Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kyle would approve with the Anderson lower...

Congrats on the first build, now go shoot it and repeat...as we all know, one leads to more...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like it, poimen. Is that the BCM PNT trigger? I think that setup will serve you well. I wouldn't worry about the Anderson lower-the fact that you were able to assemble it means you're probably just fine. A lower doesn't have to do a whole lot to "perform". It basically just holds the trigger and magazine in place.

Have fun with it and let us know how that BA barrel performs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I like it, poimen. Is that the BCM PNT trigger? I think that setup will serve you well. I wouldn't worry about the Anderson lower-the fact that you were able to assemble it means you're probably just fine. A lower doesn't have to do a whole lot to "perform". It basically just holds the trigger and magazine in place.

Have fun with it and let us know how that BA barrel performs.
    It is the pnt. It feels very nice! I haven't shot a lot of rifles but I can already tell this one is smoother. Anxious to get to the range Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just curious, what's the difference between the coating of the pnt trigger and the np3 bcg's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am going to play along with my .223 Saiga since it's near completion. This is a pistol in Michigan so everything is based around that essentially. It is my "truck/trunk" gun as I can carry it with a mag in it, being a pistol. It's nice to be able to just toss it in the car and go.

I had an AR15 magwell installed so I can use plentiful and relatively cheap mags. 5.56 AK mags are expensive and at times hard to find. Plus I was having some feeding issues with the THREE gullet guides that I'd tried.

I cut the barrel back to 14.5 and pinned a Griffin Armament brake for shorten it up a tad. Thought I was going to go supressor route and may again in the future but those plans are scrubbed for the moment.

I had the Zhukov furniture on it but 1. the forend was heavy and 2. the stock had issues. Lightened it up with a alum rail out front and added the bonesteel folding stock for ruggedness.

Arisaka 300 light.

Currently only have the Primary Arms micro on it and hope to upgrade at some point. The RDS is riding on an RS regulate mount. (Though I have a Midwest now that I'll be playing with too).

She's a little on the hefty side, compared to an AR but only slightly heavier than a 16" M4 barreled AR with a FF handguard.

Changes Planned:
    I'd like to change to an MLOK rail at some point along with upgrading the optic. Might try the magpul K2 AK grip since I love it so much on ARs. Krebs safety is a must and MAY swap the brake from Krebs' muzzle device system.

Truck Gun by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Bonesteel by Damage Photos, on Flickr
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

2A Armament - Balios Lite Gen 1 Receiver, Gen 1 BL-Rail MLOK 12", Aluminum Barrel nut
    American Defense Manufacturing - Recon 30mm with Tac Levers
    Arisaka Defense QD Mount, Offset Scout Mount
    AXTS/Radian Weapons - Talon
    Bravo Company - Gunfighter Mod 3 grip
    Faxon Firearms - 16" Midlength Gunner profile barrel, Gunner Ultralight BCG
    Forward Controls Design - EMR-A, EMR, ABC/R V2 556
    Geissele SCH 556
    Geissele SD-E
    Griffin Armament M2 sights
    JP Enterprises - Silent Captured Spring
    Magpul - MLOK VFG, MLOK Type 2 Rail covers
    Mission First Tactical - Minimalist
    Primary Weapon Systems - EBT Mod 2
    Superlative Arms - Clamp-on bleed off gas block
    Strike Industries - J-Comp V2, Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover
    Streamlight - Protac Rail HL-X
    V7 Weapons - Ultralight takedown pin set
    Vortex Optics - PST Gen II 1-6
    ----------------Weight as seen - 7.676lbs---------------
    Just completed this build. The concept was 3 gun inspired "all-purpose" with parts seen on this forum and/or sold by the forum's sponsors. Lightweight because I know I was going to add a bunch of heavy stuff to it without going overboard (imo). I might change around some things such as the stock, the muzzle device and optic. It's my first foray into the low powered variable optics and I didn't want to splurge on the Razor 1-6 (arguably the best LPV on the market). Rumor has it, there will be a Razor AMG 1-8 in the future but so far the PST Gen 2 1-6 isn't too bad. It has a very minute amount of chromatic abberation. I have astigmatism which makes an Aimpoint T1 red dot look like an apostrohpe to me hence the LPV. Streamlight protac rather than Surefire scout because of lumen, candela and the ability to use 18650 batteries for training. Not sure if I want to add a DBAL A4 (waiting on real world reviews) or go with the BE Meyers MAWL. The stock snags my left arm when transitioning to a pistol from time to time (at home). I haven't tried it at the range with live fire so not sure about the stock and what I would switch to, but the minimalist was the first choice because simply because of weight. J-comp V2 is my first jump into muzzle brakes. Depending on how annoying it is, I might switch this out to a FCD 6315 or 1815 (no suppressors in my state yet ). Superlative Arms gas block instead of the Syrac (now out of business) or the SLR Rifleworks because I wanted to try the bleed off concept and I saw it on this forum. Too bad there was no titanium version of the gas block. Faxon barrel in 16" midlength because of profile, midlength gas because of impulse/dwell, and length because SBR in my area is a PITA and because they made the gunner bcg which was cheaper than the V7 titanium bcg and I wanted to match the barrel/bolt manufacturer. I would've gone with the Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel if Aero Precision made a low mass bcg. Griffin M2 sights because I'm not sure if I would've like the 45 offset sight idea and I could swap out as necessary. JP SCS to mix with the adjustable gas block and low mass bcg for impulse tuning (the 3 gun aspect). BCM Grip because it's comfortable. Geissele trigger because it was on sale at the time, otherwise I think I would've tried the CMC 2 stage flat face. Arisaka Defense because of weight. Forward Controls Design parts because I like small subtle design cues with tangible benefits (the parts feel great to my fingers). V7 Weapons pins - because meh why not.
    (Sorry, there's a lot of run on sentences...)
    Last edited by Evintos; 4 August 2017 at 17:30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Evintos View Post

