noveske 14.5" N4 LP Chrome Lined Barrel (Mid Length) - I wasn't going for a precision rifle, but I wanted the most accurate CL barrel I could get. Apparently Noveske has it. I wanted durability first and foremost, and I felt Noveske had what I was looking for.
    Noveske Low Pro Gas Block - Comes with the barrel, and it comes ready to be pinned. The barrel and gas block is already drilled. The gas block uses a pin and set screw to secure it in place.
    Noveske Mid Length Gas Tube - It comes with the barrel. No brainer here.
    13.5" Noveske NSR Hand Guard - I wanted a slim, slick rail that was light weight and had a solid mount. Noveske delivers with the NSR. It is absolutely rock solid and feels really good.
    Surefire SFMB556 Muzzle Brake - This was a tough choice. I plan to get a SOCOM556 suppressor at some point so I went with a Surefire muzzle device. I chose the brake over the flash hider because I figured that once I have the suppressor, the downsides to the brake (ie noise and flash) will be a moot point. Then when I want to shoot a match, the brake will be much better to have than a FH.

Optics
    Leupold Mark 6 1-6x with CMR-W Reticle on Larue LT104 Mount- I'm used to Eotechs but really wanted to go with a low power variable. I chose the CMR-W reticle because I didn't intend this rifle to be a precision rifle. I wanted a simple BDC type of reticle. Something I could easily use to hold over. If anyone is considering this scope and wants more precision out of their rifle, the TMR reticle would be much more advantageous. The horseshoe/dot of the CMR-W reticle makes it difficult to make consistent long range shots, but it's fast and easy to use. I shot last weekend in the evening right through dusk and in to the night. The range had a few flood lights out to light up the targets, and the Mark 6 was amazingly bright. I could still easily see my 200 yard zero targets.
    Aimpoint Micro T1 4 MOA on Larue LT724 Offset Mount - Ok, here's where I get a lot of flack. But I'm really liking the set up so far. While I was in Afghanistan 2012-2013, I found there were some serious shortcomings with my issued Eotech 553 and FTS 3x magnifier. First off, the 3x was never quite enough mag to PID past 300 meters. Not only was 3x a little on the weak side, the optical quality of the magnifier was horrible. That's why I thought the Mark 6 would be so much nicer. The other issue I had was keeping my optics clean. I was constantly wiping my Eotech and magnifier to get dirt, dust, sweat, rain or whatever off the glass. Any crap on the glass made an already poor optic really bad. With a dual optic set up, I can keep the lens covers closed on the Mark 6 and still have the 1x T1 ready to go if I need to. Finally, the dual optic set up allows for very fast transitions from long range to scary close in fractions of a second. We have routinely been pulling security, scanning the horizon, then get engaged from inside of 50 meters. One time, we were engaged as close as 15 meters. This sighting system would allow me to scan the horizons on 6x, yet have a RDS ready to go if need be by simply canting the rifle about 30 degrees. So far I'm really liking the set up.

Furture Add Ons
    Surefire SOCOM556 Suppressor - It might be a little while before I get this. I'm due for a PCS. So I have to wait and see if I'll be staying or leaving.
    Noveske Keymod Offset Scout Light Mount - This will be purchased soon. I already have a M300 Mini Scout to go with the rifle.
    Noveske Keymod QD Sling Mount - This will also be purchased soon.
    Magpul MS3 Sling - I like this sling. Used it for a year in Afghanistan. It held up great, and I like the versatility. I typically had it in single point when actually making movement since this was the most likely time of taking contact. I like single points when actively shooting because it offers the most flexibility. However, once I had to do things with my hands, 2 point is the way to go.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my build. The rifle balances very nicely. A crude weight measurement of the rifle has it at 8.2 pounds without a magazine. The majority of the weight is in the rear third of the rifle. The front end feels very light, especially when comparing it to my LWRC M6A2 which is what I'm used to, and my issue M4 with all the crap we have to hang off of the rail. So even though it's a little on the heavier side, it feels much lighter. I consider myself a 2 MOA shooter at best, and I was shooting approximately 4 inches at 200 yards. So I'm confident that I'm definitely not out shooting my rifle. However, I would love to get someone who is consistently a sub MOA shooter to have a go with my rifle just to see what the rifles capability is. Any takers? I'll even supply the ammo. I haven't gotten to run and gun with the rifle yet. I plan on doing that this weekend. I really want to see what kind of splits I can get with the SD3G trigger, and I want to see how fast the Mark 6 is in comparison to my Eotech. I plan to run some drills to test the speed of the set up. I'll also bring out my Eotech and run a side by side comparison to see if a low power variable is any slower than a RDS.

