Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Did SS lose the form 3 or the ATF?

Also, form 3 times vary. Last summer SS submitted my form 3 in July and it wasn't approved until the very end of October. Not their fault, though.
    I had a Form 3 transfer a few years ago from Gun Gallery to RA. Not sure who lost the Form 3, but it ended up taking over a year for a Form 3. ATF did fast track my Form 4 because of the hold ups, and had it a month later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Also, form 3 times vary. Last summer SS submitted my form 3 in July and it wasn't approved until the very end of October. Not their fault, though.
    One of the reasons I really dislike the SS changes. I won't form 3 unless I am forced. I've had several people say they have had similar experiences.

Vel has a legit gripe though. I would be pissed too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Frustration with Silencer Shop...

Cotton had the same thing happen last year. Took him almost a year I think. They blamed the ATF I believe as well but how many times is it their(ATF) fault before the fault starts falling elsewhere...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bush fault
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had three transactions through SS. Their prices were the lowest I could find at the time of each purchase. All painless, and easy, with the last suppressor being shipped and delivered hassle free to my door the end of May. I live 10 hours away in basically BFE. I drove up to get the first one, but had the last two shipped. That was easy as well. Given the outrageous volume of paperwork and hardware that is processed and delivered I'm sure there is bound to be an unfortunate snafu or two. Not making excuses, but I've had some of the finest retailers screw things up a time or two as well. Society wants $15/hr to flip a burger, so I can't imagine it's easy to fill a company with the best and brightest. If SS has changed their business model, then so be it. After all, it's his business and he's probably going to do what's best for it. If you don't like it, then just take your money elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Researching, SS was the only shop I could find that had an AAC 762-SD in stock. Placed an online order on July 17th. Received a confirmation email and serial number the next day. On August 25th I sent an email requesting a status update. In less than five minutes I received a reply stating "Your Form-3 was approved yesterday. When we receive the approved form in the mail, we will ship the suppressor to your SOT." Now, not sure how they know my Form-3 was approved if they did not actually receive the approved form in the mail, but ... Not questioning the response unless I don't receive a tracking number in the next few days.

So far, hard for me to complain. But I am not a Texas resident and would have had to do a Form-3 regardless. On social media They posted a picture of a stack of approved Form-4 "Stamps" on their scales that weighed over 3 pounds, with the comment "Some people will be getting an early Christmas." Implication was that all those came in a batch.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    That stack is what they get every month from the ATF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know a dealer could ship a suppressor to another dealer before the form 3 is approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Vel View Post
    As Alamo knows, I've been dealing with an equally inconvenient transaction with Silencershop as of late. I'll share my story to at least give people an insight to form their own opinions. I've never been one to bash a company or wish them ill fate but sometimes people need to know the details. I'm from Ohio first off so the form 3 was a given, figured a couple weeks at most and 3-4 month wait til I had the Saker in hand.

4/20/15 I purchased a Saker 7.62 through their direct program, which is no longer in use therefore I can't request my fee be refunded (how convenient). Bought the trust, tax stamp fee and suppressor through them so everything was in line, within 30 minutes I had my trust and local dealer picked out. 4/20 the form 3 was submitted and the next day I had my trust filled out, notarized and sent back in.

6/12/15 I send an email to see if there was any update as I would have thought I'd receive one by now from the form 3 approval and form 4 sent in along with the check being cashed. Response I got back was minimal at best, "No update yet when you're from 3 approves we will notify you and send you an email. Kind regards, Jarrott" Now read that a couple times and I'm not one to be a grammar nazi but c'mon, do they have a 1st grader as an intern replying to emails??

7/28/15 Quick update to let me know that the Saker is being shipped to my local dealer. Call them and this is the first they were aware of the transfer, 3 months AFTER the initial purchase. Track the package and it arrives as planned. Cool, couple stumbles but no big deal, should be a couple more weeks until I have my stamp and suppressor.

8/24/15 Get an email update saying the check was cashed and the application was received by the ATF. Well WTF, you mean it took 4 months for a form 3 to come back?? Here's the email I sent and the reply I got back.

"I guess being this is my first NFA purchase I don't completely understand the timeline well enough yet. So my Form 3 approval took roughly 4 months, the Form 4 that was dated 4/21 was submitted I'm guessing around 8/17, then the check cashed 8/24 and now I have to wait 3-4 more months to get the approval on that and my tax stamp?"

