Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    So what if you own a BMW and a Mercedes?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So what if you own a BMW and a Mercedes?!
    Well that's easy...Mercedes would go to the wife.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW already lost that battle, I think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    UW already lost that battle, I think.
    That's a fact... Says my 6 year old E70!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, new here. "Finished" my build about a month ago. Ruger stripped lower, built with Anderson Manufacturing parts kit, an ATI buffer, and a Magpul adjustable stock. The upper is from Valor Industries and is a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. I don't know the brand of the BCG, but it seems like a solid piece. I'm using 10 rnd Pmags. Future plans include a red-dot sight of some kind and a different trigger group. Money is tight, so I have to go slow on this. So far, so good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 67 View Post
    Hi, new here. "Finished" my build about a month ago. Ruger stripped lower, built with Anderson Manufacturing parts kit, an ATI buffer, and a Magpul adjustable stock. The upper is from Valor Industries and is a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. I don't know the brand of the BCG, but it seems like a solid piece. I'm using 10 rnd Pmags. Future plans include a red-dot sight of some kind and a different trigger group. Money is tight, so I have to go slow on this. So far, so good.
    Welcome to the forum Frank.

Feel free to post your new rifle!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Adcor BEAR Elite.

I was really interested in piston guns when I started shooting AR's. This one had a few good write ups and I bought into the hype. Pretty soon I started to realize that for nearly every unique feature there was some particular drawback.

The op rod attached to the bcg prevents carrier tilt, and the proprietary spring loaded dust wipe on the side of the bcg seals out and clears out crud. But the handguard has to house that op rod and the charging handle, and it is very heavy.

The lower is just a Palmetto State Armory. Safety selector is Noveske ambi with the SCAR style levers and a short throw. Grip is Magpul MOE K2 for more vertical grip, stock is MOE SL with qd sockets. I like to run a 2 point sling from the front of the handguard to the rear of the stock, so I have used stocks which had an integral qd socket, from a CTR to a Bravo B5 to this one. Trigger is an ALG ACT, and is as nice a trigger as my limited skills earn me. Sights are just Magpul MBUS gen 1, haven't ever gone with anything else on this rifle because weight is definitely a factor.

I always want to be able to run a sling and a white light, and this rifle made both difficult. The handguard is built like a tank and is seriously heavy, partly because it houses an apparatus for a reversible forward charging handle. Not being able to use the forward charging handle kind of defeats the purpose of having an Adcor BEAR, so you can't really attach anything on the handguard on the support hand side, not even rail ladders for the cheese grater.

In the name of simplicity I didn't want to do a tape switch, so light placement was a real problem. I ended up using an IWC Thorntail, which kept the light tucked in tight at the 11:00 but also cantilevered it forward, leaving the charging handle and handguard usable. It is mounted as far forward as it can be with the front MBUS right behind it. The light is a Solarforce L2M with just one CR123 and a momentary / Surefire tailcap switch.

Mounting the forward qd socket was a problem because of, again, the charging handle issue. Like I said, the handguard is rock solid so I was able to use one of those tiny IWC qd sockets mounted to the weird collar coming off the front of the handguard. I can push my hand forward into the sling and then use my thumb to actuate the light. The sling I'm using is an Ares Armor Amentum "Huskey" sling.

The optic is a Vortex SPARC with, I think an ARMS qd mount? And a lower 1/3 co-witness.

This rifle shoots well, although it's my heaviest AR so it lives in the safe a lot. Having all that heavy, heavy cheese grater rail is a slap in the face knowing that I can't really mount anything on either side; anyone considering buying one should definitely go with the keymod version, which I really hope is lighter. It's the most expensive upper I own too. But I can't quite regret buying it. It took me a while to get it set up the way I wanted, but I feel like I learned a lot with it, and it has proven very reliable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by murphy.kenji; 15 April 2017 at 19:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  ar-15-3.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  1.90 MB Here it is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 67 View Post
    Name:  ar-15-3.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  1.90 MB Here it is.
    One suggestion.

Magpul doesn't recommend putting their MBUS's on railed gas blocks. Also the front sight is on backwards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you refer to the MBUS, do you mean the forestock? If so, that's how it came from the manufacturer. The front sight was installed by the guy at the gun shop. I know he put the rear on backwards and I fixed that. I'll fix the front one too. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The MBUS is the front sight. They will melt on a railed gas block with heavy use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, ok. Sorry for my ignorance. The sights are cheap Magpul knockoffs. $22 for the set. I turned the front sight around, but now it won't close down due to the ears of the sight hitting the raised section at the end of the forestock. I guess I'll break out the Dremel and cut them down a bit. Thanks for helping the newbie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your gun shop is puttng sights on backwards, and on a railed gas block, you may want to find a more knowledgeable shop. Aside from the possibility of melting, the block height is usually lower than the height of a picatinny rail. When zeroing, you will probably run out of elevation due to this height difference. Troy and Midwest Indistries make a flip up sight that will correct this height difference and won't melt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I was able to get it zeroed to 50 ft. but barely. I'm just going to use these until I can get a red dot sight for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like you might be able to move your rear sight back a notch or two as well...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.