Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post

And 90% of the time I am shooting off a bipod I use 10 round mags. I almost always use a monopod off the stock and even 20's will contact the shooting surface.
    Yeah I was thinking about those too. I will try the 20s and see what happens before I buy more.

As for bipod shooting I just tend to like it. I would like to do other stuff and challenge myself more but we shall see. The other day I was able to use a small sapling which wasn't much of a rest and tag the 600 yard plate from a standing position. I do have to think outside the box though to expand my horizons. The default for me though is bipod...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have shot small deer at 7-800 yards with a .220 swift using a fence rail as a rest. That said if you are looking to shoot groups past 500 you need a 3 point rest and minimal contact with the rifle. Shooting a 23 lb. .338 Lapua off a bipod with a bag under the stock 6" groups at 5-600 were the norm. Switching to a Accu-shot monopod cut those groups in half. I have rang steels off hand with a 5.56 and an ACOG out to 600 yards but there was no accuracy involved. Just walked the rounds in and stuck with the holdover.

I have a box of 10 round Pmags if you want a few to try out. They come with every rifle in Maryland now...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am bracing myself for all the crap I'm gonna catch. LOL

I will probably be told to take my communist propaganda back to California LOL
    I've mentioned it before, but the dirty little secret in CA is how many >10 round mags there are, and how many people have them and use them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a box of 10 round Pmags if you want a few to try out. They come with every rifle in Maryland now...
    Yeah man. I will try them. PM me with what you want for em and I will try a couple.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I've mentioned it before, but the dirty little secret in CA is how many >10 round mags there are, and how many people have them and use them.
    My cousin lives in California and the cops in the area where they live do not enforce the laws for that stuff. The only rules they have is don't talk about it. If word gets out to other people then they have no choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    My cousin lives in California and the cops in the area where they live do not enforce the laws for that stuff. The only rules they have is don't talk about it. If word gets out to other people then they have no choice.
    Except in select cities, there is no state law prohibiting possession of a >10 round magazine. There are internet anecdotes about folks being busted on a nuisance charge, and it's probably happened, but per the law, it's okay to own. The trick used to be to buy repair kits (to repair your previously owned, grandfathered >10 round mags), which could come into the state legally. That option was outlawed in 2014, but possession is still okay. And of course nothing stops anyone from driving to the next door state and buy them legally there, then smuggle them back into the state. Not legal, of course, but it's not like it doesn't happen.

The mag repair kit option was always amusing. Basically equivalent to not being able to buy an axe. You can buy a new axe handle and replace your old handle. Then you can buy a new axe head and replace your old axe head. But you can't buy a new complete axe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Except in select cities, there is no state law prohibiting possession of a >10 round magazine. There are internet anecdotes about folks being busted on a nuisance charge, and it's probably happened, but per the law, it's okay to own. The trick used to be to buy repair kits (to repair your previously owned, grandfathered >10 round mags), which could come into the state legally. That option was outlawed in 2014, but possession is still okay. And of course nothing stops anyone from driving to the next door state and buy them legally there, then smuggle them back into the state. Not legal, of course, but it's not like it doesn't happen.

The mag repair kit option was always amusing. Basically equivalent to not being able to buy an axe. You can buy a new axe handle and replace your old handle. Then you can buy a new axe head and replace your old axe head. But you can't buy a new complete axe.

It's not like any of this gun control bullshit they come up with actually works anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In order of my preference on bipods I own.

Elite Iron Over priced but extremely over built.
    Atlas Best bang for the buck. Lots of options as far as extensions and feet type.
    GG&G good for light usage.
    Harris need to many add ons to make usable IMO.

I do not own a Bobro but I have been searching for one and will keep a eye out to see if they produce more. I have played with one and they are an engineering work of art.

And 90% of the time I am shooting off a bipod I use 10 round mags. I almost always use a monopod off the stock and even 20's will contact the shooting surface.
    If your 20's are contacting the ground, then your pistol grip must be buried, because it hangs down an inch or so lower than a 20 rounder.

I also have had zero issues with a Harris nor needed any add ons to use them. I also intentionally got the types without the swivel/cant etc options, just plain ole adjustable legs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I'm not shooting off sidewalks. Bean fields, corn fields and a good bit of rocky ground. More than once Ive felt my monopod floating and find the mag perched on a clump of soil or a stalk. Much more often with the .308 pattern rifles but also with the 5.56's. Even on my bolt guns the longer A.I. magazines have caused issues.

And bipod a without a swivel and canting motions are horrible IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol ok