Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My current setup:

'Yote

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my rifle:

It is a DDM4, with a few changes made. RA was kind enough to install a FSC556 and Magpul MIAD for me, and I added the rest. I changed the MOE buttstock for a Vltor modstock, added a PRI gasbuster CH, a VTAC flashlight mount, with a Surefire G2(LED). I adjusted the VFG to fit me a little better(I have short arms), and cut the rail cover so I have a little stretch just ahead of the VFG. Now I'm just keeping my eyes open for an optic and a sling... and ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    is the gasbuster worth its money? and which version would you recommend?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    is the gasbuster worth its money? and which version would you recommend?
    I find that it's a worthwhile addition when shooting a suppressed weapon, but that's about it. I do like the PBI Big Latch, but that can be purchased separately for about $20 and installed on the existing changing handle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    check.thx.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the PRI, both the "military latch" by itself and the Gas Buster on suppressed guns.

Pat Rogers has been reporting a rather disturbing number of these latches causing the roll pin to snap, presumably due to the change in geometry caused by the extended lever. There also doesn't appear to be a way to predict when the failure may come.

This certainly isn't a scientific report, and I still use mine, butb I thought I'd put it out there as a side note.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think that's attributable to the added leverage the handle gives you, instead that when the latch is fully opened, it allows the latch itself to make a first class lever with the hand exerting force on the lever rearwards, the side of the handle acting as the fulcrum and the roll pin having to absorb all the shock.
    This condition is nonexistent in the stock geometry - so the roll pin wouldn't need to able to withstand hundred of pounds of force. My guess is that the M84's run above-spec roll pins because this is expected.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used a Badger Tac Latch for a while. After it ripped out my appendix and broke several of my ribs I took it off. It was always poking into me or getting hung up on something. I have never tried the PRI.

In other news, the mail man just brought me a black EMOD yesterday. I'll give it a shot and see if I like it better then the CTR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Explaining my AR.

Here is my AR. It is a DPMS Panther™ AP4 Car. Miculek Comp. model. I have added an EOTech 557 w/ EOTech 3X Magnifier, Magpul rear MBUS, Magpul MOE Hand Guards, Magpul MIAD Pistol Grip, Command Arms Short Vertical Grip, Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard, Magpul MS2 Single Point Sling, Magpul ASAP. I also have an inexpensive bipod, but that is not on the rifle regularly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First things first – I will apologize in advance for the backdrop and promise to do better in the future.

Now, what I have and why. Once upon a time, in my infinite wisdom, I thought the best way to learn about an AR-15 was to build one from scratch. So, April 11, 1984 I received into inventory a pre-ban A2 matched upper and lower receiver from SGW – Schutzen Gun Works. They later became Olympic Arms. I won’t say they were just getting started, but the receiver has a four digit serial number, and the first digit is a one.

I also ordered a 16 inch heavy match barrel in Stainless Steel with a one in nine twist. I planned to use 55 or 60 grain bullets only and thought that was the best twist for me. The barrel came with the front sight / gas block installed in carbine length. That is the only component I did not install myself. I used all Mil-Spec parts for the assembly, most purchased at a gun show, or ordered as a "kit" from SGW with the rifle.

I installed an A2 full stock instead of a collapsible stock. My knuckles do not drag the ground, but there are some occasional bare spots around the third joints. I like the extra length of the rifle stock. I am looking at the VLTOR stock in the rifle version – but I want to shoulder one before I buy.

Below is a picture of the completed (for now) upgrades that were recently done.

Some may question the Pachmeyer grip, but it was installed when I was really into revolvers, and I like the way it feels. It is slightly sticky and is their Decelerator composition. I would have used the word tacky instead of sticky, but you would have laughed and agreed for the wrong reason. Picture also shows the MagPul enhanced trigger guard.

I am getting a little old for “clearing” exercises, but wanted a light on the AR anyway. I am a fan of SureFire lights. I have an E2 Defender, 6P Defender and a 9P; all with lamp upgrades. The downside is battery life. So I went with a G2 LED. The lumen output is 80. The 6P was 60 until I installed the 120 light upgrade, so 80 is right in the middle, but the burn time is estimated at 12 hours instead of 60 minutes. I wanted to be able to reach the on button with my thumb from the FAB Defense Vertical Grip, so I used a Daniel Defense Offset Light Mount shown below. After reviewing the photos, I will probably move the light back the last eighth of an inch for better reach.

I had an AimPoint 2000 Red Dot Sight, but never got used to the dot thing. I’m just a cross-hair kind of guy. I wish the scope was matte, but the Leupold 1.5 x 5 was in inventory, and is (in my opinion) a perfect scope for the AR class of rifle. The Carry-Handle rail is GG&G which allows use of the iron sights and slightly hoods the rear A2 sight. That seems to cut down on glare just a little. Shown below from the right side.

Next up was a sling. The Gear Sector link looked to have quality products, and had what I wanted, so I ordered a black 2-point with an extra QD tab for the front.

I really don’t like the buttstock sling mount, so I ordered a Daniel Defense A2 Burnsed Ambi loop. You can also see the left side of the Leupold in the shot below.

Top down view of the DD Burnsed.

I chose the Midwest Industries front sight rails, and their heavy duty QD sling swivel mount.

I selected the FAB Defense Vertical Grip primarily because of the country of origin. The Israeli’s seem to know something about building weapons and components, and it has a life-time warranty.

I selected the GG&G front hand-guard rail because it was tapered and leveled the mount points. I also picked the UTG rail cover because it fit without cutting. It is soft rubber and very comfortable against the top of your hand when gripping the vertical.

It has been a fun project, and the old girl shoots (on a real good day) between ¾ and 1.5 MOA with Remington 60 grain match and my hand loaded 55 grain V-Max. Sorry to be so long winded but the thread title was “Explain your AR-15 Layout”. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Last edited by Jerry R; 10 May 2009 at 07:49.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    My issued patrol rifle
    Colt 6933
    TLR-1 mounted on a rail bottom of the M4 handguards, EOTech 512, GG&G BUIS,
    2pt sling
    issued w/2 20 colt mags, Pmag in for the photo.
    No changes authorized
    Last edited by 103m 95g; 11 July 2009 at 16:40.

Downloads
    Uploads

This was my first build and I intended to use it for home defense. I wanted to choose components as light as possible while still achieving the purpose. Here goes:

Magpul CTR
    Extremely light, but very durable and no wobble.

Magpul ASAP plate + MS2
    Allow me to swing the rifle to either side as quickly as possible, and to switch from 1-point to 2-point and back.

Magpul MBUS
    Light, affordable, and easy operation.

Magpul MIAD
    Gave me a fatter grip than the standard A2 grip (I have long fingers), and gave a nice tacky feel with no slip.

Aimpoint T-1
    Switched my Comp ML2 and haven't regretted it one bit. Much lighter, and the smaller diameter has not bothered me.

Larue 11.0 rail
    I wanted as little clutter as possible in my sight picture, so I decided to go with flip-up sights instead of the standard FSB. The 11.0 was the shortest length that would cover the gas block. The Daniel Defense Lite Rail 12.0 is lighter than this 11.0, but the weight would reside farther from the center of gravity.

Tango Down QD VFG
    I wanted a quick detach VFG to switch between future builds. I had not discovered Larue's FUG yet when I purchased this. :) I have one on backorder now.

Surefire X300
    This is the lightest solution I found while still being plenty bright and having enough throw for home defense situations. I use a thumb-high grip so the 12 o'clock feels most natural to me. I can use my thumb to operate the switch or to deploy the front sight without much drama.

AAC Blackout
    Least amount of flash is good.

BCM Upper
    Durable, with a relatively light gov't profile barrel. Didn't really need sub-MOA precision.

Magpul PMAG
    Bombproof.

Magpul enhanced trigger guard
    In case I ever need to use gloves, I have more room.

LMT Charging handle
    You can't see it in the pic, but the bigger latch makes it much easier to do one-sided pulls.
    Last edited by pneutin; 11 May 2009 at 09:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of photos in this thread with no "explaining". Thought the point here was to post the picture AND say why you chose what you did.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had meant to type up an explanation but it was late at night when I posted the pic. Updated my previous post :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    No pics yet, but here's what I'm working on (back to front):

Magpul UBR Stock (backordered)
    Tactical Innovations T15 BDX lower
    Mega A3 upper and charging handle w/ Badger Tac Latch
    Fail Zero BCG
    Timney Drop In Trigger Group (4 #'s)
    Magpul MIAD Grip
    Daniel Defense Lite Rail 9.0
    Adams Arms Mid-length Piston System
    18" SS Cut-rifled barrel from Satern Barrels (On order)
    Tromix Shark Break (Will be ordering very soon)
    Bobro Vertical Grip
    YHM Flip-ups

I haven't decided on optics or mounting systems yet, but I'll get there. Also, I was hoping to acquire a Vltor MUR upper and have one on backorder (I'm not about to pay $400-500 for a part that usually sells for 1/2 that!) In any case, it's one step at a time...I hope to have it shootable by Christmas. Wish me luck! =)