I have my reloads pretty much on the mark for my run of the mill shooting. My rifle likes the 69 gr SMK's quite a bit. It most definitely gets the job done for all of my target shooting and so forth.

That said which bullets (actual projectiles) make for better self defense/hunting rounds?

With my rifle it's been so long since I've shot anything other than 69gr... but the point of impact really changes a lot if I swap grain weights, pretty much to the point that I think I might need to rezero the rifle.

I don't know if I should go with a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality or if I should try to find another bullet that will be consistent with a particular load but that has a hunting/SD projectile, just in case we get overrun my zombies I guess.

If there is a different point of impact (and there will be) as long as it's consistent that's fine. I can work with that. I just want to be able to note it down and be able to adjust my optic for that load and be on it.

I was thinking about calling Rainier or Sierra and seeing if they could recommend a bullet that will be consistent for my barrel (1/8 twist RA Select Medcon).

Really though I am happy with what I have now so I am not sure if it's really worth it to hassle with having a hunting/SD round since I don't really hunt that often. That said they don't recommend doing anything except for targets with the 69gr SMK...but those zombies... not sure about them