Magpul UBR Stock (backordered)
    Tactical Innovations T15 BDX lower
    Mega A3 upper and charging handle w/ Badger Tac Latch
    Fail Zero BCG
    Timney Drop In Trigger Group (4 #'s)
    Magpul MIAD Grip
    Daniel Defense Lite Rail 9.0
    Adams Arms Mid-length Piston System
    18" SS Cut-rifled barrel from Satern Barrels (On order)
    Tromix Shark Break (Will be ordering very soon)
    Bobro Vertical Grip
    YHM Flip-ups

I haven't decided on optics or mounting systems yet, but I'll get there. Also, I was hoping to acquire a Vltor MUR upper and have one on backorder (I'm not about to pay $400-500 for a part that usually sells for 1/2 that!) In any case, it's one step at a time...I hope to have it shootable by Christmas. Wish me luck! =)

What made you decide to go with those parts?

Downloads
    Uploads

I built this Retro’ish carbine last year utilizing mostly 'used' parts along with a newly released Olympic Arms barrel and bolt in the .221R / 5.54x39mm chambering … the build pretty much came together in one afternoon; other than the final process of pinning and welding of the 5.5in flashhider

XM-177 Retro Parts List

Olympic Arms SS .221R barrel assembly 1:8 twist rate.
    Complete 5.45x39mm bolt w/ firing pin.
    A1 upper receiver w/ tear drop forward assist and w/o case deflector. *
    OA barrel 16in / cut to 11.5in (pinned and welded) with 5.5in. Slotted Flash Hider.
    Gas hole on the barrel was opened up .002 larger.
    MAX-15 Skull lower receiver.
    Olympic Arms (LPK).
    CAR style (3) position collapsible buttstock. *
    A1 USGI pistol grip *
    semi-custom triangle handguards w/ aluminum liner. *

( * ) denotes used part:

Last edited by Globemaster; 16 May 2009 at 22:18.
    The Nonsense Stops! … when the Hammer Drops!

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok let me preface this by saying none of this is done and it is just a plan. I have a S&W VTAC waiting for me when I get back from Afghanistan, and below is my plan for it.

Vltor EMOD in FDE
    Magpul MAID in FDE
    Magpul enhanced trigger guard
    Larue LT 15-10 10" Tube
    Troy Front and rear BUIS
    Magpul XTM Panels in FDE
    Tango Down Stubby in FDE
    PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
    Magpul ASAP
    Blue Force Gear UDC Sling
    AAC Blackout 51T
    Trijicon TR24G 1-4x in a Larue LT-104 Mount
    and plenty of FDE P Mags
    Last edited by jp0319; 27 May 2009 at 08:53.

Downloads
    Uploads

14.5" 1:7 M4 profile: Wanted a short barrel for getting in and out of vehicles/doorways without the SBR hassle. I like the lightweight M4 profile over a standard medium/HBAR profile. On the BCG I added the bolt extractor upgrades to ensure positive extraction and function. I run an H buffer as well since I'm using a short gas system. No problems out of them.

Phantom: Good comp/flash hider. Would have gone with an AAC Blackout but it wasn't out at the time. Didn't like the "ping" with the Vortex. May replace it with an AAC.

MIAD: Best grip size/shape for me. My perfect grip was an A2 with a Hogue sleeve over it. Perfect swell, great texture/grippiness. But after a very short while they would tear on gear or whatever and I'd have to replace them. I wish the MIAD was a little wider, but it is the best I've found. The storage isn't a big deal to me, although I keep some extractor parts, a FP retaining pin, and a bore reflector in there. The integral guard I like far better than the GI version. No middlefinger knuckle wear/torn gloves.
    Vltor Modstock: Battery storage (I can hold 2 AAs and 3 123s), very rugged, wide surface for cheekweld, doesn't wobble. Room for foamies left over. Tethered the storage caps on my black Modstock but I haven't done it on this one yet.

Troy Battlesight: The default apeture when the sight is pulled up is the large one. I didn't care for always having to flip to the large ap on the ARMS unit that I used to have. The sight is well-built, and both aps are same-plane so I don't have any considerations for adjusting aim when switching between the two. My biggest concern is that the sight locks in the up position. I would be more worried about this out in front but I don't think it will be a serious issue on a rear sight.

EOTech: AA battery, long battery life (hopefully), rugged, A65 reticle which as a long-time Aimpoint user I am liking more and more each day, auto-off. Considering the Accucam and the lens-cover. I liked the peace of mind of a sacrificial lens on my Aimpoint and I'd like the same thing on the EOThingy.