"Good Afternoon,

You are correct on the timeline. For this order.

Your original form 3 was lost and had to be resubmitted to the ATF. We should have communicated this to you sooner. I’m sorry for the lack of an update. If you do decide to order from us in the future your form 3 wait time should not take that long.

Thanks,
    Chase Smith"

That's it, nothing about refunding my $70 direct fee that they charge, just a dry we f'd up and have a nice day email. Now I can't say they lost it in house or it was lost en-route but when I pay your extra fee for you to do all the paperwork, I expect there to be more accountability.

Now will I go to them for my next purchase? I don't know yet. Like I said at the beginning though, I don't wish them ill fate or to go out of business or anything like that. I think there were miscommunications that shouldn't have happened and unfortunately I got the short end of the stick. With that said, make your own conclusions and choices when buying a suppressor. Would I recommend them as a place to go for a one stop shop, yes. Do I think there are better alternatives be it more initial leg work, yes. Do I understand that you probably want to punch me in the throat for making you read all that, hell yes!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Cotton had the same thing happen last year. Took him almost a year I think. They blamed the ATF I believe as well but how many times is it their(ATF) fault before the fault starts falling elsewhere...
    Yep true story I won't use them again

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I didn't know a dealer could ship a suppressor to another dealer before the form 3 is approved.
    I don't believe it was, 7/28 Is when I assume the form 3 was approved.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vel View Post
    I don't believe it was, 7/28 Is when I assume the form 3 was approved.
    Ah, sorry, I misread what occurred on the following date entry. I made the (incorrect) connection the can shipped before the F3 was approved

Lots of people still blame SS for crashing the ATF's servers when the E-File thing was happening, leading to lots of headaches and eventually the ATF shutting it down. They kept mass-uploading and tying up the servers...ultimately the ATF's system couldn't handle it BUT, SS really had no choice as they were paid to do it and they generated a massive amount of Form 3s on a daily basis.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Ah, sorry, I misread what occurred on the following date entry. I made the (incorrect) connection the can shipped before the F3 was approved

Lots of people still blame SS for crashing the ATF's servers when the E-File thing was happening, leading to lots of headaches and eventually the ATF shutting it down. They kept mass-uploading and tying up the servers...ultimately the ATF's system couldn't handle it BUT, SS really had no choice as they were paid to do it and they generated a massive amount of Form 3s on a daily basis.
    The crashing of the ststem was probably a result of allowing people to use it for form 1's. Those users probably outnumber dealers 20 to one. Also the interface was graphic heavy and should have been almost like ms dos in order to handle demand. It wasnt silencer shop that crashed the system.
    Combat vet owned/operated company specializing in the design and manufacturing of industry leading silencers and firearms components. www.GriffinArmament.com PM for WEVO discount code.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
    Follow us on INSTAGRAM
    Follow us on YOUTUBE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFIN ARMAMENT View Post
    The crashing of the ststem was probably a result of allowing people to use it for form 1's. Those users probably outnumber dealers 20 to one. Also the interface was graphic heavy and should have been almost like ms dos in order to handle demand. It wasnt silencer shop that crashed the system.
    This is a question more than a statement because I am really new to the whole NFA thing. But can't you file form 1 online right now? I was under the impression that we can log in and do form 1 ourselves. It seems to handle all those just fine.

That said kind of supporting what you are saying to so.e degree...I saw a graphic that showed NFA items that are out there in public...and silencers (form 4) were way outnumbering SBRs. I think it was 4 or 5 to one or something like that.

Just in what little I've seen it seems like just the sheer volume at all of form 4 was probably at fault.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFIN ARMAMENT View Post
    I was fairly certain SS wasn't to blame; but some articles indicating they did were published and the word sort of circulated forums and got passed around as fact.

I don't (and didn't) use that system so I don't have any first hand experience with it. I have seen a LOT of postings though about people logging on and getting kicked out, unable to upload, etc so I know it did cause a ton of frustration so people were looking for something to blame. Funny they didn't blame the server built and run by the lowest bidder....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is that graphic I was talking about.

It shows 319,797 total SBR and SBS combined vs 792,282 for silencers alone. That's just over 2x the volume.

Last edited by alamo5000; 30 August 2015 at 19:46.