So here are the pics:

I'd like to add that Adco did a great job on the pin/weld job of my Surefire brake, assembly of the upper, and drilling of the NSR index pin hole, and WW Guns Inc did an amazing job with the cerakoting and hydropping.

Here are a couple of target pics. The first is a 10 shot group at an 8" shoot-n-see target at 200 yards. The second is a standard M4 zero target at 50 yards. Both were shot with Blackhills 5.56 77 grain (MK262). As you can see this combo of ammo and rifle is dead on at 200 yards and 50 yards. I actually zeroed at 200 yards in order to make use of the CMR-W reticle.

I hope there is some useful information I put out in here. I'd love to hear some comments or questions about my rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my first actual post here, so I'll start by saying thanks for the site. I've read quite a bit already, and love learning about the AR since my experience is minimal. I built most of my rifle with exception of the upper which I bought complete (couldn't justify buying all the tools to the wife).

I bought a Yankee hill stripped lower from a guy at work. Only reason for that purchase was because its what he loved and he had several laying around his house. I then bought a DD lpk and downloaded the assembly video from Brownells and went to town. It was a valuable experience doing it myself, and luckily I only spent an hour on my hands and knees looking for detents that went flying. I attached a mil-spec CTR stock to the end and an H2 buffer, and went with the Magpul ASAP (drank the magpul kool-aide a bit). No fancy trigger yet, but its in the plans eventually.

The upper is also all DD. CHF 14.5" barrel with a Yankee hill muzzle pinned, and the 12" DD lite rail. I know what a lot of you will say about the muzzle being pinned, and I regret it a bit but not nearly enough to sell it. Oddly enough, I actually ordered the DD FDP rail, but they sent me the wrong thing. I ended up loving it, so it stayed. I kind of cheaped out on the sights and went with Magpul mbus sights which I don't care much for. At some point I'll pony up for some Troys. I then purchased an Aimpoint Pro, and a larue mount. This was after 1k rounds on the mbus sights so I was fairly proficient and not red dot reliant. The last thing I bought was a surefire m600c. I'd like to get an offset mount, but at this point I'm busy stockpiling ammo. I'm sure there will be some other upgrades down the road, but this is my first rifle and its a slow process for me. Busy shooting it now!

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that your duty rig?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uwone77, unfortunately no it isn't. My dept doesn't allow personal rifles/shotguns. They utilize antiquated rifles that are from WWII. Not really that old, but you get my meaning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsy64 View Post
    Uwone77, unfortunately no it isn't. My dept doesn't allow personal rifles/shotguns. They utilize antiquated rifles that are from WWII. Not really that old, but you get my meaning.

So what are you issued? Just out of curiosity...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So what are you issued? Just out of curiosity...
    Colt M4's modified to semi-auto obviously. They're circa 1950 with a 20" barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Assembled this after I got back from Afghanistan as a higher-end "go-to" gun. Pretty simple set up, honestly, which is what I desired. A reliable, reasonably light weight go-to gun. Still experimenting with it, I want to change the X300 out for one of the newer gen scout lights, (Higher output, more ergonomic, lighter and more durable.) and the Comp M4S out for a T1. (To save weight/bulk.) Also intend to add an IR laser, whenever I get night vision capabilities.
    Going front to back.
    Upper:
    Pinned AAC 51T FS. Didn't want the blast unsuppressed of a muzzle brake, intend to get a M4-2k some day soon.
    BCM BHF 14.5 inch midlength. Wanted the added durability of a hammer forged upper. I got a good price on it with a BCM BCG.
    URX-3 rail, because of the light weight and small diameter. The integrated front sight isn't my favorite thing for a few reasons, but it is functional as a BUIS, and saves me weight over a bolt on front sight. Removed the heat shield, because I never put my hand there, and it saved me about an ounce of weight.
    X300, got it for a good price, I have moved it around quite a few times, trying to find a position I like. I am presently experimenting with a remote switch again, I broke the light with a remote switch on it the first time I used it. I put a modified KAC rail panel underneath the remote battery cap in order to support it, as a result. I'm not a giant fan of this set up, but I am playing with it until I pick up a Scout light.
    Low pro rail covers, light and not bulky. I feel they do an adequate job.
    I modified a Glock floor plate and direct attached it to a hold in the bottom of the URX. Cheap, functional, and small hand stop.
    RSA: needed a front sling mount, it works and is small.
    Comp M4S. Bought it used for $500, I wanted a 2moa sight and I purchased it before the T1 2MOA was released. Looking to replace it soon.
    KAC 600m rear sight. Low profile, light weight, functional.
    Using a "prototype" marked BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle, for usual reasons. $25, and it works just as well for me as a production model.

