Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bipod...input request

Here is the bipod I am eyeballing.

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=125

That's a bit of coin for a bipod so before I pull the trigger on it I would ask for feedback on that specific product.

Pros? Cons?

I never hear a negative thing about Atlas but I figure it's better to ask and learn before I fork out the dough.

It says the height is 4.75 to 9 inches... is that enough clearance for an AR with a seated mag? Lets say laying prone on the ground with a 30 rounder... would my mag be bumping the ground or no?

Anything else that I should be asking but haven't yet?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're right, I've never heard a complaint about an Atlas, save for the price.

Which has kept me a loyal Harris customer lol. I use the fixed non swiveling 6-9" bipod that's about $70. Never broken one and I had one on my "Recce" AR for years

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBR.html

Short enough to shoot low prone (with an AR, 20rd mags at this height) or when on a bench, and long enough that you can get some height and use 30rd mags and adjust the legs to uneven ground.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man you're killing me! LOL

All I know is my bipod that I have now was given to me at some point and it really sucks. I definitely need an upgrade.

I don't really know what to get but the Atlas comes highly recommended and I figure if I buy one once that's all I need to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a video comparing the two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-WkipfKzo

(sorry, I forgot how to post video links)

I am still leaning towards the Atlas. I like how it attaches a bit better. That said I am also quite sure a Harris would suit me just fine. I also like the idea that I could put extensions on the legs if ever needed (even if on a different rifle).

And above all right now I am experiencing a moment of financial weakness. I have to buy while I can

On a side note, I am even thinking about getting a couple of 20 round mags simply for bipod shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an Atlas and love it... never thought twice about the price after I installed it on my .308. Never had anything other to compare it to however.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talking to Bobro, I guess they are starting up production on their bipods this year. Another one to consider.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Talking to Bobro, I guess they are starting up production on their bipods this year. Another one to consider.
    Any idea when those might be out?

Got a link?

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a side note I just ordered a couple of Magpul 20 round Pmags. I know, I know. It's almost sacrilegious, but I am going to try them out for bipod shooting.

I only got a couple but if I like them I will order more. I have a couple dozen 30 rounders so I am good on that front.

As far as the bipod goes I am trying to think of a reason to NOT get the Atlas. On all fronts it does look good and so far nobody has mentioned anything negative (other than price).

Honestly I am thinking I will be more than pleased with the Atlas... buy once, cry once. That said I am all about making educated decisions. I don't want to buy crap 'just because'... however I do want stuff with the WEVO seal of approval on it. Honestly I will probably use the bipod a lot so I think it will be a good investment whatever I end up with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyway I guess I really was itching to get one... I guess they have standard pricing even for dealers... however I did find an authorized dealer that was on their list who offered free shipping vs an additional $15 bucks.

Order placed.

I am pretty confident in my choice.

Maybe I will do an unboxing video when it gets here

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why is a 20rd mag sacreligious? Nothing wrong with them. I even use a 10rd mag when I hunt with my AR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Any idea when those might be out?

Got a link?
    No clue, those were informal inquires.

I don't shoot a lot with bipods. If I need stable shooting I use a bench, in the field, the magpod works for me. I do own several Harris bipods, but like I said, I don't shoot much bipod.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Why is a 20rd mag sacreligious? Nothing wrong with them. I even use a 10rd mag when I hunt with my AR
    It's an inside joke. We always make fun and tease about "short mags" and ban this or that states...there are about 9,000 variations on the joke but you get the idea.

For bipod shooting they actually could be better but I was just trying to be funny.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    It's an inside joke. We always make fun and tease about "short mags" and ban this or that states...there are about 9,000 variations on the joke but you get the idea.

For bipod shooting they actually could be better but I was just trying to be funny.
    Gotcha. I do have a shooting buddy that moved here (SC) from California a few years ago. He was having trouble getting a good shooting platform because putting a large bag down to clear the ground and 30rd mag was a goofy height for him, so I offered a 20rd magazine to alleviate the problems. He took a look at it and stuck with the 30 rounder. I guess after years of not being able to have them, he was determined to use them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In order of my preference on bipods I own.

Elite Iron Over priced but extremely over built.
    Atlas Best bang for the buck. Lots of options as far as extensions and feet type.
    GG&G good for light usage.
    Harris need to many add ons to make usable IMO.

I do not own a Bobro but I have been searching for one and will keep a eye out to see if they produce more. I have played with one and they are an engineering work of art.

And 90% of the time I am shooting off a bipod I use 10 round mags. I almost always use a monopod off the stock and even 20's will contact the shooting surface.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Gotcha. I do have a shooting buddy that moved here (SC) from California a few years ago. He was having trouble getting a good shooting platform because putting a large bag down to clear the ground and 30rd mag was a goofy height for him, so I offered a 20rd magazine to alleviate the problems. He took a look at it and stuck with the 30 rounder. I guess after years of not being able to have them, he was determined to use them.
    I am bracing myself for all the crap I'm gonna catch. LOL

I will probably be told to take my communist propaganda back to California LOL

But hey, I got thinking about it and it might actually be better. When the bipod and my other mags get here I will give it a go.