2A Armament - Balios Lite Gen 1 Receiver, Gen 1 BL-Rail MLOK 12", Aluminum Barrel nut
    American Defense Manufacturing - Recon 30mm with Tac Levers
    Arisaka Defense QD Mount, Offset Scout Mount
    AXTS/Radian Weapons - Talon
    Bravo Company - Gunfighter Mod 3 grip
    Faxon Firearms - 16" Midlength Gunner profile barrel, Gunner Ultralight BCG
    Forward Controls Design - EMR-A, EMR, ABC/R V2 556
    Geissele SCH 556
    Geissele SD-E
    Griffin Armament M2 sights
    JP Enterprises - Silent Captured Spring
    Magpul - MLOK VFG, MLOK Type 2 Rail covers
    Mission First Tactical - Minimalist
    Primary Weapon Systems - EBT Mod 2
    Superlative Arms - Clamp-on bleed off gas block
    Strike Industries - J-Comp V2, Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover
    Streamlight - Protac Rail HL-X
    V7 Weapons - Ultralight takedown pin set
    Vortex Optics - PST Gen II 1-6
    ----------------Weight as seen - 7.676lbs---------------
    Just completed this build. The concept was 3 gun inspired "all-purpose" with parts seen on this forum and/or sold by the forum's sponsors. Lightweight because I know I was going to add a bunch of heavy stuff to it without going overboard (imo). I might change around some things such as the stock, the muzzle device and optic. It's my first foray into the low powered variable optics and I didn't want to splurge on the Razor 1-6 (arguably the best LPV on the market). Rumor has it, there will be a Razor AMG 1-8 in the future but so far the PST Gen 2 1-6 isn't too bad. It has a very minute amount of chromatic abberation. I have astigmatism which makes an Aimpoint T1 red dot look like an apostrohpe to me hence the LPV. Streamlight protac rather than Surefire scout because of lumen, candela and the ability to use 18650 batteries for training. Not sure if I want to add a DBAL A4 (waiting on real world reviews) or go with the BE Meyers MAWL. The stock snags my left arm when transitioning to a pistol from time to time (at home). I haven't tried it at the range with live fire so not sure about the stock and what I would switch to, but the minimalist was the first choice because simply because of weight. J-comp V2 is my first jump into muzzle brakes. Depending on how annoying it is, I might switch this out to a FCD 6315 or 1815 (no suppressors in my state yet ). Superlative Arms gas block instead of the Syrac (now out of business) or the SLR Rifleworks because I wanted to try the bleed off concept and I saw it on this forum. Too bad there was no titanium version of the gas block. Faxon barrel in 16" midlength because of profile, midlength gas because of impulse/dwell, and length because SBR in my area is a PITA and because they made the gunner bcg which was cheaper than the V7 titanium bcg and I wanted to match the barrel/bolt manufacturer. I would've gone with the Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel if Aero Precision made a low mass bcg. Griffin M2 sights because I'm not sure if I would've like the 45 offset sight idea and I could swap out as necessary. JP SCS to mix with the adjustable gas block and low mass bcg for impulse tuning (the 3 gun aspect). BCM Grip because it's comfortable. Geissele trigger because it was on sale at the time, otherwise I think I would've tried the CMC 2 stage flat face. Arisaka Defense because of weight. Forward Controls Design parts because I like small subtle design cues with tangible benefits (the parts feel great to my fingers). V7 Weapons pins - because meh why not.
    (Sorry, there's a lot of run on sentences...)
    Nice! Also nice to see this thread getting some love. How's it shooting for you? I've got something conceptually VERY close to this in mind, only suppressed.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Nice! Also nice to see this thread getting some love. How's it shooting for you? I've got something conceptually VERY close to this in mind, only suppressed.
    Thank you!