DD Omega: Great rail. Light, freefloat, easy install, no mods needed to stock parts, low profile. I had an RASII for a long time that worked great with my Aimpoint, but the hump cost me real estate up top. The Omega is a little slimmer, although taller. The pseudo monorail allows me to push the EOThingy out a little farther leaving room for my Aimpoint magnifier and BUIS without having to have the optic planted out on the forward rail, which I would rather avoid. Integral QD holes at the rear of rail mean I don't have to have the DD QD mount as on the RASII. I can also switch my EOThingy out for an ACOG on an ADM mount and keep my BUIS mounted. Couldn't do that with my RASII as the ADM mount was just slightly too long.

SureFire 6P converted to 9V: Calvin helped me out with this one. I carry SF 6 and 9V handhelds of various sorts, so I wanted some commonality. Calvin set me up with a weaponlight head and rear battery adapter so I could run a 9V lamp assembly. He also got me the pushbutton tailcap with the guard around it to prevent accidental discharges. I don't care for tape switches, so this was a must for me. With the common parts between pretty much all of my lights, I can swap pieces back and forth between my lights. If I need to use a 6V lamp assembly all I have to do is remove the rear adapter and change the lamp assembly. I may eventually switch out for the VFG light.

XTM panels: I used to use the KAC panels on my RASII. It made for a great protection for the rails and from heat, but was very wide. I also had to slide them on from the end. The XTM lets me put the panels on from anywhere. they are a slimmer profile and have held up well. For those that want to improvise camo the color choices allow that. The raised ribs proivde a great, slip-resistent surface.

PRI Big Latch: I like the extra grip surface of the latch without it being overly large as with some of the others that snag and stab. The latch is big enough to be easily hooked when needed but out of the way when not.

SPRE: I like the low profile sling loop. It is out of the way for manipulations and the 1" Gear Sector webbing allows for the smaller protrusion. Webs that are wider require more loop width which means it has to stick out farther. I am not a fan of the ambi loops and the loop/HK hook combo mounts. I'm thinking about mounting one of the QD capable end plates or clamp units.

GS-2P: Great sling, I've used Gear Sector stuff for a long time. I've got a review on the GS-2P here if you want all the reasons I like it.

TD QD VFG: If you have big hands this grip will fit your mitt. I like the width of the VFG and it provides a good anchor point for my support hand while allowing me to hit the tailcap on my light without contorting my hand. I don't use a tapeswitch currently so I don't utilize the switch pocket. I do keep a pair of AAs in the storage compartment. The QD feature bypass some of the problems previously found on the non-QD VFGs. If I need to take the grip off, obviously the QD feature allows me to do so without having to remove any panels.

Last edited by m24shooter; 31 May 2009 at 09:59. Reason: Clarity

Downloads
    Uploads

cmmg lower
    DD A2 burnsed loop
    Sully stock
    Gear Sector 2 pt sling
    miad grip
    Noveske N4 basic upper
    Aimpoint ML2 with Larue LT-150 mount
    DD 7" Omega Rail
    Surefire 6p in a Larue offset mount
    Surefire muzzle brake
    started out as a NY compliant n4 basic upper from Rainier Arms. i wanted a simple go to gun for casual shooting and defense. sully stock was a natural choice for me being in a ban state and this stock is the perfect length and is bomb proof. added the light and the Omega and a vfg after realizing i wanted rails. decided on the ml2 because it was inexpensive and tough and larue's mounts are tough and repeatable. got rid of the vfg and tried out the gear sector and loved it. a great light weight rifle.

Noveske N4 Light Lopro
    Sully stock
    DD A2 burnsed loop
    Vicker's/Larue 2 pt sling
    miad grip
    Aimpoint T-1 in a Larue LT-660
    Surefire by G and R Tactical in a Larue offset mount
    Surefire muzzle brake
    bought this as a complete rifle. n4 light lopro. it came with a vltor a1 clubfoot. i added the sully and DD a2 burnsed loop. aimpoint t-1 in a larue and found the t-1 to be awesome . i love it! the Surefire is from G&R tac. its customized by Grant. I had it in my safe after selling the bushy it was on.it's also in a larue offset. Vicker's/Larue sling is padded and comfortable although a little busy. this gun also had a vfg that I took off recently. both rifles have magpul rail covers and Badger tac latches.
    i'm really loving the longer rails, clutter free sight picture and balance of the N4 light lopro. If the SHTF, i'll be grabbing the N4 Light and the girlfriend (if she dares) will have the N4 Basic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good post. I have one of Grant's lights too. Good little light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks m24shooter! Now I just have to get these noveskes, my G19 and my lazy ass to a class to learn how to use them a lot better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magwell grip - This was just a novelty item I put on, but I ended up liking it. It's ideal if you are shooting over a barrier and need a close grip on your rifle.