Lower:
    JP LPK: Bought it because it's a quality kit and available without a trigger group.
    SSA: In my opinion, the best trigger out there. I'm extremely satisfied with it.
    Magpul polymer trigger guard: Low cost, and I needed an enlarged trigger guard because I often wear gloves when I shoot.
    BCM GFG Mod 1: Played with it at Rainier Arms when it first came out, it's the most comfortable pistol grip I've ever used, so I bought it right there. Chose FDE because I now live in NV, and black gets hot in the sun.
    Noveske 60 degree safety: Same story as the grip, bought it on the same day. I liked BADASS safeties, but I didn't like the price. It's a very crisp safety.
    Magpul ASAP plate: Does not bind the sling at all, I took an elastic band off an assault pack and slid down on the loop, and it kills the sound.
    Emdom Gunslinger Sling with HK hooks: Bought it because I wanted a lightweight 2-to-1 sling that was wide, but light weight. So far I am satisfied with it. Really dig the quick adjust, and 2-to-1 capability. HK hooks because I had extras.
    VLTOR buffer tube: Purchased because I wanted a quality buffer tube, and it was available. Not much story to it, honestly.
    Magpul MOE: Originally a VLTOR Clubfoot I got a good deal on, I never quite liked the cheekweld on the VLTOR, I am too used to the M16/M4 style stock, I guess. Bought the MOE because I liked the CTR, but didn't need the QD or the friction lock. Wanted to save the weight and the cost over the CTR, and got the MOE used. Chose FDE because I now live in NV, and black gets hot in the sun.
    Standard Carbine spring, I want to replace it with a Sprinco spring, but that's mostly to experiment with the claims of better running and longer service life.
    Carbine buffer: I admit to slacking here, I had the buffer and have been using it, to no ill effect. I need to put a heavier buffer in it, I am sure it is slightly overgassed.
    Lancer AWM mag: I have 6 of these I got for less than 10 bucks a piece. They're my favorite mags, although I have roughly 150 PMAGs put up, and quite a few USGI mags. I keep the AWMs loaded for HD.

All together, I built this rifle around the theme of being slim and lightweight, but retaining durability and functionality. I've got a few things I need to change to finish fulfilling that goal, but I have been in this configuration for a while. I've shot quite a few rounds with this rifle, it has proven to be accurate and reliable. Some changes need to be made, but that never ends.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Colt M16's modified to semi-auto obviously. They're circa 1960's (or so) with a 20" barrel.
    Fixed

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Fixed
    My bad. Meds must've worn off...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey there guys, new to the forums and saw this post and thought its an awesome concept. Sorry, only have one picture of my build. So here it is:

This rifle was built with 3-gun in mind, had a few carbines that would have worked fine but any excuse for a new rifle is a good excuse to me! When I build this rifle I was just getting into 3-gun and noticed I had a gap in my collection, our local matches love to put steel out around 3 and 400 yards and my carbines with red dots could do it but I wasn’t competitive. So I starting looking around at what other guys were shooting, what the pros were shooting and what I thought would work toward my style of shooting. I didn’t want to spend a fortune but still wanted a good looking, quality, light weight rifle that would last and wasn’t in a huge hurry to complete my build, so I just watch and waited for deals to come along. Sorry I don’t have more pictures but this one will have to do. So let’s start with the what’s and why’s, I’ll go from muzzle to butt stock.

Upper:
    I went with the PWS FSC556 break cause I had shot a few before and was really impressed with their performance and were not as loud as some of the other breaks out there (and not going to lie, I thought it looked pretty cool.) I knew I wanted a 18” mid-weight stainless fluted barrel with a 1-8 or 1-7 twists that could shoot 55’s and up. Found a good deal on the Wilson 18” 1-8 recon barrel that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for and couldn’t be happier. It’s a good stiff and light barrel that shoots 55-72 gr bullets with ease. When looking at hand guards, I wanted something that was light, grippe and smaller in diameter. I also wanted a long one since there is such a variety of barricades, props and positions used in matches. The Troy 15” rail was perfect, reasonably priced good texture for grip and smaller around so I can really get ahold of it (I have short stubby fingers.) For the upper, a buddy was selling a spikes matched receiver set and BCG for super cheap and I had heard good things about the company, so I bought them from him. Went with the Gunfight charging handle with the large latch for positive grip that I could operate quickly and with ease.

Lower:
    As stated above the receiver is spikes cause is was a screaming deal, and I have been really happy with the quality of their parts. I put the CMC 3.5# drop-in trigger unit in cause it the same trigger I have in my other AR rifles and I love them, they provide a clean crisp single stage pull and mine have lasted well. I went with the JP Low Mass buffer and their polished buffer spring for quiet and smooth functioning. I had a heavier buffer in it at first, and the switch really made a big difference in the mitigation of muzzle rise. For the stock I wanted something fixed but light and a little cheaper than the PRS, the Ace Skelton stock fit the bill and has been awesome. I went with the MIAD for the grip cause I really like them, the its nice for sweaty hands and fits my hand the best.