Just completed this today and Aug 10th will be my first time shooting this build. I'm hoping the muzzle rise/recoil impulse of this build will be better than that of a Daniel Defense DDM4V7 with H buffer (A2 flash hider) and DD bcg and BCM 16" Midlength with H2 buffer (A2 flash hider) and BCM bcg. So far I've tried a friend's low mass bcg without a brake (with a SLR Sentry 7) and I would say it had maybe 10% less muzzle movement than the DD and BCM (maybe the difference was much more significant but I'm not good enough to discern a much larger difference). If there was less rearward push/recoil I didn't notice but the low mass/no brake combo felt "snappier/sharper" (for lack of better words) whereas the DD and BCM felt "smoother/gentler". Only other way I can describe my experience is liken to that of Glock 21 (sharper but not Glock 22 sharp) vs Springfield Armory GI 1911 (smooth).

The weight balance for this build (loaded with a 30rd PMAG M3) is right behind the front take down pin. My friend's low mass/agb no brake build that I've shot was muzzle heavy which I suspect contributed slightly to less muzzle rise. So if the low mass operating system with the brake is even 80% close to the description I've often read (recoil/muzzle rise being that of a .22lr) I'll be more than satisfied. With this overall lightweight build combined with the low mass operating system though, I'm not sure how it'll go in terms of muzzle movement. Also the SCS definitely makes it feel smoother than a traditional buffer/spring combo, but whether or not I can feel it during live fire is another story. Crossing my fingers for full size 9mm 1911 type smooth recoil impulse with Ruger 10/22 like rearward push/muzzle movement. I'll be sure to update this thread sometime next week.
    Last edited by Evintos; 4 August 2017 at 19:29.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good looking rifle. I've been wanting to try a Viper 1-6 myself.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update after the range:

1. Superlative Arms gas block + low mass operating system isn't really a good combo imo (I wouldn't recommend it unless going normal mass). With the bleed off function, I had to set it out pretty much towards the end in order to get the bolt to not lock to the rear on empty. The restrictive setting of this gas block, imo, is too coarse. During tuning, I would've liked an in between setting. As of right now, brass ejects to the 3:30ish position (was aiming for 4 o'clock) with lighter load IMI Systems M193 (cartridge weight 11grams) and a little closer to 3 o'clock with IMI Systems M193 that weighs 12-13 grams and I'm using the restrictive gas mode. If I restrict the gas block by one detent click, 11 grams would fail to lock back on empty but will cycle. There was no carbon seizing but I didn't let the adjustment screw sit overnight. Any future builds I do will be with the SLR Rifleworks gas block. 85*F, sunny. Totally forgot to bring a chronograph. I'm not happy with the setting but I can live with it. I will test this setting when winter comes and it's 0*F and see if anything changes gas setting wise. If I remember, I'll do an update on the gas block.

2. Strike Industries J-Comp V2 is loud. Sounds like a 20" Remington 700 308. At an outdoor range, to my ears, it was louder when behind the rifle shooting than when standing next to it approximately 3' away. Muzzle blast/concussion wasn't bad at all. About double a Dead Air Armament flash hider if standing directly next to the ports. If slightly behind the ports, it was similar to the flash hider.

