Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

AR Red Dot or 1-4

AR Optics? I am looking at options for optics. I like red dots. The versatility of a 1-4 is attractive. I picked up a "blue" AR at Academy Sports today. It had a Leupold VX-R Hog on it. It wasn't illuminated, but it seemed pretty easy to get on target quickly. I had both eyes open while trying it and I could see it working pretty well. I have no real experience with any optic on an AR, this seemed very fast and easy. If I went with the 1-4 I am pretty sure I would want an illuminated reticle option. Are 1-4s that much slower than a red dot? Thanks
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think about how you shoot most often. Perhaps a red dot with a swing you the side magnifier would work better for you if you shoot 200 yards or less? You can always add the other later, no matter which you choose.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The red dot is much faster in my experience than the 1-4. You also get unlimited eye relief with a red dot. 100 yards in, a red dot is your winner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Marty why don't you try and shoot irons for awhile. After you use them for a bit you'll have a good feel of what you'll need for your type of shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mission dictates the gear. How will this be used? For general duty in most applications, the red dot is king. Illuminated scopes have a poor battery life compared to optics like an Aimpoint and they are heavier/more bulky. The 1-4 shines in a designated marksman role and for 3-gun type shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, all. I'll be shooting irons for a while. Since I tend to over think things, I thought I would start learning now. In a perfect world, I would have one rifle with a red dot and one with a scope. I was leaning towards a red dot, but noticed how easy it was to put the scope on target. Once I get my iron sights and start shooting, I'm sure I'll be able to try other setups and see which red dot works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I say red dot first then if u get a different uppers try the 1-4 on that one

That is what I love about the AR YOU CAN HAVE one lower and different uppers whit optics
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Since I tend to over think things,
    I feel your pain

At the end of the day the optic makes the shooting experience. Like others have said it all depends on what you want or like to do.

I like shooting at distance so a magnified optic is best. As someone else said it also makes it easier to observe what's going on. IE the cops watching over a scene etc etc.

A red dot is more up close and being on target fast.

I'm not a cop or mitary but if I could pick my job in that regards I think I would be more of a forward observer and/or sniper related stuff. It's just where my interest is at the moment.

Long story short when you think about optics try to think through it with what your end goal is in mind.

We also still need to get together by the way. You can shoot my rifle all you want and get a feel for different set ups.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The place where I'll do the most shooting will probably be in classes at close range. It may be I get another upper (Luis) at some point or I might get a bolt action rifle to make nice tight groups. I wouldn't mind having a 308 or a 6.5 Bolt action for accuracy and long distance shooting. All in good time. First some Iron sights and some ammo. :) I definitely want to get together, Alamo.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're considering a 1-4x, I'd go ahead and look at the 1-6x Vortex StrikeEagleor the 1-6x Primary Arms. No magnified optic is a true 1x (except maybe really high dollar scopes like NF, etc) but the extra magnification offered in those two over the 4x will make a pretty big difference.

I've handled a StrikeEagle and the PA 1-6; both are solid and well built. They have "combat" style reticles for leading, quick acquisition even at longer ranges, etc, but the Vortex lifetime warranty is worth the extra $100, IMO. However, if every dollar counts, I wouldn't hesitate to get the PA optic either

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check my site for a review of the vxr patrol firedot and other RDS's.

You can have both, its just not cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So if I get the money. Big if... But if money wasn't an issue. You are saying I could have both and swap them out depending on my application?

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sold a couple RDS to fund the new Trijicon 1-6. I felt it was a gamble for I never really liked variable optics. That being said after mounting it and putting to shots less than an inch from the bullseye at 50 yards... I was smiling like a school boy who just found a box of playboy's

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Check my site for a review of the vxr patrol firedot and other RDS's.

You can have both, its just not cheap.
    I'll check it out, VooDoo.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    So if I get the money. Big if... But if money wasn't an issue. You are saying I could have both and swap them out depending on my application?
    Invest in quality Quick Detach mounts, like Bobro, and yes.