Optics/Mount:
    Ignore the front sight was just trying something out, I normally run the Magpul flips up sights as a back-up in case my scope was to break or mount falls off/comes loose. I like them case they are spring loaded and super-fast to deploy. When looking at scopes I wanted something that had a 1x or something close to it and went higher than 4x without breaking the bank. After looking at tons of different options I settled with the Burris MTAC 1.5-6, and have had really good luck with it so far, the hold overs work well for fast longer shots (300 yards.) The mount pictured has since been replaced and it came free with the scope. The optic now rests in a Larue one-piece quick detach, which I highly recommend. Was in the middle of a stage at a bigger match and despite using lock-tite and torqueing the screws on the Burris mount, my shots started stringing horizontally and then the scope just fell off. So needless to say I will forever be a Larue QD Mount user.

So that’s my 3-gun rifle, I am really happy with how it came out and how it functions. It’s nice and lite, moves fast and follow-up shots are breeze.
    Last edited by jacketjoed; 26 November 2013 at 06:57.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jacketjoed View Post
    Hey there guys, new to the forums and saw this post and thought its an awesome concept. Sorry, only have one picture of my build. So here it is:

This rifle was built with 3-gun in mind, had a few carbines that would have worked fine but any excuse for a new rifle is a good excuse to me! When I build this rifle I was just getting into 3-gun and noticed I had a gap in my collection, our local matches love to put steel out around 3 and 400 yards and my carbines with red dots could do it but I wasn’t competitive. So I starting looking around at what other guys were shooting, what the pros were shooting and what I thought would work toward my style of shooting. I didn’t want to spend a fortune but still wanted a good looking, quality, light weight rifle that would last and wasn’t in a huge hurry to complete my build, so I just watch and waited for deals to come along. Sorry I don’t have more pictures but this one will have to do. So let’s start with the what’s and why’s, I’ll go from muzzle to butt stock.

Upper:
    I went with the PWS FSC556 break cause I had shot a few before and was really impressed with their performance and were not as loud as some of the other breaks out there (and not going to lie, I thought it looked pretty cool.) I knew I wanted a 18” mid-weight stainless fluted barrel with a 1-8 or 1-7 twists that could shoot 55’s and up. Found a good deal on the Wilson 18” 1-8 recon barrel that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for and couldn’t be happier. It’s a good stiff and light barrel that shoots 55-72 gr bullets with ease. When looking at hand guards, I wanted something that was light, grippe and smaller in diameter. I also wanted a long one since there is such a variety of barricades, props and positions used in matches. The Troy 15” rail was perfect, reasonably priced good texture for grip and smaller around so I can really get ahold of it (I have short stubby fingers.) For the upper, a buddy was selling a spikes matched receiver set and BCG for super cheap and I had heard good things about the company, so I bought them from him. Went with the Gunfight charging handle with the large latch for positive grip that I could operate quickly and with ease.

Lower:
    As stated above the receiver is spikes cause is was a screaming deal, and I have been really happy with the quality of their parts. I put the CMC 3.5# drop-in trigger unit in cause it the same trigger I have in my other AR rifles and I love them, they provide a clean crisp single stage pull and mine have lasted well. I went with the JP Low Mass buffer and their polished buffer spring for quiet and smooth functioning. I had a heavier buffer in it at first, and the switch really made a big difference in the mitigation of muzzle rise. For the stock I wanted something fixed but light and a little cheaper than the PRS, the Ace Skelton stock fit the bill and has been awesome. I went with the MIAD for the grip cause I really like them, the its nice for sweaty hands and fits my hand the best.

Optics/Mount:
    Ignore the front sight was just trying something out, I normally run the Magpul flips up sights as a back-up in case my scope was to break or mount falls off/comes loose. I like them case they are spring loaded and super-fast to deploy. When looking at scopes I wanted something that had a 1x or something close to it and went higher than 4x without breaking the bank. After looking at tons of different options I settled with the Burris MTAC 1.5-6, and have had really good luck with it so far, the hold overs work well for fast longer shots (300 yards.) The mount pictured has since been replaced and it came free with the scope. The optic now rests in a Larue one-piece quick detach, which I highly recommend. Was in the middle of a stage at a bigger match and despite using lock-tite and torqueing the screws on the Burris mount, my shots started stringing horizontally and then the scope just fell off. So needless to say I will forever be a Larue QD Mount user.

So that’s my 3-gun rifle, I am really happy with how it came out and how it functions. It’s nice and lite, moves fast and follow-up shots are breeze.
    The picture isn't showing up, but it sounds like a solid build.

Downloads
    Uploads