Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm surprised full auto is so high in numbers compared to SBRs, but it makes me happy to know a million people have bought F/A weapons in the last two years. I'm sure in some instances the same gun was bought and resold, but if a million full auto guns were bought in the last two years, I wonder how many Pre-'86 legally transferable guns are out there? And God that law sucks so bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I just made my second purchase with SS. The savings was worth the 3-4 week form 3 filing. So far I'm pleased with their service. I'll follow up in a month when can 1 comes in, and later for 2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I'm surprised full auto is so high in numbers compared to SBRs, but it makes me happy to know a million people have bought F/A weapons in the last two years. I'm sure in some instances the same gun was bought and resold, but if a million full auto guns were bought in the last two years, I wonder how many Pre-'86 legally transferable guns are out there? And God that law sucks so bad.
    The number that gets thrown around is somewhere around ~170K of transferable weapons. I was surprised to see 50K on that chart as well. I'm guessing some of those are LE or dealer transfers. Given the slowdown at the NFA Branch for transfers in 2013 and 2014, I'm not sure people could flip guns that fast, on top of which the MG market appeared to level out in 2014, so flipping a gun wasn't as beneficial.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    The number that gets thrown around is somewhere around ~170K of transferable weapons. I was surprised to see 50K on that chart as well. I'm guessing some of those are LE or dealer transfers. Given the slowdown at the NFA Branch for transfers in 2013 and 2014, I'm not sure people could flip guns that fast, on top of which the MG market appeared to level out in 2014, so flipping a gun wasn't as beneficial.
    That's 500k a year. Either the chart is wrong or there are a whole lot more than 170,000 transferable weapons out there

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's 500k a year. Either the chart is wrong or there are a whole lot more than 170,000 transferable weapons out there
    Do LEO agencies need to transfers the same way civilians do?

I would assume most LEO Agencies can buy new fully auto weapons but they have to go through dealers too... I don't know exactly how that all works but it's a thought. Possibly all those transfers are not merely civilian use and ownership.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're right, I missed the extra zero. That is a ginormous number. While the ATF won't come out and say the exact number, they've said it's around the 170K-200K mark for transferable MGs. That's why I said I'm guessing a lot of those numbers (assuming they're even remotely true) are for manufacturers or LE (which are non-transferable MGs), as Alamo said above. They're still registered in the database and require a Form.

I went to the actual article and it states the data comes from the ATF (in July, so not sure how they know the 2015 numbers yet), but didn't bother to provide a link to the actual report they're quoting, so who knows what the whole story is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I was thinking about this chart on my way to work today and think I figured out the disconnect (at least for me). It looks like the chart is showing total registered, and not total registered in that year. The latter was how I was reading it initially. So from 2014 to 2015, ~30K NEW MGs had been registered. That still seems like a huge number for LE/SOTs, but the total number of ~500K total makes a little more sense. ~200K transferables and ~300K on Form 10s (or whatever the form number is).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, that sounds more accurate. That's actually way worse, because that means the Class III/NFA community is even smaller than I thought. It's made leaps and bounds in the last couple years, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, that sounds more accurate. That's actually way worse, because that means the Class III/NFA community is even smaller than I thought. It's made leaps and bounds in the last couple years, though.
    Yeah. For as long as suppressors and SBRs have been around, you'd think it'd be more. Again, if the article had bothered to actually link the ATF data, it would have been helpful. I'd go look for it, but I've discovered some other new shiny object by now.

That said, ~200K new suppressors in one year is pretty impressive growth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    That said, ~200K new suppressors in one year is pretty impressive growth.
    That would make it somewhere around a $150-$200 million dollar a year industry...that's pretty interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SS sent me an email this morning. Form-3 is back, they shipped it today to my SOT and provided a tracking number. Just under 7 weeks from order placed to shipped to SOT.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    SS sent me an email this morning. Form-3 is back, they shipped it today to my SOT and provided a tracking number. Just under 7 weeks from order placed to shipped to SOT.
    Was the can backordered?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well Silencer Shop just signed up as a Site Sponsor, so I'm hoping they have someone sign in to answer and address some of these questions and issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool they joing
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Well Silencer Shop just signed up as a Site Sponsor, so I'm hoping they have someone sign in to answer and address some of these questions and issues.
    I hope so too. The (one guy) that I have dealt with there has been more than nice. And for the other silencer that I bought from them it so far it's been pretty good but that wasn't through this new system they have. My objection is about 'new' purchases going forward. That said it's not just me who isn't all that excited about some of the stuff going on either. I have heard from several people here and elsewhere about it.

It would be nice to get it addressed.

For me, if given the option I would still rather drive to Austin and visit friends, have a good time and pick up my silencer than I would wait on or even risk waiting on a Form 3. I don't like the idea of being compelled to Form 3 anything merely because of their choice. All it takes is one Form 3 to get screwed up and your stuff goes to never never land. It defeats the entire purpose being buying from a stocking dealer. For me that was my whole point of buying from them in the first place, or at least a major reason.

Fair is fair and everyone should have a chance to explain but the concerns are out there so hopefully they do join the discussion.