Stark SE-1 Grip - I posted a review under the ar-15 discussion forum.

This is my first gun. It has a 21" heavy barrel. It was made by PWA, which I've heard is an excellent company that has since gone out of business and been bought by another great AR manufacturer.

My plan for this gun is to get a medium weight 16" barrel and do a 'dissipator' design so I have less weight and length with max sight radius.

Edit: Eh, I'm going to bed. I'll post my pictures once I get them on my photo site.

If someone could explain why my pics show up as links and not images, that would be great.
    Last edited by iamjonscranium; 9 June 2009 at 17:24.

Downloads
    Uploads

The why's and why nots...

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What made you decide to go with those parts?
    Hey Stick,
    Let’s try this again. I had typed up damned near full page before and in the process was timed out on the site – losing the whole page. I’m gonna have to remember that for later when lengthy posts.

So the reason for this build is to fulfill my def of the consummate SPR weapon. A truly versatile weapon that has the ability to reach out and touch someone yet is also lightweight and quick enough to be handled in tight quarters.

That being said I’ll try to tackle this like I did the initial post, back-to-front:

Magpul UBR stock – I was originally gonna go with the PRS, but it doesn’t lend itself as readily to that versatility that I’m lookin for. I also looked at the Vltor EMod and CAA SRS. The EMod is a great stock, but I feel the UBR is stronger and has better overall feel to me. As for the SRS…there is just WAY too much goin on there…I like to keep my guns simple.

T.I. T15 lower – I like billet. I would have gone with another brand such as LaRue, POF or Sun Devil if they had presented themselves and the price was right, but it just so happened that a local shop had 3 of the T.I’s in stock when I was looking. So T. I. it was.

Mega upper – I would like a Vltor MUR, but I refuse to pay the inflated prices that they are currently going for or LaRue if I could get one and actually, I have each of these backordered. I went with the Mega over the standard key hole uppers simply because I know Mega as a sure and worthy manufacture of AR parts.

2nd gen Mega charging handle and Tac latch - I like 2nd gen Tac latch cause it is solid and not hollowed out like the gen I’s, which I believe results in a stronger part. The 2nd gen Mega charging handle has those great little grooves milled into it…lol. Aside from that it just matches the upper. I don’t require a gasbuster as I’m not likely to be shooting suppressed and this is not a SBR.

Fail Zero BCG – I love this BCG! If it proves to be as reliable and it runs as clean as it states…who wouldn’t. I looked at the YM’s SS BCG’s and at JP BCG’s, but when I realized that the Fail Zero was only a few dollars more…it was a no brainer.

Timney trigger – I went with the Timney simply because I know them. I have Timney’s on several of my bolt guns and they leave me worry free. Also, I like the drop in style. I have two just in case something happens to the one is use…it’s a quick simple change out.

Magpul MIAD – It’s magpul quality and it’s the most adaptable grip out there.

DD lite rail – I like the feel of this rail. It’s comfortable and doesn’t feel out of proportion in my hands. I thought about the DD Omega rail, but I’d rather have a 1 pc over a 2 pc just for strength and stability. Also it doesn’t require milling for the AA piston system that I’ll be using.

AA piston system – I looked at TNW, PWS and ARES systems before settling on the AA. The TNW and the ARES I found to be very similar to the first gen LWRC system that was discontinued and the PWS is basically the AA system which is similar to the LWRC 2nd gen system. Another great feature is that a layman can work on the AA system – relatively speaking that is. I understand that CMMG also has a retrofit system that I haven’t looked at this point.

18” custom barrel – I had planned on using Sabre Defenses’ SPR barrel, but a buddy told me about a nice little custom shop that offering cut-rifle barrels for a competitive price with a shorter wait. It was a no brainer after that. I’ll add that I ruled out the Noveske 18” barrels on the same grounds as the MUR upper – great product, but inflated prices.

Tromix shark break – Have you seen this thing? I love it! In a word – WICKED. I like to call this thing the squealer…if I dug this thing into you leg and gave it a twist you’d squeal like a pig and then tell me anything I wanted to hear.

The rest is just dressing really…LaRue this, Bobro that or Yankee Hill whatever. It’s basically Ford vs. Chevy to me. I will add that you won't find a bunch of gear hangin off my weapon. I like the High-speed / Low-drag angle of things.

