Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ballistic,

I like your overall configuration, but was curious to what extent your AWB-concerns colored your choices. You didn't really address it, but I take it you're in one of our blue states?

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Ballistic,

I like your overall configuration, but was curious to what extent your AWB-concerns colored your choices. You didn't really address it, but I take it you're in one of our blue states?

AC
    I live in Massachusetts and our AWB went into effect in 1998 and mirrors the wording of 1994 Federal Assault Weapons ban with the exception that ours didn't expire in 2004. Anything built after the effective date must conform .

My main concerns were to find a fixed stock and "permanently attached" BATF approved muzzle device that suited my needs. I wanted the shortest overall length possible and prefer short stocks, so it came down to the Sully or ACE entry stock as my final candidates.

I wanted a mid-length upper for this build and contemplated a 14.5" barrel with permanently attached muzzle device to make it non-NFA. My top choice was a Noveske 14.5" Afghan, but availability played a role when I called Rainier Arms and they had the Sabre Defence in stock and Afghans are and have been as rare as hen's teeth in this climate. The DNTC compensator has excellent recoil and muzzle compensation but isn't as loud as other compensators. I'll be using this rifle in Carbine classes, so I wanted to be kind to my line-mates.
    Last edited by ballistic; 29 March 2009 at 05:42.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I think you've effectively proven with this build that "compliant" need not mean "neutered."

Nicely done!

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I think you've effectively proven with this build that "compliant" need not mean "neutered."

Nicely done!

AC
    Thanks Chief!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will post pics when I get them taken - but here's my current patrol setup:

Bushmaster XM15
    Magpul CTR Stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Daniel Defense 12" Omega (I ground down my FSB and repainted it)
    Midwest Industries flip up BUIS: rear is same plane low profile, front is HK style hooded
    Aimpoint Comp ML3 with Bobro 150 mount (this is a sweet mount)
    Tango Down QD VFG
    Surefire Millenium 6V light, with constant thumb switch AND pressure pad in the VFG
    Vortex flash hider
    Vickers Combat Sling

The furniture is Foliage green. I know it doesn't really give me any kind of advantage in an urban setting, but it looks cool. CDI factor is important to keep in mind when building a rifle

This is all held firmly in place in my patrol car in a Santa Cruz mount behind the front seats. It looks sweet and scares people.

This rifle is finally set up the way I want it. I went through a lot of "good enough" parts and wasted a lot of money. I'll briefly talk about what I had and why I changed:

CAA Stock; this is an okay stock and had CR123 battery storage. I switched to the CTR for the firmness when locked and the CDI factor.

Eotech 512 rev. F; nothing wrong with this sight. I bought it because that's what everyone else seemed to have. I shot a few Aimpoints and discovered I liked them a lot more. A single dot was easier on the eyes than the Eotech reticle. Plus I can leave my Aimpoint ML3 on and change the battery once every Presidential Election.... Actually I'll probably change it once a year or so just to be safe.

Daniel Defense Omega 7.0; Great rail, and I'd probably buy it again if I didn't shave my FSB. I prefer flip up front sights to get out of the way of my optic. So I had a FSB with a 7" rail and a flip up sight. This looked kind of tacky and shortened my sight base just slightly. The 12" rail looks way cooler on there, plus the 12" puts my light out further and gives me more fore-end real estate to grab onto.

Tango Down VFG (non QD); I liked the Tango Down because it was firm, has a pressure pad pocket, and parts storage. I hated it because it was a pain in the arse to put on and take off the rail.

I simply swapped the A2 birdcage hider out for the Vortex for flash suppression purposes and CDI factor.

GG&G rear flip-up BUIS; I loved the sight, it was the push-button spring loaded sight with night sights. I hated it because it was not same-plane. After thinking about it, I never could figure out why someone would NOT want a same-plane sight.

The only thing I am considering changing at this point is buying a Colt 6920 and swapping it all over (and yes I would grind the Colt FSB as well)

I have to take some pics and get them posted. I'll try to make them look as cool as Stickman's and zero7one's photos. Probably not

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OfcPowder View Post
    GG&G rear flip-up BUIS; I loved the sight, it was the push-button spring loaded sight with night sights. I hated it because it was not same-plane. After thinking about it, I never could figure out why someone would NOT want a same-plane sight.
    I'm sure with you on that. I think that a lot of BUIS are equipped with the standard A2 type peep, simply due to cost and many folks not understanding the difference between the two configurations. For the vast majority of shooters, the same plane aperture makes a lot more sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

Stick,
    If you have the time, would you mind breaking down whats in this rig? Since you posted it, it has become my end all rifle. Awesome.
    I got magpul stock and grip.
    is that 10.5?
    Vltor upper?
    Who sells that ready mag setup?
    Optic? Looks pricey
    Thanks...

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I can see, it looks like an AAC SPR/M4 flash suppressor, VLTOR CASV handguard w/Ergo/Falcon Ind. rail section(s), ADS mount and a Trijicon 1-4x AccuPoint.

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 6 April 2009 at 11:11.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I can see, it looks like an AAC SPR/M4 flash suppressor, VLTOR CASV handguard w/Ergo/Falcon Ind. rail section(s), ADS mount and a Trijicon 1-4x AccuPoint.

AC
    thank you sir.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To add on to AC's comments on Stickman's equipment:
    Extra Mag holder: Redi-Mod (Blue Force Gear's modified Redi Mag).

Flash Hider: Looks like the AAC Blackout.. which probably is the other name for what AC called it.

Stock: Magpul UBR

BUIS: I'm not sure.. but you can tell the front and rear are fold downs. The front is combination gasblock & folddown front sight. The rear fold down.. I keep wanting to say Midwest Industries, but don't think that's it. Probably can find out what they are in Stickman's post on the different front & rear BUIS thread he wrote.. lots of good pics

The trigger is a Geissele.. great trigger.. personally own 3 of them.

Charging handle looks like a PRi Gas Buster.

Hmm.. Don't know who manufactures the upper.. top rail looks funny to me.. like the rail was added on top of another?? Definitely doesn't look like a monolithic rail..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Clarification:

AAC SPR/M4 is a Blackout suppressor; merely one that is designed for the SPR/M4 suppressor.

The VLTOR CASV handguard accounts for the extended rail appearance. Take a look at this unit, and you will see what I'm talking about -- the extended portion mounts atop the standard upper's rail, which both mounts the handguard and presents a contguous rail.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads

Pics as promised

Alright, as promised, here are pics of my above mentioned layout. Nothing fancy, just me and my camera shooting my zombie killer.

In the rack of my popo car:

People driving behind me see this:

And for the lucky customers who get a free ride :

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personallized squad car.. very nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    Personallized squad car.. very nice.
    Yes we are fortunate enough to have assigned take-home cars on our department. It's great because I don't have to pay for gas, I don't have to unload stuff at the end of shift, and it can be a crime deterrent. It sucks when it breaks down and you have to be without it for a few days while in the shop (not that I've ever dropped a transmission or blew the bearings on my rear axle or anything )

Downloads
    Uploads
    OfcPowder - What is that on your PMAGs? It looks like some sort of gritty tape, maybe skateboard tape?
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram