Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, as it is, I had to grind down the ears of the sight a bit so I could close it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Frank 67,

Just to clarify,

1) Make sure first that your gas block is the same height as your receiver. The sights you have now are intended for mounting on a free float handguard which is the same height as your receiver or on a gas block which is the same height as your receiver. Some rifles, such as the DPMS Oracle for example, have a lower height rail on their gas block and need a taller front sight to compensate. Your gas block appears to be the same height as your receiver but you should make sure.

2) You should invest in at least halfway decent metal sights. This is more important than buying a red dot. Sell your PTS MBUS sights to a nice, earnest airsofter on fleabay and pick out some reputable sights. You don't have to spend a mint but get some which aren't junk.

If you must buy chinese / cheap, UTG has a new set of flip ups. The rear one is the sight which comes OEM on the Springfield Armory Saint rifle.

There aren't many (if any) chinese- made sights which won't frustrate the hell out of you later.

I guess you could get by with something like these:

But something by Troy, GG&G, Midwest Ind. etc is far better. They don't necessarily have to fold down, either.

3) Does your handguard have any metal in it? I feel like I've seen / handled those handguards and they didn't. Your handguard probably should have at least a thin metal heat shield of some sort.

4. Red dot is not as important as a sling and (to me at least) a white light. Figure what kind of sling you want to run and how you want to mout your light.

5) Not trying to break your balls. Cool rifle, want you to go straight to awesome instead of learning the hard way like most of us probably did.
    Last edited by murphy.kenji; 16 April 2017 at 21:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. White light mount is on my wish list. Slings though, I see so many types it tends to overwhelm me, it might be worth a whole other thread to discuss those. I've never had one nor do I know how to use one. I haven't looked too closely at it to whether the hand guard has a heat shield or not. I'll do that tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, couldn't wait, just looked. There is a heat shield.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't get too wrapped up on the sling unless you plan to be moving and shooting and/or employing a secondary. If you're just having fun plinking from the bench (and there's nothing wrong with that), for now, the money spent on a sling could be better spent on some decent irons or a RDS.

Personally, as a new AR owner, I'd learn the gun and shoot it for a bit, seeing what it likes and does before worrying about attaching it to my body.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a good resource:
    The Basics of the Fighting Carbine

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/...ic.php?t=49276
    Last edited by murphy.kenji; 17 April 2017 at 20:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 67 View Post
    Thanks. I was able to get it zeroed to 50 ft. but barely. I'm just going to use these until I can get a red dot sight for it.
    If on a tight budget, the Primary Arms micro red dot sights are good for the money: http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...-2016-md-rbgii

Word of warning, though: you'll likely strip at least one screw when changing mounts, so have a "Grabit" or e-z-out handy.

For a bit more money, the Holosuns are better and are what you get if you buy a Sig or Primary Arms "Advanced".

That said, if you can swing $400, wait for an Aimpoint PRO to go on sale.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have my eye on a sight, can't remember the brand right now, that's on sale for $150, normally $250. It has 4 different options. A standard red dot, a red donut shape, a vertical arrow shape and a vertical t-shape. It uses a stand AA battery. Seems like a good sight for the money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 67 View Post
    I have my eye on a sight, can't remember the brand right now, that's on sale for $150, normally $250. It has 4 different options. A standard red dot, a red donut shape, a vertical arrow shape and a vertical t-shape. It uses a stand AA battery. Seems like a good sight for the money.
    Sounds like the Lucid: http://www.primaryarms.com/lucid-hd7...ot-sight-l-hd7

I forgot about those, but that should also be a good choice. As good or better than the Holosun, I suspect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, it looks a lot like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I got one and it seems pretty solid. I'm going to zero it in on Wednesday. If I were to complain about anything, it would be that it's fairly heavy and their "tan" is closer to olive green. I'm talking about the Lucid red dot sight. I haven't addressed the iron sight issue yet.
    Last edited by Frank 67; 9 May 2017 at 08:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy.kenji View Post
    2) You should invest in at least halfway decent metal sights. This is more important than buying a red dot. Sell your PTS MBUS sights to a nice, earnest airsofter on fleabay and pick out some reputable sights. You don't have to spend a mint but get some which aren't junk.

If you must buy chinese / cheap, UTG has a new set of flip ups. The rear one is the sight which comes OEM on the Springfield Armory Saint rifle.

Just wanted to throw my .02 in.
    UTG is local to me and I asked my LGS (who is nearly across the street from UTG and has a good relationship with them) to get a set in so I could look at them.

For being what they are, they're nice sights. I plan on getting a set now that I've played with them.
    They're like the Canik of sights. If they were made in USA or had a different brand name on them, they'd be more money and people would like them.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Just wanted to throw my .02 in.
    UTG is local to me and I asked my LGS (who is nearly across the street from UTG and has a good relationship with them) to get a set in so I could look at them.

For being what they are, they're nice sights. I plan on getting a set now that I've played with them.
    They're like the Canik of sights. If they were made in USA or had a different brand name on them, they'd be more money and people would like them.
    So you finger fondled them for a few minutes and determined they were GTG?

If only they weren't shit and made in the USA... LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just put the last piece of my first AR on today. Anderson lower, aero upper (wish I woulda done an aero lower too...but it was bought before I knew what I was doing...but I'm hopeful it'll be decent) bravo company LPK, QD end plate, some no name buffer tube, spring, and buffer...trinity maybe? I don't remember... 16" BA SPR stainless .223 wylde, 15" aero enhanced mlok handguard, aero nitride bcg, and a standard birdcage. Magpul CTR buttstock and MBUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    Just put the last piece of my first AR on today. Anderson lower, aero upper (wish I woulda done an aero lower too...but it was bought before I knew what I was doing...but I'm hopeful it'll be decent) bravo company LPK, QD end plate, some no name buffer tube, spring, and buffer...trinity maybe? I don't remember... 16" BA SPR stainless .223 wylde, 15" aero enhanced mlok handguard, aero nitride bcg, and a standard birdcage. Magpul CTR buttstock and MBUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not bad.

Looking forward to the range report.