So that’s it. I’d be happy to answer more questions or clarify in greater detail if asked.

Cheers! And stay low…

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjonscranium View Post
    If someone could explain why my pics show up as links and not images, that would be great.
    Your hosting site should offer a link that starts with [IMG] that is the one you want to copy into your posts.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads

Noveske Afghan Battle Rifle Final concept

Final Concept:

Upper Receiver:

14.5 Noveske N4 Afghan with stainless steel 5.56 barrel with pinned Smith Vortex flash supressor. It also comes with VLTOR MUR upper reciever. Very solid design and a top notch quality product. I choose the 14.5 length to decrease the overall length of the rifle.

Rail Panels:
    Magpul XTM with different shades to give the rifle a unique look. Easy to install but pain in the ass on removal.
    Magpul ladder FDE/Black Top/Bottom

BUIS:
    Troy Folding Battle Sight FDE - i choose these over the Magpul MBUS for it's robust nature and quality and it gives the rifle a low profile look.

Vertical Grip:
    Tango Down Short Vertical Grip - lightweight and better than Larue FUG IMO. No wobble or play compared to the FUG.

Lower Receiver:
    Kaiser Defense - hate the logo but really good quality not to mention it's made in San Diego California.

Optic:
    Trijicon ACOG 4x32 TA01ECOS Sight - gives me long distance view and Doctor Red Dot for close quarters. The best of both worlds all in one. My only complain is it's eye relief.

Grip:
    Magpul MIAD Grip FDE - better grip compared to others even when m hands are wet or using gloves.

Stock:
    Magpul UBR FDE - very solid and sturdy except it's quite heavy but i still love it. it gives better cheek weight compared to the CTR.

Sling:
    VCAS Padded 2 point sling - it gives better weight distribution and can easily be adjusted even when wearing a body armor. I tried the Magpul MS2 but i feel like i'm being choke in single point configuration. The rifle is a tad heavy and gives me problem when i transitioned to my secondary. So opted or the padded 2 point.

Light:
    Surefire X300 - lighweight and easy to manipulate.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ead.php?t=1222

^^^^
    more pix on the link above.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice...

That's some damned fine iron you got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    These were explained earlier in the thread:

Daniel Defense SPR
    Colt HBAR
    LMT CQBR

Downloads
    Uploads
    I copied the location from properties and pasted it in the 'insert image' thing that gives it the . when i go to edit my post the img's are there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Current cheepo setup:

-Stock DPMS lower
    -16" heavy Del-Ton upper
    -YHM Specter gas block
    -cheap 3-9 scope

Still to go

-Vltor Emod
    -Vltor MUR
    -Noveske 12.5" Crusader barrel
    -Noveske QD endplate
    -Larue lo profile gas block
    -Trijicon TA31F on Larue mount
    -Trijicon RMR on DD 1 O'Clock mount
    -Larue 11" Free float Rail
    -Surefire suppressor
    -Magpul MIAD
    -Magpul MS2 sling
    -Magpul XTM rail covers
    -Magpul MOE trigger guard
    -TangoDown VFG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Newbie here .......... I acquired my first AR 8 months ago. It's a stock Stag 2TL (lefty) with .......

A.R.M.S. 40L rear sight
    Standard front post
    Ambi safety selector
    LMT collapsible mod stock
    Samson Star C quad rail
    Ergo ambi suregrip pistol grip
    Ergo VF grip
    EOTech 557
    Safariland RLS

Then I got into some builds...........

Rock River lower and LPK
    M1 Sales 16" carbine upper in 5.56
    Magpul MOE collapsible stock in FDE (Dark Earth)
    Magpul Pmag(s) FDE
    Ergo ambi Sure Grip FDE
    Midwest Industries 4 rail handguard (non-free float) FDE
    Midwest Industries flip up rear sight FDE
    Ambi safety

And then a throw together mutt .............

Rock River lower
    MA Parts LPK
    M1 Sales 20" rifle upper in 5.56
    Stag collapsible stock (leftover from the 2TL)
    Cammenga 30 rd EasyMag ........ I need to get some 20's
    Stock grip and handguard
    I've since put a Rock River carry handle on it.

I just got my hands on a Stag 20" 4L (lefty) upper and the plan is to put it on a Stag lower, Stag LPK, standard front post and carry handle, Furniture in Foliage Green with a A2 fixed stock. Any suggestions guys?
    Last edited by Beaux; 16 June 2009 at 18:03.