3. Recoil - with the 11 gram cartridge M193, it was definitely .22lr. Reward recoil reminded me of a Ruger 10/22. I didn't think a brake would make that much of a difference. With the 12 and 13g, I noticed a small but greater rearward force than with the 11 gram. It was no longer .22lr like with hotter M193.

4. Muzzle movement - it's definitely no .22lr in that department but compared to a low mass + agb + flash hider combo, the combo with a brake on it had significantly less muzzle movement. I would say it's 75% less muzzle movement than the flash hider combo. I can definitely see why competition guys would go for this type of set up. Sight tracking was freakishly easy. Side note: I don't do the arms forward/c-clamp/costa grip/whatever it's called. Although I probably should've tried it to see if it would've given me that .22lr muzzle movement.

5. JP Silent Captured Spring - smooth, real smooth. Also quiet.

6. Viper PST Gen 2 - No opinion as of yet. Clear glass, minute amount of chromatic aberration noticed (as previously mentioned). I didn't notice any optical quality issue at 1x indoors or outdoors out to 100yds. At 6x and greater than 50yds is when I noticed the aberration. Contrast at 100yds, not sure if it was because of all the mirage or the smoke tinted Revision Sawfly I was wearing but contrast was slightly lacking (color looked flat, Rust-oleum Hiviz/construction orange spray paint looked dull). Today's impression means nothing to me since it was clear skies and sunny at the range. If I remember, I'll try to update this post or my original post when I can get some time behind the optic in less than ideal weather conditions. (Weather.com forecast stated cloudy-partially cloudy. Forecast was once again, wrong.). Indoors (under 30yds) it's all clear, no abnormalities noticed even at 6x.

7. Faxon barrel - 3 shot - 1/2 mrad group with IMI M193 which is statistically insignificant (mixed 11-13gram weight). Multiple 5 shot groups (also statistically insignificant) 1.2-1.3 mrad groups. Wasn't testing for accuracy today so I didn't break a tape measure. Group sizes were eyeballed with a Bushnell Legend T 781545ED.
    Last edited by Evintos; 10 August 2017 at 19:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi folks, signed up today after this forum was suggested to me by Joelski. I figured I'd make my first post with a recce-ish build I put together a couple years ago.

Name:  QWQh5Qg.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  1.51 MB

Upper:
    Aero Precision complete upper
    Ballistic Advantage 16" mid length gas govt profile barrel
    Aero Precision low profile gas block and mid length gas tube
    Aero Precision nitride BCG
    Standard A2 flash suppressor
    15" YHM Todd Jarrett Competition rail
    Magpul AFG
    Magpul front QD sling point

Lower:
    Surplus Ammo and Arms lower
    DPMS LPK w/ JP reduced power enhanced reliability trigger springs. Also ran a set screw up the grip hole to adjust out the travel.
    Magpul QD endplate
    Milspec receiver extension, buffer and spring from Aero Precision
    LMT SOPMOD stock
    Magpul MS4 sling

Optic/sights:
    Trijicon ACOG TA31RCO-M4CP
    Magpul MBUS

I built this rifle as a lighter weight "woodsgun" for hiking and hunting hogs, coyotes and whitetails. I've got two 200# feral hogs with it this summer and it's more than lived up to my needs and wants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice stick bro, cool that you get to hunt with it. Hogs aren't the problem they are down your way. Coyotes aren't subject to Ohio's straight-walled cartridge rule, but since the local land fill was reclaimed and moved, pickings are kinda slim for varmint blasting. My buddy's land used to border one side and we grew up hunting out pack after pack of coyotes and wild dogs with our AR's, back in the bad kid days.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks bro! Luckily the coyotes are pretty sparse on the place I hunt in Mississippi so at least they aren't affecting the deer much, but the hogs have moved in like a plague. When I started hunting there in 2010 they were unheard of in the area then four years ago during the summer drought they came in and stayed. My buddy sent a pic this week of a boar that'll probably go 350+, hoping I'll break in my Aero M5 on him!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Send bacon!

I wish we could use shouldered cartridges here, but the deer are so thick here, I can take them with a pocket knife. Not really sporting, using an MSR, but something's gotta happen. At least in the country we can get land owner/ population thinning permits. We pile 'em high the years those are offered!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to WEVO. Nice first post, and very nice build !
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"