Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fireclean...is it just re-branded Crisco Vegetable oil? Video...

Background: George Fennel (the inventor of FP-10 and later Weapon Shield) has stated that FIREClean is identical to Crisco Vegetable Oil. Going so far as to state that on a spectrometer, they have an identical signature.

I set to prove this either correct, or incorrect.

Same-chemicals have same-specific gravities. In other words, they will mix when introduced to one another. This makes sense, right? You pour honey into more honey, and it all looks the same. You pour new motor-oil into a container of the same new motor oil, and they don't "layer", they are indistinguishable. Water into water...water. So on and so forth, provided both chemicals are identical and of the same temperature.

So...I bought some Crisco vegetable oil, and some Fireclean, stored them both at room temperature, and poured them into the same container. Not necessarily conclusive if they mix, but pretty damning of Mr. Fennel's hypothesis of them being identical if they DON'T mix.

Well, here's the video. You decide...does this look like more of the same chemical being introduced to itself?

All said and done, I simply have not found another product which keeps my weapons running longer. Here is another test I did between FIRECLEAN, and LUCAS EXTREME DUTY GUN OIL. My method was to fire 5 rounds on a clean weapon, using 55gr TULA. I then fired 100 rounds of .223 suppressed. Then I removed the suppressor, and fired another 5 rounds of TULA, and noted any ejection pattern changes, as I know that with my weapon, the faster the carrier cycles, the more "forward" the ejection pattern. (I will note that the Troy magazine I used suffered multiple bolt-over-base failures with both products at the same rate, and this rifle has NEVER! had ANY malfunction prior to that.)

Lucas when clean:

Lucas after 100 rounds suppressed:

Fireclean when clean:

Fireclean after 100 rounds suppressed:

You will note that the carrier velocity as depicted by ejection pattern is demonstrated to have almost not changed on the FIREClean lubed weapon, while the Lucas weapon, starting out cycling a bit faster than the FIREClean, by the end, is now cycling slower.

Simply put, my experience with FIREClean is that it works better than any other product, "designer" or not, and now we have another take on whether or not it's "vegetable oil from Crisco"...it sure doesn't act like it!
    Last edited by JGifford; 6 September 2015 at 09:09.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Background: George Fennel (the inventor of FP-10 and later Weapon Shield) has stated that FIREClean is identical to Crisco Vegetable Oil. Going so far as to state that on a spectrometer, they have an identical signature.
    This would not surprise me a bit if true, and would serve to reinforce my opinion that Americans have to be the most gullible marks ever when comes to lubricants of any kind. Any day now I expect to see "FireClean" on the side of somebody's NASCAR car, in which case FireClean sales would skyrocket.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fry up some chicken in both and do a blind taste test.

Seriously though, to show Fennell's claim is baseless, Fireclean will need to file a lawsuit or be perceived as a fraud.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Fry up some chicken in both and do a blind taste test.

Seriously though, to show Fennell's claim is baseless, Fireclean will need to file a lawsuit or be perceived as a fraud.
    I disagree. I think anyone who cares to objectively compare the two can see that FIREClean is not the same. Fennell refuses to supply the print-out/data from the spectrometer, so really, he hasn't done anything but make a statement. I could tell him that Bleu Cheese dressing is identical to Weaponshield on MY spectrometer, but without that spectrometer data...

How on earth can you think that two chemicals are the same chemical...when they won't even mix in the same container at the same temperature!?

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my opinion Fennell would have been better off providing data on his products. FIREclean has good reviews from many resources, the only downfall I see is their price. I personally still use Slip2000 EWL, it has performed well in my firearms.
    By the way good review JGifford.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Instead of worrying about what your competition is doing, it seems more prudent to worry about yourself, your own sales, and product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Instead of worrying about what your competition is doing, it seems more prudent to worry about yourself, your own sales, and product.
    Exactly. This puts a bad taste in my mouth for Weaponshield products now.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I disagree. I think anyone who cares to objectively compare the two can see that FIREClean is not the same. Fennell refuses to supply the print-out/data from the spectrometer, so really, he hasn't done anything but make a statement. I could tell him that Bleu Cheese dressing is identical to Weaponshield on MY spectrometer, but without that spectrometer data...

How on earth can you think that two chemicals are the same chemical...when they won't even mix in the same container at the same temperature!?
    I never said I thought they were the same chemical. Your test looks persuasive to me.

My point: By posting publically Fennel has done injury to Fireclean in the marketplace. If he is wrong, he is liable for damages. A company that does not defend against false accusations looks guilty and will lose sales. For what possible reason would Fireclean not sue?
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doesn't look like they're the same to me. I'm not a scientist but.... I like Gost like Slip 2000 but also use Fireclean

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's lots of drama in this industry, but to me, it seems like certain portions of this industry seek out drama. Same with chicks...er, females. I'm not a huge fan of drama, female or otherwise. Nice job with the "strata video" JGifford.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    Exactly. This puts a bad taste in my mouth for Weaponshield products now.
    I just don't know what you have to gain by proving to use your competition's product is crap. Prove to me your product is great. Like you said, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't use either product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    There's lots of drama in this industry, but to me, it seems like certain portions of this industry seek out drama.
    Good lord...the entire oil industry. Once the product gets to the consumer level the rules of PT Barnum take over. Nobody ever looks at the objective data, they want to use the brand of oil that their pappy told 'em about and by god will defend its superiority to the death. And then, there's the Cult of Amsoil......

I've always loved the guys who say "I've been using XXX for years and have never had a single problem". As if oil-brand related failures were common.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Image if u posted this in ar15.com. their server will crash
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    Image if u posted this in ar15.com. their server will crash
    It was surprisingly chill except for the self-acclaimed nuclear physicist?
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/680...__.html&page=1

Downloads
    Uploads
    He must have worked at Chernobyl.